Author's Chapter Notes:
As always, thank you for the reviews everyone! I was pleasantly surprised by the reviews for the last chapter, so keep 'em coming!
Chapter 16:


The next morning, Buffy woke up with a carefree feeling in her heart - something that she had not experienced for several days. After her emotional breakdown in front of William last night, the two had sat down and talked about everything that she had been concealing over the past two days. By the time they had finished talking, Buffy finally had a sense of confidence within herself that William's presence would be a permanent thing.

She took a shower, dressed, and styled her hair as usual. When she walked out of her bedroom, her stomach growled when she breathed in the delicious aromas of eggs cooking.

God, what more could I ask for? she thought as she walked down the hallway. A perfect gentleman who cooks! As Buffy thought about William cooking breakfast for the second day in a row, it led her to think about how their roles in her house were completely reversed - William was cooking breakfast as Buffy got ready to head off to work for the day. Nevertheless, it seemed oddly fitting for what was already a very unconventional relationship.

"Good morning," she greeted when she walked into the kitchen. As she walked past the table, she noticed that he had a plate with several slices of toast already made, with the jar of jam sitting beside it. Again, Buffy thought about how lucky she was - and how stupid she was to not have realized it from minute one.

"Buffy, good morning," William replied, smiling at her before turning back towards the stove. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, I did." She came up to the stove and stood beside him, forcing herself to not reach out and grab onto him tightly, wanting to be in physical contact. "Did you need some help?"

"No, thank you. I think that I am finally beginning to understand how the stove works," he explained. "Although, I must confess that my first several attempts to properly cook our breakfast did not turn out successfully." He nodded towards the trashcan and Buffy noticed several slices of burnt toast.

Buffy smiled and once again realized how amazing it was that William was adapting so quickly to everything in her century. With the exception of his formal language, he almost appeared as if he almost completely fit in to the twenty-first century.

When William finished cooking and set the plates down on the table, Buffy helped herself to a portion of eggs and spread a bit of grape jelly on two pieces of toast before joining him at the table. "Thank you, again, for breakfast."

"Of course," William replied as he filled their glasses with juice. "It is the least I can do since you are allowing me to stay with you and are assisting me with everything."

After taking the first few bites of her breakfast, Buffy began to speak. "William, I was thinking of this while I was getting ready for work today. I was wondering, if you are alright with it, that we could to the Bronze tonight?"

"The Bronze? Ah, is that the nightclub that you wrote about several months ago?" He asked, as a look of curiosity began to spread on his features. William always had wondered what such a place looked like, since Buffy's description of the Bronze only made him that much more interested.

Buffy nodded, and smiled at the thought that he could remember so much about their writings. It was also a comfort for the two of them to actually be having a conversation rather than awkward silence. "Yeah, I was thinking we could go there and you could meet all of my friends. And as for them, I can finally prove that you're a real guy."

"That would be splendid," he answered.

"The music can get a bit loud," she warned, understanding that he wasn't entirely used to the loud noises everywhere. "So if it bothers you at all tonight, just let me know and we'll come back here, okay?"

William nodded, wondering if it would be anything like the horrendous music he had heard on the television yesterday. "Alright, I shall let you know."

"Great!" Buffy went back to eating a bit more and took a sip of her juice before saying, "So, Christmas is in ten days."

"Ah, so it is," William answered. Suddenly he wondered - where on earth would he be able to find her a present? Was this why she was bringing up the subject?

"I just wanted to let you know that Dawn will be coming home in five days," Buffy said. "She has a final on Monday morning but will be home sometime in the afternoon."

"Splendid! I will be looking forward to meeting Miss Dawn," William replied.

"Seriously?" Buffy asked in surprise. In the back of her mind, she was beginning to worry that he might be upset to have another person intruding in on their time together - there she went with that pessimistic attitude again! "I thought you might be somewhat...I don't know, upset."

"Not at all," he said. "You have written so much about her already, and how could I not like someone whom you love so dearly?"

Buffy sighed contentedly, thinking, see? It gets me every time. His words and kindness are going to be the end of me one day. "Great. Well, I just wanted to let you know in advance so if she walks in while I'm at work, you won't be too freaked out."

"Thank you for telling me then."

"Sure thing." Buffy wasn't too sure how to phrase her next question, so she simply decided to blurt it out. "Is there anything I can get you for Christmas?"

William looked up at her in surprise. He definitely hadn't thought that would have been one of the questions that she wanted to ask him. Nevertheless, the very fact that she would ask him what she could get for him, and at the same time not even hint towards anything for herself, just proved what a wonderful, kindhearted person Buffy was.

"Buffy, I believe that I have everything I need with me right here," William assured her. Although part of him wanted to see his sister and mother more than words could say, he didn't want to worry Buffy by voicing wishes that he knew she could not fulfill.

"Well, I just assumed that maybe you wanted...oh, I don't know...either something new or something really old? Something that reminded you of your time?" she suggested.

William reached out and placed his hand over hers, which was resting against the side of her glass. "All I ask is a peaceful Christmas with you and Miss Dawn, who I hope won't be too upset at my presence."

Buffy felt herself melt under his gaze and the touch of his hand over hers. God, this man could reduce her to a pile of mush with one look, and if he actually spoke, she was beyond help. Thank God she was sitting down so William couldn't see her knees shake in reaction to all of the compassionate words he spoke.

"Thank you," she quietly said, her words meaning much more than just his agreeing to a quiet Christmas at home.

The two went back to eating as their conversation came to a lull, as if often had while they had eaten together. However, this morning's silence was from a feeling of contentment, rather than the awkwardness that had clouded their interactions during the last two days. Both were delighted to simply be near each other and in the same company, with all of their feelings now out in the open.

William, especially, was overcome with joy that Buffy was finally acting like herself. This was the Buffy Summers that William had imagined throughout all of their writings together. This Buffy was exciting, lively, strong-willed, and inexhaustible, and William was unable to fully express how thankful he was that he had finally gotten through to her.

"Do you ever miss the actual writing part?" Buffy asked him unexpectedly.

William took a sip of his orange juice and pondered over her words. "Do you mean from our journal?"

"Yes...I mean, I was thinking about it just right now." Buffy set down her fork to try and explain better. "I just...I used to write to you every day, you know? And very quickly, it became a very important part of my day-"

"And mine, as well."

Buffy blushed under his gaze, a gaze that was so intense and full of love. "And it's weird, because you're here, and that's like a million times better than writing only," Buffy said, trying to explain how she was beginning to feel. "But, sometimes..."

"You miss it?" He finished.

Buffy nodded. "Yeah. Stupid, huh?"

William shook his head. "No, that is not stupid at all. Very often I find that it is easier to say things through words than aloud, myself. Yes, there are times that I miss our correspondences as well."

"Really?"

"Yes. But I would not trade our days spent together for anything," he assured her.

"Me either," she quickly agreed.

William looked up to the clock that hung over the kitchen doorway, realizing what time it was and surprised that Buffy, on the other hand, did not. "As much as I would love to continue our conversation, Buffy, I do believe that you are a bit behind schedule."

Buffy looked up to the clock and jumped in surprise. Where had all the time gone? "Oh shi - shoot," she muttered. "Late again. Wonder what Willow will have to say about it this time?"

She quickly took another large gulp of orange juice and picked up her second piece of toast. "Oh gosh, I have to get moving."

William followed her to the front door, where he assisted her with her coat. He handed her the briefcase that sat by the door and when Buffy was ready to go outside, he asked, "Will you be home for supper this evening?"

Buffy nodded. "Of course. I'll be back around 6:30 to 7:00, depending on the traffic, and then later on after dinner we can head on out to the Bronze."

"I shall be looking forward to it, then."

"Okay..." Buffy started, unsure of how to say goodbye to them. Should she hug him? Should she kiss him? Sure, they had definitely crossed some barriers last night, but this was still 1882-William, and he wasn't as up front about some things that she and everyone else was in 2004 were. "Well..."

"Well, have a pleasant day at work," William replied, feeling somewhat nervous himself.

"Thank you," she said, straightening her jacket and pushing several loose strands of hair out of her face.

Oh, screw it, she thought before stepping closer to William and gently wrapping her arms around his waist. She felt him slightly tense before relaxing and bringing up his own arms to mimic her position. Buffy and William both took another step towards each other, pressing against one another, as they closed their eyes in bliss. The two stood wrapped together for a beat longer before Buffy finally managed to make her way back to reality and remind herself that she was already running late and didn't want to walk into work any later than she had to.

"I'm sorry, I really have to go," she whispered, stepping back and opening the front door.

"I understand," William managed to reply. He was still inwardly reeling from feeling her pressed so tightly against him, breathing in the delicious aroma of her shampoo, soap, perfume, and having her finally be so open with him. William knew that he could never have asked for anything more; in fact, he knew that what was happening right now was more than he could have ever wished for. And he wouldn’t take one second of it for granted.

"But I'll see you in a few hours, okay?" she asked, taking another step back but then reaching out to take his hand and tightly squeeze it - trying to do anything to keep a physical link with the man who was becoming such a vital part of her life so quickly.

Although it had been less than a week, Buffy found it simply amazing how innocent and light their relationship was while at the same time being so consuming - how simply holding each other's hand brought so much pleasure to both of them.

Nevertheless, Buffy realized that this was just what she needed after her failed relationship with Warren. She and William hadn't kissed even once and had only hugged twice; in fact, they had held hands more times in the past two days than she ever had with all of her past boyfriends combined. However, when it came to William, what was happening - and more importantly, the pace of their relationship - just seemed to fit. She knew that he would never pressure her into anything that she wasn't ready for; in fact, she would probably be the one who would have to step up the level of their relationship when the time came to it.

But Buffy didn't want to think about yet. She was having too much fun living in the now with William at her side. Not in 1882, not through a magical journal and desk, but physically by her side in 2004. She knew she was lucky. If the day ever did come that William was forced to return to 1882, Buffy was beginning to think that she might be able to go on as a stronger, happier woman - one who had seen what a loving relationship could really be like. And because of that, she would never take a single day - a single second - with William for granted, because life was too short to worry about things like that. William had made her see that last night, and there was no way she could ever thank him for opening up her eyes.

"Alright, I will be here," William replied. The edges of his mouth raised up in a quirky smile. "I suppose that was a rather obvious answer, as there would be no other place I could be."

"Let's hope not." Buffy squeezed his hand once more before breaking contact and letting her arm fall back to her side. "I'll try to call a couple times this afternoon, okay?"

"I look forward to hearing from you."

She smiled brightly before turning around and walking through the front door. As she heard William close and lock the door behind her, Buffy wondered if it would be too soon to call him the minute she stepped inside the gallery.

Nah, probably not, she happily thought.

 
~~~

 
Buffy rushed in the front door, hoping for once that Willow and Anya might be in the back room and she could get away with arriving thirty minutes late. However, her luck didn't seem to be with her, as they were both sitting near her desk and looking at her as she approached them.

"Nice of you to show up this morning," Willow greeted jokingly.

"Good morning, Ms. Tardy-pants," Anya added.

"I'm so sorry I'm late, you two," Buffy apologized.

"Traffic problems?" Willow asked. The expression on her face said she clearly wouldn't take that as a believable answer.

Buffy hesitated, wondering if she should try to use that as her excuse. Finally, she sighed and said, "No, I just lost track of time back at my apartment."

Anya spun around in Buffy's leather chair and looked at her. "Let me guess the real reason you were late. You got some early morning action in the shower, didn't you?"

"Anya!" Buffy exclaimed, her mouth dropping open in shock. Oh boy, she was going to have to put a lock on that girl's mouth for tonight. William would faint if he heard the words Anya spoke come out of her mouth!

"I mean, that's the reason I'm usually late to work," she went on saying.

Buffy groaned and looked over towards Willow, her expression a clear, "help me!"

Willow's only reaction was to send back an expression that clearly said, "you are on your own."

Buffy walked over and lightly slapped Anya on the arm. "Get out of my chair," she teasingly ordered as she set her briefcase onto the floor.

"Yes ma’am," she replied, getting up and walking around to sit on the edge of her desk. "So...how was he?"

Buffy blushed and dropped her head into her hands. "Anya! We have not had sex yet. And like I told you yesterday, not everything is about sex."

"But you want to, with William, right?"

Buffy tried to deny Anya's question, but when it came right down to things, Anya was correct. No, nothing would happen anytime in the next week or maybe even in the next two or three months, but eventually, Buffy would love to reach that level of intimacy with William. And even without having ever kissed the man, she knew that what they would eventually share together would be a million times better than what she'd had with Warren.

"Anyway, are you all up for some Bronze-ing tonight?" Buffy asked, hoping that Anya would drop the subject.

"In the middle of the week?" Willow asked. The Bronze was usually dead during the weeknights and the group usually didn't bother going.

"Well, it's just that I want to show William where we all hang out," Buffy explained. "And I really want you all to meet him. He's a wonderful guy, and you'll all really love him."

"Sure, count us in," Anya answered.

"Me too," Willow agreed. "I think Tara is free tonight, but I'll call you and let you know if she can't make it."

"Awesome. I can't wait for you guys to meet him," Buffy said. She really wanted to prove Willow wrong - that she could grab a great guy who was the complete antithesis of Warren Mears. But most of all, she did want to show off her new boyfriend.

Wow...William is my boyfriend, she thought in awe. Although she was thrilled that they had finally entered a dating aspect of their relationship, the simple word "boyfriend" seemed too...too 21st century to apply to what they had. Buffy reminded herself to ask William what he would use to explain their relationship.

"Alright, you two, let's get to work," Buffy said, letting both women know that the conversation about William was now over.

Willow and Anya stood up and walked out of the front room, and Buffy knew right away that the two were simply going back to one of their offices to continue gossiping about Buffy and her new romance. Buffy shrugged, thinking that it didn't matter - hey, at least she finally had some romance!

Buffy sat down in her chair and spun around to face her desk. She picked up the phone and dialed the number for her apartment.

Three rings later, a familiar voice picked up. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's me," she replied, smiling at the sound of his voice. "I hope it’s not too soon to call."

"Of course not," William assured her.

"Good. How are you, William?"

"Very well, thank you. And you?"

Now that I'm talking to you? "Just great."

 
~~~

 
Buffy arrived back at her apartment around 6:45, carrying a bag of take out from a small, family-run Italian restaurant that had the best manicotti she had ever tasted. She had gotten dinner for both herself and William, hoping that he would like Italian food.

"I'm home!" She called out when she walked through the doorway.

William walked out of his bedroom with a book in one hand and his glasses in the other. "Hey," he greeted.

Buffy mock-gasped. "Excuse me, but did you just say 'hey'?"

"I thought you might be a bit surprised by that greeting," William said, smiling at the amused expression on her face. "But, yes, even though I am a 19th century poet, I can easily adapt to your century's version of a greeting."

"You really are turning into quite the 21st century gentleman," she teased. First he says "hey" and then he even slightly mocks her? Yes, William was definitely beginning to catch onto how things worked around here.

"What did you bring for dinner?" William asked, taking the bag from her hand and helping her with her coat.

"Italian food. I hope you like it," she said.

"Well, it smells delicious," William stated. After hanging her jacket on the coat rack by the door, William reached out for her hand and pulled her alongside of him towards the kitchen.

"What are you reading?" Buffy asked as she followed him.

"A collection of poetry," he said. "I found it in your bookcase in the guest room this afternoon."

Buffy looked down at the book, wondering when and where she had managed to buy a book of poems. "Oh yeah, that was from one of my English classes back in college," she explained. "It was a fun class, and one of the few books that I decided not to sell back to the store."

"I have been enjoying it thoroughly," he said.

"Well, in that case, you should just keep it. Consider it yours."

William placed the book down on the counter alongside his glasses and the take-out bag. "Thank you."

Along with five books written by Tolkein, three books on inventions in the United States and Europe, and several collections of world events, William's book collection was definitely beginning to grow. Buffy hoped to take him to a bookstore one day and let him pick out other books to keep him busy while she was at work.

Buffy thought back to their conversations on the phone - all three of them! - and how she had felt this morning at breakfast. No other man had ever made her feel this way in such an early phase of the relationship. She stepped towards him and wrapped her arms around his neck, wanting to feel his arms around her, to feel that safe feeling she felt only around him. Plus, she needed her William-huggage!

"No, William, thank you."

 
~~~

 
After dinner, Buffy excused herself to her room to change into something more suitable for the evening. She came back out thirty minutes later dressed in black slacks and a dark red, fitted, low-neck top. She had let her hair down for the evening, brushing it until it had shined in the mirror.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

William gazed at her new appearance, amazed that she could dress so conservatively one minute and then what bordered on scandalous and risqué the next. At least, for him. For other people, what Buffy was wearing would still be considered very conservative. "You look beautiful," he said.

"Thank you."

"Must I change for the evening as well?"

Buffy looked over his outfit - a pair of somewhat dark khakis and a navy blue collared shirt. With the exception of his posture, which was too straight and proper for a 21st century male, he looked as if he almost fit in perfectly. "You look great," she said. "C'mon, let's go."

Buffy grabbed her purse and opened the front door, waiting for William to follow out behind her.

William rose from the couch and followed her through the doorway and to her car. But as they drove to the Bronze, William's mind was still back in the living room. She said I looked great, he thought in amazement.

 
TBC...

So, there was some happy Wuffy love for you all - I hope everyone enjoyed! Thank you for the continuous reviews and just incredibly kind, encouraging words I have received. So please, keep it up and leave a review to brighten up this rainy, cold day. Thanks!