The Scoobies were clueless on how to take care of babies so they turned to the one person out of all of them who knew.

"Mom!" Buffy yelled, entering her house with Alia in her arms. Giles came in right behind her, shutting the door. "I'm home and I brought a little surprise for you!"

"Buffy?" Joyce said, walking out of the kitchen. "What is--" she stopped, pressing a hand to her chest when she saw Buffy holding Alia. "Oh!"

"Mom, before you freak out..." Buffy started when Joyce ran forwards and grabbed the baby out of her arms, cuddling Alia to her chest.

"Oh she's adorable!" Joyce gushed. "Yes you are, oh yes you are!"

"Hey what's up?" Dawn asked as she came down the stairs. She stopped when she saw Joyce and the baby. "Oh, look at the cute baby!"

She walked over to Joyce, giggling and poking Alia as Joyce rocked her. Buffy and Giles watched in awe as Alia giggled and clapped her hands together as Joyce continued to gush over her. It was a few minutes when Joyce turned to Buffy, passing Alia off to Dawn.

"Where did she come from?" she asked.

Buffy answered, "Spike found her. Her parents must have abandoned her." She and Giles had already discussed that the truth about Alia would just worry Joyce. Until they figured out what Alia was, they agreed that at least one person would always keep watch and what better place to keep watch then under the Slayer's own roof. But they also decided that they couldn't lie completely to Joyce about what was going on. So they came up with a story that sounded believable---at least to their ears.

"Oh! You poor little thing..." Joyce cooed at Alia. Dawn hugged Alia closer to her body. Alia didn't seem to mind at all. Joyce turned her attention back to Giles and Buffy. "But why not take her to the police? Don't they have ways of tracking down those no good parents of hers?"

'Crap. Busted.' Buffy thought, frowning slightly before Giles spoke up.

"We would but as you can see it’s much too late to take Alia anywhere right now..." he explained when Joyce interrupted.

"Alia? Her parents abandoned her but stopped to give her name?" Joyce questioned. Something was going on, her mother instincts told her.

"That's the name Spike gave her." Buffy said.

"And why would Spike have a baby?"

"I don't know!" Buffy huffed defensive. "He's a weird vampire."

Alia chose at this time to yawn, catching Dawns's and Joyce's full attention. "Well, it is awfully late isn't it sweetie?" Joyce asked Alia softly. "But we are not done with this conversation missy." she raised her eyebrow at Buffy before heading upstairs with Dawn and Alia to fix up a bed for the baby.

When Joyce and Dawn were out of earshot, Buffy turned to Giles. "Well that went well."

"Yes well, Joyce is a strong woman with children of her own. It must be a mother's instincts that caught on to our lie." Giles replied, taking off his glasses to clean them.

"She's going to go all out to find everything she can about Alia, Giles." Buffy said.

"I understand that. But it's best to remain quiet about Alia's true history until we find more about what she is."
Buffy sighed before agreeing with him.

They said their goodbyes and he left. Buffy climbed the stairs and went to her room to see that Joyce had set up a little crib set near the window.

"Wha--Mom what's going on?" Buffy asked as she walked in.

"Oh Buffy, I hope you don't mind but I thought that it would be better if I put the baby in here with you." Joyce said as she rocked Alia gently. "I put her in Dawn's old crib.

As if by magic, Dawn appeared in Buffy's doorway with a small outfit. "Here you go Mom. Itty bitty pj's for the baby." She walked in and handed Joyce a pair of purple pj's covered with green monkeys.

"Oh thank you Dawn." Joyce set about changing Alia's clothes as Dawn grilled Buffy. "So where did you get a baby? You haven't been keeping secrets have ya?"

"None of your beeswax and no! Dawn, go away, you're being a pest." Buffy said, waving her hand at her little sister.

"Mom!"

"Girls don't fight. You'll upset little Alia." Joyce scolded as she put Alia down in the crib. "Now Buffy, I want you to take care of her tonight until I have a talk with Mr. Giles tomorrow. I want to get this straighten out."

"But--" Buffy protested.

"No buts. You brought her home and now you take care of her." Joyce walked over to Buffy and gave her a hug before pulling back. "I trust you. And think of this as a learning experience for my future grandkids." She left, dragging a protesting Dawn out of the room, closing the door after her.

Buffy blew out a puff of air before changing into her pj's for bed, making sure to make no sudden movements to disturb Alia. Afterwards, she sat down at the edge of her bed to see Alia, sleeping peacefully and smiled. She turned off the lights and pulled the covers over her shoulders.

~* ~* ~* ~* ~* ~*

All the way across town, the cult members gathered, distressed that they couldn't find the demon they unleashed on the world.

"We must find the vessel soon!" a woman with flat brown hair said. She turned to her brothers and sisters. "The time to mold and shape its views will soon be over---without the proper guidance---"

"We should have never conjured it." a man shouted i fear. He scratched long red lines down his face. "We doomed us all."

"Hold your tongue blasphemer!" another man hissed. He raised his dark green eyes to the sky, as if the answers could be seen in the stars. "We did what we had to. Its up to the Gods of the Sky to deem us worthy to find the vessel." He turned to the cult. "Our faith in them must be unshakened and pure. Those who doubt will be cast out and burn in the agony of betrayal."

He put a comforting hand on the man with the scratches on his face. "Walk in peace brother. All it not lost yet. When the Gods deem it so, we will come across the vessl. Until then, merge back into world, welcome the normality it brings but watch for the signs of the vessel. Should you find it, send word to the others and together as one, we will take back what is our right and our duty!!"

Chants and cheers sounded briefly before the robes were casted aside and candles put out as the cult revealed themselves to the night as regular, sane people of Sunnydale. They glanced at each other before heading out into different directions, never looking back.

~* ~* ~* ~* ~*

Back in Buffy's room, Alia stirred fitfully before she woke up and let out a loud cry.