Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone who read and reviewed chapter 2- I'm happy people liked it! I noticed there was a bit of a drop-off in reviews, so was it not good? If I get enough inspiration, I'll post chapter 4 sometime this weekend. Leave a review, and I suddenly might be very inspired:) Have a good weekend!
“So, what brings you here?” Spike asked as he shook Buffy’s hand, delighting in the fact that her hand fit perfectly in his before mentally reprimanding himself.

‘What’re you thinking, mate?’ he asked himself. ‘She’s definitely the enemy, and you’re happily engaged.’ He paused, frowning at the thought. ‘Well, at least you think you are.’

“You came to my shop to sample stuff, so I thought I’d try what you’ve got, too,” she said neutrally. “I think that’s fair, don’t you?”

“Of course,” he said after hesitating for a long moment. “I’ll see to it that everything meets your level of expectation.”

“You don’t need to impress me,” she replied, and he raised an eyebrow.

“If anyone needs to impress someone, it’s you,” he said, noticing how quickly her jaw dropped. “You’re new to this business, so let me give you a few pointers.”

“I don’t think I want to hear anything you have to tell me,” she said sharply. “I came here to eat, and that’s all I want to do.”

“Fine,” Spike said, holding back a smirk at her irritation. “What will it be?”

“I think I’d rather talk to Fred than you,” she said, seeing the brunette waitress heading in their direction. “It was nice to finally meet you, Spike, and I’ll be seeing you very soon.”

“Yes, you will,” he said, smiling. “When I kick your ass at the competition.”

“Whatever you say,” she replied firmly. “But all of that cockiness just proves how insecure you really are about your talents. If you’re that good, you wouldn’t be worried about little old me.” He leaned over the table, his face only inches from hers.

“I’m very good at what I do,” he said in a low tone, which sent a shiver down her spine. “But it’s too bad you’ll never experience what I have to offer.”

“Good,” she managed to get out, and he stood up straight once again, turning his attention to Willow and Oz.

“Enjoy your meals,” he said in a calm tone. “And if you ever return, don’t bring blondie here back.” He turned and walked away, never seeing the outraged look on Buffy’s face.

“Well, he seems like an interesting guy,” Oz said, and Buffy stared at him. “What?”

“I don’t need this,” she answered, standing up. “Have a nice night, you two.” She stormed off and left the restaurant, not noticing that Spike’s eyes followed her until she was out of sight.

* * * * *

“You know, guys really suck,” Buffy said as she scooped a spoonful of ice cream out of its tub and ate it. “Don’t ever fall in love- it’s not worth it.”

“Why are you so mopey?” her sister Dawn asked. “Bad day at work?”

“Satan entered my life,” Buffy mumbled, eating another scoop of ice cream. “In the form of Spike Brooks.”

“You saw him?” Dawn asked, and Buffy nodded, scowling. “What happened?”

“He came to Joyce’s today and asked for samples, which Anya and Willow gave him, not knowing who he was,” she began to explain, stabbing at the ice cream still in the carton. “So I went to Chantarelle’s tonight, thinking it would be fair to see what his restaurant is like, and he… came to the table Willow, Oz, and I were at.”

“So you talked to him?” Dawn asked, and Buffy nodded again. “How’d that go?”

“Ridiculously bad,” she answered. “He’s a jerk, Dawnie, and I can’t wait to win and prove to him that I’m better than everyone thinks I am.”

“He’s just worried that he’ll lose to a woman,” Dawn said, sighing. “Don’t get upset over it. It’s a Friday night- go out and enjoy yourself.”

“I’m fine,” Buffy said, noticing that there was very little ice cream left. “Damn it.”

“Come on, let’s go,” Dawn said, grabbing her sister’s arm and pulling her up to stand. “Let’s have a night on the town, just you and I. It’ll be like sister bonding time.”

“Can we get more ice cream?” Buffy asked with a twinge of hopefulness in her tone.

“Whatever you want,” Dawn said, ushering her sister to the apartment’s door. “But just remember- it’ll go straight to your hips.”

“Bite me,” Buffy muttered, shaking her head when her sister giggled beside her.

* * * * *

“Stupid bloody bint,” Spike said as he locked up the restaurant later that night, Xander standing next to him. “She should learn to have a little respect for me.”

“Can you blame her?” Xander asked, and Spike looked at him, confused. “You infiltrated her pastry shop to find out stuff about her.”

“‘Infiltrated’? It wasn’t Mission Impossible!” Spike said loudly, angry. “Where does she get off coming in tonight to eat?”

“Where do you get off going to her store this afternoon?” Xander asked, not understanding why his friend was so upset.

“It’s just not right!” Spike shouted, taking a deep breath to calm down. “She’s a pain my ass already, and the competition hasn’t even started.”

“Well, competition is a healthy thing,” Xander said, walking with Spike to their cars. “And it doesn’t help she’s beautiful.” Spike looked at him, surprised. “I saw that Willow girl come in and put two and two together.”

“She’s not beautiful,” Spike said, and Xander stopped walking, crossing his arms with a knowing smirk on his face. “Fine, she’s absolutely magnificent.”

“Watch what you say, buddy,” Xander said, patting Spike’s shoulder. “You’ve got a pretty hot fiancé waiting for you.”

“She’s not at my apartment,” Spike replied, looking down. “She said she wanted to stay home tonight.”

“Why do you seem so sad about that?” Xander asked. “I would’ve thought you’d enjoy having a night away from the soon-to-be ball and chain.”

“I think something’s going on with her,” Spike said quietly. “She’s been acting really weird lately, and every time I mention the wedding, she gets this look on her face that doesn’t make me too happy.”

“I wouldn’t worry,” Xander said, shrugging. “She’s probably just nervous.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Spike said, sighing and unlocking his car, which was parked beside Xander’s. “Have a good night.”

“You too, man,” Xander replied, getting in his car and watching as Spike sped off into the night, knowing damn well that Lily wasn’t nervous, like he had told Spike.

‘She’s lying to him,’ Xander thought, starting his car. ‘And as soon as I have good evidence, I’m throwing the book at her.’