CHAPTER TWO

“Oh my God!”

“I’m gonna cry!”

“You look gorgeous!”

A gaggle of screaming girls gathered to fawn over a young brunette covered in white satin and lace. Her every dream was coming true one by one. She was going to be married in her grandmother’s church with red roses draped dramatically, yet tastefully all around her. She was to begin a new life with the man of her dreams. And whether she knew it or not, she owed it all to one person . . . .

Standing alone, with a soft, wistful smile spread across her face, Buffy watched the familiar scene play out in front of her. It had happen hundreds of times over Buffy’s five year career as owner of Fairytale, but the result was a happy one all the same. It meant that Buffy was making someone’s wish become a reality, and that’s why she decided to open her own business right out of college. Luckily, her friends were surprisingly eager to help, all having had no immediate plans after they all graduated from UC Sunnydale together.

Each of her co-workers brought a unique skill to Fairytale that made it was it was today: Willow takes care of inventory, shipping, and booking (really anything that has to do with computers); Xander works as delivery man, handy man, and takes care of any other jobs he believes he can do with wedding work without compromising his manliness; Anya takes care of finances, and Buffy’s younger sister Dawn helps out with any loose ends Buffy may forget. Buffy was content when the shop finally opened, and still is, but the difference is now, it’s getting noticed.

Fairytale is not a regular wedding retail shop, Buffy and the gang had worked very hard for it to become so. Fairytale not only supplied a young bride with her dream gown, but got her in contact with the best flower shops, caterers, and stylists in the area -- and that area was beginning to expand. Buffy was now in regular contact with the biggest names in fashion and style, shipping Vera Wang dresses cross country if necessary, all while headquartered in a small mom and pop looking shop in the small town of Sunnydale. It was that extra mile Buffy was willing to go, without compromising the small metropolitan upbringing, that made Fairytale so unique.

Buffy was distracted from her thoughts by the bell, sounding that someone has entered the store. It was Dawn and Xander, who had picked her up from school. Dawn walked back around the desk where Buffy was standing, gave her a kiss hello, then went in the back room to drop her backpack off before helping Anya.

Buffy waited for Xander to report some funny and clever happening on his adventure to pick Dawn up at their old alma mater high school. He always had a little observation to make Buffy smile. He made none, so Buffy took the initiative.
“Hi ya Xander! What’s up?”

Xander jumped at the sound of her voice, “Iummmmnnnaa,” his eyes bugged and looked around him frantically, glancing anywhere but at Buffy, before panicking and pushing past her quickly.
Xander had been acting strangely around Buffy for a week now. He couldn’t be mad at her -- there was just no reason. And he didn’t act mean, he acted . . . Nervous. Maybe . . . No, he couldn’t. Well, he always had . . . Liked her. She liked him too, but . . . . Maybe they could. Stranger things have happened. She looked on as her young client tried on several veils to match her fantasy dress. Buffy decided then that if Xander would ever ask her out, she’d say yes.

Suddenly, Xander was thrown out of the maroon curtain that separated the store from the back work area. He looked back, scowling at whatever force propelled him. He came face to face with Buffy yet again, and stared at her for a moment.

“Buffy, I want to ask you a very important question.” It seemed to Buffy to be THE question. The one she had been dreading, but sure of all the same.

“Yes Xander?” Buffy couldn’t believe this. Little Xander, who she had gone to school with for all those years . . . .

“This is going to be the biggest decision of my entire life.”

“Oh, mine too!”

“I hope you’ll say yes.”

“I guarantee you I’ll say yes.”

In all the commotion, Anya had come up to the couple, sharing in the excitement.

“Buffy . . . I want you to be . . . my wedding coordinator.”

“Huh!? Your wedding . . . Wait, you were dating someone!? Who are you marrying?”

“Me,” Anya lurched forward in her outburst, overcome with excitement. “We want you to be our wedding girl,” she knocked Buffy on the shoulder with her fist lightly. “We want you to give us the biggest wedding you have ever done, all the while keeping in mind that we put our own lives on hold to help you set up your precious dream shop.”

The rest of the gang had emerged from the back, hearing the word ‘wedding’ in respect to one of their own.

Buffy gapped, and Xander looked at his future bride lovingly, “Only my girl could be so insulting with such a genuine smile on her face.”

“So we expect a big discount,” Anya added quickly. “We need the extra money for our honeymoon, where we can leave this crappy town and go have many, many orgasms!”

“WHOA!” the gang said in unison, Buffy nervously glancing at Dawn, making sure there was no sign of mental or physical scarring. But the younger Summers girl seemed blissful about the abrupt upcoming events.
“So, Buffster, whataya say? You’ll do this for us?”

Buffy was a little flustered. She didn’t even know Xander and Anya were seeing each other, let alone getting married! But they looked at her expectantly. Buffy took a breath, “Well, OK then!”

The entire gang imploded into hugs, kisses, and congratulations, until finally dissipating to return to their work.

“Oh, and Buffy?” Anya called back to her, “We need it done in two months.”