Chapter 22



“Yes mom………yes mom………yes mom………ye – I mean no, mom………I will………mom………mom ple………yes mom…please – PLEASE mom, stop fussing!

Yes I know you’re at work, but I’m fine, I’m lying on the sofa where you left me, I’ve got everything I could possibly want on the coffee table in front of me, TV remote control, magazines, phone, flask of tea, cold drink, snacks, my sandwich lunch, wet wipes, tissues, my crutches are on the floor, so there’s really no need for you to come home lunchtime……… positive I’m sure, anyway, Willow said she’d drop round after her last lecture, she’ll be here just before two o’clock………okay mom, take care, bye”


Buffy looked at the clock, it was 11.05am. Although she’d had a good nights sleep, she still found herself to be tired, so she settled down with the TV on low, she soon dropped off.

She woke feeling refreshed, she sat up, brushed her hair had a cold drink and a breath mint, it was 1.20pm, Willow would be here soon. As if on cue, the phone rang and Willow said she’d be there in twenty minutes as the lecture had finished early.

Willow breezed in, carrying two parcels.

“I met the delivery driver at the driveway………Internet buying! So, come on, what are they?!”

Buffy grinned and said,

“Well, I hope one’s a nice sweater, and the other is a men’s grooming kit – but I hope he doesn’t take it the wrong way – I just thought as he travels a lot, you know, a nice small masculine black leather bag to keep all his toiletries together in………put them on the dining table for me would you – I’ll wrap them later”

Willow did as she was asked and came and sat on the arm of the sofa

“Want a drink making or something?”

Buffy indicated the crowded coffee table

“Already got one thanks, but you go ahead”

Moving to the armchair Willow picked up her bag and said,

“No, I’m happy with my bottled water thanks, so – what’s it like to be home free?!”

“Well mom’s phoning every hour worrying she should come home, but I’m fine”

“What about your Coach eh?”

“What about him?”

Buffy looked up sharply

“You mean you haven’t seen the news or read a paper this morning?” Willow asked, opening her bag with all her folders in, she produced a folded newspaper and handed it to Buffy

Buffy opened it out and turned to the first page

“Oh my god!”

She was shocked to see the headline, that Coach Angel O’Connor had been arrested and was going to be investigated for over three dozen claims of sexual assault, on underage girls.

Buffy quickly scanned the names of the girls, she knew all of them, one stuck in her mind…

“God what a pervert, mom said he should be put up against the wall and shot!” Willow said, taking a swig of water.

“I don’t know Will…I can’t believe………I’m not saying it DIDN’T happen, but I can’t help feeling this is a few jumping on the band-wagon………see this girl here, Eloise Van Den Hauwe – she’d been at the school for about eight or nine months, not quite a year, anyway – so then her parents split up, and neither can afford to pay for their little darling to stay at the academy – I don’t know what happened, but she stayed another couple of months then she went – she’d made an allegation about O’Connor – now you’d hardly stay another couple of months if it were true, would you – she tried to make some deal, she wouldn’t say anything more about the allegations, if she could stay on free of charge?”

Willow looked philosophical and said,

“No, I suppose not…but – well, oh I don’t know. What do you think?”

“I don’t know – I haven’t made my mind up if I’m going back yet”

“You’re gonna change coaches?”

“I don’t know…you know it’s strange, I’ve loved skating, it’s been my life for over 11 years now, I know nothing else…but I don’t feel especially urgent to get back on the ice”

Willow looked surprised at this revelation

“You don’t?”

Buffy shook her head, and unwrapped her sandwich, passing Willow hers

“So have you heard from Dr Hottie yet?”

“Give him a chance! It’s still…um, I can never work it out are they behind or ahead?”

“They’re 8 hours ahead or 7, I forget but I know it’s ahead”

“He was operating today, some famous German footballer”

And so Buffy and Willow spent an idle afternoon watching TV and gossiping. Willow was just about to leave when there was a ring at the doorbell, and she answered the door to a huge bunch of pink and cream roses, handed to her by a grinning delivery driver

“Ooh – thankyou!” Grinning she took them over to the sofa

“I’m not going until you tell me who they’re from, as if I didn’t know!”

Buffy fished out the card and her stomach back-flipped and her heart missed a beat – the grin on her face gave it away and she just said,

“William!”

Willow saw her friend’s eyes dance and she couldn’t keep the grin off her face.

“So, what does it say?”

“S’private!” Buffy said, holding the card towards her chest, still with the big, beaming smile.

Willow didn’t push it, she just grinned at her friend.

“Okay well, I’ll ring you tomorrow, I have lectures all day”

“Thanks Will, don’t work too hard!”

“I won’t, say hi to William from me when he rings!”


******************

Idly flipping through the TV listings, Buffy saw that there was a film on that evening she’s like to watch. Reading about it, she casually reached out for the phone when it rang

“Hi”

“Hello baby”

A thrill rippled through her as William’s deep sexy voice reached her ears

“Hi – how are you?”

“Tired – oh, excuse me, I’ve just got in from the hospital” She’d heard him yawn.

“What time is it with you?”

“Getting on for midnight I think, hold on………yup, twenty to - I guess its 3.40pm with you”

“Yes, and before anything else, thankyou for the roses, they’re so beautiful!”

“You got them, oh good. I hope they didn’t get you out of bed delivering them!”

“No, Willow was here, besides, I’m on the sofa… So how’d things go – I mean I know you can’t tell me, well you could tell me if you wanted, but I wouldn’t understand, I mean I’d understand if
you………I’m talking too much ………you must think I’m a real –“

“Adorable!” he chuckled and continued,

“And the operation went fine, and he’ll be back scoring goals for his club in next to no time”

Buffy smiled and relaxed, she felt all tingly

“Good – so have you eaten?”

“Well, I’ve just sent down for some sandwiches on room service – Jeez, I tell you, I thought the Lacey Memorial Hospital was big on paperwork – oh, hold on, that must be my supper………………...Hi, I’m back…paperwork took me over an hour – so Travers allowed you home”

“Yes, and I got my physio schedule and my out-patient’s date for the 27th of January – was that your supper arriving?”

“Uh huh, you’re okay, the sandwiches aren’t going to get cold.

“No, but it’s very late, and you must be tired!”

William chuckled

“Just a little Kitten, but then I don’t have to be up in the morning – all I have to do is to check my patient after lunch, and then get my flight back to LA”

“Great! There was something I’d got to ask you…oh yes, mom said, do you have any food dislikes or allergies?”

“Nope, no allergies…and I know shouldn’t really say this, what with it being healthy and me being a doctor and all but, well…I don’t go a bundle on fish!”

“Oh me neither! – If I have tuna, I have to have stuff chopped in it, peppers and that else it reminds me of cat food”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. Look tell Joyce, I mean your mom, really not to go to any trouble just for me, honestly”

“Let her spoil you! She always buys enough food to feed an army for weeks – I swear you could lay siege to this place and we wouldn’t run out of supplies for weeks!”

William chuckled again, giving Buffy a nice warm feeling.

“So what time’s your flight?”

“Tomorrow afternoon, 4.10pm Lufthansa flight L119 to LAX – I should be in my bed at the hospital grounds around midnight”

“Then you’ll be staying here, won’t you” Buffy said

“Will I? - I honestly hadn’t presumed that-“

“But you Simply MUST! – By the time mom’s finished feeding you up, you won’t be in any fit state to drive!”

“But i9 don’t want to put you or Joyce to too much inconvenience!”

“Don’t be silly! We have a spare room, always on stand-by, and this time it’s reserved for you”

“Well okay then – what time shall I come Christmas morning?”

“Early as you like – I’m a real kid when it comes to waking early and wanting to open my presents, but I shall wait until you arrive – so you better come early!”

“Okay Kitten, you got it!” William yawned again and Buffy said he should get his supper and then some sleep.

“I’ll ring you before the flight, okay?”

“Fine, you take care now!”

“Will do, night babe!”

“Night William”

Buffy was beaming when she put the phone down – she’d been wondering how to approach the subject of getting him to stay – and he’d accepted with out argument! She couldn’t wait to tell her mother when she came in!