Author's Chapter Notes:
This series is meant to explain everything that happened between the time everyone was crying for the Buffster and till she was brought back.

Also this is my first ever fic so if it's different than my newer stuff that's why.
Part five of the series
Summer in Sunnydale


**Oblivion**

Disclaimers: I don't own any of the characters used in this story. I'm just using them for entertainment cause I'm an obsessed freak! They belong to UPN, FOX, Mutant Enemy, and the wonderfully talented Joss Wheedon whom I love and adore! The song "Oblivion" is by R.E.M. and is being used w/o permission for the chapter title as well as the filler lyrics throughout the chapter. Pier One does not belong to me either. Nor Does Bobby Night!


Ships: Not really that shippy mostly goes along with the story line but I'll list the ships anyway just so everyone is clear. Spike/Buffy, Willow/Tara, and Xander/Anya. Everyone else is pretty much on their own.

Spoilers: Through "The Gift" the season five finale. Some references to things said in season six, but none are really spoilery.

Feedback: Please tell me what you think about both the story and the series.
You can reach me at msbigbad@msn.com or msbigbad17@yahoo.com -- or join my site at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/bigbadhavens

Note: This series is meant to explain everything that happened between the time everyone was crying for the Buffster and till she was brought back.

Summary: Wackiness ensues as Spike and Dawn go shopping for new furniture! Also the resurrection plans begin when Willow and the rest of the scoobs start having secret meetings.

Thanks: I want to thank my best friend Lauren for giving me the strength to finish this series. Also she gets credit for making me a dedicated watcher of the show!!! So lots of luvs to her! Mwahhh! I also want to thank the cast, crew, writers, producers, and everyone else affiliated with the show! Thanks for making it the best damn hour of television ever. Especially James Marsters, which anyone who knows me can tell you that I am beyond obsessed with! He's a great actor, writer, and person!! To B/S Diaries for archiving my fics! I am soo grateful for all you’ve done! To FanFiction.net for also archiving my stuff! You guys are awesome! To all those who reviewed the story, weather the review was good or bad! I appreciate you! Send me more as I go! You keep my drive to write going! Last and most defiantly not least I wanna thank you for reading! Especially if you read through all of this crap that I usually don't read!! Lot's of love to ya! Enjoy! Mwahhh!!!

*********************************************************************
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Immortal hatred.
Longing for what I’ve won for you.
A shattered dream of greed.
Confess a faded bloom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She quietly closed the door behind her. Then she tiptoed down the stairs and into the living room. The rest of the gang, minus Giles (Who was gone to England), were waiting to hear her good news.

"C’mon, Will! What is it?" Xander coaxed.

"Shh!" She whispered putting her fingers to her lips.

"Dawn just went to sleep."

She moved a magazine aside and sat next to Tara, then continued.

"Now don’t get over-excited or anything, but I think, well,"

She lowered her voice even more.

"I think we found a way to bring Buffy back."

**********************************************************************************

The wind was cold on her bare skin. Her cami top defiantly didn’t provide much warmth. Her feet were wet from the dew of the lawn. It was so unusually cold for summer. The wind had tossed her hair all over and the bottoms of her p.j.’s were soaked and grass stained. She didn’t care though. She just needed to get away. She hadn’t talked to Spike all week. It was like he’d completely forgotten her. He didn’t come to the house, or walk her to the mall. He didn’t even follow her home anymore to make sure she arrived there safe. He stopped caring. Fine let him be pissed. It wasn’t her fault. She wasn’t the one that’d ordered a robo-Buffy in the first place! That was his idea. He was such a dumbass. She settled herself in front of the grave marked Joyce Summers. The grass was now luscious and thick. She pulled the dead roses from the antique vase and replaced them with some daisies she’d found in the yard. She remembered how her and Buffy would pick them for her mother when they were little. Her mom would put them in her hair and they would laugh. Except they didn’t. None of her memories were real. She wasn’t even real.

"She’d of been real proud of you, ya know." He said grasping her shoulder.

She took his free hand and pulled herself up off the dirty ground. Then she led him to another part of the graveyard. "C’mon. Let’s go see Buffy."

**********************************************************************************
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reminded day by day.
The scars just cannot heal.
Still unforgiving guilt.
Am I a child within your hands?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bring her back? As in alive?" Xander said with much joy.

"Yeah." Willow smiled at him.

"Okay Willow is now the leader. She needs a badge or maybe even a trophy!" He continued.

"Xander calm down! And besides Tara was the one who found it!"

Tara blushed under her lover’s gaze.

Anya went to Tara and shook her hand furiously.

"Thank you Tara! Now that he’s not gonna be all mopey cause Buffy’s dead and rotting in her grave we may fornicate again! Which means have sex but Xander told me that that’s a more acceptable word for having greasy monkey sex!"

Tara just looked at the ex-demon unable to say anything that would make the moment less awkward.

"Ahn. Honey." Xander said with a look of embarrassment on his face.

Willow spared him the explanation and continued with the plan.

"Friday night we could get a babysitter for Dawn, and then we’ll all meet at your place." She said pointing at her best friend.

“Why Friday?” Xander asked.

“I want to do some more research.”

"Well what about Giles?" Anya asked. "Don’t you think he should know?"

Willow frowned at the recently blonde girl.

"Giles is Giles. He doesn’t understand these things. He’d stop us. Now I’ve been doing some research and I think that maybe Buffy’s essence may have gotten sucked into the portal when it closed. That means she’s in a hell dimension. Do you really wanna leave her there? Giles will stop us if he finds out. We can’t tell anyone. Not Giles, not Dawn, not Buffy’s dad, not even Spike."

"Well that shouldn’t be too hard as he doesn’t want to have anything to do with us." Anya said skeptically.

"So what? I’m not seeing the bad there." Xander remarked.

A noise from upstairs sent them all into a jump.

******************************************************************************************

"Shh" Dawn warned him.

"Well don’t be shh ‘en me you’re the one who’s makin’ all the fuss."

He was hoisting her up onto the roof.

"I thought you said you’ve done this by yourself before!" He complained.

"I have, but I usually have shoes on." She said pointing at her exposed feet and brushing away the evil lock of hair that kept covering her eyes.

The light went on in her room and a red head poped out the window.

"Dawn! What are you doing?"

"I was just…ahhhh!" She screamed as she slipped and collapsed on top of Spike.

"Get off!" Came a muffled voice from under her.

"Uh…Sorry!" She apologized then laughed as she saw how much of the flower box he had on him.

"Yeah, right. Perfect." He said dusting himself off.

Oh great they had to have the talk again. She was pretty sure she had it memorized by now. She didn’t even bother to listen. She was still internally laughing at Spike who was still raking out the potting soil from the inside of his coat.

"So. Are you ever gonna do that again?" Willow finished.

"No. Never. I promise." She lied.

Spike gave her a disapproving look from his position behind the witch.

She turned around to face the black clad vampire.

"Spike can I talk to you for a minute?" Willow asked him.

He followed her into the kitchen away from Dawn’s staining ears.

"Look Red it wasn’t my idea. And I…" He began.

"I know Spike, that’s not what this is about."

He looked relieved. "Oh, well, okay then what did you wanna talk about?"

"You know how Dawn hates to be treated like a child and how she says she doesn’t need a babysitter?"

"Yeah."

"Well Friday night we’re having sort of like a Scooby meeting, and I was wondering, if you wouldn’t mind, if you could.. you know… watch her for us? Then maybe she wouldn’t think of it as babysitting." She explained.

"Uh -uh." He nodded. "So you want me sit the bit, but you don’t want her to know that that’s what I’m doin’."

"Please." The witch said practically begging.

"Alright but only this one time and only cause she’d be a lot happier with me than with someone else." He said puffing up his chest.

**********************************************************************************

"They’ve been acting really weird lately." She told him as she got the cheesy pizza out of the oven.

"Have they now?" He said with much interest. They where up to something he could feel it.

"They’ve been having all these secret," She made air quotes with her fingers. "meetings down in the living room since the other night. They try to act like nothings going on but I can see right through it!" She said proudly.

"You can?" He asked quizzically. How did she become better at this than him? He was all dark and stalkery.

"They’re planning to give me a surprise party! I mean why else would they leave you and Giles both out of it? Giles is just too old fashioned and would want to do something simple and boring. Like booking a party at the local library~ Hey that’s funny booking! And there would be banners all around that say whoo books are fun! And they sure as hell wouldn’t tell you cause they know you would totally tell me all about it!"

When the bit said a mouthful it really was a mouthful and hard to follow at the quick pace of her words.

"Okay for one I would not tell you! And for two they probably left Giles out because he’s in London right now. And finally they wouldn’t tell me cause the lot of ‘em damn well hate me!" He reasoned.

"Oh you know you would so tell me! And they don’t all hate you! Just Xander!" She argued.

"Thanks for makin’ it feel better !" He said sarcastically.

"And I’m not tellin’ what I’m gettin’ you!" He taunted.

"Please!" She whined.

If she thought that pouty lip was gonna make him give in then she was….. well she was… absolutely right. Damn her! Bitty pain in the arse! What was he gonna do ‘bout her Birthday? He’d been considering it for the past 3 weeks and found nothing suitable for a 15 year old girl to be doing with him. Drinking was out. So was killing things. Movies where dull. What the hell else was there to do? He flipped through the channels several times before deciding on Terminator 2: Judgement Day, which was the channel 11 Friday night movie.

"I’ll be back." Dawn told him.

He snickered. "Yeah, funny but it’s not time for that part yet. An’ it’s a little more like ie’ ll bea bagck!" He said doing a horrible Arnie accent. Then he saw her grab her purse and head toward the front door.

"Hey! Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where the bloody hell do you think you’re goin’?"

"I’m gonna go see what they’re up to!" She replied non-chalantly grabbing for the doorknob.

He was in front of her in an instant.

"Yeah, right. And I’m gonna go sunbathe and sprits myself with holy water!" He grabbed her arm forcing her to stay.

"Let go Spike!" She said through gritted teeth.

"You’re not goin’ out there! Not alone anyway. Give us a sec." She smiled at him realizing what he meant.

**********************************************************************************

By the time everyone was gathered at Xander’s apartment he’d managed to complete a plaque with Willow’s name on it. God he couldn’t believe this was happening!

“Everyone in favor of Willow as leader!”

They all raised their hands.

"Here you go Will!" He said proudly as he handed her his masterpiece.

"The boss of us." She read aloud. "Aw! Xander! That’s soooo sweet!" She hugged him and then took her seat beside Tara.

"Oh almost forgot." Xander said opening the door to take the trash out.

When he got there he found that the trash had apparently been waiting for him in the hall because there he found Spike.

"Hey! Hey! Hey! What do you think you're doin'?" He asked a little unerved that the whole plan could be ruined if bleachboy knew what they were up to.

"I was just..." Spike started.

"You were just what? In the neighborhood! I thought you were suppossed to be watching Dawn."

"I am you git!" He said pointing to the trashcan behind him.

"Did she put you up to this?" Xander asked, suddenly worried about the relationship between Dawn and Spiike.

"Yeah she did, but I have to say I was a bit curious myself!"

"You were?" Xander croaked.

"Yeah! So spill it already Harris. What kinda birthday goodies are you plannin' on in there?" Spike said rubbing his hands together and getting right up in the boys face.

"What!? I mean um. Birthday? Don't know what you're talkin' about. And back off Chipman or you're gonna get yourself fried." Xander quickly recovered.

God he was relieved. That meant neither of them had any idea what they were up to. And he had to say that threating Spike had been fun.

"Oh in your dreams Harris! Now don't play dumb with me. What sort of stuff are you gettin' her?"

Spike shot a glance at the teen croutched behind the trashcan. She was covering her mouth with both hands to keep the laughter from streaming out.

"Get a life Spike!"

"Oh can't I take yours? Been dying to take it the second I saw your scrawny ass!"

"That's it! You are getting out! This is my building and unless you're lookin' to get dusty then I suggest you leave it, now!" He was very very angry.

Spike paid no heed. "Free country, free party! And I'm not even invited yet!" He whined.

"And you won't be if I have anything to do with it."

"Fine! I don't want to go to your poofy party anyways!" I'll give 'er my own!"

"Oh yeah? What are you gonna do take her barhoppin' and then show her 10 effective ways to steal things!?"

There he was back in his face again. "Only if she promises to steal them from you! C'mon bit lets get out of wankerland!"

*************************************************************************************

"That was awesome!" Dawn squealed.

Spike looked over at her from his position behind the driver's wheel of his De Soto and chuckled. "Yeah that was pretty grand!"

"Oh you are so old!"

"What?" He said innocently.

"Why do I hang out with you?"

"Because I'm the most handsomest bloke in all of Sunnydale."

"You know that's not really boasting much!"

**********************************************************************************

"Oh --My--God! "

"Valleygirl much?" Willow laughed at Xander's dramatic entrance, or re-entrance actually.

"Ha,ha,ha,ha. Laugh now but when I tell you who was out in the hall you‘ll want to ravage me!" He bragged.

“Even you two!” He said pointing to Willow and Tara.

"Spike?" Willow asked without much surprise.

"Hey Will no fair! You can't read my mind that's cheating." He accused.

"I didn't. But don't worry he didn't hear anything. We put a barrier between the door and the hall. As long as the door was shut he couldn't hear anything." She explained.

"You..but...I"

Anya walked up behind him and patted his back. "It's okay honey. You know I admire other larger more manly parts of you more than your small pea sized brain."

**********************************************************************************

“You know they’re party sucked right?” She said popping a coco puff into her mouth.

“Yeah. You’d think with all that plannin’ they’d of gone all out.” He agreed slurping his milk.

“If it looked that dull from outside the window just imagine what it was like inside!” She whined.

A few minutes passed by with only the sounds of the chomping of dry coco puffs and the slurping of milk.

“You know what’s weird?” She asked.

He gave her the look. “Well, on the hellmouth, lots of things.”

“No. I mean.. well yeah.. But that’s not what I was thinking. I was thinking about how weird it is that I’m eating cereal at 1:00 in the morning. But for you it must be pretty natural. You know all breakfasty and stuff.”

“Well not really if you think about it it’d be more like a late lunch. And the cereal bit would be replaced by a screaming terrified girl.” He rationalized.

“Yeah I guess you’re right.” She said nodding and crunching another coco puff between her teeth.

She looked around for somewhere comfortable to sit since Spike was in the green easy chair.

“Ya know you really need some new furniture!”

“Well, why don’t you decorate for me! Give it that classic touch of half pint!” He joked.

“Yeah? What about the lack of fundage?”

“Have I ever paid for anything since you’ve known me?” He asked seriously.

“No.” She shrugged. “You just steal it!”

“Right. So we just grab a truck and go. A little after hours shopping if you know what I mean.”

“Uh-huh. So you want me to steal a car and then break into the Pier One where we can steal furniture too?”

“Yeah. So?”

“Cool! Sounds like the best birthday I’ve ever had!”

He hit her rather hard on the back. “That’s my girl!”

“So when do we start?” She asked.

“Well, I don’t know? I thought maybe after the pope comes and I’ve made him some tea and shared my thoughts on War and Peace.” He yammered sarcastically while grabbing his coat and tossing her hers.

“So right now. Got it.”

“Smart lil’ kitten aren’t you?”

******************************************************************************************

“Ahn, honey, what are you doing?” Xander asked looking over her shoulder.

“Looking for those magical things that Willow wanted us to get.”

His eyes glanced over the computer screen. “Do you really think you’re gonna find something like that on e-bay?”

“Oh yes! You can purchase anything here for a moderately reasonable price! I just bought my wedding dress, which you may not see because of traditional bad luck!”

He smiled at her. “Anya, that’s only if I actually see you in the dress!”

“I’m not taking any chances! You haven’t even announced our engagment yet!”

He sighed. How many times would they have this conversation? “I promise after all of this… stuff., is over then we‘ll tell everyone. And I know that… Oh my God! Is that a Backstreet Boys collectors edition lunchbox?!”

“Oh! And the urn of Osirus too!” She exclaimed.

“The whojamawhatzit?” He asked suddenly confused.

“The urn of Osirus! That’s the magical thing that I’ve been searching for while discretly shopping for the bridesmaid’s dresses! Now what do you think? Larva with strapless backs or maybe the Blacula demon skin?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tear my heart out, let me fall.
Keep my faith enclosed in walls.
Like a child within your hands.
Close my eyes and let me fall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Willow, are you sure about this? I mean, it’s a really dangerous spell.”

“I’ll be fine Tara! Why do you keep asking me that? I’m ready! I can do this!” She hesitated a minute before apologizing.

“I’m sorry. Didn’t mean to come off all Bobby Night. It’s just everyone is counting on me.”

“ I understand, but you know that messing with magic this powerful could kill you.”

“Like I said, I’ll be fine. And even if I’m not you’ve got to promise that you won’t stop me.”

“Whoa wait! I’m not just gonna sit there while something awful happens to you!”

“Tara, baby, I need you to be my rock. I can’t do this without you. You know that for this to happen we’re gonna need lots of power and that doesn’t come without a price.”

“But that price could be your life Willow. You could die and the spell might not even work. How much are you willing to pay?”

“It’s a risk I’m willing to take. No matter what the price I have to get her back. So what do you say?”

“You better not die cause I’m not bringing you back!” She grins.

******************************************************************************************

“Damn!”

Main Street was shut down for some parade the next day. The only way to get to their destination involved passing the tower.

“We don’t have to do this tonight you know. I mean we could just uh, just wait for another time.” He stalls.

“No. I’ve been scared for most of my life. Scared that my parents were gonna divorce. And then they did. Scared that I was gonna lose Buffy or Mom. I lost both of them. The way I look at it being scared hasn’t really helped me out too much. I can’t aviod going by there forever.

He nods in agreement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Into oblivion I urge.
For you I dare to feel regret.
A sacrifice I cannot fear.
How can I cure what you protect?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The car was getting closer and closer. They would be there soon. He was terrified. He hated that place more than anything in his unlife with the exceptions of Doc and of course Angelus. If Dawn could bear it then so could he. She was right. Can’t avoid it forever, which had been the innitial plan. He could hear her heartbeat quicken suddenly. Her small hand wraped around his larger one. They were in this together. They could make it. Funny how this seemed such a big thing to them after all they’d faced. But this moment was taking everything out of them. The car rolled to a stop in front of the Pier One. There was a moment of akward silence and then their heads slowly turned to face each other.

“We did it!” Dawn exclaimed! She then proceeded to do a victory dance while still seated.

“Yeah, I guess we did” He said letting out a ragged breath.

“Don’t be so gloomy! We’ve gotta get you some style and fast!” She giggled.

“Hey!”

“C’mon!” She motioned.

They both exited the DeSoto.

“First off that green tv chair you have has got to go.”

“No way! That’s the most comfortable chair I own!”

“Spike! It’s the only chair you own! Besides you don’t own it! You probably stole it too!”

“Got it from the junkyard!” He says offended.

“Even worse!”

“So! It’s not like I’m invitin’ other vamps to come back around for tea! I patrol! I find them. I annialte them violently! I go home and sit in my comfortable chair and watch me some quality television!”

“You are soo lame! And I’d hardly call Dawson’s creek and Passions quality tv!” She mocked.

“Hey watch it! And you’re not getting rid of my chair! Find a little somethin’ to match it or somethin’ but we’re not getting rid of a perfectly functional piece of furniture!” He argued.

“I don’t think I can match it! They stopped making that color of puke green thirty years ago!”

“Ha, ha, ha. Very funny! Get your narrow little ass in there.

“Can’t! Security system! Genius!”

“Bloody Hell!”

“How are we gonna get all this stuff to you’re place anyway?”

He promptly punches his hand through the glass of the moving truck and unlocks the door.

“Great!” She remarks with sarcasm.

“How long do you think it’ll take you in there?” He asks hotwiring the truck.

“I don’t know. Why?”

He knocks the door down and the alarm sounds.

“Well, the way I figure, the cops’ll be here in about ten. So shop quickly will you?” He smiles at her.

“ Oh my God! When Willow and Tara find out about this I am so dead!” She mutters to herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Immortal hatered longing,
For what I’ve done for you.
A shattered dream of need.
Moments without truth.

A mournful sacrifice.
The scars will never heal.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THE END

Concluded in part six of Summer In Sunnydale “Talk Soup”