Chapter 9: Waiting
Two days later, Buffy still hadn’t returned Dawn’s call and she was getting anxious to reveal her plan, but she wished she could talk to Buffy first. Dawn already knew Buffy’s position on Spike, but Spike needed to know.

Spike decided to stay in town for a little bit, only with reassurances that Traci wouldn’t hunt him. He wasn’t feeding on humans and he barely came out of the hotel except to hang out with Dawn. From sundown to sunup, Dawn and Spike would be together. They talked about his journey to Africa, but not the result. Dawn accepted him as is, it did not matter that he had his soul. Dawn showed him the travel journals, Buffy wrote for and the articles that she wrote. Every couple articles, it had a picture of Buffy in some sort of pose. Pictures of Buffy walking down a road laden with autumn leaves in New York, Buffy at a roulette table in Las Vegas, Buffy ready to ski down the Rocky Mountains, Buffy smiling in front of Mount Rushmore, and Buffy swimming with dolphins in Hawaii. Spike still couldn’t believe the life Buffy and Dawn were leading. It was bloody magnificent in his opinion. Both girls looked happy. He knew Dawn wishes her sister was still around, but Dawn’s life wouldn’t be the same if that was the case. Dawn told him about the lives of all the Scoobies, mentioning things that were monumental. He usually was quiet during her stories, sometimes she wondered even if he was listening. But when she looked deep into his eyes, she could see his brain ticking away, filing all the information away. Dawn also saw something else, something that was bothering her old friend. “Spike, what is it?”

“What, Bit?” He absolutely had no clue what she wanted

“Something is bothering you? What?” She pleaded.

“Nothing for you to worry about.”

“Don’t give me that, I’m a grown up person, I can handle it, whatever it is”

“Dawn, please, don’t.” He reached for her hand.

“No, I know it’s there, tell me.” She was as stubborn as her sister. How could he tell her that he had to go? Everything about Dawn reminded Spike about Buffy. Her scent, her long flowing hair, her eyes, her mouth, her personality it could go on for ever.

“I need to leave, ‘Bit. I’m sorry.” He finally admitted.

“Ok, I’ll see you tomorrow?” Her eyes betrayed her voice. She knew what he meant.

“No, I need to leave Sunnydale. I just can’t. I’m sorry.” He stood up to leave.

“No, you can’t,” Dawn jumped up, “at least not yet.” She grabbed his arm to turn him around.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean,” Dawn was trying to find the words. “I’ve been thinking.” Dawn stumbled. “How would you like a tropical vacation?”

“W-what?” Spike spit out in disbelief.

“I mean, I have been trying to get a hold of Buffy to let her know you are OK and here, but she hasn’t been able to return my calls. And I know she would be so mad if I didn’t let her know. So I was thinking, if she won’t come to us, we go to her?” She met his eyes and knew she just BLEW him away. He stood there looking into Dawn’s eyes, trying to figure out what game she was playing, but finally he decided she really meant what she said.

“No, I don’t think big sis would be too ‘happy if we just showed up on her doorstep.”

“See, Spike. I know her, better than you. I know she won’t mind. I mean she will at first, since shocker!! But after that. She will be all good with it.”

“No, you don’t understand, when I left, we weren’t in a good place.”

“Oh, Spike. I know. I know more than you, it seems. She doesn’t hold that against you, she actually doesn’t blame you for anything…” Dawn trailed off knowing she said too much already. Spike looked at her, realizing the implications, but unwilling to put words to it, so he just nodded in consent.

“When?” His voice squeaked, damn his emotions.

“Whenever, I have a free pass whenever I want to come, so as soon as we can get you the proper transport, I’m ready for a little more fun in Hawaii.