Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews. I won't give too much away but hang in there all will be revealed in due time.
Buffy closed her eyes as she felt the warm water wash over her body. After pulling a double shift at the hospital this was the part of the day she loved the most. Standing under the shower and letting the day and all its stress wash away down the drain. Today was no exception.

For some reason every time she closed her eyes there he was… lying on the stretcher, his eyes staring into hers. Her name whispered on his lips. It made her remember a time when they were different people with different hopes and dreams. It took her back to her room lying in his arms.

~

“Are you Buffy?” the nurse asked as Drusilla stormed into Spike’s hospital room.

“No I’m not. I’m Drusilla Simons, Spike’s fiancé.” She looked down her nose at the nurse who was checking Spike’s temperature. “Why do you ask?”

“It’s just that’s the name he has been calling out since he was brought back from the OR. I just assumed you were her,” the nurse replied.

“Well that was your first mistake. I hope you don’t make any more. I could have lost my Spike today. I don’t want some half-witted nurse looking after him.” Drusilla was getting angrier by the second and as much as she wanted to blame it on the nurse in front of her, in her heart she knew the real reason.

“Buffy.” Drusilla turned her head and looked toward Spike for the first time.

What she saw was a shell of the man she knew. His face was swollen; he had a black eye and cut lip, which was the worst of the facial injuries. ‘At least the cheekbones weren’t broken,’ she thought to herself. Then she looked at his leg. She could see where the incisions had been made to insert the pins.

How long before he could walk? They were in the middle of a three-month tour. He couldn’t let anyone down. She needed answers fast; she was already fielding calls from the media outlets. She noticed his chart and opened it. The first thing she saw made her sick to the stomach.

Admitting ER doctor: Elizabeth Summers.

~

Buffy finally stepped out of the shower, her muscles somewhat relaxed. She felt halfway human again. She turned on the TV to unwind.

“Breaking News. CNN as just learned that the band “Dingoes Ate My Baby” has been involved in a road accident. The details are scarce at this time, but we have reason to believe that no one was killed. Lead singer Spike Giles has been taken to the hospital and is in surgery. We will update when further information comes to hand.”

Buffy sighed. Even at home she couldn’t get away from him. All Buffy wanted was to be in a world where William ‘Spike’ Giles didn’t exist.

That had been an easy task in college. Nothing helped mend a broken heart better than hard work and she worked hard. She buried the pain of losing Will by hitting the books. Every essay she aced and every midterm she passed made the memories of Will fade away. She was strong; she didn’t need Will, or anyone for that matter, to hurt her like that again.

It was a good system. By the end of her first year the ache had left her. She felt she was moving on. That’s when she turned on the TV and saw him -- “Spike Giles” lead singer of Dingoes Ate my Baby and the tears began to flow as though he had left her yesterday.

~

“I don’t want Dr. Summers anywhere near my fiancé do you understand?!” Drusilla was at the nurses’ station speaking to the head of the ward. “In fact due to the huge celebrity that he is, no one is to go into that room without checking with me first. I won’t have his care jeopardised by crazed fans and autograph hunters harassing him!” Drusilla looked at the nurse. “Do you understand me?”

“Yes, Ms. Simons, we understand. I will just have to clear it with Mr. Giles’ doctor.” The nurse picked up the phone to call.

“And who might his doctor be?”

“Dr. Riley Finn.” Drusilla turned around to see Dr. Finn bounding down the corridor hand outstretched. “Pleased to meet you, Miss…?”

“Simons… Drusilla Simons. I am Spike’s fiancée and manager.”

“Pleased to meet you. Mr. Giles is going to be fine. Besides the broken leg he just has some minor cuts and bruises. In six weeks he will be back on his feet and as good as new.” Drusilla looked at him in shock.

“Six weeks…. What do you mean six weeks?! Listen, Dr. Finn, I don’t know what kind of a rock you live under, but Spike is in the middle of a three-month tour. He can’t take six weeks to get back on his feet!”

Drusilla was really starting to get pissed off with this guy. Where did he get off telling her what was going to happen to Spike? That was her job.

“Ms. Simons, what you fail to realise that your fiancé is very lucky to, one be alive, two able to walk, and three only have a broken tibia and fibia. Now as much as I can do, the body can only heal itself within a certain time frame. I am sorry but the fact he is a rock star on tour does not make his body heal any faster.”

Dr. Finn turned to the nurses. “Keep him on two hourly obs and call me when he wakes. Nice to meet you, Ms. Simons. I am sure we will be speaking again.”

Drusilla watched the Doctor walked away. It wasn’t bad enough that Spike had broken his leg and was going to be out of action for six weeks, but she also had to deal with the small problem of his being in the same hospital where his first love worked.

~

Buffy was awakened from her sleep by the ringing of the phone.

“I just saw the news. Were you there? Did you see him? What did he say?” Willow sounded frantic.

Buffy was still trying to wake up when she replied. “Willow what are you talking about?”

Buffy sat up on the couch that had temporarily become her bed for the night.

“William. I saw the news is he all right? Did you see him? Are you all right?”

Buffy took a deep breath and thought about her answer. “Yes. Yes… and I don’t know.”

Willow sighed on the other end of the phone. “Buffy, that’s not an answer.”

“I know. It just threw me for a loop. One minute he’s some random accident victim and then literally in the blink of an eye he’s Will lying there.” Buffy closed her eyes reliving the memory.

“But he is not that man any more, Willow. He made it clear to me all those years ago. I didn’t treat Will. I treated Spike today and Spike is not the guy I loved so I guess I’m fine.” Buffy seemed almost convinced by her answer.

“So are you going to visit him?” Willow asked.

“No! Why would I? I don’t visit any of the other patients I treat,” Buffy answered.

“I know, Buff, but you weren’t in love with any of the other patients you treated either.”