Chapter 9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy lazily moved her feet through the water of the lake, loving the calming effect the water gliding between her toes had on her. Currently, her mind was jumbled with thoughts of earlier this morning and the way Spike had cornered her into a vulnerable position. It didn't make any sense to her why he accepted Riley's offer of dinner, when that clearly went against the FBI's policy of total seclusion, meaning no outside contact. However, it really was her fault for the situation she found herself in at the moment. It never failed. Whenever she did something without thinking it through, she was bound to suffer the consequences. And, since she out and out lied about wandering off the other day it only seemed fair that she be put in an uncomfortable position like the one she would face later tonight. But, still that did not give Agent Hawthorne the right to toy with her like he did this morning. So, now that she had thought everything through, a rare thing with her, she was ready to enact revenge. The only feasible way to do that was to
put him in an uncomfortable position as well. And she knew exactly how to accomplish that.

Buffy turned her head and locked behind her towards the cabin when she heard the faint sound of a door opening and closing. When she saw the tell tale sign of shockingly white hair making its way across the deck she knew it was time to put her plan into action.

She quickly pulled her feet out of the water and laid down on her towel which was already spread out across the dock. She rested her head on her crossed arms and waited for him to come to her.

Spike made his way slowly down the steps towards the dock. He was taking his precious time only so he could study the sunbathing form of Miss Summers. Her already golden skin glistened under the sun from a combination of suntan lotion and perspiration. The pale pink string bikini she wore contrasted nicely with the color of her skin and he found himself smiling in appreciation of the little number. Her sun-kissed hair was pulled back into a loose bun that rested at the nape of her neck. Tiny wisps of hair were whipping in the wind from where they had managed to get free. Yes, she was a sight to behold.

"Havin' fun?" he asked as he stopped alongside her.

Buffy feigned surprise as she lifted her head to regard her visitor. When she saw Spike standing next to her, his hands shoved in the pockets of his khaki pants, she smiled.

"Hi," she greeted, reaching over for her sunglasses and slipping them on her nose. "I am so glad you're here," She told him, shifting around into a sitting position. "For a minute I thought I might have to walk all the way up those steps just to call on you."

Spike arched his brows at her statement. "Oh, wha' is it you need?"

Buffy pointed over to the bottle at the foot of the towel. "I need you to put some lotion on my back."

Spike eyed the bottle wearily. He knew that putting lotion on her would entail him to touch her, and touching her would lead to his body reacting in a wrong way. And said reaction was not something he should be having, him being an engaged man and all.

"Will you?"

Spike looked over at Buffy and almost groaned at the picture she created. Her lower lip was nestled between her teeth as she nibbled on it lightly, waiting for his answer. Her eyes were peeking out at him over the rim of her sunglasses and if he didn't know any better he could swear she was giving him puppy eyes.

Spike sighed in resignation and reached over for the bottle. His logic concluded that although the reaction he would have to touching her body was wrong, the motive behind it was all very innocent. So, since a positive and a negative thing cancel each other out, he was in the clear.

Buffy turned her body so her legs dangled off the edge of the dock. Once again she found her feet slicing through the cool water of the lake as she waited for Spike to lotion her up.

"Don't you want t' lie down?" Spike asked as he squirted a dollop of lotion in his palm.

Buffy shook her head and glanced at him over her shoulder. "Nah, I want to cool down a bit," she informed him, gesturing towards her legs.

Spike nodded his head in understanding before moving closer to her. He knelt behind her, careful to keep his body a good distance a ways, and placed his hand on her back.

Buffy inhaled sharply from the rush of cold contact the lotion brought her as it touched her skin. Since the bottle hadn't been lying in the sun for too long the lotion inside was still decently cool.

Spike kept his hand still as he waited for her to relax again. After she seemed to settle into a comfortable state he started to spread the lotion over the expanse of her back. At first he worked slowly, making sure to spread the lotion evenly and work it thoroughly into her skin. But, after he started to hear little sounds coming from her as his fingers moved over her skin he knew he needed to end this before things became to much for him to handle.

Buffy made sure to keep her face hidden from his view as she smiled. She could feel the tension in his touch and knew he was becoming uncomfortable. But, even though she had managed to reach her accomplishment of making him that way, she decided to take it a little further.

"Wait," she said, causing him to halt. "This isn't working."

Spike had no idea what she was talking about. Then again he wasn't really aware of anything around him except for the feel of her skin under his touch. He stared blankly at her back as her arm snaked around behind her. Suddenly as if he had been doused with cold water he snapped to attention.

"Wha' are you doing?" He asked as her fingers blindly searched for her bikini tie.

Buffy faked her struggle before finally giving up and huffing in failure. "Would you?" she asked Spike, glancing at him over her shoulder. When he didn't move she rolled her eyes and said, " The strings are in the way. Can you untie them and rub some more lotion into my shoulders and neck?"

Spike tentatively reached out and took hold of one end of the string around her neck. He pulled on it and watched as the strings gave way and fell from around her neck.

"Can you do the one on my back too?" He heard Buffy ask, breaking him from his trance of the newly exposed skin, which despite its lack of size still sent a shiver through his body.

"Won't it fall off if I...." He trailed off, letting the meaning of his question hang loosely in the air.

"I'm holding it in place." Buffy assured him, her arm draped across her front over her breasts.

Spike untied the second string and went back to work on rubbing the lotion into her skin.

Buffy moaned from the feel of his hands on her neck. She laughed inside when she felt him freeze for a split second before starting to move again. Maybe she was over stepping the line a little bit, but this was just too much fun.


"That feels nice," she mumbled, letting her head drop some. "Very gifted hands."

"So, why did you lie about meeting that Finn character?" Spike asked, trying
to change the subject to a safer, less sexual one.

Buffy rolled her eyes. Why did he have to bring that up? She thought angrily. She shifted her body a little, realizing that now she was the one becoming uncomfortable. For some reason a simple question coming from an FBI agent made her feel like she was being interrogated.

"I didn't lie," she told him. "I merely avoided bringing it up. If you had asked if I had encountered someone and I didn't say anything then it would have been a lie."

Spike chuckled under his breath. "Nice try, pet. But, I did ask you about it."

Buffy turned her head a little, glancing at him from the corner of her eye. "You did not."

"I asked you where you had been an' you replied that you didn't wander off, that you had been near the cabin th' whole time."

"Fine, I lied," she admitted with some reluctance. "I saw this boat riding through the lake and I had this urge to go see who it was. I was just so overwhelmed by the idea that someone else lived around here that I didn't think about what I was doing while I was doing it."

Spike stopped his task of rubbing lotion on her and started to wipe his hands together. "So, me an' Xander are boring company. Is that what you're tryin' to say?"

Buffy shifted her body so she her side was turned to him. She stared at him for a minute, taking in the narrowed eyes and the set jaw of his features. "No," was all she said before turning her back to him once more.

"Alright then," Spike said, moving to stand. "You're all lotioned up nice an' good. I'll be up on the deck if you need anything."

"Spike," Buffy called out just as he was about to leave.

"Yeah," he said, pausing at the base of the stairs.

"Will you tie me back up?" she requested softly. "I can't really do it myself without having to let go of my top."

Spike didn't answer. He simple walked back over to her and knelt once more behind her. His lifted his hands to her sides and searched out the strings attached to the bikini top.

Buffy lifted her arms a little to give him more room to move his hands as he took hold of the strings. She closed her eyes at the feel of his fingers brushing over her skin. Her mind drifted to earlier and how fast the light airy mood around them had changed once he brought up her indiscretion. She was a little disappointed that the flirtatious atmosphere she had been attempting to create had swiftly changed into one of awkwardness. But, that didn't deter her from wanting to try it again. Knowing that she had some affect on him made her absolutely giddy with excitement. Maybe this little
government vacation could be fun after all.

A smile spread across her face as she thought up different ways to get under Spike's skin. She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't even realize he was already done and gone. Only the gentle breeze from the lake rolling over her back let her know that the warmth formerly behind her was no longer there.