Chapter 2: Then
Traci has been the slayer for the past 4 years. She was called right after Faith escaped prison and ran into a demon gang in Los Angles. At first, it was hard to get used to the idea of having two active slayers in Sunnydale. Buffy and Giles worked day and night training the new slayer for over a year. Each night Buffy would make Traci workout in the training room behind the Magic Box and then go out patrolling, getting hands on experience. Each day, Giles trained Traci in how to read prophecies and research different demon groups. Slowly, Buffy stepped away and eventually stopped being an active participant during training. Giles noticed that Buffy sent Traci out on patrols all by herself for nights on end. He finally realized what Buffy was doing, phasing her out so she could have a normal life.

“Um, Buffy…. I have noticed you have not p-p-patrolled in over a week,” Giles said as he took off his glasses and begun to clean them, “Is there something that is going on that you want to discuss?”

Buffy looked up from the table and the magazine she had been reading. “Oh, um, well,” she stuttered as she looked into her surrogate father’s eyes and realizing it was time to come clean, “Ummm, Giles, actually there is something I wanted to talk to you about.” She went back to her magazine and flipped it shut to show Giles the front cover.

“A travel magazine?”

“Yeah, I was thinking that it seems that Traci is handling the Hellmouth stuff. And Dawn seems to be doing OK with school. I was thinking,” she looks down at her hands fiddling in her lap, “that I might do some traveling. I’ll stay in touch and all; I just need to leave Sunnydale for a while. Maybe grow up a little by seeing the world.”

Giles put his glasses back on and just stared at her. Of course she deserves to travel, she has been been a slayer for almost 9 years. She has put her life on hold for others not only because she is a slayer but also as a friend, daughter, and sister. “Well, then, that sounds like a marvelous idea. You should go out and see the world. Maybe you and Dawn should go and visit your dad, where is he now? Las Vegas? You could visit the Hoover Dam and such.”

Buffy looked away and said “Um, yeah, Dawn and me can go see *him*, I bet that *would* be a wonderful visit.” She looked back and up at her watcher, trying to make him understand what she was feeling, “Actually I was thinking more like traveling by myself. Dawn is in college and all. Wants to spend all her breaks with her friends and all. Giles, I just need to move on, I am sorry. I feel the need to go… alone.”

Giles nodded, understanding the need to forget all the horrors she has endured over the past years. Loosing family, friends, and her loves. Preventing many apocalypses. Losing her life more than once, only to be brought back to fight more. Almost losing her self in the process of it all. “I think you would enjoy that. H-have you told anyone else what you are thinking?”

“Dawn knows, actually she talked me into traveling. Since Traci has been more than capable of taking over the slayer duties, it frees me up to do some soul searching. I haven’t mentioned it to Willow or Xander. They have their lives to live and they do not need to worry about me. But, I know I need to tell them that I am leaving for a bit.”

~*~*~*~
“What do you mean that you are leaving?” Willow exclaimed loudly.

“Not for good, Wills, just going to do some traveling.” Buffy tried to calm her friend down, “You know that I am not needed here like I used to be. I haven’t seen the world, heck; I have never been out of California.”

“B-but, what about us? We need you,” Willow looked hurt.

“I need you, too, more than I can say. But let’s face it. You have a terrific career as a teacher; your love life is on track. Xander and Anya are about to start a family. We haven’t done the Scooby thing in months. Traci has been able to take care of the Hellmouth. I think it is time for me to go and find myself. Since I was 15, it’s all been slay this and slay that, sacred duty blah, blah, blah,” Buffy got up and walked over to Willow to hug her as she tried to explain.

“I-I know…. but I can miss you, right?” Willow looked at Buffy with tears in her eyes, not ready to let her friend go out into the world alone.

“You better, Wills. I am not leaving for good, in fact, I was hoping you, Xan and Anya, Giles, and Dawn would come meet me someplace interesting. Maybe Niagara Falls or Mount Rushmore. Ohhh, maybe Washington, DC?”

“Oh, that sounds great! You will stay in touch, wont you?” Willow looked away, afraid of the answer.

“Now stop that Wills, of course I will stay in touch.” Buffy gentle hugged her best friend.

“Good, because you can’t go unless you stay in touch.”

Xander took the news of Buffy leaving a little better than Willow. He understood the need to move on. He had to move on from under his parent’s house. Now look at him, he is a successful Construction Manager, married to the love of his life that is carrying his first born, and they are ecstatically happy.

Buffy bought a new car to travel cross country, and gave the SUV she inherited from her mom to Dawn. For the next couple weeks her friends and Buffy sat down and studied maps of the United States and travel brochures so Buffy knew exactly which places she wanted to visit and others she wanted to avoid. She packed up her clothes and personal items, packed the car, said good bye to her friends and family, and headed out of Sunnydale.
At first it was hard for everyone due to the separation, but slowly, Willow, Xander, Anya, and Giles moved on. Each having their own life to lead. Dawn still lived in the house at Revello Drive, but her life was moving on also. Her college friends moved from the dorms into the house, just like Willow and her girlfriend, Tara, had a long time ago. She missed her sister, but knowing that Buffy finally was able to do something that she never was allowed to do, gave Dawn so much pleasure.