Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay I felt really bad for not posting yesterday, so here is my penance! Thanks to Cordykitten, MidnightGirl, mer, Opal, spikesbabi, Whitelighter354, LittleTigerBaby, Lisa, Jess, txjmfan, and all of you who review! Y'all are a bunch of peaches!!!!! Kuddos! Discalaimer in full effect!
Buffy sat on her bed at her parent’s house with Mr. Gordo, her stuffed pig, clutched to her chest. She had just gotten off the phone with Spike almost an hour ago and hadn’t been able to stop crying. This was the way it always went. She would talk to Spike and keep up the cheery front but after she hung up she would cry for hours. She missed him so much that it hurt. It was two days till Christmas and Spike wasn’t going to be home until after New Years. Yep, this totally sucked.

Buffy felt a new wave of tears wash over her when there was a soft knock at her door. Wiping away any traces of tears, she called out softly, “Come in.”

Joyce walked into her daughter’s old room and saw her daughter sitting on the bed clutching her child hood toy to her chest, red eyed from crying. Motherly instincts taking over, she rushed over to the bedside and sat down.

“Buffy what’s wrong?” Joyce asked full of concern. She had noticed her daughter had mopping ever since she had come home, and wanted to say something and now seeing her daughter physically upset, was enough for her to voice her concerns.

Buffy wiped at her nose and fought back tears. “Nothing, I’m fine,” she tried to cover with falsely chipper voice.

“You sitting here balling your eyes out is anything but fine Buffy,” Joyce informed her daughter resolutely.

“Mom it’s nothing really.”

“Buffy for the last four days you have done nothing but mope around the house. The only time you seem happy is…” Joyce trailed off seeming to realize why her daughter was upset. Letting a knowing look cross her face, she stated matter a factly, “It’s William.”

How had she not figured this out sooner?

Buffy felt raw panic course through her. “Mom please don’t tell Dad,” she pleaded.

“How long has this been going on?” Joyce asked calmly.

“About a month,” she answered softly.

“Well I have to say that I figured something like this would happen, so honestly I’m not that surprised, but I am a little disappointed you didn’t say something sooner,” Joyce replied giving her daughter a pointed look.

Buffy let her shoulders sag. “Mom if I hade told you and Dad, then you would have made me move back home,” Buffy explained.

“Well as far as your father goes, you’re probably right,” Joyce commented knowingly.

“But you could have come to me Buffy,” she said, feeling a bit hurt.

“I’m sorry, I was just scared you would have told Dad,” Buffy apologized.

Joyce took her daughter in her arms. “I know, and I understand.” Then pulling Buffy at arms length, she gave her a resolute look. “But from now on, no more secrets, understand?”

“Understood,” Buffy agreed.

Joyce nodded her head and then looked her daughter in the eyes. “So tell me, how serious are you and William?” she asked, her underlying tone indicating what she really meant.

Buffy felt her eyes go wide. Oh God, was her mother actually asking is they were having sex!? Buffy felt like she might be sick. Sure she was close with her mother, but not that close.

“Mom if you’re asking what I think you’re asking, don’t go there,” Buffy stated resolutely.

“Buffy as your mother, I need to know so we can take certain precautions,” Joyce informed her daughter determinedly.

“Mom I am so not talking about this with you,” Buffy groaned flopping back and using a pillow to cover her face. Could this be any more embarrassing?

Joyce removed the pillow from her daughter’s face. “Buffy if you want to continue to live on your own then I suggest you indulge me on this one, because honestly, this is not up for discussion,” Joyce stated giving her daughter the patented mother look.

Buffy sat up and let out a groan of frustration. “Fine,” Buffy relented unwillingly.

Joyce took a deep breath and prepared herself for the one thing no mother ever wants to her come from her unwed child’s mouth.

“Are you and William having sex?”

Buffy closed her eyes and forced her mouth to form the words. “Yes,” she all but whispered.

Joyce felt like her heart might break. She knew this day would come, but she had honestly hoped that either Buffy would be married as she was or at least fifty.

Letting out a heavy sigh, she asked, “Have you two been careful?”

Buffy was torn. She could tell the partial truth and say yes, because they had in fact been careful after the first time, or she could go with the all out truth and tell her mother that she had had unprotected sex once and had been more careful from then on out. Knowing that if she were indeed pregnant, a lie would turn around and bite her in the ass, so she went with the only explanation that seemed to cover it.

“Sort of.”

“What do you mean ‘sort of’?” Joyce asked with slight hysteria in her voice.

“Well we uh….we didn’t use anything the first time,” Buffy explained meekly.

“Oh Buffy,” Joyce groaned and put her hand over her face.

“But we’ve been careful every time since then,” Buffy quickly added.

Joyce looked up at her daughter with a look. “Well it really doesn’t matter if you’re pregnant already.”

“I know,” Buffy stated beginning to feel the fear build up in her stomach.

“Buffy I thought you were smarter than this,” Joyce replied, disappointment evident in her voice.

“I’m sorry Mom, I just wasn’t thinking,” Buffy sobbed.

As disappointed as she was with her daughter, she was still her mother and felt the need to comfort her. Taking her weeping child in her arms, she stroked her hair in a soothing manner. “Buffy, I’m sure everything will be fine, we just need to find out for sure whether or not you are in fact pregnant.”

Buffy nodded against her mother’s shoulder. She had been putting this off and she now knew she needed to know the truth once and for all.

Joyce pulled her daughter from her arms and asked softly, “Does William know about this?”

“He knows that there’s a possibility,” Buffy replied quietly.

Joyce let out a heavy sigh. “Your father is out for the afternoon, so why don’t we run to the drugstore and get a home test to find out for sure,” Joyce suggested.

Buffy nodded in agreement and slid off the bed. Turning to her mother, she gave her a warm smile.

“Mom, thanks for not freaking out on me.”

Joyce gave her a weary look. “Don’t thank me just yet, because if you are pregnant young lady…well just don’t thank me yet,” She replied flatly as she walked out of the room.

Buffy followed her mother out of her room. Well here it is, the moment of truth. The next time she talked to Spike she was going to have some really good news, or news that would change both of their lives forever.


*******************************************************************************


Spike sat on his mother’s couch flipping through the channels unable to find anything decent to watch. “Bloody TV, never a damn thing on when you actually sit down to watch,” He grumbled.

“Such language William,” Anne scolded.

Spike looked over to see his mother giving him a stern look. “Sorry Mum,” he apologized.

Anne sat down next to her son. “Tell me, what has my sweet boy in such an ill mood?” she asked as she reached out and ran her fingers through Spike’s errant curls.

“Nothin’ in particular,” he replied glumly.

“Now William it isn’t polite you lie to your mother,” Anne replied knowingly.

Spike looked up at his mother with a sheepish look. “I miss Buffy,” he admitted.

“I thought so,” Anne replied with a soft smile. Her son had done nothing but talk about the young blond that held his heart back in LA.

“And do you love this Buffy?” Anne asked, knowing full well the answer.

“More than the air I breathe,” Spike admitted whole-heartedly.

“Then tell me why you’re here sitting here on my couch grumbling about bad TV instead of with her?”

Spike gave his mother a disbelieving look. “Mum how could I tell you no after you bought me a ticket to come home?”

“Simple, you say, ‘Mum I love you to bits, but I have to stay with the woman I love’,” Anne informed her son with a smile on her face.

“But you sounded so excited over the phone about me coming home I couldn’t bring m’self to disappoint you,” Spike admitted softly.

“I was beyond excited William, but your happiness means more to me. If you would have told me that you weren’t coming, yes I would have been disappointed, but you had good reason. This is your first holiday with Buffy and you should be there celebrating it with her,” Anne stated matter of factly.

“Well it doesn’t matter now, there’s no way for me to be with Buffy for Christmas,” Spike pointed out glumly.

“Nonsense,” Anne waved him off. “You just take your ticket to the airport and exchange it for another flight.”

“But what about you? I can’t just up and leave you Mum, it’s just not right.” Spike replied resolutely.

“I have Rupert to keep me company, and besides, if you’re going to be like this on Christmas, it won’t make a bit of difference. I want you happy William, and if that means you going back to Los Angeles then so be it,” Anne replied lovingly.

Spike couldn’t believe what his mother was saying. With a hopeful look in his eyes, he asked, “Are you sure about this Mum, ‘cause you know I’d stay if you asked me to.”

“I wouldn’t have suggested it if I didn’t truly mean it William, but I have one condition.”

“Anything Mum,” Spike agreed.

“We have our Christmas tonight, just the three of us,” Anne requested.

Spike wrapped his arms around his mother in a warm hug. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“Go on and pack your things while I give Rupert a ring and tell him to be home early for supper.”

Spike placed a kiss to his mother’s cheek and hurried off to his room. Peeking his head around the corner he smiled brightly. “Mum, I don’t know how to thank you.”

“You can thank me by naming your first born after me,” Anne teased.

Spike smirked. “And if it’s a boy?”

“Well I guess you better start praying now for a girl,” Anne quipped and let out a chuckle.

Spike let out a laugh and headed to his room to pack his bags. Boy was Buffy in for a surprise.


*****************************************************************************

Buffy and her mother sat in silence the entire way home from the drug store. Buffy just sat there twisting the plastic bag in her hand that held the answer to her future. She had never been so nervous in her entire life. God how she wished Spike were here with her.

Joyce pulled in the driveway and turned off the car. Before getting out she turned to her daughter, “Buffy I just want you to know, that no matter what the outcome, I love you and support you in any decision you make.”

Buffy looked up at her mother and murmured, “Thanks Mom.”

They got out of the car and headed in the house. Buffy was about to go up the stairs when she turned to look at her mother.

“Can I have a minute?” she asked her mother with pleading eyes.

“Alright honey, I’ll be down here if you need me,” Joyce agreed giving her daughter the privacy she needed.

Buffy gave her mother a grateful smile and headed up to her room. Once she closed the door to her room, Buffy stared at the plastic bag in her hand. With a heavy sigh, she crossed the room and walked into her bathroom to take the test that would determine the outcome of the rest of her life.



A/N: Kinda angsty huh! Well you'll just have to tune in tomorrow to find out what happens next! * evil grin and laugh*