Author's Chapter Notes:
So, guys, this is the end of this story. But don't worry, there will be a sequel, which is really the main story. This was just working up to the actual plot, background if you will. So thanks to everyone who's reviewed, I really appreciate it, and enjoy! Oh and I don't own them.
7 – Valentine’s Day


“Hey, he give you any trouble?” Buffy asked as she walked into the living room where Spike was watching TV. She found Cody asleep in an armchair, hugging a soft toy bear close to him.

“He’s been out like a light for almost an hour, I tired him out with hide and seek.” Spike replied.

“Did he hide in the cupboard under the sink again?” Buffy asked, joining Spike on the couch.

“Yeah, but I looked for him a good twenty minutes before finding him.”

It was now February, and a couple of weeks into the spring semester. Spike had offered to baby sit every Thursday, so that Buffy could sign up for an evening class that day, and most nights ended in hide and seek.

Since the comment about lingerie and Victoria’s Secret, Spike hadn’t made another move. There were still looks and ‘accidental’ touches, but that was it.

As Spike focused back on the TV, Buffy took the opportunity to watch him. He had done so much for her and Cody in the past five months, more than she could have ever expected. She knew that he cared about both of them, and she cared a lot about him too. More than her other friends.

Wait a minute... she thought to herself. Where did that come from?

Thinking about it, she realized that it was true. She considered Spike more than a friend, but she didn’t know how to make him realize that she was finally ready.

“You OK?” Buffy looked up at Spike’s question and found him frowning at her.

“Yeah, just thinking.” She replied.

“Pennie for your thoughts.”

“I was just wondering what you’re doing on Sunday?” Buffy held her breath as she awaited his answer.

“Why, do you need a baby sitter?” He asked.

“No, I thought that maybe... we could do something...” Buffy looked away, afraid that she had misread the signs. Maybe he wasn’t interested anymore.

“Sunday’s Valentine’s Day.” Spike stated, and Buffy nodded.

“I know.” She dared a glance at him. He was looking at her intently.

“Are you sure about that?” He had a disbelieving look on his face.

“Only if you want to.” Buffy hurried to add, not wanting him to think she was desperate.

“Who would watch Cody? It is Valentine’s Day, after all.” Buffy wasn’t sure that this was a yes or not, but she decided to go with it.

“I’m sure my mom would be OK with taking a day off to come up here.” Buffy replied, not even sure where that idea came from.

“Then I would love to take you out.” Spike stated.

“Really? Because you don’t have to, I mean if you already had plans, I know I kinda sprung this on you last minute, but I...”

Buffy was interrupted by Spike’s lips on hers, which was a very effective way to shut her up. The kiss wasn’t sensual or demanding, but soft and sweet, and over way too quickly.

“I’ve gotta get going, I’ll see you tomorrow in class.” Spike got up and grabbed his jacket off the back of the couch. “Seven on Sunday sound good?”

“Sounds great.”

xxxxx

“Hello?”

“I just asked him out!” Buffy exclaimed the moment Willow answered the phone.

“Who is this?” Willow asked.

“Buffy!”

“Oh, hi, sweetie. You did what?” Willow was sounding confused.

“I got home from my class, and Cody was asleep in the living room and Spike was watching TV and I just asked him out.” Buffy explained.

“Really? That’s great!” Willow said excitedly. “When?”

“Sunday.”

“That’s Valentines Day.” Willow stated.

“I was aware of that, thank you.” Buffy said sarcastically.

“I didn’t mean it like that, I was just surprised.” Willow defended herself. “Why didn’t you say something?”

“I didn’t know I was going to do it until I actually did.” Buffy replied.

“A spur of the moment kinda thing?”

“I guess. Oh my God, what if it doesn’t work?” Buffy was suddenly panic struck.

“Don’t even go there!” Willow scolded. “This will work. I have watched the two of you over the past couple of months, and you are perfect for each other.”

“I am going to need mental coaching, and fashion advice, on Sunday.” Buffy stated.

“Count me and Tara in.” Willow promised. “We’re having dinner at this great little restaurant, but it’s not til eight.”

“He’s picking me up at seven.” Buffy said. “What am I going to wear?”

xxxxx

“The fashion patrol report for duty!” Cordy announced as she closed the door behind her, Faith and Anya. It was five thirty on The Sunday, and Buffy, Willow and Tara were already in full pre-date mode in Buffy’s bedroom. Joyce was stationed in the living room with Cody.

“Thank God you’re here, she’s freaking out!” Willow half whispered.

“I am not freaking out.” Buffy objected, looking through one of the piles of clothes that were littering the floor.

“Step away from the clothes!” Cordy demanded, and Buffy dropped a top she’d been holding.

“We’ve got the goods right here.” Faith held up a paper bag.

“Yes, Spike will go competely crazy when he sees you in this.” Anya contributed.

“Not sure that’s what I’m looking for.” Buffy replied sceptically.

“Trust me, this will look amazing on you.” Cordy assured her, pulling a skirt and top from the bag. “Change!”

Buffy pulled off the clothes she was wearing and put the skirt and the top on.

“Does it look OK?” She asked, turning around as she was trying to see the back.

“It looks more than OK, sweetie.” Tara stated.

“Really?” Buffy went to the full body mirror on one of the walls and looked at her relfection. The skirt was black and made in a silky material. It wasn’t too short, but stopped an inch or so above her knees. The top was a red halter that tied behind her neck. She really did look good. “Wow.”

“You can say that again, babe.” Faith agreed. “A little make up, nice shoes and Willy won’t know what hit him.”

“Let’s get started then.”

xxxxx

Spike nervously paced the porch to Buffy’s house. He was a little early, which was good, since he needed a few minutes to pull himself together.

What the hell was going on? He didn’t get nervous on dates. This was just another girl, nothing special about her.

As the thought crossed his mind, he knew it wasn’t true. Ever since the day they’d met, there had been something about Buffy that simply drew him in. He couldn’t put a finger on what it was, and he was in no position to fight it, not that he wanted to.

Deciding to just jump right in, Spike reached out and rung the door bell. A minute later, the door opened to reveal Buffy’s mom.

“Hello Spike, come on in.” She stepped aside to let him into the house. “I’ll let the girls know you’re here.”

She went upstairs to allert Buffy and whoever else was up there with her, and Spike went into the living room where Cody was watching a movie on the TV.

“Spike!” Cody announced as he spotted him, jumped off the couch and gave Spike a hug.

“Hey kiddo.” Spike hugged him back before putting him down on the floor again. “What’re you watching?”

“Sponge Bob.” Cody replied, turning his attention back to the TV.

“Again?”

“Wanna play with me?” Cody asked, tearing his attention away from Bob and Patrick’s adventures on the screen.

“Not tonight, tiger, your mom and I are going out.” Spike replied.

“Out where?” Cody wondered.

“To a restaurant to eat.” Spike explained.

“Can I come?” Cody did his best puppy eyes.

“You have to stay here and keep nana company, or she’ll be all alone. You wouldn’t want that, would you?” Spike reasoned.

“I can stay with nana.” Cody happily obliged. “Then can we play?”

“Tell you what, we can play on Wednesday, when mommy has her class, OK?”

“OK.” Cody nodded and, apparently deciding that the conversation was over, returned to the couch and focused on the movie.

“Hi.” Spike turned around at Buffy’s voice. He hadn’t heard her come into the room.

“Hey.” He replied, taking in her outfit. She looked amazing. “You look great.”

“Thanks.” She replied. “You’re not half bad yourself.”

“You wanna...” He gestured at the door, and Buffy nodded.

“I just have to say goodnight first.” She went over to the couch. “Mommy’s going out, OK baby? I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Night mama.” Cody didn’t take his eyes off the TV.

“Night baby.” Buffy gave him a kiss on the head, and he squirmed away from her touch.

“He’s a big boy now, love.” Spike reasoned.

“I know.” Buffy replied, following Spike to the door. “I just wish he could stay little forever, you know?”

“I think all parents want that.” Spike replied, opening the front door.

“You two have fun, alright? Don’t worry about Cody, we’ll be fine.” Joyce said as Buffy and Spike stepped onto the front porch.

“Thanks for doing this, mom.” Buffy said before she closed the door. “I really appreciate it.”

“It’s not a problem.” Joyce assured her. “Now get going, so your friends can get out of your bedroom!”

“Who’s in your bedroom?” Spike asked when Joyce closed the door.

“Just Willow, Tara, Cordy, Anya and Faith.” Buffy blushed a little. “I wanted help to get ready, so you wouldn’t be disappointed.”

“You could never disappoint me, love.” Spike assured her.

“Really?”

“Really.” Spike opened the door to his DeSoto and Buffy got in. He rounded the car and got into the drivers seat.

“So, where are we going?” Buffy asked as Spike started the car.

“I thought we could have dinner first, and then go to the party at the Bronze.” Spike suggested. “If that’s OK?”

“It sounds great. All the guys are going to the Bronze later, too.” Buffy told him.

There was a Valentine’s Day party at the Bronze that night, and it was the social event of the entire month.

“I know, that’s why I thought you’d might like to go there.” He explained.

“Where are we eating?” Buffy wondered as Spike drove in the direction of the highway.

“I know this place about half an hour outside the town, really nice Italian restaurant.” Spike replied. “Unless you don’t want italian food?”

“Italian food is fine.” Buffy hurried to tell him.

“OK, good.” They drove in silence for a while before Buffy spoke again.

“I think we’re both nervous, aren’t we?” She said, giving Spike a half smile.

“I guess so. Don’t really know why, though.” He replied. “It’s not like we haven’t spent time together before, even alone every now and then.”

“But it’s different now, you know?” Buffy stated. “There are expectations, and what ifs.”

“We shouldn’t worry about that.” Spike noted. “Let’s just have a good time, and whatever happens happens, OK?”

“If it’s supposed to happen, it will you mean?”

“Yeah. And if it’s not... we’ll still be friends, right?” Spike looked insecure.

“Of course we will, nothing can change that.”

“Then let’s just go with it.”

xxxxx

“This place is packed.” Buffy noted as they entered the Bronze a little later.

The restaurant had been a cosy little italian place by the coast, and the food had been amazing. They had talked about everything and nothing, shared experiences of past dates and laughed. So far, the date was going even better than expected, and they both felt that same connection they had been feeling the entire fall.

“You wanna try to find the guys?” Spike asked in Buffy’s ear.

Turning arund, she realized his body was pressed against hers in the crowd, and their lips were only inches apart.

“Let’s dance first.” She suggested, taking his hand and leading him onto the dance floor.

A slow song started up as they got to the middle of the floor where they were surrounded by other dancing couples. Spike slid his arms around Buffy’s waist and she wrapped hers around his neck.


Come to me now
And lay your hands over me
Even if it’s a lie
Say it will be alright
And I shall believe

I’m broken in two
And I know you’re on to me
That I only come home
When I’m so all alone
But I do believe

That not everything is gonna be the way
You think it ought to be
It seems like every time I try to make it right
It all comes down on me
Please say honestly you won’t give up on me
And I shall believe
And I shall believe


As the music filled her mind, Buffy leaned her cheek against Spike’s shoulder, and he placed a gentle kiss on top of her head.


Open the door
And show me your face tonight
I know it’s true
No one heals me like you
And you hold the key

Never again
Would I turn away from you
I’m so heavy tonight
But your love is alright
And I do believe

That not everything is gonna be the way
You think it ought to be
It seems like every time I try to make it right
It all comes down on me
Please say honestly
You won’t give up on me
And I shall believe
I shall believe
And I shall believe


Feeling his arms tighten around her, Buffy looked up into Spike’s face. Their eyes were locked together for what felt like an eternity before he leaned down and gently kissed her. It took her a moment to react, but when she returned the kiss, they both knew that this was it. There was no turning back.


That not everything is gonna be the way
You think it ought to be
It seems like every time I try to make it right
It all comes down on me
Please say honestly
You won’t give up on me
And I shall believe
I shall believe

Please say honestly
You won’t give up on me
And I shall believe
I shall believe
And I shall believe
I shall believe