Chapter 3: Traveling
Buffy criss crossed the nation, traveling from one interesting town to another. In the first couple months, she visited New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, and Colorado. When Anya had the baby, she flew back to California to visit for a week. Everyone was different. Everything was different. Traci was holding her own with or without the Scoobies. The old house was filled with Dawn and her friends. Willow had a successful career as a teacher, and Xander now had a daughter. This made Buffy realizes that her home was no longer in Sunnydale; her family was, but not her home. She continued to travel the United States until she reached Maine. Her favorite state was New York. Everything exciting was wrapped up in one small (umm… BIG) package. She came back to Sunnydale to visit, not staying more than a week at a time.

The last time she came and visited; only a year and a half after she left to travel, she gathered her family together to let them know what she was going to do. “What do you mean you are going to settle in New York?” Dawn asked quietly.

“You told us it wasn’t going away forever, that you were coming back,” Willow said at the same time.

“I know what I said then, I did come back, and if memory serves me correct once every three months,” Buffy pleaded.

“Yeah, but you stayed in a hotel, not here,” Dawn looked like she was about to cry.

“Dawn, this isn’t my house anymore, it is yours. You don’t need your old sis to cramp your or your friends’ style.”

“Oh, that is such a load of CRAP,” Dawn screamed. “You first go away on a ‘vacation’ then when we all seem to be OK; you decide to make it a permanent vacation that is sooooo like you.”

Buffy looked over at her sister with pained eyes. “I am sorry you think that. I definitely never thought that I would want to live some place else, but this past year and a half, I have actually grown up, taken care of my self, and so have you all. I will always love you, need you but this isn’t my home anymore. Imagine me coming back here permanently… I don’t think any of us would be happy.” Everyone averted their eyes, knowing what Buffy was saying was true. Buffy started to pace in front of everyone. “Look, I am not asking for permission, in fact, it is a done deal. The journal I have been working freelance for is stationed in New York and has offered me a full time position with full time pay. I HAVE moved there. I guess what I am asking is: are you going to come visit me and visa versa, or are you going to shut me out?” Buffy looked around at her friends, hoping one of them would say something quick before she lost her nerve and walked away.

Giles was the first to say something, “Well, you seem to have grown up, quite a bit,” he put his arm around his surrogate daughter and hugged her. “I would be honored to be a houseguest after you are settled. You could even show me those Falls I hear so much about.”

Buffy looked up with admiration and hugged him back. “I know I can always count on you,” she whispered, “and you can always count on me.”

Anya was the second to chime in, “Well, since you are offering free room and board, I think we will take you up on it too. Feeding a 13 month old is too expensive. I’d rather you foot the bill.” Xander looked up at his wife, smiling at her subtle way of showing her support. “Anything to lower the bills, right, dear?” he hugged Anya.

Everyone looked over at Willow who had tears running down her cheeks. Buffy walked over and kneeled in front of her friend. “Wills, please, tell me you will visit?”

Willow looked up and tried to wipe away the tears, “Oh, Buffy why does it hurt so much?” Willow wrapped her arms around her friend and hugged fiercely. “Of course I will visit in fact, I want to be the first visitor,” Willow said proudly.

Buffy chuckled and nodded in agreement. She was so happy that her family has accepted the change in plans. She couldn’t wait until they came and visited, part of her secretly wished they would come in fall when the leaves change color. She stood up and hugged everyone, “You know, leaves don’t change color here, but they do in New York. I can’t wait until you all see the beauty!”