Author's Chapter Notes:
I know I have been teasing but there is history covered in this chapter. Flashbacks are in italics.
Also if you have already read the first 3 chaps have another look at them as I have made some changes to them.
Thanks for all the reviews!
Buffy sat on her bed flicking through her diary whilst William continued to study the Industrial Revolution.

“So how’s next Friday?”

William looked up from his book. “How’s next Friday for what, luv?”

“Sex.” Buffy rolled her eyes. It had been a week since William had agreed to have sex with her but since then there had been no more discussion of the matter.

“What do you mean sex?” William asked.

“You know… you and me having it.” Buffy looked at William.

“Sex?”

“Yes, William! For someone whose best subject is English you are really struggling to put two words together. What’s wrong with you? Don’t you want to have …?”

“Sex.” William finished her sentence as he stared into space.

“Hello? I thought we agreed on this last week! Geez, William. If I didn’t know you better I’d say you didn’t want to have …” Buffy was growing more and more frustrated.

“Sex.” For William the word kept going around and around in his head and the more it went round the more it kept growing. He could see Buffy naked beneath him, her hair spread out on the pillow and her eyes full of desire for him.

“William?”

He was snapped from his trance at the sound of his name. He looked up and saw Buffy looking at him

“So when are we going to do this?”

At that point William knew what he wanted. He wanted the fantasy to be a reality. He stood up grabbed Buffy and pulled her to him crushing his mouth against hers.

Buffy didn’t know what had hit her. One minute she was talking to William and the next she was kissing him. Her first kiss ever… it felt good. She closed her eyes and felt his arm wrap around her body. She understood what the big deal was; this kissing thing was all right.

But as quickly as it had started William broke away from her. She looked into his eyes. Eyes she had probably looked into everyday for the last eight years but in all that time she never saw what she was looking at right at that instant. Desire, fear, longing, and lust swirled around them.

“How about now?” William answered whilst trying to get his breath back. “Now is good for me.”


~

Spike woke up with the worst hangover ever. He tried to remember what he was drinking last night. He couldn’t remember. “Think, brain, think. I finished the show, signed some autographs and got on the bus.”

Spike couldn’t remember what happened after he got on the bus. He suddenly became very aware that he wasn’t on the bus anymore. Instead, he was in hospital lying in bed with only a gown covering him.

‘They don’t hospitalise you for hangovers, do they?’ he thought to himself.

“Oh bollocks.” He didn’t realise that he had said it out loud as the nurse came in.

“No, your bollocks are fine according to the nurse who gave you a sponge bath. Your leg, however, was not so lucky, I’m afraid.” The nurse lifted his arm to check his pulse.

“You are a popular man, Mr. Giles. You should see the reporters outside just wanting to see if you are all right. You some kind of celebrity or something?” The nurse had now moved on to taking his blood pressure.

“Or something.” Spike replied. “Do you know what happened to me?” He winced as he tried to move his legs but found that his right one was too heavy and sore to move.

The nurse stopped what she was doing and looked at him. “The doctor will be here soon to give you all the details, but you were in an accident.” Spike felt sick as he remembered the rest of his band.

“Is everyone else ok?” Spike asked. If he lost anyone from his band he would be devastated.

Over the past four years they had become more like family than his own.

“Everyone is fine, my darling.” Spike looked up to see Dru walking into the room. “It’s you they are all worried about. How is my dark prince?” Dru ran her hand along his bruised brow. Spike caught her hand and kissed it.

“I am fine Princess… my leg hurts like a bitch but I’ll live.”

~

“Do you know Spike Giles?” The sound of that name caused Buffy to wince.

Buffy looked at Dr. Riley Finn in shock.

On the surface it seemed like an easy yes or no question. Did she know Spike Giles? The short answer was no. The man Buffy knew was not Spike Giles. The man she knew was William Giles, geek to the core who had a passion for eighteenth century literature and wrote poetry in his spare time. A man whose idea of a good Saturday night was sitting in and watching the History channel. A man who had whispered sonnets in her ears as she lay in his arms.

No, she didn’t know Spike Giles, whose interview in Rolling Stone was a series of cobbled together monosyllabic grunts that passed as cutting edge journalism. A man whose sneer and leer could be seen on high rotation in every one of his videos on MTV. She didn’t know the Spike Giles who tore her heart out all for the sake of a chance at the big time and a shot at his dark princess.

“No,” she answered Riley. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, it’s just that his girlfriend-come-manager insisted that you were not to come up and see him. Said you were some kind of crazed fan.” Buffy laughed.

“Yeah because I find the rock stylings of a Billy Idol wannabe trying to relate to the disaffected youth while still trying to be “hip” so appealing.”

Riley just stared at Buffy as she had her outburst. They had been friends since med school; Riley had always wanted more but Buffy had given off a please-don’t-like-me-in-that-way vibe.

But as fate would have it they were both interns at the same hospital and lunch together had become one of their routines. He liked where this all seemed to be heading and with the hospital gala coming up he knew he was a shoe-in to be her date.

“Sorry I brought it up. Anyway… about the hospital gala?” Riley started.

“Is he going to be ok?’ Buffy asked despite her pledge to herself not to know or care about Spike.

“Who Spike? Yeah he will be fine… six weeks in rehab for the leg and then he will be right as rain,” Riley answered, eager to get back to the matter of the gala.

“What do you mean? Six weeks here at this hospital?” Buffy heart started to race and not in a good way. How would she handle being in the same hospital as Spike for six weeks? They were bound to run into each other. This was not good.

“Can’t he be transferred to another hospital…I mean we aren’t the best in town. Maybe one closer to his family.” Buffy was searching her brain for reasons to get him out of her life. “Surely one closer to his family would help speed up the recovery process.”

“According to Drusilla he has no family here in the States so this place is as good as any.”

Buffy closed her eyes letting the situation sink in… six weeks… six weeks with Spike in close quarters. Then she looked up at Riley.

“Who told you that again?”

“Drusilla.”

Buffy winced at the sound of her name.

“His girlfriend… the one who said you were a crazed fan.”

Buffy took a deep breath this was going to be a long six weeks.