Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all your feedback its been so great . Enjoy
The sound of Buffy’s pager broke the silence between them. She looked down at the message.

“I have to go there has been a pile up on the freeway. Its all hands on deck.” She turned to leave.

“Please don’t leave. Not now ,you just got here.” Spike knew he was pleading but he did not care.

“I have to go they need me in the ER.”

“I need you here.” She looked at him as he gripped onto the bed for support she knew he was telling the truth.

“No you don’t.” And with that she walked out the door.

Spike blinked back his tears as he layed back down on his bed and closed his eyes.

~

William opened his eyes slowly becoming aware of his surroundings. He felt the warmth of the person next to him. Buffy. She was on her side and had her arm draped across his chest. He smiled as he thought of what had led him to this place.

Looking back, he realised that he had started to fall in love with Buffy years ago. Perhaps even that first day they met. They had a connection that went beyond their common interests. She was one of the few people who saw beyond the bumbling boy that he felt he was. She accepted him as he was with the unruly curly hair, thick glasses and the bad poetry. When they were together, it was fun and natural and he did not have to worry about what to say or how to act. He could just be himself.

Thoughts of the night before drifted into his mind. Not that he had much to compare it to, but he was sure what they had experienced was more than sex. They had shared each other’s bodies. He had touched her and made her feel things that literally no one else had. Maybe she could love him.

It would not be easy at first. She was going to college half way across the country while he was studying writing at UC Sunnydale. They could make it work. Other couples did it. He could move to New York while she finished medical school. They could rent an apartment. His mind was racing at the possibilities.

Then her words reminded him. She had told him she did not love him. What they had shared the night before was not about love. It was about learning and gaining experience so that when they got to the real thing they would know what to do. Nevertheless, he had a feeling in his stomach that the real thing was laying next to him.

~

Buffy stirred half-awake, half-asleep as she snuggled into Mr. Gordo. ‘Hang on a minute. Mr Gordo is usually softer than this and not quite as warm and not breathing.’ She opened her eyes as she remembered the night before.

She blinked a couple of times to gain focus as she stared into his eyes. As she did, his other features came into focus. His lips -- had they always been so full and soft? The way his lips felt as they caressed her; the taste of sweetness of his lips as they kissed. As she stared at his lips, her body seemed to move of its own volition as if it knew what she wanted. She licked her lips in anticipation. The butterflies were starting an all too familiar dance in her stomach. Her mind was trying to focus but her body was yielding to its desires. She wanted this, the closeness, the feelings Will had stirred up in her. She wanted more. Nothing else mattered. She wanted him to take her, hold her, and kiss away all the fears inside her.

Is this what it feels like to be in love? Buffy stiffened and pulled away from Will.

“Are you okay pet?”

Love. She was in love with Will. This was not good, not part of the plan. She was supposed to have sex so she knew what to do when she was in love. She was not supposed to fall in love.

She looked over at Will. His hair was all messy from sleep and his face had some crinkle lines from his pillow. He had never looked so beautiful. Why had she not noticed before? She was not blind. In the eight years, they had been friends they had shared almost everything together. Why had she not seen his beauty? ‘Maybe because you had never seen him naked before.’ She blushed at the thought. The things they did, said, felt. All she wanted to do was curl back into his arms.

However, he did not love her. This was not about love. She had made sure of that. Why was she so stupid? She had made the rules of this arrangement. Sex, no love. She could not change the rules half way through. It would not be fair to him. No matter how much she wanted to.

“Buffy, what’s wrong?” He moved towards her gently holding her shoulders trying to catch her gaze. “Did I hurt you?”

She could see the concern all over Will’s face. Had he hurt her? No, she had hurt herself. The tears started to spill as the realisation hit her.

“No you didn’t hurt me, Will. I was just startled, that’s all.” She wiped the tears from her cheeks. “Not everyday you wake up with a person in your bed.”

“No, I guess not.” Will moved back to his side of the bed slowly becoming aware that they were both naked. He looked around the room trying to distract himself from the naked Buffy in front of him.

“So I guess this is the awkward morning after I hear so much about.” She broke the silence.

“That would be it pet.” Will got up and started to collect his clothes off the floor.

“You’re leaving?” Her question sounded more like a plea to stay.

“Yeah, well I can’t lie around in bed all day, can I?” He was trying to make his statement sound like a question. All he wanted was for her to say yes.

“I guess not. We both got what we came for.” She tried to hide her pain behind the words.

“Did we?” He stared at her trying to see some kind of sign that she felt the same as he. “Did you get what you wanted Buffy?”

“Yes. I guess I did. Now I will know what to do when I, um …” She could not find the words.

“Fall in love,” he finished her sentence.

“Yeah. When it happens, I will know.” She knew she knew right then how it felt to be in love.

“So it didn’t happen last night then?” he asked.

She was torn. Her heart wanted to scream yes I love you. Nevertheless, her head was telling her otherwise. Why was he asking her this? Did he want another go? She could not change the rules no matter how much she wanted to.

“No.”

“Well I am glad I could be of assistance.” He moved towards her. Just one kiss. Maybe if he kissed her she would feel it.

“Well, if the moans and groans were anything to go off, you assisted real good.” She tried to laugh but it caught in her throat as he approached.

“Buffy. Do you love me?”