Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the no post yesterday, but I have a baby shower I had to get ready for today (NO not for me, one is more than enough, LOL!) Thanks to Brat, Karyn, Whitelighter354, MidnightGirl, beanmommy, Cordykitten, spikesbabi, Tuesday, Kristin, lindsay, LittleTigerBaby, Lisa, BuffyandSpikeForever, flibble, Carri, B, and Chelsea for the reviews! WEll only one more chap adn an epi' so enjoy! Discalimer in full effect.
A/N The song is Elvis Presley's 'Blue Christmas'. All rights and lyrics go to the credited people!





Buffy had listened to her mother talk for over two hours on the responsibilities of having a sexual relationship and she was sure that if she ever heard her mother say the words sex and her name in the same sentence again, it wouldn’t be too soon.

Buffy was sitting on her bed debating on whether to call Spike and tell him the good news. It was well after two in the morning in England so she figured Spike was already in bed by now. Buffy decided to call the only other person she could think of. Willow.

Pulling out her cell phone, she scanned through the phone book and dialed her red headed friend’s number. After several rings Willow’s voice mail picked up. Letting a frown cross her face, Buffy hung up with out leaving a message. Willow was probably having smoochie time with Oz and didn’t feel like answering her phone. Why couldn’t Spike be there so she could have smoochie time?

Letting a foul mood take over, Buffy flopped back on her bed and decided that if she had to be miserable, she might as well not be awake for it.


*************************************************************************************


Spike woke up late the next morning to the smell of eggs and bacon permeating the air. Never one to pass up a home cooked meal, he pulled on his jeans and sauntered into the kitchen.

Anne knew it wouldn’t be long before her son’s tummy would wake him up from his deep sleep. Ever since William was a young boy, he couldn’t resist the smell of breakfast being cooked in the morning, no matter what time he had gotten to sleep.

Anne turned around to see her son standing in the kitchen entranceway scratching his stomach and letting out a big yawn.

“William, I do hope you don’t walk around your dorm room like that,” Anne scolded. Her son had always been quite the exhibitionist.

Spike looked down and then looked back up at his mother.

“What? I have pants on,” he defended.

Anne set her son’s plate at the table and then gave him a pointed look. “Yes, but walking around half naked is far from appropriate when living with a young woman,” she pointed out giving her son the patented mother look.

Spike chuckled to himself. Huh. If his mother only knew. Buffy was lucky if he wore anything at all, but in his mother’s eyes he would always and forever be her innocent boy.

Shoveling a fork full of eggs in his mouth, he mumbled, “Thanks for the breakfast Mum, it seems like forever since I’ve had a home cooked meal.”

Anne sat down across from her son and sipped her cup of tea. “They don’t have a dining hall?” she asked.

“Yeah, but it’s bloody awful stuff. Mostly Buffy and I get take out,” Spike informed his mother.

Anne looked over at her son’s thin appearance. “No wonder you look so scrawny,” she observed.

Spike scrunched his brow. “M’not scrawny,” Spike defended.

Then flexing his muscles, he added, “See I still got m’guns.”

Anne let out a giggle. “William you vain thing you.”

Spike wolfed down the rest of his breakfast and sat back in his chair patting his stomach. “I’m gonna have to go on a diet when I get home. Probably gained at least ten pounds since I’ve been home,” he teased.


Anne took Spike’s plate and brought it to the sink to wash. “If I had you a bit longer I could easily get another ten to fifteen on you,” she replied trying to sound playful, but she couldn’t keep the sadness from her voice.

Spike couldn’t see his mother’s face, but he knew there was a sad look in her eyes. He really did feel bad for leaving early, but he missed Buffy so much.

Getting up from his chair, he walked over and leaned on the counter next to the sink. “Mum are you sure you’re okay with me leaving tonight?”

Anne dried her hands and turned to look into her son’s big blue eyes. He looked so much like his father it was almost scary. Cupping his chiseled cheeks in her frail hands, she smiled warmly.

“I’m sure. You should be with Buffy. But promise me that next year you’ll stay longer and bring this young girl with you,” Anne requested.

Spike took his mothers hands from his face and gave them an affectionate squeeze. “I promise,” he replied with a warm smile.

Anne felt her emotions getting the better of her. “Go on William and get cleaned up, it’s already after noon and I want to have all the time I can with you before you have to leave.”

“You’ll come to the airport, yeah?” Spike asked hopefully.

“I think it might be better for Rupert to take you,” Anne replied in a teary voice.

“I understand Mum,” Spike assured her. He knew his mother would be a blubbering mess if she actually went to see him off and that would just make him feel more awful than he already did.

Anne gave her son a grateful smile. “Good, now hurry up and we can go to the shops so I can find a little something for my future daughter-n-law,” she replied slyly.

Spike stared at his mother wide eyed and slacked jawed. She had just referred to Buffy as her future daughter-n-law. At a loss for words, he fumbled, “Wha’…but…uh, uh…Mum?”

Anne merely smiled and pushed her son out the kitchen towards the bathroom. She knew her son well enough to know that she wouldn’t be disappointed.
*************************************************************************************


Buffy woke up early that morning so she could call Spike and tell him the good news, but was only disappointed when she found that he was out with his mother. She wanted to call his cell phone, but she knew the bill would be outrageous, and it wasn’t exactly an emergency, so she would just wait and call him later.

Bouncing down the stairs, she went and sat down in the dining room with her parents, still in her pajamas.

Hanks Summers looked over the edge of his paper and smiled.

“Morning sweetie,” he greeted.

“Morning Daddy,” Buffy chirped in response.

“Well you’re in a good mood this morning,” Hank observed.

Joyce looked up from her bowl of fruit and gave her daughter a knowing look. If her husband only knew.

“Just excited about Christmas I guess,” Buffy covered.

“Well it’s good to see you happy sweetie,” Joyce commented with a soft smile.

Buffy looked over at her mom and mouthed a silent “thank you”. Joyce nodded her head and turned her attention back to her breakfast.

Buffy felt her belly begin to grumble and headed to the kitchen to get something to eat. Sitting at the bar she greeted the house keeper brightly. “Morning Maggie.”

Maggie turned to look over at Buffy with a big smile on her thin face. “Well good morning sunshine, what can I get you to eat?”

“The fruit salad mom was eating looked good, how about just some of that?”

“How about some of my famous pancakes to go along with it,” Maggie taunted.

“Oh, a woman after my own heart,” Buffy gushed wistfully.

Maggie let out a chuckle and went to work on Buffy’s breakfast. Glancing over her shoulder, she commented, “You can go and sit with your folks and I’ll bring out your food as soon as it’s done if you like.”

“Nah, I think I’ll just sit in here with you if you don’t mind.”

“Not at all, you know I always love your company,” Maggie replied fondly.

Once Maggie had the batter for the pancakes ready she looked over at Buffy with a twinkle in her eye. “Now tell me about this young man that has you so over the moon.”

Buffy got a dreamy look on her face as she told Maggie about Spike.

“Well, he is the sweetest guy I’ve ever meet. He does little things like leave love notes around our dorm or when we get take out he always gets what I want even if he has to go to a totally different place to get it,” Buffy explained.


Maggie smiled knowingly. “Sounds like he’s quite the catch,” she commented as she piled some pancakes on Buffy’s plate.

Most definitely. You should see it Maggie, all the girls on campus shoot daggers at me when we walk down the halls together, it’s great,” Buffy replied giddily.

Maggie had to laugh. Only young love would appreciate jealous stares. She had watched Buffy grow up and now she was a woman in love. Pulling out the fruit salad, Maggie filled Buffy’s plate with a generous amount and put the plate in front of her.

“Here you go. Maggie’s famous pancakes and fruit salad.”

Buffy felt her mouth begin to water. “This looks so good,” she gushed. Giving Maggie her best smile she asked, “Do you think I could get some whipped cream?”

Maggie pulled out the whipped cream and put on the counter next to Buffy. “Here you go, but make sure you save some for the next time you want pancakes,” she teased.

Buffy picked up the full can and sprayed a generous amount on her food. “What are you talking about? This is a full can.”

“Don’t think that I don’t see you when you tip that can up and squirt it in your mouth,” Maggie replied knowingly.

Buffy blushed. “Caught me did you?”

Maggie gave her a knowing look and went to her task of cleaning the kitchen while Buffy continued to eat her breakfast, hearing the occasional sound of a whipped cream can being sprayed into her mouth.
**************************************************************************************


Spike had all his bags ready to go and was sitting on the couch. He only had ten minutes left before Giles took him to the airport. His mother was in the kitchen making him a bag of goodies to take on the trip.

He had spent all day out shopping with his mother for a gift for Buffy. They had gone in every store and after what felt like an eternity, his mother had settled on a nice baby blue angora sweater and matching cream and blue stripped scarf. He was positive that Buffy would absolutely love it.

Looking at the clock, he noticed that he only had a few more minutes until he had to leave. Walking in the kitchen he saw his mother leaning against the counter making small choked sobs.

“Mum don’t cry,” he asked softly, wrapping his strong arms around his small mother.

Anne rested her cheek against her son’s chest, wiping away her tears. “Sorry, I’m just going to miss you so much,” she whispered.

“I’ll miss you too, but you’ll be in Sunnydale in the spring, so it won’t be too bad,” Spike soothed his weeping mother.

Anne pulled from her son’s embrace and smiled warmly, despite her tears. “You’re right, only four months and then we’ll be together again,” she replied optimistically.

Spike crouched down and looked his mother in the eyes as he wiped away her tears with the pad of his thumb. “So no more tears?”

Anne took her son’s hand and gave it an affectionate squeeze. “No more tears,” she promised.

Giles stood in the kitchen entrance. “William it’s time to leave,” he informed his nephew softly.

Spike looked to his uncle and gave him a quick nod.

Giles let his sister and nephew have their privacy and left to put Spike’s things in the car.

Spike turned back to his mother and wrapped her in a warm embrace. Placing a kiss to the top of her head, he murmured into her hair, “I love you Mum. Happy Christmas.”

Anne buried her face into her son’s chest and inhaled deeply. He smelled just like his father; smoke, soap, and something that was uniquely Livingston men. With a heavy sigh she pulled from her son’s embrace and looked deep in his blue eyes.

“I love you too William and Happy Christmas. Do take care of yourself and Buffy. I know I’ve never actually met the young girl, but if she’s half as wonderful as you say she is, then I love her already,” Anne admitted.

Spike felt a knot rise in his throat. Saying goodbye to his mother was harder than he had imagined. Fighting back tears, he placed one last kiss to his mother’s cheek and quickly walked out of the kitchen before his emotions got the better of him.

Anne watched her only son walk out of her kitchen and heard the door shut softly behind him. Letting a tear fall from her eye, she took a seat at the breakfast table and let out a ragged breath. She knew in her heart that she had made the right decision to let William go. Sure it was hard for a mother to watch her only child leave, but in the end it was for the best.

Anne was lost in her thoughts when the telephone rang. With a heavy sigh, she got up and answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello, this is Buffy Summers, is Spi- William there?” Buffy asked remembering to use his given name.

Anne smiled into the phone. “Ah Buffy dear, how are you?” she asked in a sweet voice.

“Fine thank you, are you enjoying your time with William?” Buffy asked politely.

Anne tried her best to cover her glum mood. “Very much, but I’m afraid William isn’t here right now.”

“Oh, well do you know when he might be back?” Buffy asked curiously. She hadn’t talked to Spike all day and she was beginning to worry.

“Sorry dear, he didn’t say when he would be back,” Anne covered. In all honesty, she really didn’t know when William would come back to England.

“I see, well can you just let him know I called,” Buffy asked, disappointment evident in her voice.

Anne hated to hear the young girl on the other end of the phone so disappointed, but knew she had to keep her son’s trip a secret. With amusement in her voice, she replied. “I’m sure he’ll call first thing when he gets in dear, that I’m sure of.”

“I appreciate it Ms. Livingston,” Buffy replied gratefully.

“Please call me Anne, we’re practically family,” Anne insisted.

Buffy felt her mouth go dry. Had Spike’s mother said ‘practically family’? With a hint of nervousness, she replied, “Okay, Anne.” Somehow calling Spike’s mother by her first name felt odd.

“Well I know you don’t want to waste your long distance hearing an old woman go on about nothing, so I’ll let you go dear, but I will tell William you called as soon as I hear from him,” Anne assured her.

“Thank you again, and Merry Christmas.”

“Happy Christmas to you too Buffy and I hope you get everything you want,” Anne commented knowingly.

“Thank you, goodbye.”

“Goodbye dear,” Anne said before getting off the phone.


Buffy hung up and let a frown cross her face. Where in the hell was Spike? She hadn’t heard from him all day and it would be way too late to call back later. It was official. This was the worst Christmas ever. Clutching Mr. Gordo to her chest, Buffy turned on the radio and let her tears fall as Elvis Presley’s ‘Blue Christmas’ played on the radio.


“I'll have a Blue Christmas without you

I'll be so blue just thinking about you

Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree

Won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me



And when those blue snowflakes start fallin'

That's when those blue memories start callin'

You'll be doin' all right in your Christmas of white,

But I'll have a blue, blue Christmas



I'll have a Blue Christmas that's certain

And when that blue heartache starts hurtin'

You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white,

But I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas”