Part Three





***



Day Five



***



"I'm bored!" Buffy declared as she entered what she now knew to be the drawing room where Spike sat reading a newspaper.



"Why don't you go riding again, ducks?" Spike asked with the calm indulgence that putting up with Drusilla for over a century had brought him.



The day before Buffy had been asked if she was well enough to do her usual Wednesday-morning ride. So thrilled at being able to do something she'd dreamed about for years she had ridden all day resulting in a very sore back. Mabel, who she'd discovered had been 'her' nanny, had kindly ran her a hot, luxurious bubble bath with some American products they'd apparently ordered the month before. This was when Spike had deemed it a good idea to come and have a chat. However, the bubbles were evaporating almost as quickly as Buffy's patience and she eventually splashed him to get him to leave.



"Apparently it rained all night and it was pointed out to me that I didn't want to get all muddy." She collapsed into the couch opposite Spike and eyed him with a frown. "I thought you were supposed to be the hyper one and there you are calmly reading a newspaper while I'm bouncing off the walls!"



"A) I'm not hyper. B) You're hardly bouncing off the walls. C) The newspaper is informing me of the fact that it is you and I, my pet, who are having a party, next Saturday. Also, we're in Yorkshire. It's the 22nd of July, 1872."



"We're having a party?"



"I love what you pick up on!" Spike muttered, then said more loudly. "Yes, pet, us, you and me, here, in this house in eight days."



"I need a dress, if we're still here."



"Apparently you chose it last week, Mabel put it on the bed if you needed to be reminded of it." At Buffy's questioning look. "I figured that would be your first question so I asked."



"You know you're taking the whole time travel thing pretty lightly, don't you want to go home?"



"Um, let me think. Should I go back to my pissed off girlfriend in good ol' Sunnyhell or should I be happy with my holiday where I can relax. Tough choice. Anyway, you don't seem to be too put out by the change of events, Miss Summers."



"It's kinda like living in a fairy tale house isn't it?" Buffy asked quietly. "I think its pretty and so far the only demon I've seen is you. Which in my book is a dramatic decrease."



"Maybe you need a holiday too." Spike suggested.



"Maybe I do." Buffy murmured.



***



Day Thirteen - Friday



***



The sun had just set beneath the hills when Spike awoke. He yawned and stretched out slightly before drawing the warm body in front of him closer still.



This had pretty much become their routine. They'd wake in the late morning, wrapped up in each other. She'd yell at him before they went down to have breakfast. His day consisted pretty much of working his way through the library since there was no television. While hers was spent out with the horses or lazing in the garden under the sun.



They'd meet for lunch around two in the afternoon and usually spend the remainder of the afternoon playing cards until Buffy got sick of Spike winning. A couple of hours to sunset, Spike would return to their room, the time of day catching up with the vampire, and sleep till sunset. More out of boredom then need, Buffy had taken to having siestas around the same time.



Spike looked down at the sleeping girl in his arms and silently sighed. He liked her far too much. And he liked having her, here, in his arms even more. Tonight was the night they would go into town and hopefully find a way back home. Spike wasn't even sure if he wanted a way back home. He meant what he'd said to the slayer the other day. Frankly, he was having way too much fun here.



*With her. *



"Hmmm....” Buffy yawned and turned in the arms holding her, rubbing her face into the coolness in front of her. She was already awake, Spike's movements having woken her, but she pretended to be asleep so she could enjoy the gentle embrace that she was so used to waking in.



Normally, she would get straight up but today was different. Tonight they were off to town to look for a way home. Most of her wanted to go home; the sensible part. However, an ever-increasing part wanted to stay just a little longer.



Anyway, she was still sleepy; surely it wasn't time to go yet?



And as red-hot pain shot to her temples and in between her brows that part took over her faculties entirely.



"You awake, pet?" Spike's soft voice broke Buffy into reality.



"Nuggh..."



Spike relinquished his hold on her as she sat up, pressing her cool fingers against her eyes; trying to recreate the same conditions her comfort levels were so attuned to.



"Pet?" Spike frowned when she just groaned softly, her hands against her face. His improved hearing picked up her heartbeat and the vampire was shocked at the speed at which it was beating.



"Are you okay?" She shook her head then groaned again as pain shot through her skull.



"Come here." With a gentleness she'd been slowly encountering with him, Spike carefully grasped her shoulders, easing them both back down to the pillows.



"Ugh! This really hurts...” Buffy whispered, her hands still clutching her head.



Spike carefully leant her against the crook of his shoulder, both hands coming around her to allow cool fingertips to gently massage her temples.



"Mmmm, that feels so good, Spike...” Buffy mumbled drowsily, half asleep.



The vampire watched as the slayer drifted asleep, his never-tiring hands continually massaging her head. She murmured something soft in her sleep, snuggling back into his chest and Spike sighed contentedly.



Suddenly he frowned, bringing one hand to her forehead. She felt hot. Well, she always felt hot to his touch but now her skin was burning up. Her heartbeat was slower in her slumber but her skin was of a sickly pallor and held a sheen of perspiration, indicating a fever.



Recalling the medical training he had undertaken in his youth, and the knowledge he had acquired over the centuries Spike concluded that if she had fever then she needed to be kept warm; sweat the fever out so-to-speak.



Dragging the heavier quilt that lay at the bottom of the bed over them both, cuddling her now shaking body close to his.



Two hours later the maid, Mabel, came to remind them that they were heading into town. Immediately seeing Buffy's illness brought another blanket and thick bed-socks to keep her feet warm. She told Spike that she would have the cook make up some chicken broth and that he was not to worry.



Before she left Spike reminded her of the party they were due to hold the following day.



Mabel had replied, "I'll get Tom to contact your guests and postpone the party due to Miss Elizabeth's illness. How long shall I tell him?"



"Make it in two weeks time. Give her time to recover." Spike had decided and with that the maid had left, leaving the vampire to nurse the sick slayer alone in 'their' bed.





A/N: Reviews make me happy, and when I get happy I write...and when I write, I update and you get happy! See where I'm going with this?