Author's Chapter Notes:
The first two chapters were posted on Dangerous8 without a beta so if there are any plot misfires, that's why.
THE FAVOR

Spike looked up and down the street before looking back at the house. Somehow, he hadn't pictured his little minx living in this family oriented home. He wondered belatedly if maybe she was a mom or someone's wife. He hadn't noticed a ring on her finger the other day, but then again, he wasn't exactly looking at her hands when he did look at her.

Sighing, he put his hands in his pockets and walked up the walkway to the front door. He rang the doorbell and waited for someone to answer, praying that it wouldn't be some big, jealous husband type. He was about to ring again when he heard footsteps coming to the door. He smiled when the door opened and there stood his blonde beauty with flour on her face and her hair up in a messy bun. She looked confused at first, then stunned, followed closely by anger and finally wariness.

"Spike?"

"Made an impression the other day did I pet," he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"What are you doing here? Did you follow me home the other day? Are you stalking me? I know tae kwon do so don't try anything. If I hurt you it's considered self defense. I'll scream and my neighbors will hear and call the cops and then-" Spike stopped her mid-rant.

"Buffy, take a breath. You're turning blue, luv" he said with chuckle. Buffy stared at him open mouthed for a second, closed her mouth, took a deep breath and composed herself. She crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes to look at him.

"Spike, what are you doing here and how did you know where I lived?"

She noticed his hands were in his pockets only after he took out his left hand to get something from his back pocket. Her eyes went wide when she noticed it was her driver's license. Before he could say anything, she ran upstairs to her room to get her wallet, forgetting that he was there or that the door was wide open. She quickly went through it only to see that her license was, in fact, missing. She hadn't even realized it. Talk about not paying attention. She just thanked God that she hadn't been stopped by the police in the last two days.


She suddenly remembered the blonde hair, blue eyed guy standing in her doorway. Smacking her hand against her head, she went back downstairs. Spike was still standing where she left him, looking down at his shoes for lack of anything better to do. He looked up when he heard the stairs creak announcing her way down. Buffy smiled sheepishly and blushed. Spike just stood there and smirked, holding out her license.

"Thanks," she said, taking it from his hand and putting it on the table by her keys. "You didn't have to bring it you know. I'm sure the library would've called if...wait, if I left it at the library, why do you have it?"

"Mind if I come in luv? I promise to keep my hands to myself. I have a favor to ask you too. Nothing bad," he added when he saw the look on her face. She thought about it for a second then moved aside to allow him access to her house.

"Coffee?" she asked.

"Sure pet. Lead the way." Spike followed Buffy into the kitchen and chuckled when he saw that she was in the process of making a cake when he had come calling. She indicated for him to sit at the table as she went about making the coffee and trying to tidy her attempt at baking mess.

When the coffee was done, she poured them each a cup and placed his in front of him. She then got the sugar and creamer, along with a couple of spoons, and put them on the table also. She sat down and put just enough creamer and sugar in her coffee to take away the bitter taste. She watched in awe as he put spoonful after spoonful of sugar in his cup. He looked up at her and she raised an eyebrow.

"What?"

"Like a little coffee with your sugar I see. Explains a lot I guess."

"What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?" She smiled and shook her head.

"So, tell me, Spike, how did you get my license and what favor can I do you for...I mean...can I do for you? Oh, shut up," she said when he laughed at what had just come out of her mouth.

"So pet, wanna do me huh? Can't say I blame you." Buffy rolled her eyes.

"I so didn't mean it like that. That's just what I say to my friends. Ego much? If all you're gonna do is laugh at me, in my house, then I have to ask you to get out."

Spike stopped laughing, but couldn't keep the smile from his lips. "Okay, I'll behave...for now." Buffy rolled her eyes. "Anyway, my Da saw your license the other day and asked if I could return it to you. Didn't have anything to do, so I said yeah."

"Wait, your what?"

"Da? Sorry..." he rolled his eyes, "American women", he grumbled with a shake of his head, "my dad. Mr. Giles. The librarian. You know?"

"Wait, Giles is your dad? But he's so nice and refined and gentlemanly and you're so...not."

"Gee, thanks so much for the vote of confidence pet," he said with a roll of his eyes.

"Why did it take you so long to bring it by? I was at the library on Saturday and it's Monday. What possibly could have happened on Sunday to keep you from...wait, you know what? I don't want to know. Thank you for bringing it by. I don't know where my mind was when I left it. Or rather, when I didn't notice it was gone. Thank God I didn't speed or write a check or..what?" she asked when she noted his smile.

"Anyone ever tell you that your bloody adorable when you ramble?"

"I wasn't rambling," she said stubbornly. When she saw his smile get bigger, she blushed and looked down sheepishly. "Was I?"

He nodded. "Yeah, but I don't mind. You scrunch up your nose when you're thinking really hard. Like I said, adorable."

"Whatever. Anyway, did you say something about a favor too?" She noticed that he suddenly became shy and blushing. She couldn't help but smile when she saw this cocky, egotistical guy acting shy around her. His question, though, about knocked her out of her chair.

"My parents invited me for dinner on Friday and I wanted to know if you wanted to go," he said without looking at her and studying his cup of coffee. When she didn't answer right away or hit him with anything, he looked up at her and saw her just staring at him, in a trance almost. He waved his hand in front of her face. "Pet? You still there?"

"S-sorry. You just kinda...threw me for a loop is all. Dinner? With your parents? Why?" She couldn't keep the shock from her voice as she tried to think why this guy, whom she had just met, was inviting her to dinner with his parents.

"Well, to be honest, if I don't have someone in my life, my mum sees fit to invite a lady friend for these dinners. Kinda like a blind date. You know? And I just kinda want to avoid it this time. Besides, I kinda like you and wouldn't mind getting to know you better."

"Did that knee to the groin do some kind of permanent damage to your brain or something?" she asked half seriously, though she was thinking about saying yes.

"Thanks for bringing up a sore, and I do mean sore, subject pet," he winced at the memory. "So, what do you say? Be my Friday night dinner buddy? I'll pay you back anyway you can think of." He curled his tongue behind his teeth, letting her guess just how he would like to pay her back.

"Eww. Gross much." she said when it became obvious how he wanted to pay her back. "Fine, but only as. ..friends. Deal?"

"Deal. Wanna shake on it?" He held out his hand. She looked at it like it was going to attack her, then rolled her eyes and took his hand in a shake.

"Well," he said, standing up," I better get. Thanks for the coffee and the favor. You know what? Here's my number in case you change your mind." He quickly wrote his number on the pad that was next to the phone. "Mind giving me yours just in case they cancel?" She quickly did the same thing he did and tore off the page, handing it to him.

"So, who's the cake for pet? Kid? Hubby? Boyfriend? Lesbian lover?" he asked as she walked him to the door. "What?" he said when he noticed the amused look on her face. "I just don't want to get beat up for asking you to dinner with the 'rents you know?"

"Subtle much," she asked him. He blushed and looked away. "It's for my sister Dawn. Thursday is her birthday and I wanted to make is special since. . .never mind," she shook her head and tried to fight back the tears. Spike noticed that she was close to crying and decided to drop the subject.

"Okay, well, I guess I'll see you on Friday. I'll pick you up at seven thirty okay?" he asked her. She nodded.

"Sounds fine. Wait, how should I dress? Jeans and blouse or dressy type?" She'd never had dinner with any of her boyfriend's, or friend's for that matter, parents before so she didn't know how to dress.

"Dress should be fine if you don't mind." She shook her head. "Well, then it's settled. See you Friday and tell the nibblet 'happy birthday' for me." With that, he walked down the steps and back to his car. She stood in the doorway watching him drive away, unsure of what the think of the gorgeous blonde that had essentially asked her out on a date. Sighing, she went back inside and closed the door, making sure it was locked. 'It's going to be a long week,' she thought.