Author's Chapter Notes:
hmmm, more Spuffy interaction.....
Spike couldn't help but think ugly thoughts at what she'd just said, and he so prayed for her that they were not true. Then again, it made everything about her make sense. He could see how something so tragic would cause her to become so impersonal at work. No matter, if his worst thought came to be true, it would not make any difference to him. It would not interfere with how he was starting to feel about her.

Spike noticed how her eyes hardly focused, before she laid her head down and passed out. There was something about how her eyeballs twitched, something he would associate more with drugs than alcohol, but not the recreational kind; more of the illegal date rape kind that he had read about in the news and heard Angel talk about.

"Is she okay?" Willow asked her voice concerned.

"How many drinks has she had?" Spike asked, trying to keep his concern out of his voice.

"Two," Willow answered before adding. "She's not much of a drinker, but she's never been this out of it either after just two drinks."

"Did you notice if she left her drink unattended at anytime tonight?" Spike asked finding it hard to keep his concern hidden.

"I don't know. I didn't go up to the bar with her when she went to get it." Willow's voice started to quiver as she asked, "Should we take her to the hospital?"

Spike looked down at the beautiful young woman who was sleeping on his chest with such a sweet smile on her face. The last thing he wanted to do was cause her any type of embarrassment. He knew she would not appreciate it if he took her to a hospital, only to find she had too much to drink.

"I think we let her sleep it off, and then we ask her if she wants to go when she's able to decide for herself," Spike suggested, already deciding he was going to camp out on her couch.

"She can stay with me and Tara tonight in the guest room," Willow offered. "That way we can keep an eye on her."

"How comfortable is your couch?" Spike asked as he looked over at the door leading to the back way into the club.

A movement had caught his eye, thinking he saw the back door either open or close; he couldn't say for sure. He really started to suspect that someone had slipped Buffy a micky in her drink. He reached in his jacket and pulled out his cell phone and hit speed dial.

Willow watched as he carefully kept Buffy secure on his lap as he dialed. She started to worry that someone had tried to do something bad to her friend, when she suddenly became worried about Tara.

"Tara," she gasped. "I'll be right back."

Spike watched her go, knowing without asking that she was going to check up on the other woman at their table. He cursed that Angel was not answering his phone and wanted to just march in the club and hit him over the head with it.

"Hey, Spike, that you?" Angel finally answered.

"Soddin' took ya long enough," Spike sarcastically replied, and he pulled Buffy closer, feeling like they were being watched.

"I need to you come out back, pronto," Spike instructed Angel. Suddenly he did not feel comfortable being here alone with Buffy on his lap.

"I'm on it, be right there," Angel answered as he started walking to the back door. He had heard the urgency in his friend's voice.

"Where are you going?" Cordy asked her husband, having finally returned from getting a picture of the guy that tried to discreetly follow Spike and the woman he was carrying out the back door.

"Did you get the picture?" Angel asked, as he passed the redheaded woman returning back in to the club.

"Well, duh!" Cordy said as she glared. "Who do you think you're talking to?"

Angel snorted. "Sorry, forgot for a moment, miss secret agent wife."

Cordelia ignored him as she again asked, "Where are we going?"

"Spike called, sounded a bit worried. Thought I'd go see what he wanted, and tell him about mystery guest number three." Angel filled her in as he opened the door and let her pass through before him. "Secret Agent wife first."

"Someone wants to sleep on the couch tonight," she teased him. She felt suddenly uncomfortable seeing Spike sitting on a crate with an unconscious woman cuddled on his lap and an obvious worried look on his face. "Okay, what's going on?"

*******


Spike breathed an obvious sigh of relief when he noticed Angel and Cordy come walking out the back door. Even seeing just Cordelia would have made him happy, for the girl could kick anyone's arse, especially with those cockroach stompers she was wearing tonight; they were lethal.

"I think someone slipped her something of the not so legal kind in her drink," Spike informed them, as they got close enough that he could talk quietly. "I think I might be in need of hiring you."

"Oh, my…you know that means you pay us, right?" Cordelia asked, before Angel would tell his best friend it would be totally on the house.

"Of course I will pay, can't let my god brat go hungry now can I," Spike bantered back.

"I take it has something to do with the girl?" Angel asked, sounding professional now as things started to make sense to him.

"Yeah, but can we talk about it somewhere else. I feel like I'm the bug under the microscope, if you know what I mean," Spike offered, hoping they were not being spied upon. He wanted to catch the bastard that did this.

"I think that would be a great idea." Angel kept his response brief and gave Spike a look that told him not to say anything else out in the open.

As Spike was about to ask Cordy to go back inside and get Buffy's friends, the redhead came bursting outside with her friend in tow. By the way they were holding each other; it appeared their friendship was more than just that. He was sure they were lovers, and the feeling hit him that they were a perfect match for each other.

"Goddess, I'm so sorry. I left and never even told you my name," Willow gasped as she and Tara joined them. "I know Buffy knows you and there's a guy she works with that is named Spike. I mean how many Spike's in the world would know Buffy. I'm Willow and this is my girlfriend, Tara."

Tara shyly waved, smiling at her Willow's nervous chatter. "Hi!"

Spike smiled softly. "Yeah, not many Spike's and Buffy's in the world."

"I'm Cordy O'Brien, and this is my husband Angel. We're friends of Spike, well sometimes." Cordelia teased him. She held out her hand to greet the young women, seeing the same as Spike that these two women were a couple.

"I think we should move this party elsewhere," Angel suggested, as he discreetly looked around.

Spike stood with Buffy in his arms, and smiled when she softly moaned and snuggled closer to him, whispering his name. "Dreaming of me are you?" he softly asked in her ear.

"Dreaming," she replied, her voice barely heard above the blaring of a nearby car horn.

'Oh, Goldilocks, something tells me my life has just gotten complicated,' Spike thought as he followed the others out of the back alley.

"Spike, I'll drive your car," Angel said as he turned to Willow. "Where did Buffy park her car?"

"Buffy brings a cab here," Tara answered, watching Willow gaze at Buffy with such worry on her face. "We're going to take Buffy back to our place."

"Okay, where are you parked and we will meet you there?" Angel asked, as he continued to keep an eye for any signs of someone paying too much attention to their activity.

"Across the street from the entrance," Willow answered. She was starting to really worry now, seeing how serious the tall broody fella was getting.

"Give me your address in case we get separated?" Cordy asked, always backing up her husband's plans.

"2424 Sunstone Drive," Tara answered, picking up on the vibe that all was not well.

Spike followed them, keeping an eye on where he was going, but not listening to things being said. His major concern was getting this girl somewhere safe without him tripping and falling and hurting her in any way.

"Keys, cough them up," Angel instructed Spike. "I'm not going fishing for them."

"Don't worry, Peaches. They're safe out of the reach of my manly jewels," Spike teased. "In my coat pocket, right hand side."

"Funny, Casper," Angel chuckled as he reached in and grabbed the car keys. He took advantage of this time to tell Spike about the picture Cordy shot. "Cordy took a picture of someone acting suspicious when you carried her out of the bar."

"I knew there was a reason I liked her more than you." Spike's words meant to tease, but Angel noticed the look that entered Spike's eyes. He felt sorry for the man, if he was the one responsible.

*******