Author's Chapter Notes:
Big thanks to BuffyRat and Sandy for their lovelie recent reviews :) This one's for you!

Updates will take a little pause, as I'm without internet access for a couple of weeks, but they should begin as soon as I return - so please do let me know what you think of the story in the mean time!
Part Nine





~~~ Day Thirty-One ~~~









Birds were singing, cooks were making breakfast and a late morning sun was shining in the sky. Today was a classic English morning, minus the cold...perfect for horse riding! At least, Buffy would have thought that was what was happening had it not been for the rather delicious position she now found herself in.



Spike's face was buried against her neck, his arms wrapped around her body. His body appeared to envelope hers; his embrace making her whole being tingle. His hands were under her rather modest nightgown, touching the soft skin of her thigh and lower back.



*Okay, now I know this wasn't how I fell asleep last night.* She mused, silently trying to figure a way out her current predicament. A task that was curiously trying as a good 99.9% of her being was quite content where it was thank-you very much!



Spike groaned in his sleep, his hands gliding a little bit further under her clothes.



For some reason the action reminded her of that two-bit hussy from last night, Virginia, and she scowled as she remembered Spike's flirtations with the other woman. *What is it with men? Flash 'em some minute breasts shoved up in a corset and suddenly they go all gaa-gaa!*



At this point Buffy obviously ignored the little voice in the back of her head that mentioned that woman's breasts were probably larger than hers but....damn it! That wasn't the point!



With a little growl, Buffy slapped at the hands on her body. "Spike, you leach, get off-"



"Sshhh...." A still-asleep Spike gently pressed his lips against hers. This silenced her!



For a second she closed her eyes, savouring the feel of his mouth on hers. However, the feeling was short-lived as Spike retracted his head once his task was completed, allowing his face to return to nuzzling her neck.



*Come on, Buff! This should be an easy one - just scream at him and kick his undead ass out of bed!* Buffy continued to argue with herself, not noticing the Vampire as he began to wake up.



The hand that rested on her leg moved slightly, his fingers ending up skimming the sensitive skin of her inside thigh. Buffy jumped, violently broken from her thoughts.



She let out a half moan, half scream in the shock of the tingles that travelled straight to her sex and she began to pray with her body that it would not betray her anymore than it already was. "Ahhh!"



"Buffy?" Spike's sleepy voice broke into the haze that had become Buffy's mind as she tried to form a coherent sentence.



"Sleep well?" He murmured, closing his eyes again. It was way too early for a good vamp to be awake!



"Uh...yeah, kinda.....ahhhh, do ya think you can um...you know - " Buffy muttered, averting her eyes from his.



"Oh." Spike seemed to notice for the first time how entwined their bodies were...but he didn't move away from her. He didn't want to move. This was what he had been dreaming about for weeks. Actually having the Slayer in his arms...without getting a major concussion! He wasn't gonna pass up this opportunity - he might not get another one....anyway, you only die twice...



Buffy's eyes widened as the now-very-much-awake Vampire's hands began to move and blue-green orbs shot up to meet azure ones. Excitement coursed through Buffy's body as his fingers skimmed her skin as his hands beginning to wrap around her waist. Spike's eyes seemed to darken in colour as the Slayer shivered once, her body reacting uncontrollably to his closeness.



"Spike?" Buffy breathed as the Vampire in question slowly leant in to her lips. Her tongue nervously escaped her mouth to moisten her lips and Spike growled low in his chest at the appearance of the pink organ, his mouth descending to cover hers.



CRASH!



Buffy and Spike jumped apart, moments before their lips would have met, at the sudden noise from downstairs.



"Bloody Hell!" Spike growled in shock, shooting up in bed as Buffy jumped from them bed, hastily wrapping herself in her robe.



Without a second look to the Vampire, who still lay prone on the bed, Buffy quickly left the room, quietly closing the door behind her.



"Fuck!" Spike muttered as the door clicked shut. With an overbearing sigh, Spike flopped back down on to the pillows.





---





Buffy sighed in relief as Spike finally left the Dining Room. Lunch had been...awkward, to say the least.



They had barely spoken a word to each other.



He'd....tried, she guessed. But, she was just so embarrassed.



How could she have reacted to him like that - they were mortal enemies for god's sake!



Okay, well maybe not exactly mortal enemies...



She knew they'd not been mortal enemies for a while now....and yeah, though she wouldn't admit it to anyone; they had become friends.



Last night...it felt like all the lines had been blurred for a second but then bang, like that they were back to their easy bantering with the entrance of that bloke....James, John..."Jack!" Buffy murmured triumphantly.



But this morning, it had been different - like every morning she'd woken up wrapped in his arms, but this morning she just...she just couldn't bare to have his arms leave her. The last month she'd grown to depend on him so much...he was all she had in this crazy time leap.



Everything here was backwards - nothing was like the life she knew. Here if she wanted a light after dark it was candles all the way - far too much moonlighting! There was no technology. No TV, no Chinese food, no music. No Mom. No girly chats with Willow at midnight. No stupid Xander jokes. No Giles being all repremandy.



No demons...except Spike. No schoolwork. No angsty feelings...well, except those that all the Spike-appreciation had brought!



But...there was tranquillity.



And though it may seem like the most ridiculous thing in the world to want....peace was something her life had seriously lacked these past few years.



Some girls dreamed of wild nights out and parties till sunrise.



She dreamed of lazy afternoons in the sun. Quiet idyllic scenery passing her by without having a care in the world.



Without having the world's weight on her shoulders....literally.



And here...in this crazy dimension she'd found it.



Her major Sunnyhell life deficit.



Peace.



*With my mortal enemy.* She rolled her eyes at that thought.



*Wow, Buff, major reflection-time, huh?* It was at times like these that she really missed her diary! She bet it was all lonely without her! She'd been really good this year, writing in it every day. Last year the habit had kinda fizzled out around the time of Angelus. But this year she had been "making with the resolutions" as Xander has said, and had promised herself that every day she would write something in it...even if it killed her.



*Pity I don't have it here - definitely have some pretty full pages by now.*



"Oh, thought! Diary!" She muttered to herself as she pushed away her still half-full plate, heading off into the hallway to find Mabel.





---





Spike shifted uncomfortably in his seat, for the first time feeling the restraints of the clothes of the time. How he longed for his old jeans and t-shirt!



With a sigh, he angrily flipped the page, absently scanning it as his thoughts raced at a million miles a minute.



He was completely at odds with himself.



Okay, so maybe he shouldn't have tried to kiss her. Hell, even he knew that was crazy! Vampire, Slayer...hello?!



But he really had wanted to kiss her...fuck, he still wanted to kiss her! And a lot more besides but....



She'd been distant all morning. After she'd scurried out of the room like her knickers were on fire he'd dressed and quickly followed, finding her in the Dining Room.



He'd tried to make conversation - act like everything was normal. Like nothing had happened...



*Bloody HELL! Everything is normal, you git! You didn't do anything!*



Spike shook his head trying to clear out that voice - and the other one. Both fuckers were annoying, he decided.



So he wanted to kiss the chit. Big deal. The Slayer's hot. It was as simple as that. Not like they were gonna get married.



Because they were already married.



He mentally rolled his eyes. "Fuck, its not really us...get it straight, wanker..." He muttered to himself, angrily flipping another page his eyes moving across it though none of the words registered in his head as the internal battle raged on.



But it could have been them.



Say they were in a different dimension.



All it meant was that in different circumstances they could have been together. In these circumstances.



I.E. The circumstances they were in now.



They could be together here.



And, why not? Surely they both deserved a bit of happiness, right? After Dru and Angelus.



Without his notice Spike's true face flickered forward for a moment at the mention of his Grandsire.



The change, however, seemed to ground him.



"That's it mate, time for a nap..." Spike slammed the book shut and placed it on the table beside him, levering himself from the chair. "Lack of sleep's making you go batty..."



Continuing to mutter to himself about the results of sleep-deprivation, the Vampire moved upstairs to their bedroom for a nap.



The bedroom he shared with her.



And their bed.





---





Not twenty minutes later the Vampire was rather rudely woken from a verrrry interesting dream involving him, Buffy, the hills they'd found themselves dumped on the month before and a bowl full of whipped cream.



The bed shifted violently under the weight of a bouncing Slayer and the Vampire groaned as Buffy's squeaky voice assaulted his ears, "Jackpot!"



"Gggrughnuhgh!" Spike muttered unintelligibly and Buffy poked him, her earlier discomfort gone at her find.



"Spike! Wake up! Look what I found!"



Spike sleepily raised his head, his eyes blearily focusing on the blonde in front of him. "Whassat?" He slurred, wanting to move as little as possible so that when she left he could hopefully return to his dream.



"I found my diary!" Buffy held it up like it was gold.



"That’s great, love..." Spike flopped over, burying his face in a soft pillow...silently wishing it was a soft blonde instead.



"Don't you get it?" Buffy asked, poking him again. "I write everything down in my diary."



"Sugh?" Spike grunted what sounded like, 'so?' to Buffy's ears.



"Sooo....if we're in another dimension or time or whatever, I'd still be me right? I mean fundamentally?"



"Big word..."



Buffy scowled at the lump and poked him again. He growled. "So fundamental-me would have kept a diary - which she did - and she would have wrote everything down in it! If her 'Spike' was a vamp too, then she might have kept something about a Watcher in here!"



He lifted his head to her. "Did she?" Spike's interest was mildly peaked by this turn of events...and the sudden expansion of the slayers vocabulary.



Buffy frowned and the smile dipped off her face, "I don't know. I haven't read it, yet."



"Bloody hell..." Spike muttered under his non-existent breath. "Wake me when you've got something..."



Buffy scowled as the lump in the bed once again flopped under the covers. Then, she opened the book.



The Diary of Elizabeth Anne Summers





---





Back in Sunnydale....







Giles double-checked his bags; making sure he hadn't forgotten anything as the tannoy overhead announced that his flight would be departing soon and that all passengers should make their way to the boarding terminal.



In his head, Giles did a quick inventory of his belongings;



Clothes...check.

Shaving equipment....check.

Sterling.....check.

Passport....check.

Double-edged axe....check.

Ties...check.

Spare glasses...check.

Travel sickness tablets...."Damn!"



With a glance to the ever-increasing queue at the boarding desk, Giles quickly took off in the direction of the airport pharmacy.




TBC.... Really soon :) PS: reviews make me smile :)