Part Five




"Look guys, can we finish this tomorrow? It's really late and we don't even know where we're going to stay." Buffy called a halt to the proceedings after several yawns had interrupted her flow of speech.



"Why can't you just go home and dead boy junior find some crypt to spend the night?" Xander asked, pointing an ingratiating thumb in Spike's general direction.



"Because Xander, it hasn't been my home for over a year and I'm not spending a night away from my husband." Buffy returned sharply, squeezing the hand around her waist.



"Buffy." Giles called a halt to the aggression. "If your mother knows where you are, you and Spike are welcome to spend the night here." He let this sink in before he continued. "Have you spoken to your mother?"



"We saw her before you, which is why we came so late. She understood. Which is more than I can say for the friends who should be used to all this."



"Buffy, please don't be mad with us. Its just, for us, you've been missing only four days. And this is a lot to take in, on faith." Willow said gently.



"I know this is a shock, and I'll gladly explain it all tomorrow; you can research the demon - look for where it sent us. But, I'm so tired right now....” Her eyes dropped to her lap, a silent tear falling from one of them.



"Right, that’s it." Spike picked Buffy up as he stood. "Watcher? You said we could stay here, where did you have in mind?"



"Hey wait a minute...” Xander cut in heatedly.



"Look, boy, I really don't give a fuck what you have to say but the slayer wanted you here. If you gave a damn about her you'd see how tired she is and leave the fuck off." Spike growled.



"Quite." Giles murmured. "I was thinking the spare room, it’s down that hall passed the bathroom. First door on the left."



Without another word Spike nodded and walked out of the room, the slayer in his arms.



"You know, I can't believe you're trusting this guy!"



"Xander! We have no idea where they have been or what has happened to them. One thing is for certain; they are no longer enemies and evidently Buffy has had to rely upon Spike and he upon her. Despite what we think we have no other option but to accept him. If you continue with your hampering you will only push her further away. Have I made myself clear?" Giles' eyes bore into the boy who nodded meekly.



"Very well. Willow, if it is not too much trouble do you think you could hunt around on the Internet for the demon Buffy described? I will look through my books, but there’s something unfamiliar about it that make me think I won't find it."



"Sure, Giles. I'll see you in the library, tomorrow?"



"Yes, goodnight all."



With a chorus' of goodbyes the gang left the watcher to his silent contemplation. In the background he could hear the vampire and his slayer talking. He sighed, picked up the voluminous book on time-travelling demons and slowly moved up the stairs to bed.



---



"Has everyone gone?" Buffy asked Spike when it all seemed to go quiet.



"Yeah, only the watcher and he's gone upstairs." He dropped the last article of clothing on to the chair near the bed and slid under the covers next to Buffy, pulling her body to his as he did.



"Thank god. I don't think I could have handled the looks any longer." Buffy sank back, snuggling against Spike's side; her head on his chest as he stroked her loose hair. She yawned, "What are we going to do tomorrow?"



"Well we can't live here, so we'll start on that."



"What do you mean?"



"I'll find us someplace to live." Spike murmured, kissing the top of her head.



"How? We don't have any money."



"Pet, I've got two hundred years worth of savings in the bank. I think the term that would best describe our finances is healthy."



"Really, how healthy?" Buffy murmured.



"I'm worth around twenty-seven million pounds. Which is about forty-three million dollars. Or something like that." Spike replied flippantly, not in the least bothered about his obvious wealth.



"You’re kidding." She sat up to look him in the eye. "You're serious?"



"Uh huh."



"Wow! I married a millionaire." She giggled, pressed a kiss to his side and closed her eyes in obvious relief, comforted by the fact that in that sense they were safe. After all it could only be counted as sheer luck that they had encountered upon a time where 'they' already existed and had many people ready to welcome them back 'home'.



---







"I don't get it Giles. If it all happened in a different dimension how can there be a modern marriage certificate. Look at the renewal date; it’s this year." Willow tapped the computer screen in front of her.



Giles rubbed his fingers against his forehead, glancing around the library. "Can you find out the original date? You said it had been renewed."



"Yeah, okay.... hold on one minute." Willow typed several keys and clicked enter. "Wow...June, 1871."



"My God, Buffy said the year they arrived was 1872, I believe, so for all intents and purposes they have been married nearly a hundred and thirty years." Giles blew out a stream of hot air and removed his glasses. "This is all very beguiling."



"I'll say!" Xander exclaimed as he entered the library. "I just saw Spike and the Buffster making out on your couch, G-man." He handed Giles the book the watcher had requested and slumped down next to Willow.



Giles replaced his cleaned glasses and made a face, "I did not need to know that." He muttered, leafing through the book in his hands. "Did they say when they would be coming down?"



"Right now." Buffy stated as she led Spike in from the stacks.



"Buffy? Did you get remarried while you were gone?" Willow asked, frowning.



"Yeah. Why?" Buffy responded, staring puzzled over at the Wicca as Spike pulled her down on top of him.



"I just found a copy of your marriage certificate. And its renewal is dated this year." Willow tapped the computer then turned the monitor around so that the vampire and slayer could see what she was seeing.



"I don't get it. How can it be this year when we were re-married in 1873?" Buffy asked.



"To be perfectly honest with you Buffy, I'm still not quite sure. We have yet to have found any information about the demons you could describe. It is impossible to discern how much longer it will take."



The library doors swung open and a green-haired werewolf walked in with a large book in his hand, "I found the demon."



"Apparently, not that long." Xander muttered, taking a big bite of one of the donuts he'd brought with him.





A/N: Please do review - it makes a girl's day! Just sign in, go to the top and press reviews! Or morbiddesiresbypassionfish@yahoo.com