Author's Chapter Notes:
i'm sorry it's taken so long to write this chapter, i've just been busy. hope you like it. please comment as i have taken a long time with this one.
I’ve Been Waiting –
Chapter 3
‘Lying to tell the Truth’.
By Joey Maley


“Instinct. Instinct is the only thing I can give you. This is the most important attribute you can gain, that is why I am here, teaching you.” These words shot through the students like a bullet. The teacher, standing at the front of the class, in his tweed jacket looked stern and proper. He looked old before his time, this could be because of the things he had seen, or maybe those he had done. Either way, he knew what he was talking about. “In your life you will face unspeakable evils. You will face those that can not be named. But do you believe that you are ready for this responsibility?”

Suddenly, a student spoke up, his words nervous and with caution. “Mr. Giles, I don’t think that we are ready yet.”

“No, your not. It was good that you spoke up there, but no… you are no where near ready… yet. I will teach you languages, hand to hand combat and the art of magics. But for the moment, no. You are in no way ready for the trials that face you.”

The lesson was interrupted by a knock at the door. A young woman, no more than 25, entered the class room.

“Mr. Giles, there’s a phone call on line 1 for you. It’s Ms. Summers.”

“Thank you.” His voice was full of a mixture of excitement and fear. He knew that Buffy went to Los Angeles. He even knew the reason, even if she couldn’t tell him herself. He looked at the phone, a flashing button indicating that there was a call waiting. He picked up the phone slowly and cautiously. “Buffy, are you ok?”

“Hi Giles, yeah I’m fine. Are… are you alone?” Her voice told Giles that there was something wrong. He turned to the class and, with a stern voice said, “Class dismissed.” When the rest of the students left, he carried on the conversation. “Buffy, what’s wrong?”

After a pause, Buffy continued the conversation. “It’s started again.”

“What has?”

“Yet another thing is coming to destroy us all… again.” Her voice sounded tired, as if she had been here before.

“Oh bloody hell.” Giles realised that his work was in no way done. Here, thinking he had the easy life training the new watchers, he found himself back to where he started. “Will this never end? What is it?”

“I’m not quite sure yet, although Spike is adamant that he’s got the information from a reliable source.”

“Well I can’t do anything until I know what it is I’m dealing with.”

“I know. It’s just that it specified that it was out to kill you as well. Can you come here to LA? I know it’s a lot to ask but, I can’t face anything happening to you.” Buffy had always loved and respected her mentor. If he were to die then she didn’t know what she would do.

“Of course I’ll come. I’ll be there as soon as I can. I’ll call you when I get there. Good bye Buffy. Oh, could you… um… say thank you, to Spike.” He really didn’t want to say that but he realised, after everything that he had done for them, a little thanks had to be granted.

“Yeah, no worries Giles.” As she hung up the phone, his look had changed. He knew that there would always be Evil in the world but hasn’t he faced enough? He has been through more than his fair share of heartache in the past. He has faced everything with Buffy. But he knew that she still needed him, and he still needed her. He turned to a man sat next to him, all too eager to listen to the experienced watcher.

“Andrew, I need you to hold the fort whilst I’m gone, do you think that you can do that?”

“What? Yeah, of course Giles.” He realised that his time to shine was finally here. He had wanted this opportunity for so long now. “Where are you going?”

“Los Angeles. Buffy needs me.”

He took his jacket off of the back of his seat and strolled out of the room, safe in the knowledge that his class would be in good hands, even if it was in those of a former ‘evil’ mastermind… of sorts.

He knew that this could be the last battle that they would fight. He didn’t care, as long as he was with the one person he loved more than anyone in the world. His ‘daughter’, Buffy.

………………………………………………………………………………………..


In an apartment in Los Angeles, a heartbroken woman tries to hold back her tears. She knows the reasons for not seeing her man up until this point but, but why is it so hard to accept?

She had lost him all those years ago, but now he’s back. He is back to stay.

“So, is someone gunna talk or what, slayer?” His accent cut through her like a knife. She never thought that she would hear him speak to her again. But here he is. Alive and kicking… sort of.

“What do you want me to say, Spike. That I missed you? That I can’t believe my own eyes that you’re here? Well fine, if that’s what you want to hear. It’s true. I thought you were dead.”
“Well, actually…”

“Oh, you know what I mean. You sacrificed yourself for us and, and… your stupid!”

Her words shocked Spike. He thought that she would be pleased to see him, but this?

“What? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“You left and I didn’t know what had happened. I missed you so much and now that your back I, I don’t know what to say. I just never thought that you’d be here, talking to me. Standing there with your jacket and, and…” At that she was interrupted by his muscular arms wrapping himself around her small frame. He lent in and kissed her neck with such sensitivity and love, she could do nothing but just stand in awe. She had missed this feeling with her heart and soul. Oh, thank God that he’s back. She didn’t want him to stop kissing her. Then, slowly and with care, he lent back, looked her in the eyes and said the words she had longed to here for, oh so long.

“I love you Buffy, you know that yeah? If I knew what harm I would cause you I, I don’t know what I would have done. But, the point I’m trying to make is, you’re everything to me. You make me feel more than just a monster. I Love you.” These words were powerful beyond belief. She knew it to be true but, to actually hear these words was something else.

They looked at each other with a passion that burned. Her skin just felt on fire and she knew that the only way to stop it was to just touch. To kiss him. She knew that was what they wanted. She reached out and touched his cheek. She took him by the hand and led him to the bedroom. He wanted this so much, even more than his own immortality. They were there, in the room as she reached up and turned off the light. They were back.

END OF CHAPTER