Chapter 46



Buffy had switched off her mobile, but that didn’t stop the house phone ringing…

“Come on, come on, answer!……………At last, Buffy, there you, oh!” Will realised it was the ansaphone

“…………Leave a message after the tone, and I’ll get back to you” (BEEP)

“Babe, is everything okay, what’s happened, I’m worried now can you pick up?………………Okay, look soon as you get the chance, ring me, please love”

Buffy could hear the concern in his voice, she miserably dabbed her eyes again and then blew her nose, but she didn’t pick up. He was going to leave her, moving to the other side of the world practically, and he was worried about her now? – Yeah, right, Mr Sensitivity!

The phone rang again, Buffy stiffened, if it was Will again, she didn’t know if she had the will-power not to pick up…

“Buffy, just to let you know I won’t be too late home tonight, the show ends here at ten and not midnight as I thought, hope it doesn’t spoil any plans! – I hope your interview went-“

“Mom?”

“Oh – Buffy, I didn’t think you’d be home yet, is everything alright?”

“Oh mom – Will’s leaving me!” Buffy burst into floods of tears again.


****************************


“It’s okay, doors aren’t open until six, and Marcia will be able to cope for half an hour, now what’s wrong honey, what’s this about William, huh?”

Joyce was sitting on Buffy’s bed. Buffy was sitting on her pillow by the headboard, her knees up, huddled, she was holding a tissue in a death grip and trying not to cry.

“He’s going to England”

“When?”

“Tomorrow”

“TOMORROW?” Joyce was shocked at the speed of his departure.

Buffy nodded, and Joyce frowned

“So let me get this straight, William is leaving for England tomorrow, because he’s got a job there – he’s going for good and he’s only just told you?”

“No, he’s checking out a job, he hasn’t got it yet”

Joyce’s hunched shoulders relaxed and she smiled

“Well then! Doesn’t mean to say he’s finished with you – I thought he wouldn’t be a callous as it sounded!”

“But what if he gets the job mom? – What if he leaves and-“

Suddenly the sound of banging on the door made them both jump

“BUFFY – BUFFY, ANSWER THE DOOR, PLEASE LOVE! - BUFFY!”

Buffy jumped up and looked out of the window

“What am I going to do mom? – Mom – MOM?”

Buffy turned but her mother wasn’t in the room anymore, then she heard the front door open and William say,

“Oh thank god you’re in Joyce, is Buffy there, she’s worried the hell out of me, I thought she was being attacked or something!”

Buffy paused at the top of the stairs, then went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror.
Good job too, she had mascara everywhere…

“Come in William, Buffy’s okay, look, let’s go into the lounge shall we?” Joyce said

“But she’s okay, only the way she put the phone down on me, then wouldn’t answer…”

Buffy washed her face and perched against the linen basket. Every time she thought that William was going to leave, fresh tears filled her eyes, making her nose all red and runny…

“………Mobile switched off, then the ansaphone, I didn’t know what to think!”

“I think, well, I think wires maybe have been crossed”

“How do you mean?” William turned on the sofa to look up at Joyce

“She told me you were going to England, about a job, is that right?”

“Uh huh, maybe, just to check it out, I haven’t said yes yet, or they haven’t offered it to me, so nothing is definite yet”

“But what if they did, what if it was…oh Buffy”

William looked to his left and saw Buffy standing there in the archway by the door

“Buffy! You scared me kitten!” he went over to her and hugged her

This made her cry as she hugged him back tightly when she opened her eyes, she saw the front door closing. William released her from the tight embrace and looked at her

“Why are you crying kitten, hmm?”

“Because…because you want to end it with me”

“Who says? – In fact, it’s the other way around if I recall rightly!”

Buffy frowned

“What – how can you say that – I love you!”

“And I love you!”

“But, what about the job, if you get it?”

“But I haven’t yet”

“But what do you mean, I want to end it with you, I’ve never said any such thing!” Buffy said frowning

“As good as!”

“When – when did I say that I wanted to finish with you?”

“You didn’t say that exactly…”

“See!”

“BUT!”

“But WHAT?”

“When I asked you about living at home here, with your mum…you said it was a great, and you’re loving it!”

“Well……doesn’t mean I want to finish with you!”

“I asked you if you liked it living in California, and you said, and I quote you on this, that you
‘Wouldn’t live anywhere else!’, unquote”

Buffy sat down heavily on the chair. There was no getting away from it, she HAD said that. She remembered when she’d said it too, they’d been shopping, and…and right after she’d said it, his mood had changed and he’d become quiet and withdrawn…

“But I didn’t know what you meant!”

“It was a simple enough question – and you gave me a simple answer, you wouldn’t live anywhere else”

“But I didn’t know what, I mean I STILL don’t know what you mean by it”

“I was going to, well IF I get this job, then I was going to ask you to come with me – but you said you wouldn’t live anywhere – oof oh hey – hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!” Suddenly his arms were full of passionate Buffy

“Can I change my mind – I didn’t know what you meant when you asked me that question, in what context you asked me!”

Sliding his arms around her waist, William said

“So IF I take the job in England, you’d come with me, to live?” Buffy, grinning her head off nodded William’s face broke into a beaming smile and he hugged her tightly.

Not surprisingly, William had absolutely no objections when Buffy stood and lead him by the hand upstairs…

*************************


“Ring me?”

“The minute I land, which should be…let me see around 1am your time, is that too late?”

“No, I’ll be up”

“Virgin Atlantic flight to London Heathrow…”

“That’s me kitten – I gotta go, drive back carefully, won’t you”

“Yeah, don’t forget to ring me…I love you”

“I love you too baby, c’mere!” William gave her one last kiss and then he picked up his flight bag and turned towards the VIP terminal.

***************************



“So how was the flight?”

“Bumpy coming into land, we hit a bit of turbulence…the in-flight movie was good though!”

“What was it?”

“Wallace and Gromit – I put it on by mistake, then thought, what the heck – it’s SO funny, we’ll have to rent it when I get back”

“Okay…when’s your interview?”

“Well tonight, it’s more a meeting over dinner really, I’ll ring you tomorrow”

“Night then, hope everything goes well, love you”

“Thanks, love you kitten”


********************


“So that’s settled then William, Quentin couldn’t recommend you highly enough, he said you were like the son he never had, and your skills were second to none, and the way that young footballer is playing again after one of your pioneering operations…We’d like to offer you the position of Chief House Surgeon – I have all the paperwork in my office, I’ll send it onto you, sign on the dotted line, and the job is yours….so when can you start?”

“Well Sir Clive, what can I say…how about next month – I’ll need to find myself somewhere to live first, of course!”

“No, the cottage comes with the job, unless you-“

“Cottage?”

“Didn’t I mention it – it overlooks the golf-course, three bedrooms double glazed, central heated, but it still retains all it’s essentially period charm”

“Well, the cottage sounds just the ticket – when can I see it?”

“Whenever you like young man! Just drop into my office, and I’ll be glad of the excuse to take you there!”

***********************


“……………Just like something off the front of a chocolate box, roses at the door, you’ll love it!”

“Sounds dreamy, I’m dying to see it!”

“Well, I was thinking…why don’t you book yourself on the next flight over, you’ve nothing important on, have you? - We can stay in a hotel, you can look the place over and see what you think?”

Buffy squealed with delight!


************************


VIP waiting room, LAX.




“Yes mom, I PROMISE, okay!”

“Okay, okay – I know I’m fussing…mother’s prerogative and all that…oh, and if you go into the main part of London at all, go into the Tate gallery and-“

“Mom! I know, and if I can, I will”

Over the tannoy came the announcement:

“First class tickets holders: British Airways flight 674 to London Heathrow is now boarding”

“That’s me mom”

Both women stood, and Buffy said a little nervously

“Wish you were coming with me…bit nervous at the thought of flying…”

Joyce smiled and squeezed her daughter’s hand.

“You’ll be fine love – and when you get back, you can show me loads of photo’s and that, okay?”

Buffy just nodded, and then hugged her mom.


***************************


She could hardly believe the luxury when she entered the plane. She had her own little ‘room’ for a start, and the luxurious leather seat pulled out into a most comfy bed, she had a mini bar, fridge with snacks, TV and a long, long list of DVD’s and CD’s she could listen to.

William said he wanted her first experience of flying after her last outing to be the best possible, and boy, he couldn’t have picked better for her! Silver service dinner, with real crystal glasses, she had smoked salmon and quails eggs to start, fillet steak with a red wine sauce and brandied pears with chocolate sauce for dinner, washed down with champagne.

The attendants were there for you at the touch of a button, and all in all, Buffy had the most marvellous flying experience she’d ever had. – In fact, she was sorry it came to an end, well almost, she was so excited to be seeing what was possibly going to be her new home………