Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks guys for all your reviews and for sticking with it. Trust me :) Song is called Ten Days by Missy Higgins
‘The more things change the more they stay the same.’ Buffy thought as she stood in her old room. She had returned to Sunnydale for a visit. After finishing her internship at the hospital, she had taken a few weeks off before she started her new position at NYU Hospital.

Her mom was more than pleased. She had not been home to visit for such a long time. She had made a huge fuss that her eldest daughter was coming home to visit and a doctor no less! As she stood in the room looking at the New Kids on the Block posters and teddy bears on the bed, she felt more like a little girl than the doctor she was.

She moved over to her vanity mirror looking at the photos that were stuck on it. She smiled to herself as the memories flooded back to her. There was one of her and Will one Halloween dressed as Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-dumb, that memory caused her to shiver. It was the other reason she had avoided coming home.

Will.

This room, her bedroom where everything had changed and could never go back. It had been eighteen months since their goodbye and she had not seen him in person since.

She had tried to move on and forget that he existed. Just like before. Throwing herself into her work and shutting herself off to the pain in her heart.

In typical Will style, he had not made it easy. The band hit it big. Really big, on every cover of a magazine big. She had seen him everywhere. He was hard to miss.

After the tour had finished, the band released their biggest album to date.

She could still recall the first time she heard the single. Driving home from work, his voice came across the radio.

So we've put an end to it this time.
I'm no longer yours and you're no longer mine.
You said this hill looks far too steep
if I'm not even sure it's me you wanna keep.
And it's been ten days without you in my reach,
and the only time I've touched you is in my sleep.

But time has changed nothing at all -
you're still the only one that feels like home.
I've tried cutting the ropes and
I let you go but you're still the only one
that feels like home.

You won't talk me into it next time,
if I'm going away your heart’s coming too.
'Cos I miss your hands I miss your face.
When I get back let's disappear without a trace.

'Cos it's been ten days without you in my reach,
and the only time I've touched you is in my sleep.

But time has changed nothing at all -
you're still the only one that feels like home.
I've tried cutting the ropes,
tried letting go but you're still the only one
that feels like home.

So tell me, did you really think...
oh tell me, did you really think
I had gone when you couldn't see me any more?
When you couldn't...

'Cos baby time has changed nothing at all -
you're still the only one that feels like home.
And I've tried cutting the ropes,
I let you go but you're still the only one
that feels like home, yeah,
you're still the only one that feels like home,
you're still the only one I've gotta love.

Her grip on the steering wheel tightened as the sobs escaped from her. Her vision blurred and she pulled over onto the side of the road, her mind was spinning.

Was that how he felt? If that was the case, then why did he leave? Why couldn’t he tell her instead of telling the whole world?

Things got much harder. The album was called “Late Night Crossword Puzzle”, it did not take Buffy long to figure out its interpretation. The single called “Ten Days” went to number one and stayed there for too many weeks to count.

The second single “Beautiful”, which he had sung to her in the hospital so long ago, went just as well. It was if he was punishing her with his music. However, she knew that was not the truth.

Then there were the awards, the Grammy’s, the MVA’s, the Billboard and American Music Awards. It seemed as though all Will had to do was turn around and someone was handing him an award. It looked as though he had everything he could ever want. However, she could tell something was missing.

One night after she got home after a late shift, she saw him being interviewed on Jay Leno. She saw him sitting on the couch looking very nervous and very handsome. The hair had gone back to its ‘natural’ platinum blonde.

He looked good. Good, but not happy.

“So Spike, tell us, the single ‘Beautiful’, is it inspired by any one in particular?”

Spike shifted nervously in his seat. Buffy would have sworn that if he were wearing his glasses that he would have pushed them up his nose.

“Yes it is Jay.” He answered.

“Wow, she must feel lucky having a song written about her.” Jay inquired.

“Wouldn’t know mate, never asked her.” His tone turned cold.

She stood up turned the TV off at that point, not wanting to hear all the details of their relationship turned into a comedy fodder.

Did she feel lucky? Not really. Heartbroken yes. Stupid for letting her fears cheat her out of a relationship that could have been so many great things.

She shook the negative thoughts from her head. They would lead to nowhere, nowhere productive anyway.

She grabbed her bag and started unpacking her bag, as she unzipped it. She pulled her copy of Great Expectations from it. Well, not so much hers, but Will’s. She could not bring herself to part with it even though he had had no such problems. She had not had a chance to read it. She had brought it on vacation in a vein attempt to get some reading done. She placed it on her bed and continued to unpack her bag.

She heard the door open. Not bothering to look up, she continued to empty her bag as she spoke.

“I’ll be down in a second mom just want to pack away my things.”

The voice she heard in response was not the one she was expecting and sent shivers down her spine.

“Hello love.”