Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter five for you, hope you enjoy it.
I don't own any of the characters.
Thanks to my beta, Nichole, for her help.
Study buddies... or more?


“I am officially bored!” Xander announced and slammed his book shut. Eight pairs of eyes looked up at his words. They were all studying at Buffy’s house, and were spread out around the living room.

“Well, it is getting kinda late.” Willow said, looking at her watch. “Maybe we should call it a night?”

“Or.” Faith suggested. “How ‘bout we watch a movie? I mean, we still have all this food.” She gestured to the table which was laden with chips, candy and various other snacks.

“Sounds good to me.” Buffy agreed and got up off the couch. “You guys pick a movie, I just have to check on Cody.” Next to where she had been sitting was Spike, his feet on the table and a large history book in his lap, and Buffy had to step over his legs to get to the hallway. When she did her leg brushed against his, and she felt the tingly feeling that she had gotten used to when it came to her and Spike being close to each other rush through her body. She knew he felt it too, because he looked up at her and for a second she was lost in his eyes. Buffy forced herself to shake the feeling and continued into the hallway and to Cody’s room. She tip-toed into the room where her son was sound asleep. To gather herself she sat down in the rocking chair for a moment.

She had been in Sunnydale for almost two months now, and loved living there. She had gotten to know Willow’s friends better, and was now a part of their group. They had all accepted her without a second thought, and Buffy was very happy to be able to call them her friends.

The thing that she was most grateful for, and surprised by, was the fact that the entire group had taken an instant liking to Cody. Willow and Tara had practically begged her to let them baby-sit, which she was more than happy to let them do every once in a while, when she felt that she needed some time by herself.

Then there was Spike. He and Cody had a special relationship, Buffy knew that. She was worried that her son was getting too attached to Spike, but at the same time she was happy that he had some sort of father figure in his life, for however long that might last. She had half expected Spike to make some kind of move, but so far he hadn’t. She knew there was chemistry between them, but was still too hurt by her previous encounters with the opposite sex to even consider getting into a new relationship.

Buffy snapped out of her thoughts and realized that she had been gone for almost ten minutes. She decided to get back to her friends, quietly crossing the room and closing the door behind her.

“Wondered where you’d gotten to, love.” Spike’s words made Buffy jump lightly, she hadn’t heard him behind her in the hallway.

“Just needed a little breather is all.” She replied, smiling slightly, ignoring the butterflies that were, apparently, having a party in her stomach.

“From...” Spike countered, giving her a questioning look.

“Just... nothing.” Buffy answered, hoping he wouldn’t call her on her lie. She wasn’t ready to share her possible feelings yet, least of all with him. She walked past him, making for the living room, only to find Spike grabbing her hand.

“OK.” He accepted, taking a step closer to her. “So, it’s all me then?”

“All you what?” Buffy asked, not able to tear her eyes away from his as he closed in on her.

“I’m the only one feeling it, the connection between us?” He let go of her hand and brushed a stray strand of her hair away from her face, letting his hand wander down the side of her neck, then to the back, pulling her even closer. “The electricity between us, every time you’re close to me?” He continued in a whisper before letting his lips brush across hers in a light kiss.

Spike had half expected her to pull away from him, and was slightly surprised when instead her arms were pulling him impossibly closer as she let him deepen the kiss. He groaned into her mouth and took a few steps forward, pressing her against the wall behind her.

Buffy couldn’t control the way her body was reacting to Spike’s touches, and part of her didn’t want to. It had been so long since she had felt anything even remotely close to the sensation that was now coursing through her body, and she wanted to make the moment last, forgetting about the fact that her son was asleep in the next room and that their friends could walk in on them at any moment. Then, all of a sudden, he pulled away from her.

They stood there for a moment, both trying to breath normally and regain control over their bodies, before Spike spoke.

“You can’t tell me that it’s just me.” Buffy shook her head at his statement.

“No, it’s not.” She admitted. Seeing the hopeful look in his eyes, she quickly continued. “But I’m not ready for this. I just... I need some time. Can you give me that?”

“I’ll give you all the time in the world, princess.” He answered, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead before turning and walking down the hall into the living room.

Buffy leaned back against the wall, trying to calm her breathing and her racing heart. What the hell had just happened? And, more importantly, why had she let it happen? She was supposed to stay as far away from guys as she could. Had she learned nothing from her previous experiences?

Buffy sighed deeply before pushing herself away from the wall and heading towards the living room. It wasn’t like she would be able to avoid him forever, anyway.

Spike watched Buffy as she re-entered the living room. He half expected her to find another seat, not wanting to be too close to him after their little ‘encounter’ in the hallway, but she returned to her seat next to him on the couch. He gave her a gazing look, but she just shot him a brief smile and turned her attention to Faith and Xander who were arguing about what movie to watch.

“Why can’t we watch a movie that doesn’t revolve around guys getting beaten half to death for once?”

“You know, Anyanka, sometimes I wonder who the man in your relationship is.” Spike shook his head at Xander, who was opting for ‘Finding Nemo’ while Faith was rooting for ‘Fight Club’.

“Come on guys, back me up on this one.” Faith pleaded. “I am not going to watch a cartoon fish for two hours.”

“Sorry, Faith, I’m gonna have to go with Xander on this one.” Buffy said. “ ‘Finding Nemo’ has quickly become one of my favorite movies.”

“Oh, and isn’t Dory just the cutest thing?” Willow added, getting nods and agreements from both Tara and Anya.

“Guess you’re outnumbered, Faithy.” Cordy shrugged, and Faith reluctantly put the disc into the DVD player.

*****

“Why didn’t somebody warn me that it was a sad movie?” Faith half sobbed as Cordy gently ushered her towards the front door.

“It’s not a sad movie, sweetie, it’s a happy movie, it’s funny.” Willow offered, but Faith just ignored her.

“It was just so sad, he never even got to meet his own mother. And then he got locked in that horrible tank. Poor Nemo.” They heard her mumble as Cordy led her down Buffy’s driveway, turning to wave goodbye.

“Is she PMS-ing?” Spike quietly asked Willow, earning him a slap on the arm from Tara.

“She’s sensitive, too, you know.” She said, giving Spike her most accusing look. “She just... hides it well.”

“Sure, and I’m a natural blonde.” He replied, grabbing his duster before walking out the door, stopping on the porch. “Make sure Cody’s ready at three tomorrow, we need to leave by then.”

Spike, Oz and Xander were taking Cody to a baseball game the following day, while Buffy was going shopping with the girls.

“Sure, I’ll see you then.” Buffy replied, keeping her eyes on Spike’s disappearing form.

“You OK, sweetie?” Willow asked, pulling Buffy out of her trance like state.

“Huh? Yeah, I’m fine.” Buffy offered Willow a smile, getting a knowing look in return. “What?”

“Oh, nothing.” Willow replied, knowing that Buffy needed to realize her feelings on her own. “Hey, we’re still on for Thanksgiving, right?” She asked.

“Yup. Mom and Dawn are coming here for the holidays, and Mom’s been dying to meet all of you guys.” Buffy answered. “Everyone still coming?”

“I know we are.” Tara said, handing Willow her jacket before putting her own on. “And Cordy and Faith said they’d be there too.”

“I go where the food is.” Xander said, him and Anya also getting ready to leave.

“I second that.” Oz said, and Anya nodded.

“I like holidays with a ritual slaughter.” She said, earning five curious looks. “You kill and eat an animal in memory of a historical event. It’s a ritual sacrifice. With pie.”

“OK, honey, whatever you say.” Xander agreed, shaking his head slightly.

“What about Spike?” Buffy asked, not wanting to sound too obvious about the fact that she wanted him to come.

“Well, I don’t think he usually celebrated Thanksgiving, with him and Giles being English and all.” Willow said, thoughtfully. “But I know he’s not going to England for the break, so he’ll probably come.”

“Maybe I should invite Giles too?” Buffy thought out loud.

“Yeah, I bet he’d like that.” Tara said. “Plus, he must be about your moms age, right?”

“Yeah, I think so.” Buffy replied. “OK, that’s settled then. I’ll invite him in class on Monday.”

“Sounds good, sweetie.” Willow said, giving Buffy a hug before she and Tara left the house, followed by Oz, Xander and Anya. “See you tomorrow, Buffy.”

“Yeah, see you tomorrow.” Buffy called back before closing the door and going back into her now quiet house.

*****

“Come on, Cody, you need to put a jacket on, it could get cold at the game.” Buffy coaxed, but Cody was still shaking his head with his arms crossed firmly over his chest. ‘Oh, yay for the defiant age’ Buffy thought as she heard a car honk outside. She gave up and let Cody run down the drive way to Spike’s car, following with the jacket, Cody’s back pack and car seat in her hands.

“Hey, pet.” Spike greeted her as he peeled Cody from his left leg and lifted him up instead. “You ready to go, tiger?” Cody nodded vigorously and Buffy went to put the car seat in the back seat of the black DeSoto. After Spike put Cody in, she handed him the back pack and jacket.

“He refused to put this on, but he’ll probably get cold later.” She said. “There’s snack and a bottle of water in the bag.” She continued, trying to avoid his eyes but failing.

“Hey, I’m not gonna bite, you know.” He said. “I said I’d give you time, and I will. Now, you go have fun at the mall, and I’ll call when the game is over, OK?”

She nodded and he rounded the car, getting into the drivers seat. They were all meeting at the Pizza Place for dinner after the game. Buffy gave Cody a kiss on the forehead.

“Have fun at the game, baby.” She said before closing the car door.

Spike pulled out from the sidewalk, and when he turned right at the end of the street, Buffy went back inside to get her purse before heading to the mall to meet her friends.

*****

“Hey, guys.” Buffy said, joining Willow, Tara, Anya and Cordy in the food court of Sunnydale mall. “Where’s Faith?”

“Late, as usual.” Cordy complained. “She’ll be on time the day Hell freezes over.”

“That’s why we always meet here.” Willow explained. “This way, we can get coffee while we wait for her.”

“I’m gonna go order.” Anya announced, getting up from the chair she had been occupying. “The usual for everyone?” The group nodded, and Anya started walking towards Starbucks.

“Did our boys get off to the game OK?” Tara asked, and Buffy nodded.

“Yup, the guys picked Cody up about half an hour ago. He was so excited.” Buffy giggled a little at the memory. “They’re gonna call my cell when the game is over, so we can meet them at the Pizza Place.”

“Sounds good.” Willow nodded. “Hey, you still haven’t met Fred and Wes, have you?” Buffy shook her head.

“No, but after all the time I’ve spent on the phone with Fred, I feel like I know her. They must have doubled their income since I moved here.”

“Don’t count on it.” Willow said. “We’re all pretty frequent visitors to that place. Don’t know what they would do without us.”

“Probably shut down the business.” Cordy said, shaking her head. “It’s really not nice of them to feed off poor students like us.” That earned her three meaning looks. “What?”

“ ‘Poor students’? Well, we all know you don’t fall under that category, don’t we?” Willow said, trying to sound jealous but failing miserably. It was an internal joke in their group that Cordy’s family had enough money to buy the entire city. She never flaunted her money, though, and every once in a while she would treat her friends to something special.

“OK, I’ve got coffee goodness for everyone.” Anya said, returning to the table. “Cappuccino for you two.” She handed Tara and Buffy their coffee. “Espresso extra light for you.” Cordy took the cup from Anya. “Decaf Café Au Lait for you.” Willow frowned but accepter her coffee. “And, for me, one moccaccino with extra cream.” She sat down at the table and started sipping her drink.

“Hey, why did I get decaf?” Willow wondered.

“Wills, honey, you already had two cups of coffee for breakfast.” Tara said.

“And no-one wants to shop with hyper Willow.” Cordy contributed. “Am I right?” The others around the table nodded, and Willow huffed.

“I do not get hyper from three cups of coffee.” At the others expressions, she continued. “OK, maybe I do.” She surrendered to her cup.

“Hey guys, how’s it hanging?” Everyone looked up as Faith approached the table. “Ah, you started without me.”

“We finished without you.” Cordy said, disposing her now empty cup onto the tray. “Where have you been? We don’t have all day, you know, and I have to find an outfit for my date tonight.”

“Sorry that I ruined your plans, Queen C, overslept.” Faith said, squeezing in between Willow and Buffy.

“Overslept?” Tara questioned. “It’s almost four in the afternoon.”

“Yeah, well... got home a little late...” Faith grinned.

“How late?” Willow questioned.

“Little after eight, I think.” Faith replied, helping herself to Tara’s leftover cappuccino.

“Eight, but that’s not l...” Willow started, then blushed when she understood. “Oh, eight in the morning.”

“Who was it this time?” Cordy asked, and Faith chuckled.

“Name’s Robin, he’s at Alpha Kappa Beta.” Faith revealed. ”And let me tell you, that boy can go all night.”

Willow went, if possible, even more red than she already was.

“Good orgasms?” Anya asked, but Cordy cut Faith’s answer short.

“Look, you two can discuss your sex life all you want tonight.” She said and got up. “Right now, we have got to get going. I need some serious shopping time. We don’t know how long this baseball game will take, so I say let’s go.”

The other girls hurried to finish their coffee and followed Cordy out of the food court. There was no stopping her when she was on the hunt.

*****

Buffy, Willow and Tara groaned as Cordy led the way to Victoria’s Secret’s. They had been shopping for almost three hours now, and Buffy was praying that Spike would call soon. Her feet were aching.

So far they had been in every clothes store in the mall, plus every shoe and purse store. Cordy had found the perfect outfit for her date that evening, and the other girls had picked up a few things as well. Buffy had managed to slip into a children’s shoe store when Cordy and Anya were busy trying on clothes, and gotten Cody a new pair of sneakers. His feet were growing at an alarming rate.

“OK, this is the last store, I promise.” Cordy said as she did her visual survey of the store.

“Why do you need new underwear, anyway, Cordy?” Willow questioned. “Isn’t this your first date with this guy?”

“So? Doesn’t hurt to be prepared for all eventualities.” Cordy countered, and Willow blushed, as she always did when her friends sex lives came up. How she managed to stay friends with Anya and Faith, Buffy wondered.

“OK, I’m just gonna go wait outside.” Willow said, turning to leave the store.

“Yeah, me too.” Buffy said and Tara nodded. They both followed Willow out of the store, all three of them sitting down on a bench.

“I don’t know why I get like that.” Willow said. “I mean, it’s just underwear, and it’s not like I don’t know that my friends have sex, it’s just...”

“You don’t want to hear about it.” Buffy concluded. “Neither do I, really. And don’t worry, you wouldn’t be the Willow we all know and love if you didn’t get all embarrassed about this stuff.”

“Exactly.” Tara said, putting an arm around Willow’s shoulders in a comforting gesture.

“Really?”

“Of course.” Buffy said. “We have Faith and Anya to be blunt about sex, and those two are more than enough... hang on, that’s me.” She rummaged around her purse, frantically searching for her ringing cell phone.

“Actually, I think that’s your phone.” Willow offered.

“Thank you very much, miss state-the-obvious.” Buffy replied, finally finding the small phone. “Why are these things always in the bottom when you need them? Hello?”

“Hey, love, how’s the shopping going?” Buffy heard Spike’s voice over the line and thanked her lucky star.

“Please say that you’re about to free me from this torture?” She pleaded, getting a chuckle in return.

“Queen C and Anyanka driving the rest of you crazy, huh? Shouldn’t you be used to this by now?”

“I’ll never get used to this. I thought I was a shopaholic, but those two are ten times worse than me.” Buffy ran a hand through her hair and leaned back against the back of the bench. “The game over?”

“Yeah, sorry. We ran a little late. Think you can tear the shopping freaks from the store and meet us in say... fifteen minutes?”

“I’ll try. They’re in Victoria’s Secret’s with Faith at the moment, but I’ll do my best.”

“Oh... and why aren’t you in the store with them?” He asked, and Buffy’s heart was suddenly in the vicinity of her tonsils.

“I... I just don’t... need anything from there at the moment.” She decided was the best way to go.

“I wouldn’t mind going there with you... and I hate shopping.” Spike’s voice had lowered, and Buffy’s heart started beating even faster.

“Spike, I...”

“Sorry, love, got a bit carried away there.” He cut her off. “See you in fifteen, then?”

“OK. Bye.” Buffy pressed the button to hang up the phone and put it back in her purse before turning to Willow and Tara. “The game’s over, and they’re heading to the Pizza Place.”

“OK, we should get going then.” Willow said. “Who’s gonna get them?” She nodded at the store.

“I’ll do it.” Tara said, getting up. “It’s not like it’s something I haven’t seen before.”

“You better not look to close.” Willow called after her girlfriend, who turned and blew her a kiss before re-entering the store.

“I wish I could have that.” Buffy sighed.

“What, a girlfriend? Is there something you want to tell me, Buffy?”

“No, not that.” Buffy slapped Willow’s arm. “Just the kind of relationship you guys have.”

“You could, you know.” Willow said softly and they both knew who she was talking about. It was time to step into the mix, she decided. Nothing had happened between her friends, and it had been over two months.

“I know. It’s just... I’m scared, Wills.” Buffy admitted. “It’s not like I have the best track record with guys, and with Cody... he’s already too attached to Spike as it is, and if we got together... I would never forgive myself if he left, not for my sake but for Cody’s.”

“Spike wouldn’t do that, he’s a great guy you know.”

“I know. And it’s funny, cause that’s exactly what I thought about Riley.”

Willow put an arm around Buffy’s shoulders, giving them an encouraging squeeze.

“I’ve never met this Riley guy.” She said. “But I do know Spike, and I know that he loves that little boy just as much, if not more, than the rest of us. And if, and I’m not saying this will happen, I really don’t think it will, but if you two would break up, I am positive that he would still be around if you wanted him to. OK?”

“OK.” Buffy nodded. “I think that I know this, somewhere, but I’m just scared to believe it. I just need some more time.”

“Well, you have all the time in the world.” Willow said, letting go of Buffy as their friends excited the store.

“Funny. That’s what he said too.” Buffy mumbled to herself.

*****

“Look what Spike got me, Mommy!” Was the first thing Buffy heard as she and the girls entered the Pizza Place.

“What did he get you, sweetie?” Buffy asked, placing a quick kiss on her son’s forehead before letting go of him.

“A bayball!” He held up the ball for her to look at it.

“That’s great, baby. And it’s signed and everything.” Buffy ushered Cody back towards the table where the rest of the gang were now sitting.

“That what took so long.” Spike explained as Cody climbed into the booth next to him and Buffy sat on the closest chair. “Had to wait for the players to get changed and stuff before they would sign the ball.”

“That’s OK.” Buffy replied, trying to avoid Spike’s eyes.

“Yeah, we had more time shopping.” Anya said happily. “Speaking of, I can’t wait to get back to the dorm to show you what I bought.” She said, batting her eyelashes at Xander across the table.

“OK, TMI Anya, even for me.” Cordy said, grimacing. “Plus, little tea pots have ears too.” She continued, indicating Cody.

“I’m not a tea Pot, I’m a tiger!” Cody announced, followed by a tiger roar to match Tony himself.

“That’s right, baby, you’re a big, bad tiger.” Buffy agreed, ruffling Cody’s hair.

“Hey, guys, what can I get all of you?” A cute brunette asked.

“Hi, Fred!” Everyone greeted.

“Fred, I’d like you to meet the newest addition to our group, Buffy.” Willow introduced.

“Hi, Fred, I’ve heard a lot about you.” Buffy said, shaking Fred’s hand.

“Not half as much as I’ve heard about you, I bet.” Fred replied, giving Spike a conspirators look. “And this little guy must be Cody, am I right? Aren’t you just the cutest little thing I’ve ever seen!”

Cody blushed bright red and hid his face in Spike’s duster.

“Sorry, he’s a bit shy.” Buffy said.

“Oh, don’t worry. I’m sure I’ll see plenty more of both of you.” Fred said, still smiling. “So, what can I get you today?”

They ordered and got their food, everyone eating off each other’s plates. Buffy ate in silence, watching her son interact with Spike. Cody was usually shy around new people, like he had been with Fred just moments earlier. But with Spike, he had connected immediately, and now, two months later, he was as comfortable with Spike as he was with Buffy and her family, while he still got shy every now and then around the others in the group. Buffy sighed at the image of the two of them, and wondered if maybe Willow was right.