Author's Chapter Notes:
Almost there guys one more chapter and we are done. I think ! Enjoy
Will moved towards her, “Well, is there?” He kept moving closer. He searched her face trying to find any clues as to what was going on in her mind.

“I want there to be.” Buffy answered, “But nothing has changed.”

“I know.” He reached out and cupped her cheek in his hands. She leaned in, closing her eyes while welcoming his touch. “That should tell you everything.”

“What do you mean?” She opened her eyes.

“I love you as much as I did that last night I saw you in the hospital. I tried to move on, find someone else.”

“Did you?” Buffy felt panic rise within her. Had he found someone else? Was it any of her business if he had? She was the one who had created this mess. She asked him to leave. Her fears had cheated her from being a part of his life. “Did you find someone else?”

“No!” The pain and loneliness was visible in his stare. He stepped back from her and started pacing the room.

“I would go out, talk to people, women. I would talk to them because I couldn’t talk to you. As lonely as I was, I knew I would only feel more if I found someone else. Every time I looked at them, it would remind me that I was not with you.” His tears remained unshed.

Buffy had no words; her head was swimming, trying to compute all of her feelings, as well as the ones that Will had just revealed. She rubbed her temples.

“I don’t know what to say.” She figured the truth was a good place to start.

He stopped pacing and stared out the window. “Why did you come back to the hospital room?”

She sat down on her bed and sighed.

“I made a mistake,” she whispered. She kept looking at the carpet trying to count how many squares there were on the print. She knew one look at him and she would not be able to get out of this.

“Pardon?” He asked.

“I made a mistake. That night when I got home, I realised I had made the biggest mistake in my life. But when I got there, it was too late, you had already left.” ‘23, 24, 25 squares who knew?’

“Why didn’t you track me down?” He moved over and knelt down beside her.

She picked up the book. “It was in the trash, I just figured you didn’t want to see me ever again. Not that I could blame you. It was what I thought I wanted.”

“What do you want Buffy?” His stare was unnerving. She tried to look away but was unable to.

“What I want? I don’t think I know any more. When you left the first time, all I wanted was to forget about you. Focus on my degree to become a doctor and that would be enough.” Her frustration and confusion clear in her voice.

“Is it enough Buffy?”

“I used to think so. I was travelling along fine believing that what I had in my life was great and to a certain extent it was. However, it felt like something was missing.”

“I know what you mean. Sometimes I look at my life and think what I am missing. I have done that for most of my life.” He took her hand in his.

“The only time I didn’t feel it was when I was in that hospital. Battered and broken with my career potentially on the skids and it was the happiest I have been in years.”

“Really? Why was that?”

Will chuckled at her question, “For someone with a Doctorate in Medicine you are pretty stupid. You, us, we fit together. When we are not apart of each other’s lives, we are not complete. I need you in my life Buffy.”

“What does that mean, ‘In your life’,” she asked, afraid of the answer.

“What do you want it to mean?” He asked serving the ball back into her court.

“We can’t talk in riddles here Will. I am scared.” She pulled her hand away and wrapped them around herself.

“What is there to be scared of love?”

“I am scared of needing you. For so long, I had to do it all by myself, be strong because I didn’t have the choice. Now I have the choice and I am scared of being weak. Needing someone in my life, admitting I can’t do it on my own.”

“Sometime the strongest thing we can do is ask for help. You can do all these things on your own, no question about that. You have proved it to yourself and everyone around you ten times over. The question now is why would you want to be alone, if you don’t have to?”

“I don’t have to?”

“No, you don’t, Buffy. I love you, never stopped. I went to the end of the world and back and all the space in between and you know the one thing that never changed?”

“The McDonald’s Happy Meal?” She joked.

He laughed. “Well, that and I love you. I want you and most of all I need you.”

She looked down at him kneeling on the floor and then she took in her surroundings, her room, and their sanctuary for so many years growing up. They had taken very separate and very different journeys, but had ended up in the same place. Together.

“I need you too Will,” she leant down and took his face into her hands and kissed him.

Will pulled her down onto the floor with him. Never breaking their embrace, he rolled on top of her. Kissing her senseless. She closed her eyes and took in all the sensations that were coursing through her. He was right. There was something missing when they were apart, all the pieces of her heart were fitting back into place as they kissed.

His mouth made its way down her neck as his hands started undoing her shirt. He pulled up and took her in.

“You are the most beautiful women I have ever seen.”

She blushed at the complement. She closed her eyes and waited for the kissing to recommence.

“Buffy, get up off the floor love,” when she opened her eyes, she saw Will standing over her offering his hand. Buffy felt the sting of rejection though her body.

“I can do it myself,” she pulled herself up to her feet. “I knew I couldn’t trust you j--” she was cut off by his lips on hers.

“Not telling you ‘no’ love.” He pulled back and looked her in the eyes. “When I make love to you, I want it to be right. Not some quick fumble on your bedroom floor.”

“Oh, so you still want me, just not on the floor.” The penny dropped.

“I am sure that sometime in the not so distant future I will want you on the floor, but here and now I want to make love to you in a bed.” He took her hand and led her over to her bed.

The bed they had sat and shared secrets, the same bed they had learnt about themselves, the bed where they first became lovers and not only to each other. It seemed the most natural place in the world to begin their relationship.