JOYS OF A LITTLE SISTER


Buffy and Spike plopped down on the sofa with a sigh. It had been just over two hours since he had first walked up to her outside and offered to help her decorate. They had managed to turn the living room and dining room into a somewhat party-like atmosphere. They had talked while they were decorating and definitely knew more about each other than they had when they had first started. Some things surprised her about him.

Like the fact that he not only had a degree in education, but was also going back to school to get one in business so he could start his own preschool/daycare. She hadn’t really thought of him as a kid person. And yes, she had very obviously been thinking about him. He learned that she had a degree in photography but only took pictures for the newspaper to pay the bills. Her dream job would be to snap photos of models and landscapes. There were a few other things that they learned, but chose not dwell too much on. Their past loves for example.

All Spike found out about Buffy’s past was that she wasn’t easy or trusting and the one time she didn’t play hard to get, she ended up getting burned. Buffy learned that Spike was faithful, having been with one woman for four years. When she asked why he wasn’t with her anymore, all Spike said was she had done the one thing he could never forgive. Buffy noticed the pained look in his eye, so she decided to let the subject drop.

They were chatting about the party when Buffy asked Spike if he was thirsty. He nodded his head and she went to get them some sodas from the fridge. She came back and noticed that he was standing up and looking at the family photos on the mantle. He was currently looking at a picture of her, her mom and Dawn. She smiled sadly when she thought about those happy times.

“That’s my mom. And there’s Dawnie. I think we took that picture about two years ago,” she told Spike handing him his drink.

He smiled at the picture. She looked happy then. They all did. He could see how her sister resembled her and how they both looked so much like their mom.

“So, where is your mum? I figured she’d be here helping you with the Bit’s party?”

Spike noticed the sad and faraway look on her face. Buffy looked at the picture then looked away as she felt tears come to eyes.

“She um, she died a few months ago,” Buffy managed to choke out in a whisper.

“Pet, I’m sorry. I didn’t think,” Spike tried to backpedal his foot out of his mouth.

Buffy shook her head. “It’s okay. It’s not like you knew. How could you have? I mean, we barely met over the weekend. Although, now you know pretty much all about me so. . .”

“Pretty much? Can’t I know everything?” Spike asked with an impish laugh , trying to lighten the dark mood.

Buffy rolled her eyes at him, but smiled softly. “Maybe. Depends I guess.”

“On?”

“I’ll tell you if you tell me,” she said with a impish look of her own as she noticed the surprised look on his face.

“What makes you think I haven’t already told you everything?”

“Call it female intuition, but I know you still have a few secrets. That’s okay though. Just gives me something to worm out of you later,” she said with a shrug.

Spike’s eyes widened and Buffy gasped and blushed as she realized what she had just said.

“Who knew?” Spike said shaking his head.

“Huh?” Buffy said, giving Spike a confused look.

“I said, ‘who knew’”

“Who knew what?”

“Who knew that your blushing could be even more adorable than your rambling.” Spike smiled wide as he noticed her cheeks deepen an even darker shade of red.

Buffy was about to open her mouth and say something when she heard keys in the lock and the front door open. She looked over her shoulder to see Dawn stumble in the house, arms laden with flowers, balloons and a couple of gifts and her backpack slung on her shoulder. She glanced into the living room and gave Buffy a smile before she noticed the oh so gorgeous blond guy standing with her sister. She looked from Buffy to Spike and back to Buffy.

“Oh, Dawn, you’re home,” Buffy said nervously, shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

Dawn walked into the living room and put the flowers and gift in the table, let the balloons drift up towards the ceiling and dumped her backpack on the sofa. She looked Spike up and down before looking back at her sister and giving her a smile.

“Where else would I go Buffy? I do live here you know?”

“I know that Dawnie. I just didn’t realize it was so late in the day,” Buffy said with a little agitation. She looked at all the stuff Dawn had barged through the door carrying. “What’s all this?”

“Oh, well, the flowers and that present there are from Conner. The balloons are from Angel and that other present is from Fred and Wesley,” Dawn said pointing each item out.

“Angel sent you balloons? How sweet. And Conner? I thought you guys had broken up,” she asked with a frown of confusion.

“Well yeah, but we’re still friends. Although, I think he may want to get back together. I’m thinking about it, but I don’t know.” She glanced at Spike and nodded in his direction. “Whose this?”

“Oh, sorry. Dawn, this is Spike. Spike, this is my sister Dawn.”

Spike stepped forward and offered his hand to the smaller version of Buffy. Dawn looked at him like he was going to attack her before tentatively shaking it. Spike chuckled lightly. ’Just like big sis,’ he thought.

“So, you’re Spike,” Dawn asked. Not waiting for an answer, she turned to Buffy and said, “You’re right. He is hot.”