Author's Chapter Notes:
Hate to sound like a broken record but thanks guys for all you reviews. Its been great.
Song in the chapter is Beautiful by James Blunt.
Enjoy
Buffy smoothed her skirt as she rode in the elevator. Dressing for her date had not been easy. She had a few dates in college, but not since she started her internship. It had been all work and no play for Buffy. After countless outfit changes she settled on a black knee length skirt with a red chiffon shirt. Outfit dramas aside. She was starting to regret asking Riley out for a date. Ever since she did, he kept calling her checking and double checking on the arrangements. He asked if she could meet him at the hospital after his shift. She tried to get out of it. She wanted to stay as far away from the hospital when she was not working, but Riley insisted.

She hopped out the elevator and made her way to the nurse’s station to meet Riley when she heard music coming from Spike’s room.

“What is that?” She asked the nurse behind the desk.

“He plays every night, sometimes the same song over and over,” the nurse replied.

“Surely the other patients are disrupted by it.” Buffy was annoyed.

“No, he asked the whole ward personally. No one said no to him.”

“They usually don’t,” Buffy rolled her eyes. “Disruption or not, it’s against hospital policy and I am going to put a stop to it.”

When she arrived at his door she stopped, he was sitting on his bed with his back to her. She stood there listening to his words.


My life is brilliant.
My love is pure.
I saw an angel.
Of that, I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful it's true.
I saw you face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

Yeah, she caught my eye,
As we walked on by.
And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last till the end.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful it's true.
I saw you face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.
You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful it's true.
There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that, I should be with you.
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you.

When he finished the song, she knew whom the song was about.

As he strummed the last cords, she spoke.

“You can’t do that in here.”

Spike was surprised as the subject of the song was standing in his doorway.

“Hello love”

She stood like a vision before him; her hair was out of its usual ponytail. He could see she had taken time to straighten it. Her face had a little more make up than usual on it.

“A little over dressed for work don’t you think?” Spike leered.

“I’m not here to work, I’m meeting a friend,” she crossed her arms.

“Really thought you would pop in and reminisce about old times then?” He sat his guitar down and sat back up on the bed.

“The song do you like it...” he started sounding hopeful.

“You can’t play it here. The sign out front says hospital not recording studio, Spike.” She turned to leave.

“You didn’t answer the question. The song, do you like it?” He tried to keep the insecurity out of his voice.

She turned and looked him in the eye. “Yes I liked it, but it doesn’t matter what I like.”

Spike laughed at that statement. “You mustn’t be a fan of the band love. If you were, you would hear yourself all over my songs.” He moved off the bed and limped towards her.

“I only hear them on the radio and even then I usually change the channel.”

“That’s a shame pet, if you had listened you would know how much it matters to me” He was so close she could feel his breath on her cheek. “Buffy after all these years its still all about you.” He whispered in her ear.

She looked up at him trying not to show the effect his closeness was having on her. “You don’t mean that.” She replied.

“Damn it Buffy, I am sick and tired of you telling me what I do and don’t mean. You did it to me all those years ago. I’m not letting you get away with it again.”

“What happened, it was for the best.” Buffy replied. “If I had told you, you would have stayed and missed out on the life you have now. Would you really want to change all that?”

“Told me what Buffy?” His eyes were pleading for the truth.

“You know what.”

“Tell me. I think I’m at least owed that.”

She pushed him away, angry at his words.

“What you’re owed could fit on a postage stamp Spike. From where I stand, you got the sweet end of the deal. You have sex with me, then full of bravado you pick up Dru from god knows where and start fucking her and you never stopped. You’re still doing it. I saw you the other day in this room. How do you think it makes me feel Spike? All these years you stayed with some random one-night stand. But me, your best friend, you could not even wait 24 hours. Then to tell me that I owe you. That’s rich.”

“Don’t turn this around on me, I asked you. Plain and simple, ‘Do you love me’ and you answered ‘No’. What was I supposed to do? Hang around and let the rejection marinate for a few days. Even now, you can’t tell me. Dru, she saw the man I could be and at that point, in time I wanted to be anyone else but William. Don’t you see, you didn’t love William, so what was the point? I thought if I change, made myself better, you would see the kinda man I could be.”

“I loved the man you were Will.” It was time to tell him the truth.

“I am still that man Buffy. I could be that man if you let me,” he moved towards her. He had her; she was going to be his again.

Buffy wanted to let all rational thought leave her when she looked into those eyes. ‘Could he be that man? What about the past 7 years with Dru, could she get past it?’ The questions kept swimming around as they looked at each other.

“Ready to go Buffy?” Riley’s voice broke them from their thoughts. “Mr. Giles, good to see that physical therapy is doing well for you.” He pulled a bouquet of roses from behind his back and presented them to Buffy.

“Lovely flowers for a lovely lady.”

“Thanks Riley.” Buffy suddenly felt uncomfortable under Spike’s gaze.

“We had better get going Riley. Night Spike,” she took hold of Riley’s arm and walked out of the room.