Author's Chapter Notes:
Been forever, i know and i'm so so so sorry. forgive? please?
I know the title is kind of sexist, but I couldn’t help it. I thought of bringing home the bacon and had to substitute Buffy for bacon. But, being that I am a woman and I am being sexist towards women (sort of) I figure it’s okay. So, go me. If you don’t like it, then simply don’t read it. Now, having said that, I also want to say that this chapter really kicked my behind. As you read it, you’ll see that most of it involves thoughts and inner arguments. I really didn’t have issues with Buffy’s mind, but Spike’s on the other hand, well, that was a different story. Also, right before I wrote most of this, I moved from Oregon to Texas to Arizona. Yeah, not only was the chapter a p.i.t.a (pain in the ass), but so was real life. Anyway, just thought I would explain some things. And there you have it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BRINGING HOME the BUFFY

Chapter 10

The day seemed to pass too quickly for Buffy. She could have sworn that just a couple hours ago she had woken up and yet, here she was getting ready for her date with Spike.

*No, not a date. It’s a favor. Nothing more. Just a favor.*

*Then why are you putting so much effort into looking good for ‘just a favor’?* a voice in her head calmly asked.

*I’m not putting that much effort into it,* she argued with herself.

*Right, you keep telling yourself that denial girl*

*Oh, who asked you anyway. God, what am I doing? Why am I meeting his parents? I don’t even know him!*

*But you’d like to know him wouldn’t you?*

*No, I wouldn’t.*

*C’mon. You know you do. Remember what it felt like when he kissed you last night? Remember wanting more than just that simple goodnight kiss?*

Buffy closed her eyes and ran her fingers softly across her lips as she remembered how tenderly Spike had kissed her. Suddenly realizing what she was doing, she rolled her eyes and dropped her hand.

*What am I doing? * she asked herself again, smoothing out her skirt. She stood and looked at herself in the mirror. She had decided to wear a red gypsy skirt with a white tank made of the same flowing material. She had done her makeup light and worked her hair loosely in a clip.

Staring at her reflection, she continued her mental conversation with herself.

*Who am I kidding? It was just a kiss. I’ve kissed and been kissed before. God, I’m acting like this is the first guy I’ve ever had a crush on. . .*

Her eyes went wide as she realized what she had just thought.

*Oh God! That explains so much. No wonder I’m going through with this. I like him. I mean, I really like him. Wow.*

Buffy sat down on her bed, fiddling with the hem of her shirt, though she hardly seemed to be aware she was doing it as she thought about what she had just realized.

*This is just great. How am I supposed to act around him now? It’s not like I can be all ‘hey Spike. How are you? I like you by the way.’ Oh god, I’m going to make a total fool of myself and he’s gonna regret asking me to this dinner. I should call him up and just cancel. Yeah, that’s what I’ll do.*

Buffy got up and went downstairs to get Spike’s number from the kitchen. She had just passed the front door when the doorbell rang. Glancing at the clock on the wall, she noticed it was seven twenty-five.

*Oh God,* she thought as the doorbell rang again. *He’s here. He’s here, I’m ready (physically anyway) and I can’t cancel. I just can’t. I just. . .*

“Buffy,” Dawn interrupted her thoughts as she called from upstairs. “Are you gonna answer that?” she asked as the doorbell rang a third time.

Buffy took a deep breath and shouted towards her younger sister upstairs, “yeah, I got it.” She turned towards the door and reached for the doorknob. Closing her eyes she tried to calm her suddenly racing heart. Opening her eyes, she smiled and opened the door.



The day couldn’t have gone slower for Spike. Of course, waking up at dawn didn’t seem to help this situation. His night had been filled with dreams of Buffy and more than just the simple kiss he had given her just last night. All day, no matter what he was doing, his thoughts always drifted back to his girl.

*cuz that’s what she is, even if she doesn’t realize it.*

*Great,* Spike thought with a grimace, *I’m starting to sound like a bleedin’ stalker. Well I’ll have none of that. Can’t go scaring the girl before I have a chance to sweep her off her feet.*

*Oh yeah mate. You got it bad.*

Spike smiled as he realized he did, indeed, have it bad. He truly liked the girl, even if he hardly knew her. And never mind that they had just barely met not even a week ago.

*Da always said he knew right away when he met mum that he was gonna marry her. Said you always know. Called it. . .what was it? Right. Love at first sight. Is that what this is? Maybe I should ask mum. Get the female perspective and all.*

Realizing that he was having a conversation with himself, Spike chuckled and shook his head.

*First, I go all stalker on the poor girl. Then I start talking to myself like a flippin’ looney. Lord, I think I hung around Dru too much*

Groaning at the thought of his ex, Spike shook his head.

*Now’s no time to be thinking about her. She’s part of my past. Not looking to open up those wounds. Not when I’m about to go see my Goldilocks.*

“Speaking of seeing my Goldilocks, I better go,” Spike said aloud, glancing at the clock and noting it was six forty-five. Looking at his outfit, which consisted of black jeans and a red dress shirt, one last time and making sure he had his wallet, he grabbed his keys and left his apartment to meet the girl in question.

Spike pulled up to her house at fifteen after seven and took a deep breath before he turned off his car.

*K mate, let’s try not to scare the girl tonight. Yeah, you like the chit, but it’s not a date. It’s just a favor.*

*yeah right. ‘just a favor.’ Who are you kidding anyway? You know you want this to be more than ‘just a favor.’*

*Well, yeah, but I’m not gonna push for anything more. Quickest way to guarantee I never see her again is to push for something she doesn’t want. So, I’m just gonna take things slow. Yeah. Slow*

Nodding his head in agreement with himself, Spike got out of his car and made his way up the walk to the front door. Adjusting his top button, he put his hand out to ring the bell.

*Guess this is it. No turning back now. Not that I want to of course, just, if I wanted to I couldn’t. I mean, I could but that would be rude and I don’t want to be a bad, rude man. Yeah, so no cuttin’ out tonight. Yeah. Not gonna happen.*

Smiling after yet another self to self conversation, Spike pressed the doorbell and waited.

And waited.

He pressed it again, getting a bit nervous. He looked at his watch. Okay, so he was a bit early, but only a few minutes. Buffy hadn’t called him or anything to tell him she had changed her mind. Glancing through the window on the door, he could see the shadow of a person standing just a few feet away.

*Okay, * he thought as he rang the bell a third time, * one more ring then I’ll just go. *

He waited a beat, then turned to leave. Just as he was about to step off the porch, the front door opened, revealing the woman who had been in his thoughts for the past week. And she was smiling.



Opening her eyes, she smiled and opened the door. And felt her heart skip a beat.

*God he looks good. Real good,* she thought at the same time he was thinking, *wow, she looks. . .wow.*

“Um, hey Spike. You’re gorgeous. I mean, early. Yeah, you’re early. God, I didn’t just say that.”

Spike chuckled, though he blushed at the faux pas compliment.

“Yeah, hope that’s okay. The early thing, not the, um, gorgeous thing. Uh, yeah. Can I come in?”

“Oh god. Yeah. Please do,” Buffy said while stepping back and opening the door wider. Spike stepped passed Buffy, smiling as their eyes met for a split second, then she blushed and looked down.

Not knowing what to say to each other the couple stood there in silence, occasionally glancing at each other. Just as the situation was promising to get even more awkward, Dawn came down the steps carrying her overnight bag. Both were too busy actively not looking at each other that neither noticed the pointed looks the teenager was giving them. Stopping three steps from the bottom, she dropped her bag and smiled at Spike.

“Hey Spike. How you doing?”

“Hey Bit,” Spike said, smiling at the younger Summers. “I’m good. And you? Feeling any older?”

Dawn smiled and rolled her eyes. “Oh yeah. So much so that I’m ready to start talking about driving. And take the tests. And the classes. And start driving. And all that driving goodness.”

“Dawn,” Buffy sighed, “I said we’d talk about it. Just didn’t happen today. But we will get to it. I promise.”

Dawn rolled her eyes again and sighed. “Anyways, I’m off. Janice’s mom should be here any minute. I just wanted to say ‘hi’ and ‘bye’. Oh, and to say ‘thank you’ to Spike.”

Spike started a bit at the mention of his name. “Me? For what?”

“Well, two things actually. First of all, thank you for my present. I can buy so much at the mall with fifty bucks.”

“What!?! Spike, you didn’t!”

Spike looked down sheepishly. “Yeah, I did. It’s just, how in the world do you shop for a teenage girl?”

Buffy sighed and crossed her arms. “We are so gonna talk about this later mister.”

“Whatever Buffy. Just deal with it. I mean, it was my birthday after all. And just think, Spike giving me fifty bucks just means that’s fifty you yourself don’t have to give me.”

Thinking about what Dawn had said, Buffy threw her hands up in the air and shook her head. “Fine. Whatever. But that doesn’t mean that I’m okay with it. And it really doesn’t mean you aren’t in the doghouse Spike cuz you so are.”

Spike and Dawn glanced at each other, both trying to hide a smile, understanding that Buffy meant to have Spike in her life. At least for a while.

“Okay. He’s in trouble. Can I finish my thanks now?” Dawn asked with exasperation only a teenager can have.

“Yes Dawnie,” Buffy said, stressing her sister’s name.

“So, like I said,” Dawn continued, turning back to Spike, “thank you for the fifty. And thank you for my sister.”

Buffy and Spike both gave Dawn a questioning look. Before Buffy could ask her what she meant, Spike beat her to the punch.

“Bit? What do you mean for your sister?”

“Well see, if she wasn’t going out with you tonight, like a normal woman her age should, she’d stay at home like the old maid she was quickly becoming. So, like I said, thank you.” She looked out the window and picked up her stuff when she heard a car horn honk. “Anyway, there’s Janice and her mom. I’ll see you tomorrow night.” She gave Buffy a hug. “I love you. Have fun. Bye Spike. Be good to my sister or I’ll hunt you down and make you regret ever hurting her.” She waved good-bye and walked out the door, leaving two very stunned people in her wake.

Buffy was the first one to break the silence. “I swear, she’s not gonna live to see her next birthday.” She shook her head, then turned to look at Spike. “What are you laughing at?”

“She called you an ‘old maid’.”

“Oh, shut up. I wouldn’t laugh Spike. At least she didn’t threaten me. You, Spike Giles, are a marked mad.”

“Yeah, speaking of that, has your sis always been that scary or is it something that just happened when she turned sixteen?”

“Actually, little bit of both. We Summers women are not to be messed with.”

“Well, I think I’m up to the challenge.”

“Good to know.”

“So,” Spike said, getting uncharacteristically nervous, “you ‘bout ready to head out?”

“Um, yeah, just about. Let me grab my purse and I’ll be good to go.” Buffy quickly climbed the stairs to her room.

Spike waited at the base of the stairs and felt his breath catch when he looked up at the sound of Buffy coming downstairs.

“Ready.”

“Uh. . .”

“Spike? You okay?”

“Hmm? Oh yeah. Just. . .you look bloody amazing.”

Buffy blushed at the compliment. “Thanks. You don’t look so bad yourself.”

Spike mentally shook himself and smiled up at Buffy as she descended the stairs. “Yes. Gorgeous wasn’t it?”

Buffy’s blush deepened. Spike smiled, knowing he would never get tired of seeing that.

“Something like that,” Buffy mumbled to herself. She walked passed Spike and picked up her keys from the table. She waited for him to pass her and go outside before following him out, locking and closing the door behind them.

Spike gently put his hand on the base of her back as he led her to his car. They were both silent as he opened her door and waited for her to settle herself in before closing it and then going around to his side and getting in.

The day seemed to really be against the occupants of the black Desoto. For Buffy the half hour ride seemed to take only minutes. One instant she was sitting in Spike’s car in front of her house. The next thing she knew, they were pulling up to a modest single story house.

For Spike, it was as if thirty minutes had turned into an eternity; it was the longest drive of his life. Not to mention the quietist. That’s what really bothered him. He had never been at a loss for words in his life; yet, with this woman, he could barely collect his thoughts enough to say two words to her, let alone have an entire intelligent conversation.

Pulling up to his parents’ house, Spike sighed in relief that they were finally at their destination. Though, looking over at the woman who had occupied his thoughts so often quite recently, he wasn’t sure if he was glad or not. On one hand, he wouldn’t have to worry about thinking up something to say. On the other, not only would he not have Buffy to himself, but she was going to be subjected to his mother.

*Oh well mate. You’re here now. Best just get it over with,* he thought while turning off his car.

Getting out and going around to open Buffy’s door, Spike held out his hand to help her out. Smiling up at him gratefully, she mentally shook herself and took his hand. As they walked up the path to the house, she felt the slight pressure of his hand on the small of her back and she smiled.

Stopping at the front door, Buffy felt the butterflies that had been with her all day turn into bats.

*Well, this is it,* she thought, mirroring Spike’s thoughts from earlier. *No turning back now.*

“You ready for this Goldilocks?” Spike asked Buffy, startling her out of her thoughts. Seeing the nod of her head, Spike pressed the doorbell.

*Oh my God! What am I doing?* Buffy thought for the third time as the front door opened.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have to take a moment to thank my husband because I had a hard time figuring out what Spike had gotten Dawn for her birthday. And, seeing that not only is he a guy, but also that I do have a younger sister myself, I figured who better to give me the input in trying to get in good with big sis through little sis.