Author's Chapter Notes:
So, I was wondering if you like the two-part chapter system, so when the second one gets posted, let me know what you think by email! Thank guys!
Chapter 12 Part 1

The four of them stood outside the door, each waiting to see who would grab the handle first.

They had watched the two by surveillance camera, rip out their chains from the wall, and then cuddle each other in comfort. That was the very thing they wanted to avoid, but there had been no choice. Willow could only get one room hooked back into the security system at the Initiative, and that was it. Unfortunately, their plan was falling through, and they had to get in there and separate them before it got worse.

“I’ll go,” said Riley, the ever-present hero, “I can handle them.” He reached for the handle and increased the grip on the tranquilizer gun, as it swung open.

No one was in the room.

Rile walked in checking behind the door and under the beds. Nothing. Giles walked in. “Where the bloody hell could they have gone?” He ripped the blankets and sheets off the bed, tossing them on the floor.

Xander and Willow walked in cautiously, not wanting to trust Buffy; they knew how conniving she could be. “I think they broke out,” Xander started. “I don’t know how, unless Buffy conjured up a magic key, and whisked them out of here before we got out of the control room. We are so dead.” He stared at the inside door handle, inspecting it for damage. There wasn’t any.

No one looked up.

Suddenly, they all heard feet hitting the floor with bits of drop ceiling tile, and turned around. Buffy in front, Spike in back glared at them, chests heaving, covered in fine dust. “Yep. I think you really fucked up this one, Whelp.” Spike shook his arms out, preparing for the fight.

“You can’t hurt us, Undead Wonder. Your chip’ll go off.” He looked at Willow, who was looking queasier by the second. “Can he?”

Buffy stood up a little straighter and walked to about two feet from her friends. “Doesn’t matter, Xander. I can.” She punched him in the face bringing him down, flat on his face. Pulling a roundhouse kick, she took out Riley, knocking him in his face and into the far wall, by the headboards of the beds. Giles ran up to brace her and she threw an uppercut into his stomach, sending him flying into Riley, who was just getting up. Riley lifted his head and looked at her in pain. She flipped him off and mouthed FUCK YOU.

That done, she grabbed Willow by the arm and drug her out into the hall, where she was slammed into the hard, cold wall. Sticking her hand under her ribcage to put pressure on Willow’s lungs and wrapping a chain around her neck, she snarled, “You have messed up big time, Will. You could have come to talk to me, but instead, I get betrayed by my best friends. Can you not see the bad in that?” She shook her by the shoulders, causing Willow to whimper. “If any one of you come after me, I will kill you. I will kill you and then feed you to some bottom feeder demons and never tell anyone what happened to you. Are we clear?” Willow nodded and started to cry in earnest.

In a weak, scared voice, she said, “Buffy, I’m so--.”

“Save it! This is your get out of jail free card Will, and you better use it wisely.” She turned and followed Spike through the myriad of halls out of the destroyed complex that was once the Initiative.


Riley stood next to the window to the kitchen in Giles’ apartment. In front of him was the book they had found the prophecy regarding Buffy and the ‘life eater’. The funny thing about it was, he had a nagging feeling something was different about it from this morning when they all took a look at it. It seemed fine, and for the most part, everything seemed in order; all the steps outlined and in place. He reread the first few lines once more and played with the brace on his nose.

Following the detoxification of the Chosen one, there must a failing in the relationship between her and the pet. To do this, one must capture them in their natural habitat and administer the Christenfeld antidote, in haste. The aftereffects will change their environment, but in no way may this matter, for the fornication between these two shall resemble bestiality, deemed reprehensible by God. (See page 988)

Giles came over and set the pile of various texts on the counter. Riley looked up and gave him a small smile. “Did Willow get the wards up yet?”

Grabbing his handkerchief and removing his glasses to clean them, he said, “Yes. I told her it was necessary to get them up before nightfall. We have no idea what they’re going to do, and it will help it we have them in place as soon as possible. She and Xander were going to go to his house after to wait it out there, and I agreed it was best for them both, considering the circumstances.”

Riley handed the book over to Giles and pointed out the last passage. “Are you sure this is for real? I mean ‘change their environment’? What does it all mean? And where is this friend who gave you this information; what was his name again?”

“He’s out of the country, I’m afraid, and his name is Ethan. Ethan Rayne.” He sat down at his worktable to read the information following that passage. “ ‘And the life-eater will posses all we hold dear for a moment, bringing the child with his spendings. It is the one who brings the End and with it all the evil ever known.’ Oh, I can’t read it anymore. Here.” He shoved the book back to Riley. “Let’s gather the last few ingredients for the antidote, and get moving.”

“You’re right, we don’t have much time before dawn.” He grabbed a black duffel bag that sat on the floor, and rifled through it, squaring away its ingredients.


Water sluiced down his body as he washed himself. The places on his body where the manacles were, were raw and open. The bleeding had stopped a little while before, so he thought a shower would be just the thing to fix him right up. That and a pint of blood, courtesy of Buffy. Smokes too, also thanks to Buffy. Alcohol was out of the question, also thanks to Buffy. He slammed his head on the concrete wall of the sewer and watched blood trickle from his hairline. What the hell was he doing? She smiles and he flops wherever he is into a pool of goo, ready to do whatever it is that Little Miss Slayer wants done. He wiped the water from his eyes and turned when he thought he heard a noise. A smirk came upon his lips as he leaned down and grabbed the clothes he had brought, lying a few feet away. They were casually tossed down the other way, farther into the sewer. He shook some of the water out of his hair and started back.

Show you, pet, he thought. Just you wait.


Buffy was curled up in his bed, looking at a map of the sewer systems in Sunnydale. Her hair was damp, having just only showered herself, and the t-shirt Spike had loaned her was wet everywhere. All his towels were dirty and he had no time to dry them out or wash them (as he was known to do from time to time). The highlighter she was biting on was leaking onto the sheets, she noticed. “Shit! My mouth.” She put the cap on and threw it in the small trashcan next to the bed. Grabbing her bag, she got out the compact and looked at herself. “Damn.” There was blue highlighter all over her mouth, on her tongue, and a drop or two on her chin. Great job Buffy!

She got up with a washcloth; intent on using the water they showered with to clean up. She forgot one thing. Spike was still washing up, and still very naked. She caught a glimpse of his backside and gasped as she turned to walk back. Quickly.

The bed was her closest place to go if he had heard her, so she went there and dug under the covers and feigned sleep. Why do I keep dragging myself into these situations, she thought to herself.

The light in the caves darkened with shadow and she knew he had seen her. She closed her eyes and waited.