Chapter 2

Four months later...

“This would be so cute, Buffy,” Willow said, holding up the little outfit that she found.

Buffy scrunched up her nose at the choice. “It’s very pink. We don’t even know if I’m having a girl. I think we should look for something blue just incase.”

Willow nodded and browsed through more baby clothes.

Buffy stopped when she felt a pain in her stomach. A smile then formed on her face. “Willow, the baby just kicked!” she exclaimed, placing her hand over her abdomen.

Willow looked just as excited and put her hand over Buffy’s, only to feel the baby kick again.

They both had huge smiles on their faces now.

“Wow, she’s gonna be a tough one.”

Buffy nodded in agreement. She decided not to correct Willow again about the fact that she didn’t know if she was having a girl. “Yeah, but she’s doing a number on my bladder at the moment. I’ll be right back,” she said and left to find a restroom.

Willow went back to looking at the baby clothes.


* * * * *


“Oh, bloody hell!”

Buffy heard once she exited the bathroom. She wondered why that voice sounded so familiar. She then noticed a man looking at a shelf that held baby blankets and other baby things. She got a good look at him and saw that he had very blond hair that was obviously fake. He was also wearing a long, leather coat. She couldn’t see his face, but she would know that profile anywhere. “Well, what do we have here?”

The man turned around at her voice. His eyes bulged out when he recognized the familiar blonde girl. A smile formed on his face. “Buffy Summers, well, I’ll be damned,” he commented, looking her up and down.

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “Spike Reynolds, what brings you back here?” she wondered.

He shrugged. “Needed a change of scenery. You’ve put on some weight there, Summers,” he said with his trademark smirk.

Buffy dropped her arms back to her side, glaring at him. “I’m pregnant, if you must know.”

Spike knew that she was pregnant, but he missed annoying her. That was one of the things that he loved most about being in Sunnydale. “So, I see Peaches finally knocked you up. Didn’t know the ponce had it in him.” He tried not to let the anger show in his voice.

“Not that it’s any of your business, but I haven’t been with Angel since high school. He went to college in New York and I decided to stay here.”

Spike nodded and couldn’t believe everything that he missed. He didn’t even know that Buffy wasn’t with Angel anymore. They were high school sweethearts and were so in love. It was enough to make him want to gag. He always hated Angel with a passion, which was why he never got along well with Buffy. “So, there’s a new boy then?” he asked, trying not to sound jealous. He didn’t even know why he would be jealous. He could never stand the gorgeous blonde. He may have been gone for a few years, but Buffy was still just as gorgeous as ever.

Buffy looked upset for a moment and shook her head. “No, it’s just me. We broke up and I’m dealing with having the baby by myself. I can handle it.” She was surprised that she told him that much. She never liked the bleached moron. He always tried to make her life a living hell in high school. She may have always found him attractive, but he was too cocky for her taste.

Spike felt bad when he noticed the look on her face, but he would never admit that to her. “You sure you can handle that? Seems like a lot of responsibility.”

“I’m an adult now. It’s not like I’m having this baby when I’m some teenager that doesn’t know what the hell she’s doing.” She then decided to change the subject. “So, why are you here? Did some girl actually let you get her pregnant?” She stopped when she noticed an angry expression on his face, wondering what she could have said that was so terrible.

“I’m here for my uncle’s wife. She’s due in a few weeks and I decided to help out.”

Buffy seemed a little surprised by his confession, but she didn’t say anything else about it. “So, you’re staying with Giles then? I haven’t seen him since high school. How’s he doing? I didn’t know his wife was pregnant.”

Spike shrugged. “Well, you’ve had things on your mind. He’s doing fine. He would probably really like to see you,” he told her and wondered where that came from. He suddenly realized that he was hoping to see her again.

“Yeah, I might just do that. Is she having a boy or girl?”

Spike took a deep breath to try and calm himself. Being around Buffy again and all of this baby stuff was really starting to get to him. “She’s having a boy,” he responded.

Buffy nodded and gazed at the baby blankets that had his attention earlier. She smiled when she found one that would be perfect. “Here, give her this one.”

Spike looked at the blanket that Buffy handed to him. It was blue, with white clouds all over it. He nodded and gave her a small smile. “Thanks,” he said.

Buffy smiled in return. She rarely saw this side of Spike. “I should be getting back now. Good luck with everything.”

Spike looked just as surprised as she was, but he only nodded. “Yeah, same to you.”

Buffy was about to turn away, but his voice stopped her.

“How far along are you?”

She was caught off guard by his question. “I have about five months left.”

Spike took another deep breath and moved closer to her. “May I?” he asked.

Buffy didn’t even have to wonder what he was talking about. She nodded and gave him a smile.

Spike smiled as well, then placed his hand over her belly. He smiled bigger when he felt the baby kick.

Buffy noticed that he had tears in his eyes, but she figured it would be best not to say anything about it.

He just pulled his hand away suddenly and took a step back. He grabbed the baby blanket that she chose for him and walked away, without giving her another look.

Buffy watched him go for a moment and thought about how much he has changed. She shook her head and made her way back to Willow, actually hoping that she would see him again.