Chapter 4: Times Changing
Since the initial acceptance of Buffy living someplace else, she has moved twice. The journal she worked for wanted her to move to Colorado to write articles about the life there. So Buffy packed up everything and went back the way she came just 9 months before. She thought it was fitting to move closer to her family, yet still be independent. Of course no matter where she went she couldn’t get away from demons. It was a well known fact that a new slayer was called and there was only one. But it did seem like she would run into one or two demons planning something evil that couldn’t be ignored and she had to take care of it. Nobody seemed to notice, since the demon population wasn’t extraordinary compared to living on the Hellmouth.

After a year, living in Colorado, she was approached but another vacation and travel journal that wanted her talents in Hawaii. They would increase her salary by 10 thousand dollars with added bonuses. Who was she to argue? She called her family and friends letting them know, packed up her meager possessions, and hopped a plane to her knew home.
~*~*~*~
She still lived there; he came up the street and ducked into a neighbor’s yard. He heard a familiar laugh coming from the backyard and peeked over the fence to make sure she was OK. Then he saw it with his very own eyes. The Bit, Watcher, Red, Ayna, and the Whelp were all sitting around the table. She wasn’t there. Bit seemed all grown up and looked a lot like her older sister, her smile, even her eyes. He took an unneeded deep breath and noticed his nibblit even smelled like her. He couldn’t take it. She was gone, really gone. This was the proof. He walked away with tears running down his face. This was not a good idea. He shouldn’t have come. He should have stayed in New Orleans and stayed in a drunken stupor and forget about what that demon was talking about. He should have stayed away, like he planned. After he went to Africa and got the chip removed plus his ’bonus’ for a job well done, he decided the best thing for her was that he wasn’t around. She would live with her friends and family. He would survive, barely. He spent his time traveling Europe, staying out of trouble. He knew he could feed off humans, but it seems that he didn’t want to. ‘Damn Bint took that away from him.’ He no longer had his bite. After a year, Spike made his way to New York and ran into his old flame, Drusilla. She wanted her Spike back just like old times, said the stars said he was lost. She would follow him everywhere that he went, pestering him about the good old days and being a family. The thought of spending any more time with his Dark Princess revolted Spike. Finally, Drusilla gave up and left Spike to his own devices.

Suddenly he was in front of his cemetery, actually, not his. Not anymore. He walked up to his old crypt. He wondered if Clem still lived there, so he knocked. No answer. He opened to door and peered in, no one, not for a long time. He breathed in to smell the different scents, yeah Clem was here. He picked up a slight scent… her. Even after this time, she still haunted his senses. Breathing deeply, he sat down near the sarcophagus and tried to remember the good times he had with her here.

He sat there for what seemed like hours remembering the nights she came to him to help her do something that the others couldn’t. Make her feel alive. He made her feel alive. Suddenly he heard a noise: fighting. He heard someone slam against his crypt outside. Without thinking, he ran out. He was always ready for a fight, especially tonight. Nothing would have prepared him for what he found as he rounded the crypt. A rather tall, red hair, beauty stood before him, glaring at three fledgling vampires. Her head slowly turned to his direction. She was THE slayer. “Oh goodie, another one. Four to one, I like the odds,” she quipped. Taking his advantage, a fledging launched him self at her, but was dust before he could get two feet from her. The other two started towards her. She was fighting them off while Spike could only stare. She fought like her: kicks, punches, snappy comebacks. She was perfection, just like Buffy was. “Hello? Isn’t this the part where you say, I am going to drain you dry or something?” The girl looked annoyed. She must have dusted the two fledglings easily.

Snapping out of his mind, “Oi, right, well I don’t do that. You just crashed up against my home and I was investigating the noise.” He stepped away. He couldn’t take another slayer. Not right now, she reminded him too much of his slayer.

“Oh wait, let me guess, a vamp with a soul,” she sneered. “That gets old. Even Angel knows better than try to hang that one up anymore.”

“Um, huh?” He couldn’t believe this girl. She knew of Angel. He guessed he tried that pity party with her, too. “Look, I don’t wanna any trouble from a slayer. I just wanted to see what was going on.”

“Honey, I am not A slayer. I am THE slayer. I wish everyone would get over HER. I bet you knew her. You are not a fledgling. You got away? From the stories I have heard, she didn’t a lot get away. You must be really lucky.”

“Umm, yeah, well, alright then. Have a nice night.” He backed away.

“Excuse me, she may have let you go, but that doesn’t mean I will.”

“Go ahead, do it already.” Death wish. If she wasn’t here, he didn’t want to be either. Not with knowing he should have saved her.

“OH. MY. GOD. You are SPIKE.” He looked aghast. How? What? “I am right, aren’t I?” She giggled. “William the fucking bloody is standing before me with his cheat puffed out asking me to end it. Holy Fucking Shit. I can’t believe it. Wait until I tell Giles, he is going to FLIP. Do you hear me, FLIP. When did you get back?” She even acted like Buffy. Hot and Cold. First ready to pounce and then stepped back and was having a friendly conversation. How can this be?

“Are you going. if not I am tired and wan’ to go to sleep.” He took his chances. What is the worse thing, she stakes him and then it would be over anyway.

“No, silly, you are Spike right? Giles will want to talk to you about, ummm... HER. He would not be very happy with me if I don’t give him a chance.” Then she walked away. She turned around and said, “Hey, Spike, come to the Magic Box after sunset, I am sure they will want to talk to you.” With that, she walked away in the night.