Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer in full effect!
Buffy and Willow had been shopping for hours and were now sitting at the coffee shop next to the campus. They had talked about almost everything under the sun, but the one subject they both had avoided was Spike. Unable to resist any longer Willow broached the subject.

“So you and Spike are going to share the dorm huh?” She aimed for a casual voice, but cam across slightly eager.

Buffy knew she wasn’t going to make it through the day without her red headed friend asking about her British roomate. “Yes Wills. But like I told you earlier, it’s only because there were no other rooms available.”

“Well, why didn’t one of you move off campus?”

Buffy looked at her like she was crazy. “No way! I am so not moving back home just because the housing office screwed up. And I can’t exactly afford to live on my own……so we just have to put up with one another until they can move one of us,” She said slightly annoyed.

Willow studied hr friend for a bit. Everything she had said was true, but Willow noticed something about her body language that said this situation didn’t bother her as much as she let on. Shrugging her shoulders she replied, “Well at least you live with a decent guy.”

Buffy almost spit the mouth full of coffee she was about to swallow. “Uh Willow, we are talking about the same Spike aren’t we?”

Willow creased her brow in a frown. “Well yeah,” She said confused.

Buffy let out a full laugh. “Well then, you know someone I have yet to meet, because Spike Livingston is anything but a decent guy. Every other thing that comes out of his mouth is dripping with sexual innuendos for God sake.” Buffy said disdainfully.

Willow gave her a surprised look. “Really? He was always such a sweet guy growing up, as a matter of fact, he was my first crush.” She told her friend as a slight blush came to her cheeks.

Buffy stared at her with wide eyes. Holy crap! Willow had had a crush on Spike? Buffy suddenly felt like she was in an alternate reality. Sure he was hot, but to say he was nice was kind of pushing it. Wait a minute, did I just say he was hot? Getting her thoughts straight, she asked “You had a crush on him?” Her voice was full of disbelief.

Willow smiled at her dumb struck friend. “Sure, but I have to admit that at the time, he wasn’t exactly the same person he is today. But even after he changed, to me he was still the sweet William I first had met.”

Buffy thought about what her friend had just said. He was different then. What had made him change so much? Letting an evil smile play at her lips, she asked, “So tell me, what was William like?”

Spike and the guys had been playing rugby all afternoon and decided to take a short break. Getting to beat the shit out of his teammates had helped Spike relax a little, but he still couldn’t get Buffy off his mind. Laying out on the ground, he closed his eyes and tried to relax, but the sound of two familiar voices got his attention. Sitting up he looked in the direction that the voices were coming from. It was Willow and Buffy walking past the practice field. Quickly he jumped up and began to jog in their direction without a word to his friends.


Buffy and Willow were on there way back from the coffee shop as Willow continued to reminisce about what Spike used to be like before the ‘change’ as Willow had put it. This explained quite a bit as to why he acted the way he did toward her. Her original plan was to use the info as a means to get back at him, but after Willow had told her about how badly he had been hurt in the past, her plan just didn’t seem right.

Just as Willow was about to start a new story, she noticed a blond figure running towards them. Squinting slightly, he came into focus and she smiled. “Well speak of the devil.”

Buffy looked in her friend’s direction and caught sight of Spike running towards them. Even though he was all sweaty and dirty, he still looked good, if not better than he had this morning. Biting her bottom lip she muttered “And he shall appear.”

Spike came to a stop in front of the two women. Catching his breathe, he greeted them. “Hey Red, Buffy. How was shopping?”

Buffy tried to concentrate on not staring at his exposed arms. The shirt he was wearing had the sleeves torn off and left an excellent view of well toned biceps. Looking at his face she replied. “Good, we were just on our way back to the room.”

Willow smiled and asked “So, out here playing a little rugby?” Willow had her eyes on one of his fellow team mates, Oz. He looked like your typical boy next door, but there was just something about him that made Willow’s stomach do flip flops.

Spike gave her a lopsided grin. “Yep, got a match coming up. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to practice a bit.”

Buffy looked at him surprised. “I didn’t know you played rugby.” She would have never guessed him to be the athletic type.

He gave her a smirk. “I’m full of all kinds of surprises luv.” Winking at her, he turned to Willow. “Well I guess I’ll talk to you later, yeah?”

Willow smiled at him. “Sure we can catch up later.”

Spike turned to Buffy and gave her a wolfish grin. “And I’ll see you when I get home.” He winked at her again and chuckled at the blush that rose to her cheeks. With a nod he turned and ran back over to his teammates.

Buffy felt her cheeks begin to burn. How was it that something as simple as saying ‘I’ll see you at home’ could send shivers down her spine? She turned to Willow “See, that’s what I’m talking about.” She complained.

Willow shook her head and laughed. This was sure to be interesting. At first she was afraid they’d kill each other, but now, she was more afraid of what the might do to each other. Linking her arm with Buffy’s, she grinned at her. “Buffy’s got a crush on Spike,” she said in a sing song voice.

Buffy let out a huff. “I do not.”

Willow shook her head. “What ever you say Buffy.” She reassured her friend teasingly. She had planted the seed, now all she had to do was sit back and watch it grow.

Spike jogged back over to his friends. He stopped when he saw the questioning smirks on their faces. Scowling, he asked “What the fuck are you looking at?”

Angel, the team captain grinned at him. “Who’s the girl?”

Spike snapped his eyes to Angel. “No one so drop it,” He answered sternly. There was no way in hell he would tell the biggest man whore on earth about his Buffy. Oh shit. I just called her mine. Damn it!

Lindsay gave him a look that said he was full of shit. “Sorry boss, but that little blond was anything but a nobody,” He drawled out in his smooth Midwestern accent.

Gunn chimed in, “Yeah dawg, she was some kind of fine.”

Spike really didn’t like were this conversation was going, so he decide to change the subject. “Do you think we could get back to the game instead of listening to you lust puppies go on about a girl?” He asked completely aggravated.

The guys all laughed and headed back to the field to finish up their game. As the walked to the field, Oz came up next to him. Spike turned to the shorter guy and groaned out “Damn Oz, not you too.”

Oz gave him his regular impassive look. “No, it’s just who was the red head with her?”

Spike noticed a slight smile when he mentioned Willow. Grinning he questioned “Who Red?”

Oz frowned. “Her names Red?” Not that he cared; she could be called the bogey man for all it mattered.

Spike chuckled. “No, her name is Willow. We go way back me and her. Could say somethin’ if you like?” Spike figured he must really like her if he gave up an uncharacteristic smile for her.

Oz shook his head. “Nah, I don’t do the whole set up thing, but if she was to hang out with us some time, that be cool,” He said casually.

Spike took that as a hint to make sure they were both at the same place at the same time. With a grin he replied. “Right, who knows, she might be at our next match or something,” Spike said noncommittally

Oz nodded his head and replied, “Cool”, as they joined the others on the field.

Buffy and Willow made it back to Buffy’s dorm in silence. Buffy was still pouting and Willow was still grinning. Walking in the door, Buffy broke the silence. “Why would you say I have a crush on Spike? For one he is so not my type, and two what is this like 2nd grade? You don’t have crushes in college.” Buffy said in a huff.

Willow laughed at Buffy’s flimsy denial; boy did she have it bad. Buffy glared at her, she really didn’t like being laughed at. Willow sobered slightly and stated matter of factly “Buffy every time I talk about him you go all goofy eyed.”

Buffy gave her friend a shocked look. “I so do not, you must be mistaking goofy eyes for nausea.”

Willow stuck her hand out and said “Hi denial, I’m Willow, nice to meet you.”

Buffy stared at the amused look on Willow’s face. Unable to resist she started laughing. Soon the laughter became contagious and Willow joined in. Buffy wiped a tear from her eye as she gasped out “Willow you’re such an idiot, only you could come up with some stupid crap like that and keep a straight face.”

Willow grabbed at her side and took a deep breath. “Well it’s your fault. If you weren’t all denial girl then I wouldn’t have t take such desperate measures, now would I?”

Buffy took a cleansing breath. Looking to Willow she said “Wills seriously, I don’t have a thing for Spike, and even if I did, which I don’t, he doesn’t think of me that way really, he just enjoys getting a rise out of me. Which just for the record, he is damn good at.”

Willow looked at her skeptically. “Alright, alright I’ll drop it, but when it turns out that I’m right don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Buffy shook her head. “There will be no me and Spike. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it,” She said resolutely.

The two friends sat on the couch and talked about their upcoming classes and about how much fun it was going to be this year now that they were both in the dorms. Willow was getting up to leave when Spike walked in the door, stripping as he entered. He was down to his boxers when he looked up at the wide eyed girls standing in front of him. “Sorry ladies, still not used to livin’ with birds yet.” Without even a shred of embarrassment, he headed for the shower.

Buffy and Willow turned to each other with the same look on their faces. Willow put her hand on Buffy shoulder and said “Good luck with that whole ‘I don’t have a thing for Spike’ thing.” With a grin, she turned and walked out the room.

Buff stared at the door that Willow had just walked out of. Hearing something that sounded like singing coming from the bathroom, she turned to the closed door. Screwing her eyes shut, she let out a groan. Yep, she was gonna need all the help she could get.




Thanks to lacey, Brat, MidnightGirl, Mariana, Opal, MarstersGirl13, Sevvy_O, BuffyandSpikeForever, and Stine for the lovley reviews. Also a big thanks to Mac again for the awsome turn around of my chapters, if not for her I wouldn't be able to post as often as I do. Thanks girlie! Kuddos everyone!