Chapter 4:


"So, we're meeting this Elizabeth Summers in LA?"

"Yeah, her flight from Sunnydale should be coming in about fifteen minutes after ours."

Spike exhaled noisily as he slouched back in his seat. He eyed the papers strewn across the table that separated him, Xander and Rose, one of several other agents that were currently on the plane. His eyes were sore from going over the dossier that had hurriedly put together on one Miss Elizabeth “Buffy” Anne Summers and he didn't feel like looking at it anymore.

"Whose idea was it to make three connecting flights in one day?" he asked rubbing his eyes with the palms of his hand.

"Oh, is Spikey tired already?" Rose cooed jokingly. "Does Lady Rose need to give you a back rub?"

Spike leered at her seductively. "Better watch it," he warned. "I just might take you up on that offer."

Rose laughed then went back to work scanning the files into a database for the FBI. She was so engrossed in her work that she missed the glances being exchanged between Spike and Xander.

Spike mouthed 'What?' to Xander, wondering why he was looking at him like a scolding father. Xander only shook his head and stood up from his seat.

"Uh, I'm going to get some coffee," he told them. "Do you guys want anything?"

Rose looked up from her laptop, pushing up her glasses that had slid down her nose some.

"Yeah, get me a coffee. Cream..."

"Cream, no sugar." Spike finished for her.

Rose flashed him with a smile and nodded her head. "You know me so well."

Spike smiled back and then looked up at Xander. "I'll have some coffee. Black."

When Xander was gone Spike got up from his own seat and took the one vacated next to Rose. He looked over her shoulder and started to read what she was typing.

"You know I hate when you do that," Rose scolded lightly, elbowing him in the stomach.

Spike laughed and sat back in the seat. He picked up a piece of paper and pretended to look over it.

"You sure you don't want to take my place?" he asked letting the paper fall from his hands and float back onto the table. "Be really fun. Get to enjoy time away from the Bureau. Free vacation."

Rose tilted her head to the side and gave him a look that said she wasn't falling for his crap.

"Oh, I don't think I should take this one. You seem so overly excited about it and it would just be wrong of me to take it from you."

"Eh, was worth a shot."

Xander came strolling back down the aisle towards them, two coffee mugs held in his hands. He set them both down on the table and then turned to go back to get one of his own.

Spike handed Rose her mug then picked up his and took a sip. As he lowered the cup from his lips, he sighed in satisfaction. As he brought the mug up for a second sip he heard the intercom click on.

"Ladies and gentlemen we will be landing shortly in LA. Please return to your seats and buckle up as we prepare for landing."

Spike groaned nosily as he sat up in his seat and buckled up. ‘Let the fun begin,’ he thought to himself as he watched Xander walk down the aisle to take his seat. ‘Hell is just around the corner.’


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Xander and Spike stood in the receiving area, watching as passengers debarked from the plane from Sunnydale which had just landed on the runway.

They studied each passenger as they exited the plane and walked down the steps, before disappearing into the terminal. Finally two well-dressed men came out and they knew that Elizabeth Summers had to be right behind them.

Spike flicked away the cigarette he’d been smoking and stood up straighter. He had left his sunglasses on the jet so the glare from the plane was making it hard for him to see clearly. He lifted a hand up to his forehead, shielding the sun from his eyes.

"That must be her." He heard Xander say beside him. He looked up at the top of the stairs and saw a girl about nineteen years of age walking through the doors behind the two men. He had to squint his eyes to see her better, and nearly choked when he saw what she looked like.

She was hideous. Usually he didn't think any woman was ugly, but this one took the cake. Her greasy, long brown hair hung low and limp about her face. The loose fitting clothes she wore had the effect of making her already scrawny body look even scrawnier, if possible. He was about to comment to Xander that it was no wonder the father wanted to put her in hiding, when the girl tripped slightly and sent her bag falling down the steps. This made him laugh out loud.

"God help us…" Xander whispered as he watched the incident.

This made Spike laugh even harder. "Why were we picked for this assignment again?" he asked, once his laughter had died down slightly.

"I think Walters put it like this," Xander began to explain, referring to their boss. "You are the best of the best at what you do. No other men are fit for this assignment."

"You sure we didn't do something to piss him off?" Spike asked, watching as the two men helped the girl repack her bag. "And that this," he said gesturing to the scene before them, "is the punishment?"

Spike heard Xander start to rattle on about responsibility next to him. Shaking his head at the girl with the greasy hair, he turned his gaze back to people continuing to exit the plane. If he looked at her any longer, he knew he’d start laughing again. His gaze drifted up the stairs and what he saw made his throat clinch. Two perfect feet in-cased in a pair of platform sandals were coming down the stairs one at a time. He let his eyes travel upwards and saw that the perfect feet joined two perfect ankles, which joined to two perfectly tanned and well-toned legs. Next his eyes caught sight of the perfect torso that the two perfect legs carried. The perfect body wore a form fitting white sundress, which showed off all the perfect curves lying underneath the thin fabric. Finally he reached her head. Soft, shiny golden hair flowed over her shoulders, coming to rest on the hint of bosom that peeked out from the neckline of her dress. Her face was hidden from his view, as the girl was currently looking at the two men helping the greasy-haired girl with her bag. He kept his eyes locked on her, hoping that he would get a peak at the beauty that was hidden beneath that lush hair. As luck would have it the perfect girl tossed her head slightly, causing her hair to flip behind her shoulder. Yes, she was definitely…

"Perfect…" he uttered, not realizing that he’d said it aloud.

"What?" Xander questioned next to him.

Xander saw that Spike's gaze was no longer fixed on the clumsy girl, but instead was staring at something else. He followed his eye line until he too saw the beauty waiting at the bottom of the stairs.

"Wow."

Spike nodded his head in agreement. He found himself wishing that she were the Elizabeth Summers to be guarded. He really wouldn't mind guarding that body for a long period of time.

"Come on," Xander said finally breaking out of his stupor. "Let's go help Ms. Summers with her bag."

"Yeah," Spike said still transfixed by the girl and her beauty.

Xander and Spike made their way to the greasy-haired girl and knelt down to help her pick up the remainder of her stuff. When they had everything securely in its place, they stood to greet her.

"Hi, Miss. Summers. Did you enjoy your flight?" Xander asked, sticking his hand out.

The girl furrowed her brows at him and looked down at his extended hand. She clutched her bag tight to her chest and started to move away. She quickly thanked the two men from the plane for their help, and then fled towards the airport.

Spike and Xander looked from her, to each other, then back to the girl running away from them. Both were confused as to why she had run off. Did she not know that she was to come with them?

"Ahem." They heard a gentle clearing of the throat and turned their gazes at the same time to the direction it which it had originated. There in front of them, stood the beauty they had been mesmerized by previously.

"I believe I'm the girl you're looking for," she said. "Elizabeth Summers...?"

"Oh," Xander said, his mouth frowning as he looked at her, then in the direction the other girl had taken. "We thought she was…"

"Yes, I know," she said her voice full of irritation. "I was sure you guys would have at least known what I looked like. Don‘t you have a picture of me?"

Xander scratched his head, looking everywhere but at her. "Um…maybe we should have gotten one."

Spike knew Xander was embarrassed from their mistake, and so was he, but he wasn't about to show it. Instead he plastered a huge smile on his face and introduced himself.

"I'm Special Agent William Hawthorne; this is Special Agent Alexander Harris. We've been assigned to guard you."

Buffy had been so annoyed that they’d assumed she was some clumsy waif; she hadn't really gotten a good look at the second man. When she did finally get a good look at him, she wondered how she hadn't noticed him first. She felt her whole body react as her hazel eyes met with his sapphire ones. Her anger dissolved as she stared at him, taking in the features of his face.

The well-defined cheek bones that were more pronounced when he smiled. The full lips that seemed to move in slow motion as he spoke to her, just begging to be kissed. And, the hair. She’d never seen anyone who could pull off bleached hair as well as he did, with his dark eyebrows in stark contrast.

"You're not old men," she replied almost meekly, taking his hand in hers. The heat that passed through her as their skin touched made her entire body want to shiver.

The handsome agent she was so enthralled by choked back a laugh at her remark. The other less then handsome -but certainly not unattractive- agent joined him in his laughter. They both held up their hands to their mouths to stifle the remainder of their chuckles.

Finally the handsome agent spoke, "We certainly hope not."

Buffy felt herself blush with embarrassment. She couldn't believe how lame she was! She just knew they must think she was the biggest ditz in the world.

Xander once again attempted to apologize about the mistaken identity. "I'm sorry again about the whole thinking that girl was you." His words died on his lips, feeling that he was only burying himself even deeper into a hole.

Spike spoke up to defend his partner. "We assumed she was you because these two men were in front of her when she came off the plane. Then, with the falling bag and helping her…well, it was a natural assumption." He ended his sentence and looked at the two burly men which still loomed nearby. He narrowed his eyes when he realized that they weren't of the FBI's own. "Who are the men anyway?"

Buffy answered for them. "They’re from my father's own security team. He insisted on having two of his own come with me, to make sure I made it safely."

Spike sneered at that. Leave it to daddy dearest to do something stupid like that. He was about to comment on how he felt about her father doing something that dim-witted but was interrupted by Xander instead.

"I am so glad we are rid of that man and his interfering ways. Did he not realize how dangerous it is to send his daughter off with two men we had no connection with? I mean we weren't even informed about this little change in plans." Xander finished his statement with a glance towards Spike to see if he agreed with him. All he saw was Spike shaking his head slowly as he peered off into the distance. Thats when it dawned on him everything he had just said. He glanced at Buffy, his eyes full of remorse as he tried to cover his actions.

"Not that it wasn't full of good intention," he clarified. "I'm sure your father was only concerned about your safety and felt he was doing the right thing."

Spike cleared his throat loudly, grabbing Buffy's attention away from the rambling Xander.

"Why don't we discuss this on the jet?" Spike recommended, stepping aside to show Elizabeth the way. "I'm sure Ms. Summers would like to relax and freshen up before we head out again."

Buffy smiled at William as she passed him. During the walk to the jet, she decided maybe this wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. Spending time with two handsome agents, with no one around to bother her or yell at her over her actions, was certainly worth taking advantage of.

Spike couldn't help but smirk at the petite body that walked in front of him. His eyes instantly fell to her backside as soon as she appeared in front of him and there they stayed as they waltzed up the steps to the jet. His eyes followed the movement of the dress as it swished about her legs each time her hips moved as she took a step. This was definitely turning into a not so bad assignment after all.