Lyrics by Nine inch Nails.

*************************************

Chapter 4: Say What?


The phone seemed to scream Buffy out of her deep sleep, but she laid still waiting for her mom to answer it. Three more rings and still nobody answered, grumbling Buffy pulled the pillow from over her head and tossed it to the other side of her bed. Stretching she answered on the sixth ring. “What?” her voice came out gravely and scratchy, and she coughed to clear her throat.

“Did I wake you up Buff?”

Buffy moved her discarded bra that hung over her alarm clock and looked at the time.

“Gee Wills it’s only 9 am, no I wasn’t sleep.” Buffy said rolling her eyes.

“Moody much. Anyway, I had some news that I couldn’t wait until later to share.”

“This so better be important waking me up this early on a Sunday.”

“It is…this is to great. I know you’ll never believe it and you’ll think something’s wrong but I don’t care I’m just,” Willow released an un-lady like snort “Well after I was talking with Gunn last night Xander comes over and we started talking… and then he asked me to dance… and then before I went home he asked me to the Spring Formal.”

“What!?” Buffy sat up in bed tossing her comforter off, swinging her legs to the floor.

“Please tell me you said no.”

“Well…I…I kinda agreed to go with him.”

“You did what?” Buffy’s hands flung over her head is a swirl of excitement and furry. “I can’t believe you did that…Willow, its Xander. You know biggest jerk ever. Not to mention I’ve hung around him from years, this is not cool.”

Willow’s face turned as red as her hair as she begin to boil with anger, “People change Buffy. What you’re the only one who’s allowed to do that?”

“Wills I didn’t mean it like that…”

“No Buffy I think you did, and I don’t have time for this. Good Bye.”

The dial tone blared in Buffy’s ear as she hurried to place the receiver back into its cradle. Sighing she fell back onto her bed staring up at her ceiling.

***********************************


Buffy was exiting Angel’s Black Chevy convertible, she turned to shut the door.

“You’re picking me up later right?” She asked walking towards the house.

“Yup, I guess so, be ready no later than 7 I got a date to get to.” He shouted driving away beeping his horn.

Buffy walked up to the large oak doors and pushed the doorbell. After a few moments and some footsteps later the door swung open.

“Hey Wills.” Buffy said in a small voice accompanied by a smile and a flutter of her fingers.

“Hey Buffy…come in.” Willow motioned stepping aside so her friend could enter.

“What brings you by? Not that I don’t mind you visiting…I just thought you were mad at me and not wanting to speak to me much.”

“Nope, not mad at all.” Buffy said pushing up onto her tip toes then tilting back down to the ground. “Just wanted to apologize to you in person, for the way I acted towards you this morning.”

Willow produced a thousand watt smile as an answer to Buffy’s apology. “Come on we’re up stairs.” She said heading to go up the steps.

**********************************

Hi…Bu…Buffy.” Tara said placing her history book down on the floor.

“Hey Tara, what no Oz today.”

“Nope he’s in LA with his band.”

Willow pulled up her desk chair to sit closer to her friends lounging on the carpet. The trio talked some more about the dresses they were going to get for the dance, how they would get there, and the hairstyles they planned on getting. Soon the conversation turned again.

“W...would you mind if I asked a question?” Buffy and Willow looked directly at Tara who started to blush under their watchful gaze.

“I just wanted to know why Cordelia and her friends are s…s…so mean.”

“Well for Cordelia I think it’s natural in her since she was born to an overly snobby family, and they have the golden spoon shoved up their asses. As long as I’ve known her she’s always been a stuck up brat who thinks the world revolves around her.”

Tara wore a confused expression.

“Buffy used to be best friends with Cordelia until last year.”

“Oh, I had no idea…you so n-n-n-nice.”

Buffy burst into laughter and Willow followed. They laughed for several minutes clutching their stomachs. Buffy wiped a few tears from her eyes and sat back up turning to her perplexed friend.

“Oh I was a bitch right along with little old Cordy, I tell ya. But times change and so do people. And I started to long for a change, something different. So I changed my clothes, I changed my hair, and Cordelia was cool with it until I started singing in Angel and Spike’s band. But the final straw that destroyed our friendship was last summer, when we all went to Florida to my cousin’s going away to college weekend funfest. Cordelia walked in on Xander kissing me…”

*****Flashback*****

Buffy walked into the dimly light bedroom closing the door behind her, and laid down on the over sized bed. The alcohol was starting to make her head spin and she was seeing stars behind her eyelids. There was a quick tap at the door, and before she could ask who it was or what they wanted the door opened. Buffy focused her eyes and saw Xander walk across the guest bedroom, taking a set next to her laying form on the bed.

“What is it Xander?” Buffy asked trying to make the room stop spinning.

“Nothing just checking on the Buffster to see if she was ok.” He said looking straight ahead to the wall.

Buffy sat up a bit leaning on her bent elbows “I’m all peachy. You know all things alcohol-y and Buffy, not to mix-y.” She said with a slight smile.

“So I noticed, to much party-goodness not all a bad thing.” Xander said clapping his hands together.

Before Buffy registered what was happening Xander lend over and captured her lips in his and at that same moment Cordelia walked into the gust bedroom.

“OMG! I so knew it, you bitch!” Cordelia shouted running out of the room.

*****End Flashback*****



Willow shot up, “OMG! You kissed XANDER?!?”

Buffy wrinkled her nose in an attempted to block the horrid memory. “No, he KISSED me, I was trying to fight him off. I told you Xander is evil. And Cordelia got pissed cause she thought I was trying to take her “flavor” of the month from her. So she told everyone that she walked in on me “servicing” Xander.”

“Ewww, gross, she really does make the wicked witch of the west look good.” Willow said nodding at Buffy.

“Yeah she does. She’s psycho I tell you.”

“Servicing?” Tara questioned.

Buffy gave Willow a snicker with a half smirk then answered Tara. “You know ‘servicing’, oral sex…”

Tara started blushing again “I…I get the picture.”

“Well after that did Cordelia ever get with Xander?”

“Yeah, for the remanded of our time in Florida, turned out the flavor of the month was only a flavor of two days.”

The girls burst into another fit of giggles.

***************************************

There was a horn honking outside Willow’s house around seven pm.

“That’s me.” Buffy announced placing her boots back on. “I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” She give them a wave heading out the bedroom door. The remaining girls uttered their good byes as well.

Buffy saw two heads up front before she reached the car, Spike hoped out and opened the door and pulled the set forward so Buffy could get in the back.

“Oh look its Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb.” She said crossing her arms over her chest smiling.

“Ha! Bloody! Ha!” Spike said over his left shoulder.

“So I guess that makes you Alice on a acid trip then.” Angel said laughing.

Buffy glared at him then leaned forward, and thumped him in the head with her index finder and thumb.

Buffy looked at the houses blur past from the convertible thinking to herself.

“Angel can you drop me off at the mall tomorrow?”

“What for?” He said glancing at her in the rearview mirror.

“I need to get something for that Spring Formal. Willow and Tara are going to met me there.”

Spike turned around to face Buffy. “Who asked you to go?” He questioned raising his scarred brow.

“Me, I’m going stag.” Buffy announced nodding her head in agreement with her answer.

Spike mentally released the breath he hadn’t realized he was holding waiting for her answer. He didn’t know why but the thought of someone else even touching Buffy made him cringe inside. ‘It’s because she’s like a little sister to you.’ Spike said to convince himself.

“Sorry that nobody asked you luv.”

“Excuse me, but I never said no one asked me, I only stated I chose to go stag. Oh I was asked if you must know.” Buffy said folding her arms over her chest.

‘Who does he think he is assuming nobody asked me out…grrr,’ Buffy thought rolling her eyes and leaning back into the set.

*********************************

Monday was off to a great start, Buffy had a hot new student teacher in French class, she got an A+ on her history exam, she avoided playing volleyball, hence getting all sweaty and having to use those poor excuses of showers in the locker room. Yeah she should have known it would soon turn bad.

Headed for their normal table Buffy, Willow, and Tara walked past Cordelia and her group. Just as Tara came past Cordelia she stuck her foot out causing Tara to trip. Buffy’s quick reflex prevented her from falling but the lunch try was lost to the floor. The group burst into laughter not noticing Buffy’s reaction.

Buffy stormed over to Cordelia and snatched her head up to look at her; if looks could kill she would have been dead what the glare Buffy was sending her.

“I am so sick of you and you stupid childish games.” Buffy huffed.

“Seriously Buffy” Cordelia said swatting away Buffy’s hand “No need to get all bent. It was a joke, nobody got hurt. And we actually did her a favor, no food helps on lose weight.”

“I’m so sick of your ‘I’m way better than you’ attitude Cordy!” Buffy spat out. “Your just a self coincided little snot faced bitch, who doesn’t give a carp to anyone but herself. And I’m sick of it and you. You know you really need to peal off those rose colored glasses and wake up before you find yourself alone, because no one wants to be around you.”

And before Cordelia could even reply Buffy picked up the serving a mashed potatoes off of Cordelia’s lunch tray, and smashed it over her head and face. With a satisfied smirk she turned to walk away, Willow and Tara trying hard to suppress their giggles.

Xander, Gunn, and Riley broke into laughter with the rest of the cafeteria, as Cordelia jumped up and fled to the bathroom down the hall. Harmony and Anya dashed from their sets as well to help their fallen friend, shooting evil looks towards Buffy.

“Not so fast Mss. Summers.” The weasel voice said behind her. Buffy sighed and rolled her eyes to face Principle Snyder.

“Office now!” He demanded pointed at her, “The rest of you continue to your meal.”

*******************************

Buffy sat in the hard office chair in front of Snyder’s desk as he droned on in his lecture, holding her file in his hand.

“Mss. Summers I’ve never had a problem with you before and I don’t understand why now. Well, no, let me rephrase that, I know why. I mean with the new clothes and the influence your brother and his hooligan friend has over you I can see why. Not to mention the music the young listen to nowadays.”

He paused and turned his over sized leather chair to look out the window, then turned back to face Buffy.

“ I hate to do this, but Buffy you will be suspended for the next five school days. You will report back here next Tuesday with your mother to re-sign you back in. Am I understood?”

“Yes Mr. Snyder, I hear you loud and clear.” Buffy mock saluted.

*******************************

Joyce took the news quite well even though Buffy got a long lecture about getting suspended and picking fights with other people. Willow on the other hand took it way worse, since now Buffy couldn’t attend the dance that Friday. And Angel, well he was just being his same annoying self as always…and didn’t he have college to attend, so why was he always hanging around the house?

So here it was Friday morning and Buffy was starting her morning mope session because she was really looking forward to the dance and hanging with her friends, but she would see them at the Bronze later that night anyways.

******************************

Drusilla had called Spike early in the morning telling him she needed him right away. He sighed hanging up the phone getting out of bed. ‘I’m not her friggin puppy.’ He though while slipping on a pair of jeans from the floor.

“Can you drop me off at school?”

“Why, you miss the bus?” Spike asked looking for his keys to the Desoto.


“Yeah, I over slept and if I’m late on more time, my teacher promised to dock my grade.” Dawn pleaded, throwing in her puppy dog eyes to her brother for good measure.

“Fine come on bits.” Spike said walking towards the door.

************************

After dropping his sister off he arrived at Drusilla’s house. He knocked then let himself inside.

“Dru I’m here.” Spike said looking around the living room for Dru.

“I’m up here my Spike.” She called from the second floor.

Spike headed up the stairs and came to her bedroom, pushing the door all the way open from the crack that was left in it.

“What’s this all about?” He asked coming the rest of the way into the room.

Drusilla stood from her bed and walked over to him, cupping his cheek in her right hand she looked into his eyes. A small smile played on her lips, as she leaned up on her topes to place a chaste kiss on his mouth.

“I have a secret to share with you William.” She said walking away from him to sit again on her bed. Spike followed Drusilla and was standing in front of her. Drusilla slid down, erecting the perfect pose of a proper lady sitting. Her back was straight and her hands rested in her lap, her long flowing skirt fanned around her on the bed, and her dark hair framed her face.

Looking up at Spike, Drusilla hesitated for a moment then began to speak.

“My Spike something wonderful has happened. The stars have given me a gift.”

“What kind of gift Dru?”

“Oh it’s a very special one, so small and precious it could crumble so easily.” She said patting her stomach.

Spike watched her movements, then things began to click: her acting even more loony than normal, the whole not take her psycho medications.

“Bloody hell.” Spike began to pace the floor. “You’re not trying to dump this on me Dru. I put up with your shit for far to long. I was fine with turning a bind eye to your “wonderings” but not this time. I refuse to do it.”

He stopped and turned to look at her. “How long?” Spike said cocking his head to the side.

“The moon has said two phases.” Drusilla replied.

“Just unbelievable, I can’t do this anymore Dru.”

Drusilla got up off the bed and walked over to Spike. She took his face in her hands, his eyes rimming with tears.

“My Spike, my poor sweet Spike.” Drusilla whispered softly. “You haven’t been mines for far to long. You smell of honeysuckle and sunshine. My dark prince has been broken.”

“Dru please, not know I can’t handle your loony rant.” Spike said walking out the door.

Drusilla followed him with her eyes. “But the sun will go down on you, you’ll see. And your dark princess will be waiting.”

******************************

Buffy has finished up the last of her chores and watched her mom and Giles leave for their date. Locking the door she dashed up to her room. She quickly throw on the clothes she had laid out, touched up her hair and grabbed her purse. Pushing the window open she made sure none of her nosy neighbors were peeping out their windows, and she climbed onto the roof then jumped into the tree, climbing down to the ground.

Buffy decided to cut through the cemetery to get to the Bronze quicker. Half way through she heard some rally bad singing so she decided to follow it.

“This is the first day of my last days, I built it up now I take it apart ,climbed up real high now fall down real far…”

Buffy knew she was close cause the singing lot louder.

“No need for me to stay the last thing left I just threw it away I put my faith in god and my trust in you now there's nothing more fucked up I could do…”

Buffy was almost on top of the singing mystery, the voice was just beyond the last tombstone.

“Wish there was something real wish there was something true wish there was something real in this world full of you I'm the one without a soul I'm the one with this big fucking hole…”

“Spike?” Buffy questioned walking to stand in front of him, he was leaning back on the tombstone with his arms resting on he’s bent knees, and a bottle of Jake Daniels dangling from his left hand in between his legs.

Spike looked up at Buffy and gave her a halfhearted smile then took another swig of his drink.

“Your drunk.” Buffy said placing her hands on her hips.

“No shit Sherlock.” Spike retorted.

Buffy pulled on her low rise jeans then sat down next to him. “What’s wrong?” Buffy said turning to look at her friend.

“It’s nothing.” Spike said taking another swig from the bottle.

“Well I think it’s something. I mean my friend is sitting in a graveyard, getting plastered, for reasons he won’t tell me.”

“You wouldn’t understand Buffy so drop it.”

The two sat in silence looking up at the stars, and Buffy reached over taking the bottle from Spike. She looked at it then took a gulp “Ewww, how can you drink this crap?”

“Just do.” Spike shrugged looking back up at the sky.

“Nice moon huh, it’s full.” Buffy said off handedly.

“She’s pregnant.”

Buffy’s head shot over to look at Spike “Who…oh…OH…no…she is…oh.” Buffy shut her mouth since she sounded more like an owl than anything else. ‘Shit…shit…shit…shit ho bag get’s knocked by Spike just my luck.’ Buffy thought frowning.

“It’s not mines. It’s that wanker Parker’s.” Spike grounded out through clinched teeth.

The two sat in a comfortable silence again.

“So I guess that answered my question to Dru’s missing meds.” Buffy said trying to sound cheery. Spike chuckled turning to look at her in the moonlight.

Spike had never noticed just how beautiful Buffy was, because she was always cute but in an “I’m your best friend’s little sister-so you better keep your hands off me-or my brother will pound your face in” kind of way. But now she had that “I’m your best friend’s little sister-but I want you hands all over me” kind of way.

Buffy turned to him as if waiting for something and she gave him the tenderest smile he’s ever seen. Spike wasn’t sure if it was the liquor or what but before he could react, he reached over and claimed Buffy’s lips with his own.

********************************
Let me know if you like. ^_^