Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the wait for the next chapter, but I hope you'll find it was worth the wait! Thank you to EVERYone who has left reviews for my story - I am just so thankful to all of you for making my writing so much fun!
Chapter 6:

 
November 12, 2004

Dearest William,

Can you believe it has been over a month since we first began writing to each other? After the initial shock wore off - for both of us, right? - this has become my favorite part of the day. I don't think I've ever come out and said that I really do enjoy writing to you. This journal is definitely becoming filled - who would have thought such a tiny thing could bring me so much joy? And it has, William. Having you...well, here, in a sense anyway, means so very much to me. You listen to whatever I have to say and always know what to say in response.

 
About six weeks had passed since Buffy and William had purchased the desk on that fateful morning, and the pages of the journal were indeed filling. Since the two had written so much to each other every day, the journal was quickly nearing the halfway mark. There was a slight twinge of fear in the back of Buffy's mind that once this journal was filled, they wouldn’t be able to write each other any longer. Nevertheless, she kept those negative thoughts in the back of her mind and continued onward.

Over the course of those first few days, the two had concentrated on learning more about each other. They wrote about what foods they did and did not like, about the different fashion styles in their time, what was popular and what wasn't, and more.

As she had suggested over their first weekend of correspondences, Buffy usually had a topic for each entry. She would explain something to William that was unique for the twenty-first century, and his responses would be filled with delight, wonder, and, of course, follow up questions. Buffy had realized that she was also learning because she would have to research some of his questions on the Internet to give him an answer.

William had first been taught - to the best of Buffy's ability to explain it, that is, about music of the 21st century. She touched on everything from modern jazz and experimental music, to punk and pop. Buffy first learned how women were expected to act in the 1882, and she quickly discovered that she much preferred present day living.

Throughout the beginning of their correspondences, both Buffy and William had kept things fairly general in their questions and explanations. At first, both were a little bit nervous to make it any more personal.

However, beginning sometime in the second week of October, the two had begun to speak of things outside of their general questions. Buffy would mention her ups and downs in her day at work; William would explain his failure at the latest party or give an update on his mother's health. Slowly, but surely, while continuing their informative entries, they began progressing towards a more personal level. The two realized that it was possible to tell one another any, and every thing.

To help William better understand the things she was explaining, Buffy had often sketched whatever she was writing about. She drew a rough drawing of a busy city placed into first-point perspective. She drew a laptop and a desktop computer, pointing out what a mouse and keyboard were as well. She sketched her cell phone, a cordless phone, and even a scientific perspective street with telephone poles on both sides. Whatever modern day convenience she picked to discuss, Buffy always tried to include an image in the margin or the following page.

Although her drawings were often only quick, simple sketches, especially the computer ones, William delighted in being able to see what she was writing about. Buffy's sketches really brought the objects to life. Even after Buffy had drawn many different things, William's favorite was still her drawing of the city buildings, which appeared to almost be popping out at him. He had never seen such a thing, and the idea of a building being so tall enchanted him.

All in all, it had become a safe haven for both of them - a place where Buffy could get away from her memories of Warren and living what was often a stressful life supporting her and her sister, and where William was able to escape his everyday life and the worries that came with it.

Buffy shook her head, breaking away from memories to think of the present. She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear and continued writing.

 
Dawn just left less than an hour ago - her fall break is now over, and she will be back up at UCLA until mid December. Fall breaks really are just too short. She actually asked about you yesterday. She said, "how is your pen pal, William?" in this sickeningly sweet tone of voice - my sister is just so nosy! And the she started hinting about when she would get to meet you, or at least get a chance to write to you. I had no idea what to say, so I just said I would think about it. I mean, how am I supposed to explain to her that I write to you in a magic journal? What am I going to do when she doesn't see any letters from you anywhere in the house? Because I just know she is going to snoop around over winter break to try and read what you've been writing.

Oh...don't bother with this, William...this is just me complaining and worrying about Dawn and I don't mean to take it out on you. I wouldn't take back our conversations for anything. I really do enjoy having my "secret pen pal" (which is what Dawn calls you) and being able to talk to you about whatever is on my mind.

Back to happier thoughts!

I sold two paintings this afternoon, someone really liked my last series that I did, remember the ones with landscapes that I was talking to you about last month? Anyway, I'm going to start on a new series sometime soon...I was thinking about going back to portraits and just do something simple. I don't know...I haven't been really inspired to do anything as of late. I think I've got a good, old case of artists' block (like writer's block). Can't be good.

Anyway, I know I normally have something to talk about but...well, I just figured I would use this time to just ramble on and on, like I always do. Besides, I'm feeling a bit down now that Dawn has gone back up to college.

So I think I'm going to call it a night, I'll talk to you tomorrow.

 
Take care,
Buffy

 
~~~

 
November 13, 1882

My dearest Buffy,

I am sorry to hear of your sister's departure. As I have said before, I cannot bear the thought of being separated from my dear sister, so I can only imagine what you must be going through. However, your sister is very lucky - I know, you have told me that is customary for girls to go on to University in your time, but to receive an education is something not to be taken lightly. But from what you have been telling me, Miss Dawn seems to be excelling all of her studies. And, as you said last week, before you know it, Christmas will be here and she will be home for a month.

Congratulations on selling your art series. I wish I could see your artwork, as I am sure it is marvelous. As for ideas regarding a new series, I believe portraits would be a splendid idea. I would imagine the human form, especially the hair and the symmetry of the eyes are very hard to paint correctly. I admire such artists who create these beautiful works of art with such ease. From what you have told me about twenty and twenty-first century art, I fear that the visual arts world will so be in a decline.

Regretfully, I must cut this short, as you so often say, as well. Mother has an appointment with Dr. Anders this afternoon, so the three of us must head into town within the hour.

 
I eagerly await your next message,
William

 
~~~

 
Buffy arrived at her studio at 12:15, fifteen minutes later than she should have been. She rushed in with a fluster, apologetic words immediately pouring out from her mouth once she stepped through the doorway.

"I am just so sorry, Willow," Buffy apologized for the third time as she set her tote bag down on the floor beside her desk. "I'm sorry I canceled this morning on our garage and yard sale marathon. And then I...I just got distracted and...lost track of time."

Truth was, Buffy had begun to cancel her outings with Willow Saturday morning so she would have time to write to William. She canceled for the first time three weeks ago, and had yet to go on a morning outing with her best friend since then. Yes, Buffy felt horribly guilty that she was ruining her friend's plans, but her desire to write to William kept those feelings of guilt at bay.

A couple of times, she wound up becoming so wrapped up in whatever she was writing, trying to explain something so vividly so William would be able to understand it, that she lost complete track of time. Even though her entry wasn't unusually long this morning, Buffy found herself sitting in the seat and staring out through her bedroom window, wondering what he would look like in person. Before she knew it, her clock said 11:30 and Buffy had barely begun to get ready for work.

"It's okay, Buffy, really," Willow spoke, pulling Buffy away from her thoughts. "Just...let's not make an everyday habit of it, alright?"

"Thanks so much Will, you're a lifesaver," Buffy admitted.

"No problem. However," Willow began, a sly smile on her features. "I think that you being late and skipping out of our morning shop-a-thon for the third weekend in a row deserves an explanation."

Buffy's eyes widened and she stared back at her friend in shock. "Explanation? What explanation? There is no explanation."

The day after she and Dawn met up with Xander and Anya at the Bronze, Buffy had made Anya swear - upon penalty of not allowing her to work the cash register anymore, no less, to not tell anyone that she had a pen pal. Anya promised, of course, and surprisingly had been able to keep said promise.

It wasn't that Buffy didn't want Willow to know about William. After all, if anyone should know about something like this, it should have been her best girl friend, the person she told everything to. However, Buffy had a strong feeling that Willow would overanalyze her situation and either freak out that Buffy was falling into another destructive relationship or play matchmaker and try to make William into her next boyfriend.

Buffy just didn't want that to happen. For once, she wanted her conversations with William to be something just for her. Something only she knew about. And for over a month, she had been able to get away with it.

Today, however, looked like it would be the end of that.

"For you being late. You've never been late to work as long as I've known you." Willow thought back to the days where Buffy had been dating Warren. Buffy would sometimes call in sick, but Willow knew that it was just to hide the fresh bruise from Warren's hand. Willow cleared her throat and quickly corrected herself. "Well, I mean, you would either be here or you wouldn't. And you'd call...but when you were here, you were here on time. Usually early."

Buffy shrugged. "I'm sorry about being late, but it's not like it is really busy right when we open, or anything. We're lucky to have a client walk in before one o'clock."

"Buffy, it's not so much the being fifteen minutes late part as the canceling our Saturday shopping trips," Willow said. "I mean, I thought we were having a good time, and then-"

"I have a pen pal," Buffy blurted out. Good job there, Summers, she told herself with a silent groan.

Willow stifled a laugh. "What, are we twelve now?"

Buffy shook her head. "No, it's not like that, it's not some kiddie, stupid writing. His name is William and he lives in London."

Willow's smile slipped from her face to be replaced with one of concern as she looked at her friend's honest expression. "And how long have you two been writing?"

"A month...well, a little over a month actually," Buffy explained. She sat down in her chair and looked up at Willow. "He's a great guy, Willow. Perfect gentleman, and really nice, honestly."

"But that's what you thought about Warren at first too," Willow pointed out.

"Well, thanks a lot for your confidence," Buffy muttered, lowering her eyes at the mention of her ex-boyfriend.

"Look, I'm just trying to look out for your best interests," she explained. "I don't want to see you hurt again, Buffy." It hasn't even been six months since Warren, Willow thought with a frown on her face. She was worried that it was too soon for her friend to be so open to moving on, even if Buffy might think otherwise.

"I know. And I appreciate it. I do," Buffy softly replied. "I...just...Look, nothing is ever going to happen between us. We're never going to meet up or anything like that." Because we can't, she added silently. It's impossible. If it were possible, however, Buffy would love to meet William. Nevertheless, the barrier of time separated them by over a century, and would continue to do so.

"What does William do?" Willow asked.

"He's a writer," Buffy explained, giving the same story that she gave Xander, Anya, and Dawn. "But he's been taking care of his mother a lot recently because she's sick."

"Well, tell him I say 'hi' in your next letter," Willow suggested.

"Will do, Will."

Willow grabbed a stack of papers that needed to be filed in the back room. "But Buffy? If there are any signs that he's...well, another Warren, please end it before you get hurt again."

Buffy nodded, "I will."

 
~~~

 
Several minutes after Willow left the front room, Buffy wandered back into her studio, taking out a blank 48"x32" canvas and placed it on her stand. She sat on the stool in front of it. All of her materials - paint, brushes of all sizes and types, sponges, water, were set out to her right.

Buffy thought back to her last few conversations with William, remembering that she had mentioned she was going to try portraits again. Well, since she didn't have any subjects to model, with the exception of Willow, she decided to simply play around with her paints and see what came to her mind. Of course, the first thing that came to mind was William. Buffy thought back to how he had described himself. Blonde hair. Blue eyes. Glasses. Slender build. High cheekbones.

"Let's see what I can come up with." Buffy whispered to herself.

She took a pencil and lightly drew out a quick sketch of a man's body from the shoulders up. She began adding rough details - eyes, a nose, a mouth, quick wisps of the pencil to place the hair, and so on.

Picking up a paintbrush, Buffy closed her eyes, thinking of the image she always thought of when she imagined William - sweet, charming, and kind. "Perfect gentleman," were the words she had told Willow, and he absolutely was.

Buffy worked in silence, her hand moving the paintbrush over the canvas quickly and confidently. She would pause to mix colors or open a new tube of paint to add to her palette, but continued working with a newfound speed that even she was somewhat surprised in. Willow came in a couple times, and even called out her name, but Buffy was concentrating so deeply that she wasn't even bothered and didn't even look up.

Almost four hours later, Buffy walked out into the main room with a large smile on her face. "Willow, come look!"

Willow stood, asking, "So I get to see what you've been working on all day?"

"Yep, all done!" Buffy explained, "I think that pesky artists' block is completely gone."

The two women walked into the studio and Willow gasped at what she saw. Looking back at her was a portrait of one of the most gorgeous men she had ever seen. Sure, she wasn't interested in men anymore, but she could still recognize a handsome man when she saw him, and this was it. His hair was a bit long for her liking, with curls falling down in his face, but his eyes...

The man's eyes were bright, icy blue - as if they could pierce your soul and heart just by looking at them. His cheekbones were high, making his face appear slim and his features look even sharper. Below his face, the man wore a suit and tie, and then the canvas ended below his shoulders.

"Buffy, this is amazing," Willow whispered. "He's so...who is this?"

Buffy blushed. "No one. Well," she began to correct, "This is what I imagine William looking like when we write to one another."

Willow shook her head in disbelief. "I may be gay now, but I still know guys. No one is that gorgeous," she said. "How did you get that shade of blue for his eyes?"

"Well...a lot of mixing with whites, blues, and greens," Buffy explained. "It's weird, I tried to get that shade after I finished the painting, but...I just can't figure out how I did it. It just didn't look right anymore."

"Well, it's okay. If you were going to get that shade of blue only once, then this was the time to do it." Willow whistled, "This one is going to sell before the weekend is over."

The blonde shook her head. "No, this one I'm not going to sell. I...I just can't bring myself to sell this one."

"Man, if William looked half this good, and I weren't recently gay, of course, I'd consider myself a lucky girl," Willow teased.

The phone rang and Willow excused herself to go answer it.

Buffy took several more seconds to gaze at her portrait. Yes, if William were even a fraction as beautiful as this...I would be very attracted to him, she thought.

But then again, some part of her subconscious was telling her that she already was. Through his words, his explanations, and his kind and gentle nature, a feeling deep within her heart had begun to flutter, something she had not felt in a long time. Buffy tried to push it away, but every time she opened the journal, every time she saw a new entry, the feeling came back. And each time the feeling was stronger than before.

Buffy realized that whenever she thought about William she would silently be counting down the hours until she could get back home and read his newest entry. Out of her entire day, her private time with William was what she treasured most. A smile spread across her face, noticing that she had been doing that a lot recently.

And it's because of you, she thought, as she looked at the painting.

 
~~~

 
Buffy woke the next morning with unexpected contrasting feelings in her gut. On one hand, she was very relaxed and eager to get through her morning. After all, she knew that a message from William would be waiting for her when she got home that evening. However, for the first time she felt something other than peace - anxiety and worry. Even slight fear.

Buffy pushed those negative feelings aside and walked over to her desk, pulling out the journal. There wasn't an entry from William yet, and Buffy suspected that he was with his mother and sister, wanting to spend as much time all together as he could.

Even though he hadn't read or responded to her last entry yet, Buffy decided to add something on the next page.

 
November 14, 2004

Dear William,

I've been late to work a few days recently because I get so distracted and involved in writing to you on the weekends, so I have to make this entry short, but I really wanted to write to you this morning. Willow was worried yesterday why we skipped our morning ritual of shopping, so I told her about you. Not everything, of course, just basically what I told Dawnie, Xander, and Anya a couple months ago. She is a bit worried since I don't actually see you, but I told her I was a big girl and can handle myself.

Anyway, I just want to say - thank you. In all of our writings back and forth to each other, I don't think I've ever said the words. (Or written them, in this case). Thank you for being such a good friend. Thank you for listening to me rant and rave...for listening to my crazy, stupid comments and pop culture references that don't make any sense to you. Every morning I find myself in a good mood. For the first time in quite a while, I am actually eager to get through the day - as long as I have something to read from you. Even though you're not here, you really help me get through the day.

So thanks. Thank you for being such an amazing friend.

Yours,
Buffy

 
 
Buffy closed the journal and the desk drawer before she could regret and question herself about adding "yours" to the end of her writing. Before, she had always signed it "sincerely," "until next time," or "take care." This closing was new, and a bit more affectionate than she had ever written.

"Too late now," she whispered.

She rose from the chair to get ready to head into work, still feeling uneasy...as if something was wrong. She pushed those apprehensions away, telling herself that nothing could go wrong. Her paintings were going well and she was eager to start that new series. But even more importantly, William would write to her later this afternoon, and she would see it when she got back home after work. Buffy told herself that nothing could ruin her day now.

Oh, if only she had known...
 
TBC...
 
Thank you all for the wonderful feedback over the last week! I really appreciate everyone leaving their thoughts, comments, and questions and am still catching up on leaving replies. :) Thanks again!