Part Six





~~~ Day Thirty - At the party... ~~~









"Come now Elizabeth, are you and your delightful husband not to grace the floor with your presence?"



Buffy smiled at the elderly gentlemen and was about to answer when his wife, Virginia - *bloody stupid name* - who looked to be not much older than herself, sauntered up to him. She was wearing a dress that was so plastered on that even by today's standards it was verging on indecent.



"I love to dance." She stated, sending an obviously flirtatious smile to Spike unbothered that her husband might see.



Buffy scowled when she saw Spike return it, imagining sharp bits of wood meeting with squashy bits of Vampire. *Stupid hormone filled Vampire.*



"I know my dear." Mr. Carting patted her hand in sympathy. "I'm afraid I'm a little past the dancing age." He smiled gently at Buffy who forced her lips to turn up into a smile she certainly didn't feel.



"Perhaps Mr. Dartmoore could appease me." The voluptuous woman suggested, licking her rouged lips very, very slowly as she continued to stare hotly into Spike's eyes.



Spike didn't have to look at the Slayer to feel the jealousy radiating off her in waves. He smirked at the thought of the Slayer being so possessive! And of him!



"Gladly." He smiled at her; taking the hand the woman's husband gave him and led her to the dance floor.



Buffy silently fumed as she watched Spike wrap his arms around another woman. Some other man’s wife!



"Your husband is an excellent dancer, Elizabeth." Carting remarked, seemingly completely unaware of his wife’s obvious betrayal.



"Yes." Buffy replied tightly, not taking her furious eyes from the couple on the dance floor. She’d swear she growled when the woman ran her fingers down Spike's jacket, stroking their way from his body as the song ended.



"I was happy to find that your health has im-” He was cut off by his wife's presence.



"I feel a trifle...hot." The still un-known woman stated as they returned to a very pissed off Slayer and stupidly happy elderly man.



"Maybe you should go.... you know, get some fresh air." Buffy stated, loosing her fake olde English accent as her anger clouded her. If someone had stopped to ask her, she would have been unable to explain just why she was so angry.



"Maybe Mr. Dartmoore could accompany me...we were having the most interesting.... conversation." She ended slowly, letting Buffy know that they weren't talking.



Her husband seemed ever oblivious, "An excellent idea, my dear."



"Um...” Spike suddenly felt trapped, he looked to Buffy for help, but she just sent him a scowl. He'd only danced with the woman to see whether the jealousy he'd noted at dinner had been real or a figment of his imagination. "I...uh, yes!" He elated as he found an excuse. "I promised Buff-uh, Elizabeth that I would show her the Billiard Room - she has been anxious to learn how to play."



"Really?" Virginia questioned, haughtily looking down her nose at the prettier woman, "What a masculine sport to wish to delve into."



"Always preferred a game with a bit more...bite." Buffy stated glaring at the woman.



Spike was hard pressed not to laugh, "If you'll excuse us."



"Of course." Mr. Carting agreed amiably, smiling at them both.



"Enjoy your evening." Spike completed, taking Buffy's arm and leading her out of the room.



As soon as they were out into the quiet hallway Buffy pulled away from him violently stomping ahead in the direction of the Billiard Room, which their host had provided for them.



"Buffy, love...” Spike tried not to laugh, but it escaped his mouth as he spoke, only causing her to double her steps. "...wait up, pet!"



"Stupid, arrogant, egotistical, hormone-driven, pig of a Vampire." Buffy muttered as she slammed open the door to the poolroom, Spike quick on her heels.



Spike watched silently as with angry, jerky movements she arranged to the table for them to play, relieved at least that she was willing to play.



"Shall I break?" Spike asked, his voice as inoffensive as he could make it in deference to the obviously wildly pissed off Slayer.



He cringed as she sent the white ball spinning down the table at his words. It smashed into the other balls, sending them all flying in odd directions, but none entered a pocket.



"Do you want to play snooker or pool?" Spike asked, wisely not stating a preference, as he knew she would only choose the other just to spite him.



Again she didn't respond, but she lined up another ball and took the shot.



It bounced off the sides and zigzagged down the table, neatly avoiding any of the pockets.



"Hey! You didn't hit one in the first time so that was my go!" Spike whined, glaring at her, his good mood at her jealousy quickly dissipating at her lack of deference to the wonder that was pool (which he'd decided she was attempting to play as she was only aiming for all the colours except red).



"I'm the Slayer, I make the rules." Buffy stated, moving to line up another shot.



"No you don't!" Spike growled, darting around the table, trying to grab her cue.



Buffy jumped out of his reach, running around to the other side of the table, ""Why don't you go back to your ho, out there and let me finish my game in peace?!"



Spike's anger left as soon as it had arrived, "Jealous, love?"



"What?" Buffy screeched, her eyes blazing.



"I said, are you jealous?" Spike asked slowly, punctuating his deep words with a step closer to the shocked Slayer.



Buffy snorted and tried to laugh, but it came out cold and forced – which of course it was. "Jealousy? Of What? You and Miss. Ho of the century?"



"You're jealous...” Spike sang, grinning at her.



"I. Am. Not. Jealous." Buffy growled, glaring at him.



"Then why are you trying to bust all the balls?" Spike enquired with a grin that sent Buffy’s blood levels soaring. It only widened when he took in her flushed appearance and increased heart rate. There was a predatory glint in his eyes as he began to move closer to her – she didn’t notice, still lost in anger. The alcohol and lust in his blood, coupled with her reaction this evening was sending the few inhibitions he had left regarding the Slayer out of the window.



"I'll bust your balls." Buffy muttered to herself.



"Pardon, love?" Spike asked, unable to keep quiet, laughing as she blushed an attractive beet red.



"Oh, whatever. You said you'd teach me so teach me." Buffy finally snapped out of her jealous anger, for the first time noticing how close he was. He'd somehow lost his pool cue and had managed to get all the way round the table. She watched as he stepped closer to her, flattening her body against the side of the table without even touching her.



Buffy knew she was breathing hard, she couldn't stop, but she knew she really should. How wrong was this? He'd moved his arms either side of her, trapping her there.



"What would you like me to teach you, pet?" Spike was, gazing hotly down at her. His eyes darting between her wide owl-like eyes and her rouged pouting lips.



*Oh god, oh god, oh god, oh god...” The litany repeated through her head as she searched for something witty to say. Unfortunately all she could think about was the hard male body, which was slowly pressing into her.



His voice got even huskier, if that was at all possible, as he repeated his question, their lips almost touching, "Would you like me to teach you?"



It was a different question altogether, with life-shattering consequences and they both knew it, but they were helpless to do anything about it.



Buffy's previously tight grip on her pool cue broke, and the wood tumbled to the ground. The noise was enough to break her from her stupor and just before his lips touched hers she spoke, "Pool."



"Wha'?" Spike's addled brain attempted to catch up with the conversation. Had they been talking?



"Pool." Buffy reasserted; her voice stronger. Spike stood back a step as she stood up straight. "Teach me how to play pool."



"Um...” He cleared his throat as he tried to adjust his painful erection. "...Okay, pet."



Flushed, and still breathing hard Buffy nodded and retrieved her cue as Spike moved to put some distance between them.





---



Back in Sunnydale…





"Well...” Oz clarified, "I found the demon from a couple of days ago - you know the one that tried to burn Xander alive?"



There were a few moments of silence.



Buffy stared at the werewolf; she'd never heard him talk that much in one go.



Spike sighed and reached for a cigarette - it was gonna be a long night, but, eh, at least Xander almost got fried.



Xander paled at the reminder and Cordy rolled her eyes - they were all so lame.



Willow smiled encouragingly at her boyfriend as he passed her the book, which she gave to Giles.



"Well, that’s good right?" Willow asked, her voice peppy.



"Uh, yes.... excellent." Giles agreed, put out that they hadn't found the demon that had messed with his Slayer, but trying not to make the usually stoic young man embarrassed.



"Xander nearly got fried?" Buffy asked from her position on Spike's lap. The Vampire barely looked up as he continued to play with her hair, absently twirling the long, blonde strands around his pale fingers.



"Yeah, Buffy, you so should have been there it was all like 'Grrrrr' and I was all like-"



Cordy cut of Xander's explanation, "‘Ahhh’. He screamed like a girl." She stated to Buffy then looked to Giles, "So what, Blondie over there takes out the red demon while we keep researching?"



"Uh, actually...yes." Giles agreed and the whole room stared at Cordelia in shock.



The beauty Queen looked put out. "What? I can plan."



"Yeah, plan your way to the salon." Xander rejoined snidely, still smarting over her previous divulgence.



"At least I go to one. Who hacks your hair - a blind woodsman?



"So, how do I kill the demon?" Buffy asked, the group ignoring the still bickering couple.



"Uh...” Giles quickly scanned the page, "It would appear that you have to tear off its two horns simultaneously." He looked over to the silent guitarist. "Thank-you Oz, this is really quite helpful, I'd forgotten I had this text."



Willow beamed at her boyfriend.



"Wow, the Giles-meister missed a book, what are the chances?" Xander asked, pausing long enough in his 'conversation' with the cheerleader to make an input into the group talk before returning to his argument.



Giles glared at the back of Xander's head then moved his eyes to Buffy as she spoke, "Any idea where we find it?"



"It nearly flambéed Xander down near that angel statue." Willow said helpfully.



"Oooh, you mean that creepy one whose eyes follow you?"



Willow nodded, and curled up her nose. "That’d be the one…"



"Right, come on, love. Demon’s a-waiting!" Spike lifted Buffy off his lap and took her hand when he also stood.



"See you guys later." Buffy said as she and Spike started to leave.



"What? You're just gonna let her go alone? He's gonna kill her!" Everyone cringed at Xander’s outburst, but Buffy misunderstood.



"Relax, Xander, I have Spike with me." Buffy smiled at her honey.



"I meant Spike! Are all you people mad, the second she turns her back he's gonna turn on her like..."



The group waited expectantly. When nothing came and Xander turned bright red from lack of oxygen as he paused Buffy spoke up.



"Okay, Xander breathe and get over it. Spike's not gonna hurt me! He's my husband, for God's sake! We'll be back in a bit - hey, why don't you guys check out the Watcher's diary, what was his name, honey?"



"Ackerton...Jeffery, I think."



"Jeffery Ackerton?" Giles asked, shocked.



"Yeah, you know him?" Spike looked over at the tweed man.



"Well, he's quite renowned - a bit of a rogue Watcher, you might say. He was nearly killed for cavorting with a vamp-" Realisation hit Giles and he started. "Good Lord, that must be you!"



"See - Peroxide Boy brings no good."



"Oh grow up Xander!"



"Quite. This is really very...interesting." The group watched as Giles escaped into his own world and collectively shook their heads.



Buffy, quickly recognising that look in her watchers eye as one of research tried to make a hasty exit. "Ooookay! We're gonna go now! See ya later!" Buffy and Spike turned again to leave, the vamp giving her a thumbs up at her request, still pulling the Slayer out of the library.



"Bye, Buffy, Spike...ooh! Bring back donuts!" Willow called out as a last thought since it looked like they were going to be here a while.



"Hey! I thought I was donut-guy!" Xander cried, hurt.



"Oh, get over it!" Cordelia scowled at him.