Four Hundred Days


Part Two







They walked for nearly two hours in silence, coming ever closer to the large stately home they could see on the horizon.



"Miss Elizabeth!" A plump, kindly looking woman rushed from the house as Spike carried Buffy down the large gravel driveway.



"Elizabeth?" Spike drawled at the look on Buffy's face.



"Oh, shut up!" Buffy hissed back just as the woman greeted them.



"Oh, my dear, what have you done?"



"I, uh..."



"Mr. Dartmoore, sir, if you could be so kind as to take her to your room I'll get the doctor." The woman flushed, evidently embarrassed. "I'm afraid Tom's back was playing up earlier and I sent him to lie down. I'll call Jane."



Before either could speak the woman rushed away, moments later a younger woman emerged from the house. Without a word she opened the door for them, her head meekly bowed.



"William...Dartmoore?" Buffy asked with a giggle



"Shut up!" Spike growled.



As soon as they had passed she rushed up the stairs to open the proceeding doors they had to pass through to get to 'the bedroom'.



"Way wiggy." Buffy whispered, looking over Spike's shoulder to see what appeared to be another servant moving across the hall, carrying a tray of tea.



"Bloody Hell!" Spike murmured and Buffy turned her head back to gaze in astonishment at the beautiful room. It was four times the size of her room in Sunnydale. In the centre of which was a kingsize four-poster bed. Cream linin drapes hung from the beams in sweaps and swirls. The rest of the room was similarry decorated with oak furnature.



However, the beauty of the room was not what had caught Spike's attention. On the far wall, opposite the bed was a picture of two people most obviously in love. The artist had managed to capture every nuance of their individual features and from every pore of the painting, happiness and love was exuded.



On a golden plack beneath the picture was etched;



"To my dearest friends, Elizabeth and William, may I only hope to find a love half as strong as yours ~ Edward."



"Huh!" Buffy murmured before she was laid down on the bed.



Before Spike let go of her he murmured into her ear, "Here, love, play up the concussion memory loss thing till we know where we are."



"Ah, my dear Mrs. Dartmoore what have you done this time?" The old man you stood in the doorway had a pleasent face and a warm smile that instantly made Buffy relax.



Remebering what Spike had said she put on a suitable frown, and asked, quite truthfully perplexed, "Who are you?"



At the plump woman's gasp, the Doctor smiled softly, "My name is Benjamin Harker. Doctor Harker. Did you hit you're head when you fell?" He asked Buffy but looked at Spike.



"Yes, she did." Spike answered, "I think she's twisted her ankle. She knows who I am, but she can't seem to remember much else."



Dr. Harker smiled indulgently again, "Don't worry Elizabeth, you are always having your little tumbles, although usually you remember more than your husband. No fear, you'll be as right as rain in a few days." He let go of her foot and it was the first time Buffy realised that he had been wrapping it up in a bandage.



"Your name is Elizabeth Dartmoore, you are eighteen years of age, you live here at Heartfield House with your husband William. William, is twenty-four and has just finished studying to be a doctor. You remember William has a sun allergy?"



"Yes." Buffy smiled ruefully. "Didn't forget that."



"Good." They watched as they maid secured the drapes across the window.



"My parents?" Joyce flashed into her mind along with the sorrow-ful possibility of never seeing her again but she pushed it away.



The Doctor's voice lowered and he took her hand in his, "Your parents died four years ago, Lizzy. Mabel looked after you, she is now your maid, do you remember?"



"A little, thank you." Buffy smiled.



"Not to worry." He looked up at Spike as he straightened. "Everything should be alright in a day or so. Keep that foot rested, I'll have Mabel bring you up your meals."



"Thank you, Doctor." Spike moved as though instinctively to see him out.



"Not to worry, I'll let you stay with the invalid." With another smile both he and the nurse left, closing the door behind them.



Buffy sat up in bed as Spike perched on the other end, "Bloody Hell."



"Okay, so lets knock it down." Buffy decided. "In this time or this world we exist but not as vampire and slayer. But you, or 'William' has a sun allergy."



"Well, at least you won't have to explain why I'm missing and there's a big pile of dust in your bed come morning."



"Does that mean our couterparts are in our world or are they likely to turn up here?" Buffy asked, ignoring him.



"Don't know, don't care." Spike yawned and kicked off his shoes. He stretched out next to Buffy on the bed, his eyes closed.



"Hey! Go find your own bed!" She prodded him. "This is my bed!"



"This is our bed, pet!" He grinned at her sleepily, the time of day catching up on him. "Don't worry you're pretty little head, I'm not going to eat you. Truce, remember?"



"Okay...but keep to your side." She muttered, gratefull that the nurse had already dressed her for bed and that she was all covered up considering how revealing her 'night dress' was.



Spike shrugged out of his jacket and removed the belt from his trowsers. Since he couldn't feel any underpants he figured he'd sleep in his trowsers and removed his shirt before slipping under the covers.



He closed his eyes, his superior awareness picking up the slayers scent, heart beat and breathing. He could feel the heat radiating off her and had an inexplicable erge to hold her. Putting it down to simply the novelty of having a warm body, Spike closed his eyes allowing sleep to claim him.



***



Day Two



***



Buffy awoke the next day feeling much refreshed. Her ankle was no longer throbbing and she experimentally moved it without pain. Her eyes opened languidly, her body far too secure and comfortable in its current position to move. Her eyes locked on the carriage clock on the bedside and she sighed at the time, two o'clock.



Deciding she really should get up and begin to try to find a way home Buffy tried to get up. She couldn't move. The slayer realised with a gasp that far from being wrapped in covers she was wrapped in Spike's arms.



She shock all over and tried to tug herself away but the arms around her tightened and Spike groaned, "Oh, stay still, pet."



"Spike!" Buffy hissed, her face red with embarrasment. "Let go!"



"Come on, ducks, you're like a hot water bottle." Spike murmured, not fully awake. "All soft and warm..." His hands slid down her side and then up her thighs, resting around her stomach, hands splayed out with his fingertips rubbing small circles against the silk of her night dress as if to prove the point.



His face was burried in the base of her neck and she jumped as he nipped the skin there with blunt teeth.



There was a knock at the door and both jumped slightly, though Spike didn't relinquish his hold on Buffy. The door opened a crack and then fully. Mabel, the head maid, walked in carrying a large breakfast tray.



"Good afternoon, Miss Elizabeth, Mr Dartmoore. I thought you might like a spot of lunch, but Doctor Harker said that you were both to rest after the long night so I didn't wake you." She looked at them almost timidly as she placed the tray on the end of the bed. From this angle they could now see that there were two trays that could be disattached from the bottom, both complete with empty plates.



"Thankyou, Mabel. Um, we can do this." Buffy said, smiling kindly.



"Very good, madam, sir." With that the maid left them, closing the door behind her.



"Well..." Spike began.



Buffy wriggled in his grasp, "Spike! Let go of me!"



His arms tightened for a moment then released her entirely as he sat up, reaching for the tray. He pulled it closer and Buffy gasped at the food.



There were two large pitchers, one of orange juice, the other of a strangly deep red colour and three glasses. There was steaming coffee with cream and sugar. The food consisted of roast chicked and beef, potatoes; both mashed and roasted, and various vegetables. There was also a selection of fruits, including various summer berries.



Stunned, Buffy took the glass of orange juice Spike handed to her then watched him pour the red stuff into a second glass.



"Okay, is that what I think it is?" She asked, too hungry to be bothered if it was as she began spooning out stuff onto her plate.



"Blood, pet. Warm and human as well." He grinned at her. "Think we're missing a maid?"



"This isn't funny!" Buffy giggled none the less. Putting her plate on one of the smaller trays she sat back against the pillows.



Between them the food was quickly demolished and Buffy collapsed back to the pillows with a sigh, burrowing her head in them.



"You know, I don't think I've ever been this relaxed." She breathed and Spike chuckled. "Which is weird since I'm in a different time, in a different country, in a strange house, in bed with my mortal enemy." When Spike chuckled again she blushed. "Well, not in bed but...you get the idea."



"Yeah, pet." He lay back, propping himself up on one hand so that he could still see her amongst the pillows. "How about we stay put for a couple of days. I heard one of the maids saying they're going to town next Friday, preparing for a party on Saturday."



Buffy's ears perked up. "A party? Where?"



"How the fuck should I know, slayer!" Spike exasperated. "The point is we can get someone to take us with them and then find someone to take us home."



"How are we going to find someone? We don't know where we are." Buffy asked.



Spike's face rippled to that of the demon inside him, "Pet, I'm over two hundred years old." His face morphed back. "Most of that time I spent in England, I know every town inside out."



She yawned. "Okay, good, so you can be tour guide." Buffy burrowed her face back into the pillow and closed her eyes, "Gonna sleep, now, 'kay?"



Spike smiled, "Okay, pet."





Part Three.....soon!