Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews guys :) Glad you are enjoying the fic.
Spike sat on the bed scribbling furiously away as if the words would vanish from his head if he did not write them down. His hair had grown; it was longer than it had been in ages. The blonde that used to cover his head now framed it like a halo. Hair stylists were not a big priority in a hospital. His glasses sat crookedly on the tip of his nose. Buffy smiled as she watched him push them up. He had had a nervous twitch since high school. He looked as though he had left badass rocker six stops back. He looked like William. She liked it.

It took her back to high school when they would sit on each other’s beds for hours talking about everything, nothing and the space in between. Sometimes she wished they were back there on her bed solving the world’s problems. Instead of now feeling like they were both contributing to them.

“Hey you,” her words broke him from his scribbling.

“Dr. Summers, I presume.” He moved his notebook and papers off the bed.

Buffy was a little disappointed as he took off his glasses and placed them on the side table. She enjoyed the trip down memory lane that they had evoked.

“I just finished my shift, thought I would pop in and say hi.” She had not bothered changing from her hospital gear, she stood there white coat and all.

“I’m disappointed pet. I thought the get up was to indulge my long time doctor and nurse fantasy,” she blushed, as he looked truly disappointed.

“Now don’t look so disappointed, I am sure I can rustle you up a cute nurse’s uniform. Maybe even a nice nurse in it.” She half joked.

“No, doctors are more my style.” An involuntary shiver ran through her, as he looked her up and down. “All those big words and fancy terms. It’s hot.”

Buffy agreed it suddenly had gotten hot in the room. She knew this line of conversation would not lead to a good outcome. She moved to a safer subject.

“How have you been?” she asked.

“Same old same old. Breakfast, physio, lunch followed by Passions, some more physio then dinner. Feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day without Sonny and Cher. At least when I was getting sponge baths it added some variety to the mix. How about you love?”

She sighed as she sat on the end of the bed facing him. Her body visibly relaxed as she sat. It had been a long day.

“Just come off an eighteen hour shift in the ER. So, you know peachy with a side of keen.”

“Wanna tell me about it?”

“You really don’t want to know about the two car accidents, four stomach pumpings and don’t get me started on the guy who ‘slipped’ in the shower and sat on a carrot.” She cringed as she relived the memory of her shift.

“Sorry I asked.”

He laughed as she swung her legs up onto the bed carefully not to nudge his broken one.

“Foot rub?”

“Thanks for the offer, but I will pass. Trust me when I say, you do not want to be near my feet after the night I’ve had.”

“You should go home love. Get some shut-eye. Don’t waste your time with the likes of me. I know how precious it is.” He tried to keep the disappointment from his voice. As much as he wanted to spend time with her, he knew she needed her rest.

“I know too.” She looked him in the eye to make sure nothing would be lost in translation.

“Time is precious, I know that. It’s why I am here, making up for lost time.” His heart warmed at her words.

He wanted to let her know that he treasured all the times they has spent together. However, he did not want to overwhelm her. She had just come back into his life; he did not want to scare her away.

“So have you finished it yet?” she asked enthusiastically.

“Nope, I was waiting for you pet.”

Spike smiled as he reached over to grab the newspapers crossword. It had become their thing. It made him feel good, not so much the doing of the crossword, but that they had something that was theirs. Something they did together that they did not do with anyone else. The pieces of the friendship that had been so strong were falling back into place. With it came the strength to put the pieces of himself back into place too.

Two hours and one crossword finished, Buffy yawned.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to be rude,” he smiled at the thought.

“Love, you have been here for over twenty hours now. I think I am the rude one for keeping you here.”

“What, did you tie me to the bed? No, I am here because I want to be here.” Visions of Buffy tied to a bed overtook his mind temporally. He shifted uncomfortably to hide his arousal.

“I should go; you need to get your rest.” Buffy noticed he looked uncomfortable, she felt bad for keeping him up so late.

“No stay, you look tired. Why don’t you lay down here for a minute and get some rest.” He moved to the side to make some more room for her.

“Wouldn’t the hospital gossips just love that?” She stood to leave as he caught her hand.

He tried to hide his disappointment at her leaving. He longed to be near her. Although he would never admit it to anyone let alone himself, he looked forward to this part of the day more than anything. He craved Buffy, to be near her, to talk to her, to hold her.

He pulled her back down onto the bed. He wrapped his arms around her. She responded in turn. They sat there revelling in the closeness of each other. Eventually she pulled back. There faces were inches apart. They looked into the other’s eyes. He leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek.

“Thank you Buffy. Thank you for this. For saving me. For forgiving me. I know I don…” She cut him off by placing her finger against his lips. He fought the urge to take it in his mouth and suck it with everything he had.

“Will don’t. What’s done is done. Time is precious; let’s not waste it on things we can not change.” She kissed him on the cheek and got up off the bed.

“Till tomorrow pet?”

“Till tomorrow Will.”