“Guarding Elizabeth”
Chapter 14

“I am so bored!” Buffy moaned plopping herself down onto the sofa chair next to the couch. “Isn’t there anything to do around here other than swimming and swimming?”

“Of course there is,” Xander insisted, picking up one of the weapons he was currently cleaning before answering her question. “There’s hiking.”

“Hate bugs.”

“Well then there’s skiing.”

“I’m tired of the water,” Buffy complained. “What can I do that doesn’t involve me getting wet?”

Xander put down the cloth he had been using to clean his gun and slowly began to piece the weapon back together. “Not quite sure about that one.”

Buffy sulked a little bit further into her chair. She couldn’t believe they had only been here for two weeks and already she wanted to kill herself. She could make her own fun if one person was willing to participate in the activities she had in mind. But, Spike was still avoiding her at all costs. After he had found her cell phone she went to Riley’s hoping he could liven up the dull time she was having here. Unfortunately Spike had shown up at just the right time and ended things before they even started. On the way back to the cabin Spike had tried not to hurt her feelings by explaining his inappropriate behavior on lack of sleep. She chose to ignore him and hasn’t spoken to him since that day. So, now they were both ignoring each other. And both of them made sure that neither was alone in a room together unless Xander was present.

Buffy’s thoughts disappeared when she heard the cock of Xander’s gun. She looked over at the coffee table which was littered with weapons. This was the first time she had noticed what he was doing.

“Wow,” She whispered, sliding off the chair and onto the floor. “I’ve never held one of these before. I mean I’m around them all the time with the extra security daddy has put around our house, but I’ve never actually held one.” She told him, reaching out with her right hand and wrapping it around one of the guns.

“Oy! What th’ hell are you doing?!”

Buffy’s hand froze. She gritted her teeth and closed her eyes, silently willing him to go away. Why did he always have to ruin her fun?

“Harris, why are you letting her touch those?” Spike grilled moving around the couch and stopping beside the coffee table, his gaze fixed on Buffy who was still holding onto the gun.

“Sorry Spike,” Xander apologized, prying the gun away from Buffy and setting it back down on the table far away from her. “I was so focused on putting this one back together I didn’t realize what she was doing.”

“These are dangerous, pet. We don’t need you blowing your hand off because curiosity got the better of you.”

“Dangerous? Really?” Buffy mocked, turning her head to look up at him. “Thank you for telling me that Officer Spike. Are there anymore lessons I’ll be learning from you today?”

Spike sighed, “I don’t have to put up with this shit today. Xander I’m going for a short walk through the woods just to check out the area some more, see if there are any houses we may have overlooked. I’ll be back later.”

“Why don’t you take Buffy with you?” Xander suggested.

Spike was about to tell Xander why that would be a bad idea until he heard Buffy talking.

“I really don’t think it would be safe for me to go walking around the woods like that,” Buffy theorized, totally against the idea of being alone with Spike even though a part of her loved the thought.

“Spike I have to run up to Goober’s again,” Xander said, paying no attention to Buffy. “If you don’t take her with you she’s going to be all alone at the cabin. Plus the girl is bored; it will give her something to do.”

“I can go to Riley’s,” Buffy recommended upon hearing what Xander had told Spike. “That way I won’t be alone.”

Spike sneered at the mention of Riley’s name. “Fine she can come with me.”

“But, I just said….” Buffy began to protest.

“Let’s go,” Spike shouted back to her as he was going out the door and down the porch steps. “We haven’t got all day.”

Buffy exhaled roughly before digging her heels into the carpet and stomping out the door after him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ouch!” Buffy yelled for the fourth time after being hit by a branch. “Why are there so many trees!?”

Spike rolled his eyes but continued to walk along the narrow barely visible trail that had been made by others over the years. His eyes scanned the area around them in every direction, his ears honed in on any tiny bit of sound he heard off in the distance.

“Luv, we are in a forest”

“I know that,” Buffy snapped back, smacking her arm where she thought she felt a bug. “It’s just these stupid branches keep smacking me in the face.”

“Push ‘em away then,” Spike told her a bit agitated. Whose idea was it for her to come along? Oh right, Xanders! He would just have to kill him when they got back.

“Everything is so simple to you isn’t it,” Buffy scoffed. “Just one simple solution for every little problem that occurs in life.”

“Tis the way it always should be, eh?”

“Like for instance,” Buffy went on, choosing to ignore him. “Kissing a girl and then refusing to talk to her.”

“I don’t want to talk about that.”

“See!” Buffy exclaimed when he proved her point. “Why? Because the guilt is eating away at you or is it because if giving the opportunity you’ll do it again?”

Spike stopped causing Buffy to run into him. He turned around to face her, his jaw drawn tight as he looked off into the distance searching for the right answer to her question.

Buffy crossed her arms and waited.

“Yes,” Spike finally answered before starting his walk again down the trail.

Buffy stood there for all of ten seconds with her mouth hung open before snapping back to reality. She raced to catch up to him, not caring this time how many trees hit her along the way.

“You didn’t answer my question,” She accused stopping in front of him.

“Buffy, why do you care why I kissed you? You seem too preoccupied making nicey nice with Captain Cardboard anyway.”

“I know why you kissed me,” Buffy told him stepping a little bit closer. “I just want to know why you won’t do it again.”

“I just can’t.”

“Why?”

“Because.”

“Why because?”

“Buffy.”

“Spike.”

Buffy stood there impatiently tapping her foot on the ground as she waited for his answer. When he didn’t say anything she huffed and spun away from him.

“That’s fine,” she brushed him off, choosing instead to make her own excuses for why he was acting this way. Just like she had been doing for the past week. “I wasn’t looking for some type of comm…..”

Buffy cried out in shock when she felt Spike’s hand on her arm pulling her to a stop and spinning her around. The next thing she felt were his lips closing over hers while he continued to bring her body closer to his own.

Spike shuddered when her body became flush with his. His mind raced with a hundred thoughts as his lips continued to play across hers, memorizing every inch of her. His hands pulled up the back of her shirt until they came into contact with her warm skin. This is what he had dreamed about for the past few days.

Buffy felt a shiver run through her body yet she wasn’t cold. Goosebumps scattered across her skin when Spike’s tongue briefly touched her in its exploration of her mouth. She felt her lower half being pulled forward by his hand resting on her hip. His other hand was buried in the hair at the nape of her neck. One by one she freed her arms from between their bodies where they had been crushed from him unexpectedly grabbing her and slamming their bodies together. She wrapped them both around his neck, helping her to lean in closer to him. But, she wanted to be closer than this. She wanted to feel so much more than what she was feeling right now.

Spike fought off the inner voice that was screaming at him to take her right then and there. He wanted to so badly. His body wanted to as well, which could be felt by the tightness in his pants, but he wouldn’t do it. Not here. Not like this.


Buffy gasped when she felt Spike jerk away suddenly. She fought to catch her breath as she watched him turn his back on her and start pacing. Why had he stopped? Did she do something wrong?

“Spike?”

Spike spun back around to look at her. His eyes transfixed by her heaving chest. Gods, she was beautiful. He loved the way she looked right now, the way her lips were swollen and red from his kisses.

“We have to get back,” was all he said to her before turning away again and starting back down the trial.

Buffy was confused. Not two minutes ago they were ready to devour each other and now he was back to crisp, conservative federal man. If girls could have a case of blue balls then she would be in some serious shit right now with all his mind flops. And it was realty starting to piss her off.

“What just happened here!?” she called after him, moving for the first time since she had been frozen into place by his kiss. “Hello? Are you even listening to me?”

Buffy tugged on his arm and jerked him around on his heels. She stared up at him waiting for him to answer her. He was not going to ignore her for days again, not if she had anything to do with it.

“Nothing happened here Buffy,” he answered very nonchalantly. He ran his hand over his face as he took in a deep breath. “Because I stopped us.”

“Ha,” Buffy scoffed. “Well that’s just great. Thank you so much for stopping it. Because heaven forbid that I – we – have a little excitement in our lives.”

“You’re being ridiculous.”

“No, I’m not,” she disagreed. “In fact I am so tired of this happening that I’m just going to go ahead and get what I want from Riley.”

“What!” Spike yelled, taken aback by her comment. “Now you’re just acting like a spoiled brat.”
Buffy exhaled sharply and ground her teeth together. “No, what I am is sexually frustrated.” She rolled her eyes when she saw the shocked look on Spike’s face after what she had just said. “Since you won’t do anything about it except add more fuel to the fire, I have decided to go get it from someone else.”

Spike grabbed her by the upper arm as she walked past him. “Don’t do this Buffy.”

Buffy tossed her hair over her shoulder as she looked back at him. “Watch me.” She started to walk away again, but felt that he wasn’t letting go.

“Don’t play this game Buffy.” He warned a final time.

Buffy let her head hang in defeat. Her shoulders slumped forward as she realized that there was no way to win this fight with Spike.

Spike felt her concede defeat and slowly started to let go of his hold on her. Once his arm was by his side he instantly regretted letting his own guard down so soon, because before he knew what was happening she was sprinting away into the trees.

“Dammit! Buffy!”

Buffy cried out in shock as she felt herself falling towards the earth. Her breath was knocked out of her when she hit the ground and felt Spike on top of her, his weight crushing her into the ground. The weight suddenly lifted as she felt herself being spun around, her back now in contact with the ground.

Spike had her pinned beneath him, the full force of his weight bearing down on her. He lowered his mouth to hers again and felt the fight in her disappear when she realized what his intentions were leaning towards. His body became tense when he felt one of her legs slighty wrap itself around his body.

“Don’t ever threaten to run off like that,” he gritted out all the while his mouth still played across hers.

Buffy clutched desperately onto him. Her breathing had become erratic again from the feel of his body so close to hers. She wasn’t sure how much more of these mind games her body and heart would be able to endure.

“Don’t do this,” she pleaded to him, not exactly sure why those words had escaped her mouth. “Please.”

Spike stopped kissing her and looked down wondering what she had meant.

“I thought this was what you wanted,” he finally retorted, his hand snaking its way down her body. “Me touching you like this.”

“Yes I do,” Her voice quivering when she felt his hand start to tug on the button of her jeans. “Don’t stop again. Finish.”