Chapter 2

After two hours of shopping Buffy was now at CVS Pharmacy alone, Willow had gone home thirty minutes ago to get ready for a date with her boyfriend Oz, waiting for a prescription to be filled. She was holding a shopping crate in her hands and was busy gazing at the various pregnancy tests that lined the front shelf of the pharmaceutical counter. She was so caught up in what she was doing that she didn’t notice her boyfriend, Angel, as he came up behind her.

"Is there something you want to tell me?"

Buffy jumped slightly, jarred form her trance when she heard the familiar voice. She turned and smiled at him before playfully swatting him in the arm for scaring her.

"Angel don’t do that." she scolded, a light tone in her voice. "You know I’m on edge lately."

He laughed. "Sorry, babe. So, why do these tests seem so interesting to you?" he inquired, picking up an EPT box and reading its contents.

Buffy plucked the box from his hand and placed it back on the shelf. Without answering him she rolled her eyes and walked over to the pick-up window to check on her prescription. Angel followed.

"Hello, may I help you?" the assistant behind the counter asked when Buffy stepped over to it.

"Yes, I need to know if a prescription for Buffy Anne Summers is ready."

"Let me check for you."

Buffy watched the lady walk off and started to drum her fingers on top of the counter. She felt Angel standing beside her and looked over at him. He was staring at her intently, obviously still waiting for a reply to his question.

"Angel, don’t worry. None of your little soldiers made it past the battlefield."

She heard him sigh in relief.

"What’s with the heavy shopping?" he asked looking into her crate.

"Remember I’m going away for awhile and my mom insisted I stock up on unnecessary stuff."

Angel’s mouth formed into an ‘o’ as he recalled an earlier conversation with her about this whole FBI protection thing.

"You know where you’re going yet?"

Buffy shook her head. "I don’t. Besides, if I did I couldn’t tell you," she told him, leaning closer to whisper. "It’s a secret."

"Come on babe you can tell me." He urged, pinning her with a seductive gaze before adding. "If you do I can meet you there and we can have a little rendezvous without worrying about your father walking in on us."

Buffy bit her lower lip and moaned when he brushed her hair off her shoulder and planted a kiss against her neck.

"Angel," she groaned. "You’re not making this very easy for me."

He pulled back and looked down at her. A silly grin plastered on his face. "I know."

"Ms. Summers."

Buffy pushed Angel away and turned back to the counter. She had been so caught up in the feel of Angel’s lips on her skin that she hadn’t noticed the assistant’s return.

"Will this be all?" the assistant asked, scanning the bar code on the prescription.

Buffy hefted her crate onto the counter.

"Um, this stuff too."

Buffy busied herself with running her hands up and down Angel’s chest while her purchases were being rung up. She really didn’t want to leave him for… she didn’t even know how long, she just knew that being away from him was going to be torture on her.

"I’m going to miss you so much." she spoke to his chest, still running her hands over it.

Angel lifted her head up to look at him. He lowered his mouth onto hers and kissed her softly before pulling away.

"I know," he said, wrapping his arms around her waist to pull her closer to him.

"$54.60."

Buffy turned around in Angel’s arms to pay for her stuff. She pulled out her mother’s charge card and handed it to the assistant.

While Buffy waited for her card to be approved her mind drifted to what Angel had said. It disturbed her that he hadn’t told her he would miss her too, only that he knew she would miss him. Why didn’t he say it? Was he not going to miss her? Her thoughts soon dissipated when her bag and credit card were handed to her and she was told to have a good day.

Buffy felt Angel tug on her arm, leading her out of the store. Once outside she pulled a receipt out of the bag and shoved it into her purse along with the others. Her father insisted on knowing each and every thing she purchased just so she wasn’t spending his money on foolishly.

"What time should I be over tonight?" She heard Angel ask.

"Are you not going to walk me home?"

Angel glanced down at his feet.

"Uh, I have to be somewhere in five minutes," he mumbled, his reply sounding totally unconvincing. "Personal thing."

"Oh."

"What time?"

"My parents should be in bed by midnight, so how bout 2:00."

"Great," he said, leaning down to kiss her quickly on the lips. "See you at two."

Buffy smiled wearily as she watched her boyfriend jog away down the street, her thoughts momentarily returning to his statement inside CVS. She continued to watch him until he disappeared around a corner. Glancing at her watch Buffy decided she had time to make one short stop before heading home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike pushed the door open to his apartment and extracted the keys from the lock. He made his way through the tiny living space that housed a single couch and an entertainment center. Upon entering the dining room he threw his briefcase onto the table and proceeded towards the kitchen where he could hear his fiancée talking on the phone.

"I wanted the seven layer cake with the white roses cascading down the side." He heard Dru tell someone over the line.

He pushed through the swinging door and saw her sitting at the breakfast nook, papers scattered out in front of her. He smiled when she looked up at him. His smile faded when she didn’t return it. He furrowed his brows and moved over to her. ‘What’s wrong?’ he implored with his eyes. He stopped beside her and leaned down to kiss her, hoping that would ease her frustrations over all the wedding arrangements.

"Not now Spike," she hissed, pushing him away roughly. "No, I said I wanted the white roses. Are you deaf?"

Spike stared at her wide-eyed. He then shook his head, clearing it of any thoughts that he had something to do with her anger, because he knew he didn’t. All day he had been away, so there was no way he had done anything to upset her.

Spike left the kitchen, leaving Dru alone to finish her conversation and deciding that later he would ask what had gotten her so upset.

He entered their room and pulled his jacket off his shoulders and draped it across the back of the chair near their bed. He then walked over to the dresser and carefully set his watch on it. While he was busy unbuttoning his shirt sleeves her heard Dru slam the phone down in the distance.

"No sex tonight," he mumbled under his breath as he took a seat on the edge of the bed. He had one shoe off when he felt Dru enter the room.

"Hey luv, what’s…"

"Why didn’t you tell me?"

He was about to question her when it dawned on him what she was upset about. It was his fault after all.

"Listen pet I was going to tell you but you’ve been so busy…."

"Busy?" Dru spat. "What kind of excuse is that? I’m your fiancée Spike, meaning I should be included in everything in your life that in turn effects mine."

Spike leaned forward on the bed, placing his elbows on his knees for support. He shoved both his hands through his hair until they came to rest on the back of his neck.

"Dru," he moaned. "You know I can’t include you in everything."

"I know that. You don’t think I don’t know that. I just want to be told when my fiancé is going to be going away."

"I know Dru. I’m sorry."

He lifted his head to look at her. She had her arms crossed tightly over her chest. Although he had apologized she still looked pretty pissed off.

They both stared at each other. Neither one moving or saying a word. It was so quite Spike knew he could hear a pin drop if it did.

Finally Dru moved. She stalked over to her side of the bed and lifted a suitcase off the floor. Spike’s jaw dropped when he saw it.

"Where are you going?" He asked, standing up.

"My parents," she told him without looking over at him. "I thought about spending this last night with you but…."

"Dru," he whispered stepping closer to her.

Dru moved away before he could touch her. "But, it would be to hard. Knowing…. knowing that tomorrow you’d be gone."

"Baby, don’t do this. I said I was sorry. Please stay," Spike said in an attempt to keep her there with him.

Dru made her way around him. She stopped in the doorway and turned to him.

"Be safe," she told him then vanished before he could stop her.

"I love you." Spike uttered just as he heard the front door close.