Author's Chapter Notes:
Yes, It's been awhile. So many plots and so little time.
Chapter 2

Buffy laid on her bed clutching her pillow to her stomach. Her tears subsided into hiccupy hitches. Her emotions and feelings felt jumbled inside her. Just when she thought things were going great for her, something came along and messed it up. Unable to help herself, Buffy tentatively reached out to touch Spike's mind and jerked back when she realized he wasn't with Drusilla, but in fact her mate was searching for Giles.

Buffy hastily rubbed the tears off of her cheeks and sat up. If Spike was going to Giles, maybe he wasn't as disgusted by the LoveWater spell like she had thought. Buffy knew she wanted to be with Spike. The persona he showed to the public wasn't who he really was. She had seen that in the past few days with how he had treated her, her friends, and her mother. Buffy jumped up, climbed back out her window, shimmied down the tree and headed off towards Giles's apartment. She hoped that maybe she would run into Spike on the way.

Buffy was curious how Giles and her mother were handling themselves. Their spontaneous elopement had caught everyone by surprise, especially Buffy herself. Her mind drifted back to the meltdown she had in the library with Willow and Cordelia.

(Flashback)

Buffy was bored out of her mind dealing with the library. She had even broken down and did her schoolwork. Horrors. So, when Willow and Cordelia showed up bearing extras on their lunch trays, Buffy had never been so happy to see anyone before in her life. The three girls sat down at the research table and began to divvy up the food.

"Where's Oz?" Buffy asked. She glanced at the library doorway in an attempt to see if anyone else was going to join them.

"Xander is still being an ass, so Oz is trying to talk to him," Willow answered. She handed Buffy a plastic wrapped sandwich. "Now spill all the details of last night!"

"Well, I was patrolling in Restfield, and someone put up a fountain in the middle of it. A huge one with a cowhead covered in stars on the top of it. Oh, before I forget, I made drawings of some sort of markings that you can research, Willow," Buffy said between bites.

"Okay, yeah. I want to know the details of you and Spike. I mean this is Spike. Grr Argh. Gonna kill you on Saturday Spike," replied Willow while she winked at Cordelia. She took a bite out of her sandwich while she watched Buffy's face.

"Yep, I know it's Spike, but you know death threats can be pretty sexy from the right person," Buffy smirked. Her mind drifted to that first encounter in the alley behind the Bronze; the clapping, the death threat, the overall bad boy quality that Spike had exuded that night.

"Well, I can see why you think Spike's sexy. His chest is quite well defined," replied Cordelia. She opened her potato chip bag, and she popped one in her mouth. She talked around the chip, "So, anyway back to what happened last night."

Buffy swallowed the bite she was chewing on. "For some reason, I took most of my clothes off and climbed into the water." She blushed when she remembered her brazen behavior the night before. "Then, Spike came along and I seduced him out of his clothes."

"Buffy, you little slut, you," Cordelia snarked. "There's hope for you yet." She grinned cheekily at the blushing blond girl.

"Oh, hush, Cordy," Buffy hissed. Her face flushed even redder then before. "We did some things at the fountain, then the Bronze, and then we came back here." Buffy crammed a potato chip into her mouth.

"When did you bite each other?" Willow asked. She'd seen the bite marks on the vampire's neck earlier when she dropped of Buffy's homework.

"Um, between the fountain and the Bronze," Buffy said softly. "Before I called you. Spike gets really possessive when you mention Angel." She giggled when she felt a growl reverberate through her mind. Even asleep the blond vampire didn't like her mentioning the other vamp.

"What about Angel?" Willow asked. "I thought you were serious about him."

Buffy shrugged casually. "Well, Angel has the mysterious vibe going for him, and he hid who he was at first. To tell the truth, I'm tired of sitting around the Bronze trying to figure out if he's gonna show up or not." She looked down at her fingers drawing a nonsense design on the table. "Spike's always been up front from the very beginning. He treats me like an adult and a Slayer, not a child that needs guidance. I think he's everything I've been looking for in a boyfriend."

"Um ... but he's a vampire, Buffy!" Willow exclaimed. "I mean, sure Angel's a vampire, too, but the soul. Spike's evil and tried to kill you on several occasions. Xander's all wiggy, and I bet Giles will be, too..." She trailed off when she saw the look of aghast on Buffy's face. "What? What's happened to Giles?"

"Giles ... he married my mother." Buffy exclaimed while she dropped her head into her hands. "The same mother who doesn't even know I'm the Slayer. My mother married my Watcher." The blond girl began to giggle hysterically. In a matter of moments, Buffy was sobbing into Willow's shoulder.

"Shh, it'll be okay, Buffy. You'll see," Willow said soothingly. She petted the hysterical Slayer's hair. Willow had no idea how to proceed with this. She knew that Buffy was close to her mother, and she had always thought it silly that they had hid the truth from the older Summers woman.

"Would you like me to go get Spike?" Cordelia asked hesitantly. She wasn't sure she was up to waking up a sleeping vamp, but she thought it might be worth a try.

"N-no. Let him sleep," Buffy muttered through hiccups. "I just thought that, you know, if Mom ever got remarried I'd have longer to get use to the idea, but eloping to Vegas. I didn't think that would happen. Oh my God, how did this happen? They can't be married. It has to be a big joke, like April Fool's Day."

"It's not even Thanksgiving yet, Buffy," Cordelia announced. "Did it sound like they were joking?" She watched the Slayer shake her head negatively. Cordelia came to sit down on the other side of Buffy. "Why don't we get together later and plan a wedding shower for your mom and Giles? I'll bet they'll appreciate that."

"You think so?" Buffy's voice suddenly sounded like the sixteen year old girl she was instead of the fierce Slayer warrior she tended to be most of the time. She turned to look at the brunette cheerleader. "Um, how about after school? We can go to my house and talk while I get ready for..." Buffy blushed brightly.

"More hot monkey sex?" Cordelia snarked.

(End Flashback)

Buffy stopped in the middle of the courtyard outside Giles' apartment. She could feel Spike standing in the shadows watching her. Buffy wished she had the courage to open the link to find out what he was thinking about, if he was there to kill her. "I'm sorry I ran away, Spike. Please don't hate me."