Buffy did not know when it became a habit.

Over the past two weeks, she had visited Will after her shift ended. Sometimes it when it was late, she would find him asleep on the bed with a note beside him. “Wake me when you get here.” She never did, could not bring herself to disturb his peaceful sleep.

When he was awake, she stayed for hours, catching up on the past eight years of the good, the bad and the ugly. They did stay away from two subjects, his relationship with Dru and her relationships in general.

She found out about his break up with Dru by reading it in the paper. Dru was no longer the bands manager and in the statement issued, she wished the band and all its members every success in the world.

She was glad her shift had finally ended, as she made her way to his room. She had not bothered to change from her hospital garb. She had found Will a present. He only had two more weeks of therapy to go and he was feeling better than ever. The down side to that was the boredom was driving him insane.

She had found the perfect remedy for it and as she looked at it in her hands, she could not wait to give it to him.

As she got closer to his room, she could hear the sounds of laughter coming from within. She stood at the doorway to see the rest of the band standing there. She recognised them from the CD that, not that she would admit this to anyone, was on permanent repeat on her CD player.

“Hi, I’m so glad you’re here,” Will gesture for Buffy to sit on the bed. She did not move from the doorway.

He looked happier than she had seen him in ages. He looked at home with his friends. She had grown accustomed to seeing him out of his element. It seemed strange to her to see him so at ease in his old life. She felt like an outsider looking in.

“I can see you have visitors,” she could feel every eye in the room looking her up and down. “I’ll come back tomorrow.”

“No stay, I want you to meet the band,” he could see the hesitation on her face. “Buffy, love stay.”

Will was oddly hurt at Buffy’s reluctance to stay and meet his friends. She knew she was not star struck. She had paid no interest in the band. He was used to people falling over themselves to meet him and the band. He tried to make her feel at ease. However, he could tell it was not working. Did she not want to be a part of his life? Ashamed that her friend was a lowly rock star, not some hot shot orthopaedic surgeon like the great Captain Cardboard.

“This is the infamous Buffy? No way,” the petite blonde that Buffy guessed was Anya, asked as she pushed her way through to get a closer look. She was not sure, but her hair was a different colour than it was on the CD cover. She took her hand and shook it vigorously.

“Wow, I never thought we would ever get to meet you and say thanks.” Buffy’s hand was going numb from the handshake.

“Oh well, I didn’t really do anything. I just saw him as he came into the ER its Dr. Finn you should thank he is Wi... I mean Spike’s treating doctor.” She eventually removed her hand from Anya’s grip.

“No, not for treating him silly. For being his muse,” she did not know what this girl was going on about.

“What, I don’t understand,” she looked questioningly at Will.

“Anya, back off,” he warned.

“Listen to him Anya. Hey B, hows it going?” Faith asked.

“Not too bad Faith. How are you?” she asked trying to block out the tension that was currently escalating in the room.

“Five by Five, B.”

“Spike man, you are rude, aren’t you going to introduce us to your friend?” Buffy smiled at them as if she did not know who they were.

“No need. I am fairly sure I know who you all are. Angel, hi,” she shook his hand. She walked over the last member she was yet to meet. “Xander is it?”

“Yeah, pleased to meet you.” She shook his hand. Buffy had a strange feeling that everyone was staring at her. She tried to subtly check that she did not have anything on her face.

“So what brings you here B?” Faith asked knowingly.

“Um, I was just checking Mr. Giles chart.” She moved to the end of the bed looked at the chart and started to leave.

“Pet, don’t go.”

“Its ok, you seem busy. I’ll come back tomorrow,” she tried to keep the sadness from her voice.

“To check the chart,” Anya teased.

“Um, yeah. It was nice to meet you all,” she started to leave the room.

“Who’s the present for B?” Faith stopped her.

“Um, yeah, someone left it at the nurse’s station. I thought I would save them the trip.” She did not want to reveal the real reasons behind the present to his band. She did not want to ruin his rep as a badass rocker.

She handed the present to Will.

“You don’t have to open it now or anything. It’s nothing special, probably a pair of panties from a crazed fan.” She was trying to sound casual.

“Looks like a book to me. Open it Spike, we want to see.”

Geez did that Anya chick ever shut up. She watched him as he ripped the paper off.

“Wow.” Will turned the book over carefully trying not to damage it.

“A book, how boring,” Anya interjected.

“Not just any book. It’s the first edition of Great Expectations, my favourite,” Will looked at Buffy.

“Thank you.” His gaze was causing her to blush.

“I didn’t, I just delivered it,” she lied.

“I didn’t know you could read bleach boy.” Angel teased.

“I do, very well in fact,” he never broke his gaze with Buffy.

“I guess you will have tons of time to do that on tour next month.” Xander looked up from his magazine.

“Tour?” Buffy sounded surprised. Over the past weeks, they had spoken about most things going on in their lives. Not once had he mentioned a tour.

“We are starting back our tour love. I was going to tell you, the details have only just come through.” Buffy started to back from the room. He was going again. What had she expected, for him to live in the hospital for the rest of his life?

That is when it hit her, reality. As much as Will could be himself here in the safety of the hospital, he had a life, a job. She looked at his band mates and pondered the life he lived. Tours, groupies, a new town every week, she did not belong not in that world. Not with him.

“How long?” she asked.

“Not long love. You can come visit anytime…” he started.

“How long Spike?” Hearing that name on her lips caused him to wince.

“Nine.”

“Nine weeks!”

“No love, nine months.”