Author's Chapter Notes:
It's been a while but between the wedding coming up so soon and finishing up college I have been a busy girl Anyway, I hope there are still people to read this. Feedback is appreciated as always!
Chapter Nine
Spike’s Point of View

“I hope you don’t mind that it took me so long to get ready. I haven’t had a reason to get all dressed up in a long time. I kind of missed it.” She has a small grin as she slides her feet into sandals with slight heels. Her hair is pulled up loosely so a few tendrils brush her neck and others frame her face. She’s wearing a knee-length black dress that cinches right above the swell of her stomach. The neckline shows her breasts that seem to be growing every day, and I must point out that I like it.

“Don’t mind it one bit.”

I called and pulled a few string to get us into the best restaurant nearby. This place is normally booked weeks in advance but after doing major construction for the owner a month back they were able to squeeze us in. My mouth is nearly watering at the thought of the Wellington they serve.

As we pull onto the road that the restaurant is on, Buffy lights up. “How did you know?” She asks.

A sense of pride that I did something right cracks my straight face into a smile and I confidently pull in front of the restaurant. Her smile falters for only a second as I park the car but she quickly replaces it. I wouldn’t have even noticed had I been watching where I was going like I should have been.

Quickly, I make my way out of the car and around to her side to help her out. She is still wearing her fake smile as she takes my hand and gives it a small squeeze.

“What’s the matter?” I question her. “One second you have a genuine smile and now you give me that cheap knock off?”

She doesn’t say anything but turns her head to look across the street. Across the way there is a small Italian themed place that I’ve never been to. Since it is across from one of the most sought after restaurants around I’m sure it gets overlooked quite frequently. With one last longing glance at the establishment in front of us with the amazing food I squeeze her hand back and lead her across the street. When she picks up on my intention she gets a little bounce in her step and practically drags me inside.

The inside is done in earthy tones with light music playing in the room. They have lights strung up along the doorways and small candles and flowers on each table setting. It’s also completely empty, not counting Buffy and myself, or the bickering couple behind the counter. The bickering doesn’t last long once the woman looks up and sees Buffy.

“Buffy, my dear, look at you! Growing even bigger, I see.” I raise my eyebrows at the forwardness of her comment. It’s apparent that they know each other but I know if I were to say something to that effect that I would be kicked out of my own house. Instead of getting mad Buffy just rubs her belly and agrees. Women.

The man comes around the counter and greets Buffy but gives me a cold stare. “What happened to the Doctor? You don’t bring him around anymore.” Buffy flusters a bit but recovers quickly and tells him to behave just as the other woman swats the man’s arm.

“Don’t pay any mind to my husband, he is overly protective of Buffy. My name is Rosa and this is Antonio. It is a pleasure to meet you, any friend of Buffy’s is more than welcome here.” Turning her attention to Buffy she asks, “So who is this handsome man?”

Well, I dare say I enjoy her more than her husband.

“This is Spike.”

“Spike? Well, that’s no name for a gentleman. What is your real name?”

“William, William Giles.”

“Look at us chattering away. Buffy let’s get you and the baby comfortable.” We get seated in a booth near the window.

Left alone with the menu, I look up at Buffy. “Come here often?”

“Not as much as I used to. I had my first job here. When I left my home town I started out here where I didn’t know many people. Rosa and Antonio let me rent the apartment above them and gave me a job. They didn’t need my help but they kept me on anyway. I had gone to apply for a waitress position across the street but when I got turned down I figured I would come over here for some comfort food. Since I started working at the office I haven’t had as much time to come and visit.”

We lingered after we ate and were joined by the owners for dessert. I was going to tell Buffy that if we didn’t leave soon we were going to miss the movies but she looked so content to sit and talk I kept my mouth shut. The husband frowned at me the entire time and I did the same.

Buffy and the couple were brought out of their reminiscing by the door opening and closing when others walked in. I recognize the male as the Doctor from Buffy’s office and I also saw the old man race to greet him.

“That’s my boss, let’s go say hello.” Buffy encourages. I sigh but follow her past the booths.

“Hello Riley.” She smiles. “Riley, this is Spike. Spike, Riley.”

“Yes, well Spike and I have already met. Nice to see you, man.” He extends his hand and I take it and give him the firmest handshake I can without it being considered assault. Antonio had made it obvious that at one point Buffy and this guy were together. His date is left alone off to the side as he moves closer to Buffy and makes small talk. The girl is petite much like Buffy with long blonde hair and green eyes. I grind my teeth to keep myself from pointing out the fact that she seems to be a Buffy look alike and busy myself getting money out of my wallet to pay for dinner.

The talk continues until Buffy’s cell phone rings and she excuses herself to answer it. I don’t even try to hide my enthusiasm as I “regretfully” leave to follow her. I catch up to Buffy standing just outside the door talking to someone on her phone. She makes tentative plans to meet them somewhere and when she hangs up she turns back to me and grins a hopeful grin.

“I’m sorry we missed the movie.” She apologizes and moves close to me sliding herself underneath my arm. She holds onto my forearm and starts walking us to the car.

“Are you now?” I ask.

“Yep, but we can still go see one. I haven’t been to this place yet but it would be nice.”

“And is this place where you were talking about on the phone? Where you were going to meet someone?”

She lets out a deep breath and pouts, “You heard that? Faith invited us to go see the same movie but outside. It’s a drive-in theater but nobody ever brings their cars. I’ve been wanting to go but I never wanted to be a third wheel.”

“Why didn’t you just bring the wonderful Doc?” I ask before the thought had even formed inside my head. She stops at the car and looks up at me.

“Seriously? Is this how it’s going to be? Fine, I did date Riley it didn’t last long… not even close. We started dating just before I found out I was pregnant. He didn’t mind, but I did. It didn’t feel right to ask a man to care for a child that wasn’t his own. So, before we got in too deep I broke things off. He was my boss anyway, it wouldn’t have worked. At the time, I thought that this baby was supposed to be something I should do on my own. Woman power and all that jazz.”

“Long story short, you don’t want him anymore?” I ask.

“Not at all.”

“Then yes, let’s go to the movie.” Like I could have denied her before she stroked my ego anyway.

Buffy’s Point of View

Spike didn’t push the Riley subject at all once we got in the car and I gave him directions to the movie. Faith was waiting for us by the ticket booth and waved happily when she saw us.

“Hello Buffy, Spike, and Baby. Auntie Faith says Hi!” Her tone turned a bit softer as she talked to my stomach and I laughed at the awkwardness of someone talking to my stomach in public. Faith gives me a hug and goes to give Spike a punch to the shoulder but he quickly dodges it and slides to the opposite side of me.

“Faith.” He nods and she follows suit. I tell myself that I’ll have to ask about their odd greeting later.

“Angel will be here in just a minute, I forgot the blanket and radio in the car. Oh, who am I kidding? I left them there on purpose so I could watch him walk away.” Faith gushes and Spike shifts awkwardly.

I ask him what the problem is but he is focused off to the side of us, searching.

“Spike?”

“It’s you.” He grumbles and glowers at someone out of my view. I take a step forward and look past him to find Angel stopped dead in his tracks carrying a blue checkered blanket and a cheap portable radio.

“You’ve met?” Faith asks. When I moved into Spike’s place Angel hadn’t come over until Spike left, and he left before Spike came back. As far as I knew they didn’t know each other.

“Let’s just say I’ve seen him walk away a few times.” Spike says and Angel lets out a nervous chuckle.

“Yeah, sorry about that.”

“Sorry for what?” Faith and I ask in unison. We look at each other and we both shrug.

“You going to tell them?” Spike asks.

“Spike and I don’t really know each other. We um… I-“

“He was the one fucking my wife… while I was still trying to make things work.”

Faith’s eyes go wide and my jaw drops. What are the odds? Really, what are the freaking odds? Looking between the two males I visualize them both puffing up their chests in a display of dominance and try to figure out a way to stop what’s coming.

I wasn’t prepared for what happened, though.

Spike let’s out a laugh and thanks Angel. “It was best that I got out of there when I did.” Spike throws his arm around me and squeezes. Given their odd camaraderie I figure it’s safe to finally give Angel his hug “Hello”. As soon as I get ready to put my arms around him for the hug Spike pulls me back and glowers at Angel. “Not going to happen. Let’s just get to the movie.

I slip out of Spike’s grip and walk next to Faith to the spot she picked out. She leans down and whispers in my ear, “Did that seriously just happen?”

“I’m not even sure what the hell is going on myself.” I mutter.

The oversized blanket is big enough for the four of us with Faith and I in the middle laughing out loud at the guys sharing glares over our heads.

By the time Spike and I get home I’m dead tired but I stop him outside of my bedroom as he heads to his.

“Thank you.” I genuinely mean it. I haven’t had a night out in so long and he was willing to let me share it with a friend. “It was a great first date.”

“You’re welcome.” He says as he holds onto my hands.

“So, after a great first date… how about a first kiss?”

“Well-“ he starts to argue that it isn’t our first kiss but I stop him.

“Fine, how about another first kiss?” I ask.

He leans in and places a chaste kiss on my lips and goes to pull back, but I stop him. I place a hand on the back of his neck and hold his mouth to mine. His lips are soft, but begin to press firmly against mine. I open my mouth trying to get him to deepen it, but he pulls back. “I can’t Buffy. If you do that, then knowing you are right down the hall from me is going to keep me up all night.

“Okay then. Well, goodnight.” I back up and place my hand on the doorknob. With amazing speed I find my back flat against the door with Spike kissing me. His tongue swipes across my lips and I let them part. This kiss steals my breath and I find myself turning my head to breathe.

“That was better.” I grin. “Want to join us?”

My heart is in my throat as I wait for a response. Spike’s eyes travels down to my stomach and he places a hand there.

“Just to sleep.”

His voice tells me he’s set on his answer and despite what my body is screaming for, I agree. “Just to sleep.”