Author's Chapter Notes:
See, no stalking. Honest.
SURPRISE


Buffy had just gotten back from the store after buying Dawn’s cake and decorations for the house. She was about to walk up the steps to the front door when movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention. She turned to see Spike, ‘yummy goodness’ she thought, walking up behind her. She turned to smile at him, but noticed he looked upset. She frowned then, thinking that she wasn’t going to get to have her ‘date’ with the British hottie after all.

“Hey Spike. Dinner get cancelled tomorrow?” Buffy hoped she could hide her disappointment if this was why he was here.

“Uh. . .no. Just thought about something you said.”

“Okay. Can you be more specific? I’m pretty sure I said a lot of stuff the last time we talked,” Buffy said with a look of amused confusion.

“Oh, um, about the Niblet’s birthday. That’s today right?”

“Yeah. She’s sixteen today. Can you believe it? Oh wait, you haven’t even met Dawn so it’s not like it’s big shock to you. Sorry. Brain went away this morning and still hasn’t come back yet.”*Yeah, thanks for that Riley,* Buffy thought to herself.

Spike chuckled. “I sort of got the impression when you left your license at the library that that happens a lot. And your keys; can’t forget you forgetting those too. But hey, if you hadn’t been so forgetful then I wouldn’t be here talking to you now would I?”

“Speaking of, why are you here?” She noticed a look of apprehension settle on his oh so gorgeous face. “You said it’s not to cancel our da- I mean, dinner so what’s up?” She blushed at her almost mention of dinner with his parents as a date. She prayed he didn’t notice.

Spike smirked at her slipup of calling dinner with his parents a date. *If only,* he thought. “Well, I was thinking about the whole dinner thing these last couple of days and I realized something.”

Buffy arched an eyebrow at him. “Oh? And what would that be?”

“I don’t know a bloody thing about you other than your name is Buffy Summers, you have a younger sister named ‘Dawnie’ and you have a habit of forgetting important things and then hurting someone who tries to return them to you; other than that, not a thing. Care to remedy that?”

“And how would I do that?”

“Well, for starters, let me help you carry this stuff inside. And, if you don’t mind, maybe I could help you decorate for your sister’s birthday,” he said motioning to the bags of party paraphernalia.

Buffy seemed to think about it, though at the mention of him staying and talking to her, she had already made up her mind to accept his offer. Spike looked at her, hoping she wouldn’t tell him to get lost.

“Well, if you’re going to help me decorate, then you have to agree to stay for the festivities tonight. Deal?”

Spike couldn’t help the smile he had on his face. “Deal. Oh, and I hope you don’t mind, but I got the lil’ bit a present. Nothing too big; I just hope you won’t kill me when you see it.”

“Spike, you didn’t have to do that. Really. I mean, you don’t even know Dawn so-“

“Nonsense. If my parents taught me anything, it was to always be prepared. And my mum went so far as to teach me to always have a present for a lady on any special occasion. And it doesn’t get more special than a birthday right? So, I have a present. Deal with it yeah?” he added with a smirk.

Buffy felt warm all over. Here was this guy, a very hot guy, who had not only offered to help her decorate for Dawn’s birthday, but also got her a present. And he had never even met her. *Oh yeah, this one’s a keeper,* she thought. Her eyes went wide when that thought crossed her mind.*Whoa! What the hell was that?* Her inner voice seemed to scream.

Spike noticed the wide-eyed look on her face and instantly became worried that maybe he had over stepped his boundaries. *Stupid git. She agrees to go with you to your parents and then you just stop by and force presents on her sister that she hasn’t even bothered to offer to introduce you to. You scared her away. God, how stupid could you be?*

“Pet? You okay? You look like you seen a ghost?”

Spike’s voice broke into Buffy’s inner thoughts and she blushed when she thought about how she must look. She nodded her head.

“Yeah, sorry. Bags are heavy. And all the stuff that I need to do before Dawn gets home. Just kinda overwhelmed me you know?”

Spike relaxed a bit, glad he wasn’t the reason for her sudden *deer in headlights* look. He took the bags from her arms and motioned for her to walk ahead of him.

“Lead the way luv.”

Buffy blushed and walked up the steps and opened the front door. Spike followed her in the house and into the kitchen. He placed the bags on the table and looked at her.

“So, what first?”