Author's Chapter Notes:
The responses to this fic have been awesome so far, so as long as people still want more chapters, you'll be getting them on a daily basis as a perk;) There will be a twist thrown into the next chapter, so hopefully you'll stick with me to see what it is. Thank you for all of the reviews, everyone!
Chapter 8- Until Further Notice

Buffy found herself sitting on Spike’s couch half an hour later, watching him take a couple of aspirins before drinking a whole glass of water.

“Thanks,” he said quietly, sitting on a chair across from her and resting his head against the back of it. “Today has been the worst day of my entire life.”

“For some reason, I don’t think losing to me is the reason you got plastered,” she replied, studying him. “And if it is, you’re being a bit overdramatic.”

“My fiancé left me,” he said, ignoring what she had said. “For a bartender at my restaurant.” He watched as her face fell, looking apologetic.

“I’m so sorry,” she said. “I can’t imagine how heartbreaking that must be.”

“Now you know why I was trying to drown myself in beer,” he replied, looking up at the ceiling. “She was the world to me.” He paused. “For a while, at least.”

“How did you meet her?” she asked curiously, surprised when he smiled.

“I had applied to work as head chef at Chantarelle’s, which originally was her father’s place,” he said. “I got the job, met her, and fell in love.”

“When did you buy the place from her dad?” she asked, trying to keep him engaged in conversation.

“Couple years ago,” he said, shrugging. “He wanted to retire and figured I’d be a good person to replace him.” He grinned at the memories that flooded his brain. “We got insanely drunk one night, and he only requested that I pay him one dollar.” She raised an eyebrow. “He said that he thought he owed me more for taking his daughter off of his hands.”

“Doesn’t sound like too nice of a guy,” she replied.

“No, he isn’t,” he agreed. “A right bastard, actually. Everyone in that family is cruel and heartless.” He looked at her. “But here I am, talking to the enemy like she’s my bloody therapist.”

“I offered my services before- might as well use them,” she said, clasping her hands on her lap.

“Sick of talking about me,” he replied. “Your turn.” She quirked an eyebrow. “Why’d you become a pastry chef?”

“My mom taught me how to make a lot of cakes and cookies when I was a kid,” she said, smiling. “It always interested me, so I decided it would probably be the best career choice I could make. I went to culinary school, graduated at the top of my class, and bought the shop.”

“Is it named after your mum?” he asked, and she nodded. “That’s nice of you.”

“Well, I owed it to her,” she said, looking down. “It opened a week before she died.” He frowned. “A brain aneurysm.”

“I’m sorry,” he said genuinely, and she nodded, not willing to look at him, more fixated on her hands. “You’re a brave girl to open a shop like that fresh out of culinary school.” She raised her eyes to his, surprised by the compliment. “Not a lot of people your age could’ve done something like that.”

“You act as if you’re so much older than me,” she said, smirking. “You’re what, 30?”

“Twenty-eight, thank you very much,” he replied sharply before pausing. “Do I really look thirty to you?”

“It was just an estimate,” she said, shrugging. “For all I know, you could be forty or fifty- you just look young.”

“I don’t know if I should be insulted by that or not,” he said, standing up. “Would probably help if the room wasn’t spinning.” She got up and walked over to him, grabbing his arm gently. “What’re you doing?”

“Making sure you make it to your room and don’t pass out midway,” she answered.

“I usually don’t take girls to my room until the third date,” he joked, happy when she giggled beside him. “But I’m willing to make an exception this once.”

“Great, you’re a perverted drunk,” she said, leading him down a hallway and looking around before locating his bedroom.

“No, just quite horny,” he said, stumbling into his room and flopping onto his bed. “Feel like a little rough and tumble, pet?”

“The next time I see you, I’ll be reminding you of this,” she said, smirking at him. “Just a warning.”

“Idle threat, kitten,” he replied, yawning. “Fine, I’ll be a good little lad and nod off.”

“Good,” she said, watching him get under his blankets. “Not going to change into something comfortable?”

“I figured I’d wait until you left to strip down,” he said, looking at her. “I usually sleep naked, ducks.” She felt her cheeks blushing. “But if you want to see what I’ve got, I’ll gladly show you.”

“No thanks,” she said quickly, walking away from his room and ignoring the loud chuckling she heard as she left the apartment.

* * * * *

The next morning, Buffy went to the front display case in Joyce’s Pastry Shop and grabbed half a dozen jelly-filled cookies, along with a few peanut butter and chocolate chip ones. Willow watched her friend curiously as she put them in a little plastic bag and tied them off with ribbon.

“Those for a special someone?” she asked, causing Buffy to jump slightly in surprise. “Didn’t mean to scare you, sorry. I let myself in through the back. Anya’s taking the day off- she’s spending the day with Xander, a man who needs his wounds licked.”

“Alright,” Buffy said, shrugging. “We don’t need to be open that long today. I think we both could use a break.” Willow raised an eyebrow, not used to Buffy being so carefree and flexible with their hours. “Do you mind if I go across town for a few minutes?”

“To deliver those to Spike?” Willow asked, smirking when Buffy’s jaw dropped. “I know you’re starting to like him, even though he’s technically your nemesis.”

“Is it that obvious?” the blonde asked, smiling when Willow nodded vigorously. “Fine. Yes, I’m going to give these to Spike. Have a problem with that?”

“No,” Willow said. “Just want to see you be happy.” Buffy smiled at her before grabbing her car keys and leaving.

‘And if he hurts her, I’ll beat him to death with a shovel,’ the redhead thought to herself.

Buffy got in her car and drove to Chantarelle’s, parking in front of the building and going to the front door. She paused when she noticed that it was completely dark inside before looking at a sign that had been taped to the door.

Closed Until Further Notice

“Uh oh,” she said quietly, staring at it in shock.