Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow thanks guys for all the great feedback its more that i ever expected. As for the Spuffy it will come ............
Spike sat by the window feeling pleased with himself. Not only had he managed to hop over to the window, but also he had also opened it, lit a cigarette and was taking his first drag relishing in the feeling of the smoke filling his lungs.

“What the hell do you think you are doing?” Tara walked in.

“Bollocks!” he said as he stubbed it out on the windowsill. “Painting a wall, what does it look like?”

“It looks like you are trying to kill yourself in the slowest most painful way possible!” Tara replied.

“And here I was thinking that was your job, pet.” Spike mumbled to himself.

“I heard that, and if you are well enough to smoke out the window you are well enough to use your crutches to get to the gym today.” Tara picked them up and handed him them.

“I was hoping for another spin around… thought I could challenge one of the patients of ward five to a race.” Spike looked truly disappointed.

Tara shot him a look that already told him what her answer would be.

“You know, pet, I think you get off on torturing me.”

Spike could not help but smile as he placed the crutches under his arms. As much as he hated to admit it physio was becoming one of the highlights of his day. This in itself was not saying much when all he had to do was sit and watch either the TV or the walls. Neither of which seemed that appealing to him. Then he had an idea.

“Tara can you get someone to call Drusilla? I need my guitar.”

~

Once Spike and Tara had finally reached the gym they had settled into the session quickly. Spike was lying on the mats and Tara had his leg resting on her shoulder stretching it out.

“I kinda feel that this position is wasted on me,” she said as she pushed against Spike’s leg.

“What do you mean pet?” He asked trying not to show her how much pain she was putting him through.

“Well it’s just most of the female staff and a few of the male ones would kill to be in my position right now.” She placed the leg back down on the mat. “Now you try to lift it.”

Spike struggled as he tried to lift his good leg. It was not easy. Tara could see the struggle and offered a little help.

“Is that right luv? Don’t know what all the fuss is about. I’m just a guy with a broken leg.”

Tara could not help but laugh at that statement. Just a guy indeed… since admitting Spike into the hospital there had been reporters camped outside the place twenty-four/seven. In addition, she had lost count of the number of fans that had tried to pass themselves off as hospital staff just to give him a sponge bath.

“You can’t be serious ‘Mr Pin-up boy, I’ve been on the cover of Rolling Stone’. Voted hottest guy in rock three years in a row by Teen People. You have absolutely no idea why girls throw themselves at you?” Spike looked at her puzzled.

“You seem to know a lot about me for someone who is not interested pet.” He smirked.

“I’m gay, Spike, not blind. I know what you are to those women.” She took his foot and started to move it from side to side.

“It’s an illusion,” Spike answered quietly. “For all the rock star bravado I may seem to have some days I still feel like the ponce I was in high school.”

“Ponce? What do you mean?” she asked

“Nerd… I was a nerd. All floppy hair and glasses -- nose always in a book. My idea of a hot Saturday night was watching the History Channel.” Spike smiled at the memory.

“Must have been lonely for you?”

“You would think so, but no. I had friends… had a best friend. She and I did everything together. We knew we were not high on the social evolutionary scale, but we didn’t care, you know. We just did our own thing our own way.” Spike was losing himself to the memories.

“So what does this best friend think of your new look?” She looked at him; he seemed a million miles away.

“I don’t know… I suspect she’s not a fan. We don’t speak any more. I haven’t seen her in years.” Spike’s smile disappeared from his face.

“Why, what happened?”

Spike’s blue orbs turned cold, as he seemed to look right through Tara.

“I hurt the girl.”

~

Buffy stared down Drusilla. She may have taken Will away but dammed if she was going to take her strength as well.

“Didn’t you read the sign, ‘Doctors Only’?” Unless they have started giving away medical degrees on the back of Wheeties packets, I suggest you leave,” Buffy ground out.

“Tsk, tsk, Sunshine. No need to get catty. We all know what a lousy pussy you are.” Drusilla circled around Buffy. “At least that’s what my William told me.”

Buffy fought back the tears at the sound of Will’s name. “He was never your William, Dru! He was always mine!”

Drusilla stopped and looked Buffy straight in the eye.

“Lies don’t suit you Sunshine, so don’t even try to deny it. You never told him did you? You had him where you wanted him… in your arms, in your heart, in your bed, but you couldn’t keep him could you? All you had to do was say the words.” Drusilla watched for Buffy’s reaction.

Buffy looked away. She could not let this happen, not again. This women had come and snatched William away from her once before, she was not going to let her take her dignity as well.

“What bothers you more, Dru? That I had him first or that in the back of your mind you know he will never feel with you one tenth of what he felt in one night with me.” Buffy knew she was lying, but she did not care. She wanted Drusilla to pay.

“But who gets the last laugh, Sunshine? At least I know William loves me… he tells me everyday. Every time he kisses me, every time he fu….” A slap across the face cut her off.

“I suggest Ms. Simons that you leave before I call security because as much as you can keep me away from Will’s ward I can just as easily have you kept out of this hospital… permanently!” Buffy glared at Drusilla with all the determination she could muster.

Drusilla turned to leave.

“This isn’t over, Sunshine,” she called over her shoulder.

“I know,” Buffy said to herself. “Not by a long shot.”