Author's Chapter Notes:
Spike talks to someone about Buffy......I wonder if it helps.....
Thomas Masters, President and Founder of Masters Inc., sat behind his desk worrying about his favorite employee. He looked over at his son, and wondered why the young man was so blind to Buffy's good heart. Everyday he wished that he would see more of himself in his son, other than looks.

"She's either left, or she was hiding from me." Thomas sighed, and wondered why Buffy was nowhere to be found. It was not like her to leave and not tell him.

"I'm thinking she needed a moment to herself," Spike suggested, trying to keep his father from noticing that he too was worried about her.

"Will, she's not the cold bitch you all think she is." The elder Masters defended his favorite employee, who he'd come to love like a daughter over the two years she had been in his employ.

"She's standoffish and stuck up." Spike gave his opinion of the girl.

"No. She comes to work and does her job. Do you know why she gets most of the client's?" Thomas asked.

"'Cause she's your favorite suck up," Spike offered his honest opinion.

"No, it's because they ask for her." Thomas chuckled sadly, feeling disappointed that his son was more like his mother than he wanted to admit. "They hear from her other client's how good she is, and they come and ask for her by name. She knows there are times she takes on too much, but she feels it would be a smack in the face of those that recommended her to say no. You would not believe the number of clients I've redirected to the others to help lighten her load and take the brunt of telling them no."

Spike looked shocked. "So you're telling me her being your favorite has nothing to do with it."

"William, it's what makes her my favorite. She represents why we are here. It's not always about the job, but the people we are serving. I'm just sorry you've not come to realize that." Thomas couldn't keep from sounding disappointed in his only child. "I'm afraid you are your mother's son."

Spike's eyes grew large when he heard his father compare him to his mother. Never in a thousand years did he think he was anything like his uncaring, selfish, superficial mother. His father's words hurt deeply.

"How could you say that?" he asked his father, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Why are you here? Is it the money, or do you really want to help our clients find their dreams, no matter how selfish or foolish they may be?" Thomas asked his son, as he continued to explain himself. "I've built this company to do just that. Yes, it has made me a rich man, but it has also given me a chance to see others make their dreams come true. I've also helped those who could not fulfill their dreams find other alternatives that have led to them having very happy live. I have lost very few along the way."

"I take it then that Buffy believes as you do." Spike sat back, feeling a spark of jealousy toward the young woman.

"Yes and no," Thomas answered, and he thought that if they only knew Buffy's history, and why she really kept her distance from her co-workers, they would understand.

"So, you really believe I'm like my mother?" Spike asked, finding it hard to keep the hurt out of his voice.

"Well, she is a part of you, and she's had far more influence in raising you. Something I do regret, not being able to be a better father to you." Thomas smiled at his son, hoping he'd pick up the idea he was trying to convey.

"You are a good father." Spike refuted his father's words. "You spent all the free time you had with me and you made that time mean something."

"Then why do you hold yourself back?" His father asked him. "Why do you judge something you know nothing about, or in this instance someone you really don't know?"

"So, you think I've misjudged your prodigal ideal employee," Spike snorted.

"Yes, I think you have," Thomas agreed, "and I have a solution."

"Oh! I can't wait," Spike huffed, as he leaned back and waited for his father's idea of helping him to get to know Miss Summers better.

"I want you and Buffy to pair off on the Giles' account," Thomas offered. "It's for a good cause, and it might open your eyes to why you should be here doing this job."

"Fine, you get Buffy to agree and so will I." Spike shrugged, knowing she'd refuse. The one time they worked together she was used as a quick consult, and then she was relinquished back to her own project at the time. He was sure his father would see the woman's true colors when she refused to work with a nonpaying client.

"Great, let me see if she's back in her office yet." Thomas' smile would have made a Cheshire cat jealous, as he picked up the phone and dialed her extension. "Buffy, could you please step into my office? I have something I need to run by you."

Spike about choked, when he heard his father say, "Yes, it is about the Giles account. How did you know? Never mind that, do you have some time right now to talk about it? Good, good, see you in a few."

"So, the bird heard something about it?" Spike asked, wondering how something like that made it to her ears, since she didn't talk to anyone.

"I wonder how? I have my suspicions, and I really must consider finding a new secretary." Thomas sighed and sagged back into his chair as he thought to himself that Harmony might need to be let go.

Spike snorted, "What does she do, really?" Wondering why the young woman still held her position.

Thomas just shook his head. "Not much really, she spends more time gossiping and less time working. I really did want to give her a real chance, for her father's sake." He had hired the girl as a favor to his long time friend Harvey Kendall.

Before Spike could respond, there was a knock at the door. Last thing he wanted was for Thomas to find out just how intimately he knew Harmony Kendall. He was sure when his father let the young woman go he would find out. Just the thought of his father's disapproval on finding out that his son had once slept with his secretary made him cringe.

*******