Chapter 10

___________________



A month later, Buffy was on her knees polishing the floor just like she had done in Ireland, with a mix of beeswax and lemon, when she heard the front door open. Looking over her shoulder, she sent a warm smile to the man standing there, before getting to her feet. “Hi can I help ya?”


“Well you see lass, I was told you help the hopeless here.” He said, giving the fetching young girl in front of him, what he hoped was a charming smile.


Pegging his accent, her smile grew. “Are you looking to be saved or are you hoping to atone?” She asked in Gaelic, the language pouring out of her like she’d been born to it.


“Bit of both lass.” He replied, also in Gaelic, surprised that she knew his mother’s tongue. “If you don’t mind me saying it, you don’t look Irish.”


Buffy laughed, a bright cheerful sound that seemed to hang in the air adding life to the room. “I was born here but the lady that taught me, believed I had the heart of her people.”


Several minutes later Spike and Wesley emerged from the basement, where they had spent most of the morning building a training room, to find Buffy and a strange man sitting on sofa, conversing in an almost musical language that was pleasing to their ears. Both recognized it but neither knew Buffy could speak it but since they hadn't known she could cook either,they were used to being surprised. “Care to introduce us to your new friend luv?” Spike asked, glaring at the man until he began to shift uncomfortably.


“Guys this is Allen Francis Doyle and he gets these visions from the PTB of people in need of saving.” Buffy said walking over to hug her mate, seeing he was a bit jealous. “Doyle this is William and the boss, Wesley Wyndam-Pryce.”


“You’re a little more than human aren’t you mate?” Spike asked, smelling the man’s demon blood, while he wrapped his arms around Buffy possessively.


“Doyle’s half-Bracken…that’s how he heard about us honey.” Buffy said while at the same time mentally reassuring Spike through their claim that Doyle had been a perfect gentleman. “He has a few friends who worked here and they mentioned the fact Wes was opening a place to help the innocent.”


“Yes well we aren’t open for business yet, the bulk of the work on the hotel has been completed but we haven’t had a chance to set up shop yet.” Wesley said, assuming the role of leader. All of the rooms had been restored and furnished with the basic necessities and the necro-glass had been installed so that Spike could move about freely but other than getting the necessary paperwork, they hadn’t done anything about the business. All the documents the Immortal had arranged named him as the official owner but everyone in the room, except for Doyle knew it was an equal partnership. “But if you’d like to come into the office, I’d be interested in hearing about these visions of yours.”


“He’s the real deal Wes.” Buffy said, hearing the note of doubt in his voice. “I sorta checked out his essence and he’s definitely plugged into a higher power.”


“Oh.” Wes said, mulling that over a few seconds. “And you’re certain it’s the PTB?”


“Yep, I don’t make a habit of hanging out with evil guys.” When Spike cleared his throat, Buffy quickly amended that statement. “Well except that sometimes I do, but only with William.”


“He’s evil?” Doyle asked, a little confused.


“Oh, William’s a vamp but not the bitey kind…well he still bites but he chooses not too. It’s a long story.” Buffy said with a casual wave of her hand. “One that I’m sure Wes or even Will would love to explain while I go check out the progress they made downstairs.”


With that she pulled out of Spike’s arms and headed towards the basement leaving the three men standing there, not sure of what to say or do.


Deciding to take the initiative, Doyle took a deep breath. “If Elizabeth says you’re not a threat, I’ll take her word for it, without needing to hear the story for meself.”


“Why is that mate?” Spike asked, shifting in to game face.


“That girl’s as innocent as they come friend, even a sinner such as meself knows an angel when I see one.” Doyle said calmly, hoping he wasn’t about to go one on, with a temperamental vamp. “She’s head over heels for you, you’re a lucky man.”


Deciding that this man wasn’t after his woman Spike slipped back into his human visage. “Don’t I know it mate.”


Understanding that they had reached some sort of truce, Wes once again assumed the lead. “Why don’t you tell us about you’re visions, so we can see if there is a place on the team for you?”


“They aren’t something I control, they slam into my head out of the blue and give me a picture of someone in need of saving. Because I’m half demon, I’m stronger than a normal human but I’m not a hero by any means. I’m good in a brawl but other than that, I’m not up to the job so when I heard about what you were planning on doing here, I thought I’d drop by an offer you my services.” Doyle took a second to decide if he trusted them and going on instinct, he shrugged. “Little more than a year ago I was told by a demon named Whistler, that a vampire with a soul would come to LA looking for atonement. Knowing I didn’t have much choice I waited and when the guys told me about installing the vampire friendly glass, I thought maybe he‘d finally showed up.”


Wes looked at Spike for a split second before asking. “Did this demon give you a name?”


“No, but how many vampires with a soul can there be?” Doyle asked jokingly.


“Only one, just like there is only one Whistler.” Buffy said from the doorway. She had sensed Spike’s sudden unease and made it up the stairs just in time to hear Doyle’s story. “His name is Angel and he’s guarding the hellmouth in Sunnydale.”


“Why am I getting the impression that there’s a story behind that as well?” Doyle asked, unable to miss that stark and haunted look in her eyes. Only moments ago those same eyes had sparkled like priceless emeralds and now they were flat and dead like the eyes of a doll.


“Because there is but I don’t know you well enough to share it yet.” Buffy said allowing a ghost of a smile to cross her lips.


“You know lass, I’ve waited this long I don’t see the harm in waiting a bit longer.” Doyle said willing to do anything just to make her laugh or smile again. Buffy didn’t look like his baby sister physically but she still had the same zest for life and while his own cowardice had been part of the reason his sweet Becky hadn’t survived the Scourge, it would mean more to him to help someone like the one he’d failed the worst. “If you all need another demon hanging around the place to have brain numbing visions at odd times, that is?”

Buffy looked at the boys for a moment and when they each nodded subtly, She gave Doyle a bright smile. “Welcome to Phoenix Investigations. The hours suck and it‘s likely you’ll end up getting bitten, stabbed or burned but you get room and board, plus a few new pals to hang out with when we‘re not fighting the good fight.”

“Yes but be that as it may, from now on I think you should allow me to talk with the potential clients.” Wes said giving her an indulgent smile at her lackluster pitch. He had become faithfully devoted to her and Spike during the month they had lived together but it was clear that both of them adored her. She mothered them, making sure they all sat down to a nice dinner each night while at other times she was a cruel taskmaster who gave them chore after chore to complete before allowing them to turn in for the night. She was their guiding light, their not-so perfect angel and she was also their purpose. He knew she’d always be Giles’s Slayer but he had no doubt that she and Spike were both his friends and that was enough for him.

“Oh come on, it was way better than what Will would have said.” Buffy protested, shoving Wes lightly.

Nipping his mark on her neck teasingly, Spike growled against her neck, causing her to laugh. “Mock me all you want luv but this silver tongue of mine, got a certain young woman to spend a memorable day with me in Paris.”

Rolling his eyes as they once again forgot they weren’t alone and became completely wrapped up in one another, Wes grinned at Doyle apologetically. “They’re newly mated, so if you join up with us, this sort of behavior occurs often. If you chose to move in here, I’d suggest stomping everywhere you go in hopes that they will hear your approach and make themselves presentable.”

“Wes, you walked in on us once…ONCE.” Buffy said blushing furiously. “And we were in our bedroom at the time, so you can’t get all prissy about it!”

“The door was open, it was just after 2 P.M and I should have known that you two would have been taking in a bit of afternoon delight, how very foolish of me.” Wes said dryly, elated to see Buffy’s cheeks turn the color of a ripe cherry tomato. His record was a light scarlet while Spike could make her flame up like a forest fire.

“Don’t blame me luv, it’s not my fault you can’t keep your hands off my tight, hot body.” Spike said when she looked at him to say something.

Buffy mumbled something unintelligible to even the keenest of ears before a evil glint appeared in her eyes. Without a single word she walked away with a soft swing in her step and a carefree tune escaping her lips.

Doyle watched her go and barely managed to hold back a smile when the other two men looked alarmed. “I may be new around here but that can’t be a good thing, her walking off like that.”

Wes and Spike shared a look of pure dread before gulping audibly. “I think it’s safe to say, we are both about to suffer.” Wes said trying to keep his voice from trembling.

Spike tried to get a little peak into her twisted plot, only to find her completely closed off. “You got that right mate.”

____________________________________


Two days later, Buffy still hadn’t made her move but it was clear from the look in her eyes that she had something going on in that mind of hers…something devious. Both men had tried to win their way back onto her good side, Wes had bought flowers, Spike jewelry and they both had apologized for going to far but she hadn’t budged. Which is why they were holding a secret meeting in the office while she was out shopping.

“Have you been able to find out anything through your link to her?” Wesley asked, taking a fortifying sip of his tea.

“No the bint’s locked up tighter than a drum and even when she’s sleeping I can’t get a look.” Spike admitted brushing back the lose curls hanging over his face. Buffy had mentioned that she liked his hair loose, so in an effort to please her, he had stopped gelling it back but even that hadn’t softened her towards him.

Like Wes he was at his wits end and Doyle refused to get involved, not that they could blame him. Spike would willingly travel through all nine circles of hell than face his woman’s wrath and judging by the sour look on Wes’s face, it was clear he agreed.

“We can’t go on like this!” Wes said slamming his hand down on the table. “I wish she’d just enact her revenge and get it over and done with, this waiting is pure agony.”

Spike had to agree but that didn’t change things. “We could rile her up and force it out of her but since she’s waited this long, I don’t know if I want to make it worse.”

“So what do we do?”

“Well mate, seems like our only option is to throw ourselves at her feet and beg for mercy.” Spike said seriously.

“Oh that won’t be necessary lads.” Doyle said walking into the room with a wide smile lighting up his entire face. “I believe your punishment is waiting for you in the lobby as we speak.”

Gulping audibly, Wes got to his feet. “And pray tell what is our punishment?”

“Sorry lads but she’d peel every inch of my skin off of my body with a spork if I ruined this for her.” Doyle said, his face sympathetic but his eyes dancing with unshed mirth.

“Lets get this over with Watcher, I’d rather go willingly than have her drag us both out by the ears.” Spike said getting to his own feet, his face heavily lined like a man about to walk towards the gallows.

Following behind Doyle they headed into the lobby and saw two stuffed pig sitting on the counter. Confused Spike picked up the one with a tuft of bleached blonde hair and a long leather jacket. “I am a rude pig!” It snorted out suddenly, causing him to drop it in shock.

“Dear lord is that thing made out of what I think it is?” Wesley asked, picking up the pig wearing a pair of leather pants. “I am a tweedy pig!” It said loudly before oinking. Sure enough the moment Wesley touched it, he could tell that other than the leather pants, it was made entirely of pink tweed.

“I don’t get it?” Spike admitted, never noticing that his own piggy had righted itself and was now furiously humping his scuffed Doc’s like a dog on Viagra.

“For the next twenty-four hours these little guys will be following you around in an effort to teach you some manners.” Doyle said trying to keep a straight face as Spike’s piggy continued it’s obscene movements. “Buffy enchanted them, so no matter what you do they will come back and follow you. So I suggest you just take your lumps, before she does something worse. She was trained in magicks by vengeance loving gypsies, after all.”

“I’m a big show offy pig!” Wes’s piggy squealed out before burying it’s rough nose in the crook of his arm.

“I’m a bad piggy!” Spike’s called out from the floor finally alerting it’s owner to his peccadillo.

Kicking it away, it let out a high pitched squeal as it zoomed across the room. “Bloody hell that thing was…was shagging my boots!”

Wes was about to laugh at the look of outrage covering Spike’s face when his own piggy decided to get amorous. “I’m an afternoon delight piggy!” It snorted out as it began to grunt and bang against his elbow.

Throwing it off, it snorted as though it was offended. “I’m a churlish pig!”

Spike was so busy laughing at deep burgundy color of Wes’s face when he felt something nip into his leg. Looking down, his jaw dropped in shock as he saw his pig had bright yellow eyes and a small set of fangs. “I’m the big bad piggy!” It said in a low menacing voice, before letting out a deep rumbling growl.

“Oh right, I forgot to mention that part.” Doyle said doing his best to hold back his own laughter. “They’re both vampires and if you mistreat them, they shift into game face.”

“You mean Buffy gave us both cursed vampire pigs?” Wesley asked, deciding to ere on the side of caution and take several steps away from his own animal.

“Yes.” Doyle chocked out before making a hasty exit. Rushing outside, he met Buffy on the front steps before finally letting loose.

After several long minutes and a few short yelps coming from inside, Doyle took a deep breath before giving her a roguish smile. “I think it’s safe to say they’ll both be on their best behavior from now on.”

Smiling, Buffy pulled another pig out of her purse, before tossing it into the hotel. On Doyle’s questioning look, she shrugged. “It’s the vampire pig Slayer…only it’s retired and feeling very unappreciated. It doesn‘t look good for our heroes now does it.”