Author's Chapter Notes:
My first story, here goes........
She was running, she could hear the slapping of her boots as they pounded on the pavement. The burning in her lungs was almost too much to bare, she could hear it, feel it gaining closer. She could hear the crackling of lightening but there wasn't any flash. She knew she was in danger, knew this was it and all she could think of was, not her mom, friends, or even her boyfriend Joe, but of failing. She knew if whatever was chasing her were to catch her, she would fail and that failure would have dire consequences. She knew she had to keep running even though her sides were cramping and her calf muscles were nearly numb. She was about to turn a sharp left when she was grabbed from behind and heard a male whisper rasply in her ear,
"La sangre del que no debe ser". She never took Spanish and yet she understood it to mean, the blood of the one that should not be. The mysterious man shoved her hard where she fell unconcious.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy awoke with a start. The dream fresh in her mind, the same dream she'd been having for weeks now. She realized she was on the floor beside her bed, 'probably fell off' she thought to herself. She stood up and looked at the clock, it was quarter past six and she was going to be late for school, as always. With a roll of her eyes she began her morning routine of getting ready for school. At around 7:30 she was sitting at the kitchen island picking at her breakfast her mom insisted on making every morning.
"Honey," her mom said, "you really should eat." Good old predictable mom, every morning it was the same thing.
"I'm just not that hungry, I'll eat at lunch." Just then she heard the familiar honking of Cordelia's car waiting to take her to school.
"Bye mom, love ya." Buffy pecked her mom on the cheek, grabbed her bag, and walked out the front door to Cordelia's car.
"Hey Buff," Cordelia greeted her with her usual perkiness, "cute do."
"Thanks, I worked all last night on perfecting it, my hair just never cooperates with me. I'm just surprised it actually did." Buffy had her hair ironed straight with random spots crimpy.
"Well, I always thought you had good hair, I mean look at mine, if I didn't have a personal stylist I'd probably look like Willow. Well maybe that's a stretch but you get what I'm saying." Buffy laughed although a little part of her sighed, she liked Willow. Buffy was just too concerned with what other's thought of her to actually do what she wanted. Oh well, she thought. No need for any depressing thoughts, school is depressing enough. They arrived at school, walking in like they owned the joint, and took their seats for first period english. Ms. Young was a nice teacher, she allowed them to talk while they did class work. She was leaning back in her seat chatting with Harmony when Principal Snyder was heard over the loud speaker,
"Would Ms. Summers report to the library." She knew Snyder hated her especially in the way he said Summers as if it was a bad taste in his mouth. Buffy grumbled at having been disrupted and slowly walked out of the room and down toward the library.

She peeked in and didn't see anyone so she called out for the librarian and a middle-aged man with glasses and extremely bad clothes popped his head out from his office and spoke,
"Yes, may I help you?" Hmm, British, she thought.
"Yea, I was called down here, what is it you want." She put on an air of annoyance, hoping he'd get the hint and make whatever he wanted quick.
"Are you Buffy Summers?" He asked.
"Well ya, you called me down here didn't you?" He looked at her like she was a child who was never taught any manners.
"Yes, yes, well I would like to speak with you privately. Would you mind stepping into my office?" He didn't wait for a reply, he just simply walked in and waited for Buffy to follow. She rolled her eyes at his rudeness, walked in and took a seat in the leather chair that looked like it didn't belong in this century.
"Ms. Summers, my name is Rupert Giles and I was sent here by the Watchers Council to inform you of your duties as slayer." Buffy just stared for a few seconds and abruptly stood up from her chair and walked out of the office. Giles quickly followed her.
"Buffy, you mustn't walk away from this. I know this sounds strange but.."
"Strange, you think this sounds strange." She laughed without humor. "Maybe that's because it is strange, you're strange. Look I don't know if this is a joke or if you are crazy but I'm not a slayer."
"You are, you are the chosen one. In every generation there is a Chosen One. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the slayer."
"And you are nuts." With a turn of her heel she walked out of the library. Geez, she thought, I know Sunnydale is weird but that man was just skin crawling creepy. She was turning down the corridor when she could hear him run to catch up.
"Go away or I'm going to call the cops." She hurried her pace trying to get back to her class and maybe this freak would leave her alone.
"Look, I know you don't believe me but just humor me and meet me tonight at the cemetery, the one off Crawford."
"Sure, will that make you go away?" She had no intention of going to any cemetery, especially with this creep.
"Yes, yes," he already seemed distracted, typical loon. "I'll see you at sundown." With that he walked off, like it was completely normal to have a conversation with someone about slayers and demons. What a creep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yes I've informed her....... no she didn't take it as you expected...... yes............I understand but she has never had any prior training, never learned who she really is, how would you take it if someone told you you were a slayer. She's a normal teenage girl........ who seems to think I'm rather barmey. Yes well, I convinced her to meet me tonight at the cemetery, maybe seeing first hand what really goes on she might just believe me. Alright then, ta ta." He hung up the receiver and pinched the bridge of his nose, he knew this girl was going to be the cause of many a headaches.
He gathered his things and made all the preperations for tonight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When school finally let out, Buffy breathed a sigh of relief. Tonight she had a big date with Joe, her honey, whom she hadn't seen much of all week. It was a friday night and she intended on Bronzing it away. She met Cordy at her car and hopped in the passengers side.
"So," Cordy spoke, "you're def coming tonight, right? I mean it's friday, no conver!"
"Yea, definately, Joe will be there and I bought this totally chic dress, you just have to see it. Anyway Joe said he wanted to meet later at his place." Buffy finished with a wiggle of her eyebrows. She hadn't technically done the deed yet but she was sure tonight was the night. Joe couldn't wait forever for her. He'd waited almost 2 months, he deserved to have all of her. She loved him, and she was sure he loved her. Hopefully tonight went well, she didn't want to mess up and have him think she was an immature little girl.
"Ohhhhhh, Buffy, you so have to call me when you get home. I want all the juicy details." Cordy squealed.
"Ofcourse, wouldn't even consider not calling my gal." Buffy replied with a goofy grin. Cordy pulled up to her house a few minutes later.
"Now Buff, be ready by 7:30. I'm going to swing by and pick you up after I get Harm."
"Sounds fab, see ya in a bit" Buffy shut the car door and waved as Cordy drove off. What a day, she thought, now I must get myself all pretty.

Buffy spent the next 4 hours lounging around and getting ready. She was watching the tv waiting for Cordy when the phone rang.
"Hello."
"Buff, it's Cor, I can't come to pick you up."
"Why?" Buffy didn't want to have to stay in tonight.
"I can't drive my car for a whole month! Do you believe it, my mom found a used condom in my trash and she totally flipped. I'm talking major screaming. I convinced her that it wasn't mine but Harmony's. Anyway she's still all fuming and is insisting that I walk everywhere for a month. Do you mind walking there?"
"No." But really she did mind. First, these strappy heels she had on were not meant for the hike from her house to the Bronze. Second, that librarian had creeped her out with the whole demon bit.
"Great, see you in half." With that she hung up and wrote a note telling her mom that she'd be back by midnight, her mom was late at the Gallery on fridays so Buffy would be able to leave without a squabble.

Buffy walked down Revello, shivering, not from the nonexistant cold but from the creepy stillness in the air. That damn librarian had her totally wiggin. She should probably report him to the school board, definately not Snyder, that'd make him actually want to keep him. Why can't I just go through one day without being freaked out by weirdos and tortured by little trolls like Snyder. I'm nice, she thought, I don't pick on people, well unless they deserve it which wouldn't be picking on them just delievering justice, yes. She felt better at that. She pulled her knee length black leather jacket tighter around her body. Why am I freaking out, she thought?
Perfect choice of words to accompany the snarls coming from behind her. She whipped around and saw nothing, looking around quickly and still seeing nothing, she resumed walking. Ok now I'm hearing things, geez! There it was again, instead of turning around, she sped up her pace, hoping to get away from whatever was making that noise. She got only a few yards when she heard the distinct sound of leaves crunching under boots and decided to turn around and confront the stalker and was met with a man with a distorted face, long teeth, and the creepiest yellow eyes she had ever seen. Her eyes widened in disbelief and she muttered quietly,
"Who.... what are you?" She felt goosebumps rise up on the back of her neck. Something inside her was screaming for her to do something, yet she remained where she was.
"I'm the one whose going to kill you." He laughed, a malicious, deep laugh. He stalked toward her, very much the predator. Something inside Buffy took over and with everything she had she kicked him in the midsection. When her heel connected she could hear the crunching of ribs and the oomph of the creature as it doubled over. Buffy wasted no time in running. She took off at a speed she never thought humanly possible, especially in heels, but quickly pushed all thoughts aside when she heard the creature get up and give chase. Buffy turned right and realized that she was on Crawford street, the cemetery was a block or so up and she knew that creepy librarian would be there, she hoped he knew what to do. With renewed hope Buffy sprinted all the way into the cemetery and ran right into Giles. "Buffy you made it, I was begin....." But his sentence was cut off when he saw the vampire closing in.
"Run, we have to run." Buffy said, trying to get Giles to stand up.
"No, Buffy, you can fight him, you have to."
Buffy's eyes widened at his statement. He was definately crazy. She was about to reply when the vampire grabbed her from behind and started leaning his head toward her neck.
"Buffy, just use your instincts, you are the slayer, you can defeat him."
The vampire hissed slayer into her ear. Just as he was about to bite down, Buffy whipped her head back, connecting with the vampires nose. He stumbled back a few feet. Her head hurt, she could feel a headache forming already. The vamp regained it's bearing and charged at her, she grabbed the lapels of his shirt and used his momentum to throw him behind her. She spun around and instinct took over, it was like nothing she felt. Time felt as if it was creeping by slowly. The vamp leaped to its feet and circled her, looking for an opening which he immediately took advantage of and threw a left hook that connected with her cheek but she didn't feel it, her adrenalin was pumping like mad. She spun and side kicked him in the face. He flew back and Giles took the oppertunity to throw her a piece of wood, which she caught by instinct.
"Stab it through his heart, it's how you kill him."
She just nodded, stepped forward, and thrust the stake at the vamp, who easily side stepped it and landed a nasty punch on her back. She immediately fell to the ground, but had enought where-with-all to grab his ankle and pull him down beside her. He lunged forward and landed on top of her.
"Night, night slayer." He hissed into her face. When he leaned down to sink his fangs into her neck, she pulled her arm out of his grasp and stuck the wood into his back and straight through his heart. The vamp immediately crumbled to dust.
Buffy lay there for a moment, finally coming back to her senses.
"Buffy, are you alright?" Giles was immediately by her side. She sat up.
"You, you did this!" She angrily spat at him.
"What, no I wouldn't, I'm your watcher, I'm here to help."
"What was that? Why did he look like that and why is he a pile of dust?" She felt dizzy with confusion, anger, and residual fear.
"That was a vampire and vampires turn to dust when you stake them." Giles clarified.
"Uhuh." Buffy stood up. "I think I'm going to go home." She needed to get away. She didn't want this to be real, if it even was.
"Buffy, I think it's pertinent that we speak, we must discuss what went on here."
"Discuss, discuss what? That I got called to the library and some loon told me I was a slayer and then I get attacked by a.... vampire and I kill it and it's dust. Please, let's discuss this." She resorted to her usual sarcasm when she felt overwhelmed and right now she was far beyond overwhelmed. She was above overwhelmed.
"I know this is hard to grasp, that this all seems completely fictional but you must accept your destiny. Peoples' lives depend on it, depend on you. Buffy I'm not crazy and I'm certainly not trying to scare you but it is of the utmost importance that you listen to what I have to say. You must train and be prepared."
"Prepared for what? You just come into my school, my life and tell me that I must accept my destiny, whatever it may be? Just yesterday I was destiny free! Now, now I'm in a cemetery with a loony librarian killing vampires." She laughed, a deep on the brink of insanity laugh.
"What's so funny?" He looked at her in confusion.
"Nothing, it's just....." She broke into more laughter
"I don't see how any of this is funny." Giles was starting to feel worried. Did he break her? When she regained her ability to speak she replied,
"Ohhhh, I'm in a cemetery, with the school librarian, killing vampires." She let out a few more humorless chuckles.
"Yes, but how is that funny?"
"It's really not." Buffy looked down at her ruined dress. "I payed 200 dollars for this dress!"
Now Giles let out a chuckle. Buffy looked up at him and decided maybe he wasn't crazy.
"So, I'm a slayer?" She asked.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

End of chapter one. I worked real hard on this. I've had this story bouncing around in my head for eons and I realized that I just had to get it out. Anyway, sorry it's short but beginning a story is always most difficult, atleast for me. I'd appreciate any reviews, good or bad, I'm a tough gal ;) Also, sorry no Spike yet, but he will rear his platinum head soon.